Peter Chiarelli Why Did You Trade Tayor Hall *****fest Bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I have barely addressed the Hall trade in this thread. I'm more concerned about the ****ty defense, crappy wingers, and questionable goaltending.

The name change undermines what the topic is about. It's about the many, many mistakes of Peter Chiarelli and why he deserves the pinkest slip, not about one trade he made years ago.

If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, I don't really care. But it's not fair when a mod changes a thread title to alter the context of an entire conversation.
You're not alone in the thread though, and even if you are right on the issue I still think a name change is justified. This is almost exclusively a thread to complain and/or insult Chia, his moves and Oilers players on the other side of what are considered to be ****** trades. That is not what everyone expects considering that some posters don't consider 16/17 to be a fluke season.

Honestly, this place (hfoil) is on the verge of being more depressing now than it was at any time during the years of darkness. After last game and without actual real info I could have sworn that we just lost the 6th straight game.

Edit: by the way I thoght I had left this thread for a month starting yesterday, but the name change confused me dammit!

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have barely addressed the Hall trade in this thread. I'm more concerned about the ****ty defense, crappy wingers, and questionable goaltending.

The name change undermines what the topic is about. It's about the many, many mistakes of Peter Chiarelli and why he deserves the pinkest slip, not about one trade he made years ago.

If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, I don't really care. But it's not fair when a mod changes a thread title to alter the context of an entire conversation.
It’s a joke that the title was changed.

Reactions: Aerrol and oXo Cube

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Oilers are in a similar situation to the Islanders-Tavares-Garth Snow.

They kept a bad GM around because they scraped into the playoffs a few times and every time that happened it gave Garth Snow more rope.

But he never could build a high end team there because he was a mediocre GM and the franchise screwed themselves by not firing him and getting over sentimental over a playoff berth.

I think we're sadly in the same boat. I want to make the playoffs for McDavid's sake, he deserves it, but making it means more Chiarelli which long term IMO keeps us away from competing for a Cup because he's an idiot.

space321

May 11, 2011
I used to wander past the Chis thread in the past thinking to find info about Chia such as interviews etc. and of course a bit of healthy discussion. But all I always saw was page after page brining up Hall, Eberle, ... etc etc etc. and bashing of posters and opinions (from both sides).

So I definitely think a name change of this thread is justified, posters should be able to understand to a certain extent what a thread is about by reading its title.

The previous title was "Chiarelli your time has come to an end", that's plenty clear as to what the thread will be about. If you thought you were gonna get interviews then that's your own fault.

The mod who changed the title just wants everyone else to "get over the Hall trade", so he got pissy even though it was established on page 1 that this is a Chiarelli debate thread. It's not our fault that all we can talk about Chiarelli is how terrible he's been. We're not crying about not having Hall back, we're talking about how Chiarelli f***ed this team up and doesn't deserve another job in the NHL, let alone finish the season as Oilers GM.

Reactions: Aerrol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're not alone in the thread though, and even if you are right on the issue I still think a name change is justified. This is almost exclusively a thread to complain and/or insult Chia, his moves and Oilers players on the other side of what are considered to be ****** trades. That is not what everyone expects considering that some posters don't consider 16/17 to be a fluke season.

Honestly, this place (hfoil) is on the verge of being more depressing now than it was at any time during the years of darkness. After last game and without actual real info I could have sworn that we just lost the 6th straight game.

Edit: by the way I thoght I had left this thread for a month starting yesterday, but the name change confused me dammit!
I'll admit that I do insult the GM quite a fair bit (Tobias Funke), but he has simply not delivered on what he was brought in to do. The Oilers have an incredibly talented center core and essentially nothing around it. I don't consider the 16/17 to be a fluke season but perhaps more of an illusion of what the team was capable of.

As to the bolded, I can explain that. During the decade of darkness it became more and more clear that the Oilers just couldn't contend without some elite talent spread throughout the lineup, and happened to tank during some rather... unimpressive draft years. Now the Oilers have elite talent, at least at center and are still drowning due to the same problems that plagued the organization previously, questionable drafting/development (Jesse P), signings (Lucic, Russell), and trades (Eberle, Hall, Reinhart). The only difference is that now there's a GM from outside the organization doing these things, but the results are remarkably similar to what we've seen before.

Last year was the first time I started feeling like there wasn't any hope for this team, even with McDavid. Even during the decade of darkness I still tuned into games, no matter who the Oilers were playing or how bad they were at the time (remember that entire month they didn't win a game?), but last year... Woof. The team was done by Halloween despite a pretty light schedule. No effort was made to improve a roster that had Stanley Cup aspirations and even as early as game 2 in the season there were alarming signs, as the team got run over by the Canucks despite losing by just a goal. This offseason, the GM brought in a backup goalie and a pair of bottom 6 forwards which addressed some concerns but most of the major ones still remain.

The cap situation is quite frankly not pretty. There isn't much room next year to fill 2 goalie spots and presumably a forward or two. Chiarelli has painted his team into an uncomfortable corner and the best the team can hope for is to sneak in the playoffs. If our best player was Hall or someone of that ilk, I'd be okay with at least making the playoffs... But we have Connor McDavid. There's no reason why this team shouldn't at bare minimum be a playoff contender. He is scary good. He can singlehandedly win us games and has already done that a few times this year. But if you can't succeed with that player, then I'm sorry, but you should never work in the NHL ever again. The Oilers were gifted the best of the best and he's been so good... And to surround him with this loser of a roster is insulting. I understand fully that building a team is not easy... But what has Chiarelli actually improved since he was hired? We've spent a wealth of decent assets and the defense is marginally better than when he began. And that to me is his second biggest failing behind not icing a competitive roster around McDavid.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I mean, I understand the Taylor Hall trade. I don't really like it, but you can see the logic a bit.

I think the move that bothers me the most is moving a 1st and 2nd for Griffin Reinhart. Everyone talked about how deep the 2015 draft was. We could have had Barzal+ on this team. It was a very high risk low reward play on a team that had nothing but time...

Sad part is we keep Eberle and Hall on top of that and suddenly our top 6 looks absolutely nutty.

He made the big moves we wanted ... but he missed or failed most of those big moves. He does well with the smaller day to day trades though.

space321

May 11, 2011
I mean, I understand the Taylor Hall trade. I don't really like it, but you can see the logic a bit.

I think the move that bothers me the most is moving a 1st and 2nd for Griffin Reinhart. Everyone talked about how deep the 2015 draft was. We could have had Barzal+ on this team. It was a very high risk low reward play on a team that had nothing but time...

Sad part is we keep Eberle and Hall on top of that and suddenly our top 6 looks absolutely nutty.

He made the big moves we wanted ... but he missed or failed most of those big moves. He does well with the smaller day to day trades though.

If McDavid didn't miss half the season, perhaps we could've seen how 2 dominating lines would look, and then perhaps Chiarelli wouldn't have thrown away Hall for a second pairing D. He overreacted to the moon after the 2015-2016 season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If McDavid didn't miss half the season, perhaps we could've seen how 2 dominating lines would look, and then perhaps Chiarelli wouldn't have thrown away Hall for a second pairing D. He overreacted to the moon after the 2015-2016 season.

To be honest that team was still playing alright up until Klefbom got hurt even without McDavid. Summer 2016 was too big of an overreaction and the team got blinded by throwing money at Lucic.

If they had Klefbom + McDavid for 75+ games each they probably finish a good 12-16 points better that season, which would have been an acceptable 1st year, even the Penguins and Caps were awful in Crosby and Ovechkin's rookie seasons.

RNH also missed like 26 games that season on top of McDavid missing almost half the season and Klefbom missing like 50 games. How can you properly evaluate a team on that basis. Not to mention Draisaitl was effectively a rookie who was gassed by the end of the season in part because RNH got hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilWILDcountry

space321

May 11, 2011
To be honest that team was still playing alright up until Klefbom got hurt even without McDavid. Summer 2016 was too big of an overreaction and the team got blinded by throwing money at Lucic.

If they had Klefbom + McDavid for 75+ games each they probably finish a good 12-16 points better that season, which would have been an acceptable 1st year, even the Penguins and Caps were awful in Crosby and Ovechkin's rookie seasons.

RNH also missed like 26 games that season on top of McDavid missing almost half the season and Klefbom missing like 50 games. How can you properly evaluate a team on that basis. Not to mention Draisaitl was effectively a rookie who was gassed by the end of the season.

Oh yah I forgot about the other injuries. All in the name of #BOLDMOVES. I remember people were praising Chiarelli for having the guts to trade Hall, but like bold =/= good.

Sigh...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh yah I forgot about the other injuries. All in the name of #BOLDMOVES. I remember people were praising Chiarelli for having the guts to trade Hall, but like bold =/= good.

Sigh...

More proof 15-16 was an overreaction, Draisaitl in 15-16 had something like 35 points in his first 40 games that season, but RNH gets hurt right around Leon's 40th game.

After that Leon struggled likely having to take harder minutes that RNH would've sheltered him from, but Hall + Draisaitl got blamed for "not caring".

Injuries totally decimated that team and Draisaitl was playing his first full season and not able to burden such a heavy load, first McDavid got hurt, then RNH gets hurt.

Overreaction to that season was really stupid.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Hypothetical top 9:

Debrincat-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Drai-Aho
Tkachuk-RNH-Barzal

lol

Even funnier? That whole bunch costs all of like $3M more than the current Oilers top 9 (assuming Drai still gets $8.5M playing away from McDavid). Fun stuff!

Last edited:

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I don't care about Barzal and/or Aho. We weren't drafting either. The rumors were at 16 it was between Svechnikov or Eriksson Ek. At 33 though we liked Brandon Carlo which would have been a very solid pickup.

Honestly I get the need for dmen in that draft. But instead of G. Reinhart why not keep the picks and take Chabot at 16 and Carlo at 22?

Our defense would have been much more solid with those two guys then what we are trotting out today. Heck maybe it also leads Chia not to trade Hall a year later to address the issue on Defense

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't care about Barzal and/or Aho. We weren't drafting either. The rumors were at 16 it was between Svechnikov or Eriksson Ek. At 33 though we liked Brandon Carlo which would have been a very solid pickup.

Honestly I get the need for dmen in that draft. But instead of G. Reinhart why not keep the picks and take Chabot at 16 and Carlo at 22?

Our defense would have been much more solid with those two guys then what we are trotting out today. Heck maybe it also leads Chia not to trade Hall a year later to address the issue on Defense

You take the best player available. Screw position. This team should know that by now.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think the Oilers are in a similar situation to the Islanders-Tavares-Garth Snow.

They kept a bad GM around because they scraped into the playoffs a few times and every time that happened it gave Garth Snow more rope.

But he never could build a high end team there because he was a mediocre GM and the franchise screwed themselves by not firing him and getting over sentimental over a playoff berth.

I think we're sadly in the same boat. I want to make the playoffs for McDavid's sake, he deserves it, but making it means more Chiarelli which long term IMO keeps us away from competing for a Cup because he's an idiot.

Yes, I wish Katz ect were smarter but I think your correct. Chia keeps his job cause McD scrapes us into he playoffs a few times. We will look back after his stay here as a utter failure in we were never a great team, just a good enough one. His 8 years will sadly go by like Tavares time on the Islanders. Then McD will jump ship as fast as possible and finally win a cup.

If McD got hurt you would see how horrible this team really is.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
More proof 15-16 was an overreaction, Draisaitl in 15-16 had something like 35 points in his first 40 games that season, but RNH gets hurt right around Leon's 40th game.

After that Leon struggled likely having to take harder minutes that RNH would've sheltered him from, but Hall + Draisaitl got blamed for "not caring".

Injuries totally decimated that team and Draisaitl was playing his first full season and not able to burden such a heavy load, first McDavid got hurt, then RNH gets hurt.

Overreaction to that season was really stupid.

The sad part is I am not sure Chia would have done much differently even if those injuries didn't occur. I agree it wouldn't have been as bad though. Chia had his head set on rebuilding the Bruins the second he got the job. One way or the other he was going to bleed talent to get the team he thought would win.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't care about Barzal and/or Aho. We weren't drafting either.

Yes because this team is stupid.

Hopefully Gretzky's drafts are bulletproof because 2015 and 2016 are looking like washouts (McDavid and maybe Bear aside, but I don't see where the latter fits in long term now that Bouchard is in the mix).

Because neither of those guys would have provided immediate help and there was IMO intense pressure to improve no matter what the long-term costs were.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They could have still signed Russell + Demers in summer 2016. Are they lights out players? No. Are they NHL caliber D-Men ... yes. Take Sergachev at no.4. And the blue line starts to take shape at least long term.

Forget about Lucic. It was a dumb idea from day 1 we already had added Maroon and Kassian for peanuts and weren't as small of a team anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad