GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Where is the vast improvement? The AHL team was a mess last season. Who is exceeding expectations at the pro level? Bear did ok but wasn't really a big stand out. It's too early to tell obviously but I don't see any major improvements in development thus far.
Well it was a mess since we had a bunch of injuries on the main team and the players on the Condors hated the coach they had.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Where is the vast improvement? The AHL team was a mess last season. Who is exceeding expectations at the pro level? Bear did ok but wasn't really a big stand out. It's too early to tell obviously but I don't see any major improvements in development thus far.
The team was run poorly and was overplaying ahl vets over developing prospects and their first and second yeah Ahlers are trending up. You dont have to have a great minor league team to develop your core group. They made the semi finals a year under Nelson with a pretty underwhelming roster, so its not always so black and white.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The team was run poorly and was overplaying ahl vets over developing prospects and their first and second yeah Ahlers are trending up. You dont have to have a great minor league team to develop your core group. They made the semi finals a year under Nelson with a pretty underwhelming roster, so its not always so black and white.

That's fair but I'm failing to see the vast improvement from the previous regime. Which young players are exceeding expectations against higher competition?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's fair but I'm failing to see the vast improvement from the previous regime. Which young players are exceeding expectations against higher competition?
Safin and Maksimov are exceeding expectations from their draft position. Ethan Bear was the WHL player of the year. Stuart Skinner won a WHL championship and then went on to put up one if the most incredible goaltending performances in memorial cup history.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Safin and Maksimov are exceeding expectations from their draft position. Ethan Bear was the WHL player of the year. Stuart Skinner won a WHL championship and then went on to put up one if the most incredible goaltending performances in memorial cup history.

"higher competition"

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don’t follow this closely but I thought some were predicting as high as 85. What happened?
I am not sure $85M was ever really likely.

In October this was my take:
\
My rosy cap predictions are looking a little more tentative right now with the BOC backing off on interest rate hikes. As of today I'd still say there is a 50-50 chance that cap hits $80M next year but it will be harder to go much above. Maroon's numbers right now are probably a bit of an issue for Chia since he could well put himself in range for more than I would like them to pay. I still say if they sign him that going long to reduce the cap is the way to go.

The two factors that have reduced the number from some of the higher projections are the NHLPA's decision to go with a 1.2% escalator rather than 5% and the drop in the $CDN from its value when the $85M was floated. The first factor took $3M off the cap and the latter probably about $500K. Add $3.5M and you are at $83M.

The good news is that revenues rose 6.2%. If the dollar stays flat and the revenues grow at the same rate next year we would have a cap of about $84.5.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It looks decent on my wife's sister.
Q2FTfRc.gif

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
This is one draft I want PC to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Draft and that's all please.

Amen to that.

I know we need stuff and all (though just the possibility of having a healthy Klefbom and Sekera back in the lineup would be a big boost to that back end), but if there's any weekend where I would rather see Chia's smartphone ripped out of his sweaty hands and chucked into a river, it's this one.

Seeing another trade of 1st and 2nd rounders for some other team's 3rd tier "on the cusp" prospect might just cure me of life. :/

Or another one of these: "Bob McKenzie reports...wow...that the trade is ONE FOR ONE. No picks going the other way."

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Amen to that.

I know we need stuff and all (though just the possibility of having a healthy Klefbom and Sekera back in the lineup would be a big boost to that back end), but if there's any weekend where I would rather see Chia's smartphone ripped out of his sweaty hands and chucked into a river, it's this one.

Seeing another trade of 1st and 2nd rounders for some other team's 3rd tier "on the cusp" prospect might just cure me of life. :/

Or another one of these: "Bob McKenzie reports...wow...that the trade is ONE FOR ONE. No picks going the other way."

If we can come out of tommorow with Boqvist(or better), and do nothing else, I'll be a happy camper. I'm worried that we are gonna get shafted like our last 1st rounder we moved. I have zero faith he could get good value with our pick, so for the love of god just use it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Nothing really new, I just found it amusing because:

1 - Chia's getup makes him look like one of my old substitute teachers I used to have for math class in junior high.

2 - Stauffer always comes across so, so stiff and awkward in these 'Panel' videos the Oilers put it. It's like someone completely smashed, trying too hard to act sober.

3 - Say you want about Jack Michaels, but I actually like him most in these panels. He looks comfortable, confident and doesn't rely on stale catchphrases like "I would suggest to you" Stauffer does.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The oilers always have a host of great looking players....as long as they are in junior. Bear is the only guy of recent that looks like he could be a steal. We have gone thorough dozens of good looking juniors that fail at the next level.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Amen to that.

When was the last trade the oilers traded there own first rounder in? No not the Reinhart deal because that wasn’t there pick. But sure keep drafting that’s helping this rebuild along!

I’m all for Chia not doing something stupid, but it’s about time we get some quality and attempt to take a run at it, I for one would rather see an impact player next year, rather then another prospect that “might” be able to contribute solidly in 4 years.

Outside of Leon D and Klefbom, the majority of our first rounders have been disappointments thus far. Move it for something proven already

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The cap situation combined with the Oilers' apparently completely inept pro scouts/general manager will make it near impossible to just magically acquire an impact player.

The draft is this team's only way up. They've spent the last couple of summers committing to mediocrity and now they'll have to draft their way out of it over the next 3-4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad