GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The death by a thousand cuts meme is getting annoying.quit it.
You know Chiarelli's the one who used that term, right?

I am not a big anti-Chia guy. But when it comes to cap management he really does seem to have difficulties.
And it's not like he didn't know this was coming. He doesn't just struggle with the cap, he seems to struggle with all forms of negotiation.

For instance, we're paying our backup goalie (or one of them anyway) more than 50% of what we're currently paying our starter. A guy that has less NHL games to his credit than people have fingers on a single hand.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
You know Chiarelli's the one who used that term, right?
so it does not mean you have to repeat it a million times.

And it's not like he didn't know this was coming. He doesn't just struggle with the cap, he seems to struggle with all forms of negotiation.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why not? It's a very apt analogy of the Oilers current situation. Little blunder after little blunder. An overpay here, a botched trade there...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Most contracts were signed under a lower cap so not a fair comparison. You can only compare those contracts to the recent comparables whoever that is or calculate how much cap percentage their contracts take up compared to the rest of the league.

In this case that argument does not really apply. There are not a lot of third pairing defensemen on long deals and almost none who earn less than $2M.

The reality is that the median salary for third pairing defenseman excluding ELC's is just over $1M. Even as the cap rises this number does not change all that much because this is a slot that most teams use to save money on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In this case that argument does not really apply. There are not a lot of third pairing defensemen on long deals and almost none who earn less than $2M.

Yeah but even if they were signed just last season, it was under a $5M lower cap so 1.5 and 1.9 AAV now isn't what 1.5 and 1.9 was even last season. The market changes every season, you know this.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah but even if they were signed just last season, it was under a $5M lower cap so 1.5 and 1.9 AAV now isn't what 1.5 and 1.9 was even last season. The market changes every season, you know this.
Again, this is not relevant for the role Benning plays. There is very little inflation for the bottom pairing. Since 2014-2015 the median salary for a bottom pairing defenseman has gone up by about $100k.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The Oilers will spend 19.6 million dollars on the following:

Milan Lucic, Kris Russell, Andrej Sekera, Mikko Koskinen, Pouliot/Gryba buyouts.

Kill me now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
So in summary, this off season Chia has done this:
- 3 Overpays
- Failed to capdump Lucic
- Failed to upgrade defence

Garbage as usual in Edmonton.

Wow. Such misplaced anger. Give it a week and a half.

I still don't think is Benning an overpay. Caggiula sure, but all things considered I think the two contracts are a wash.

Looch cannot be dumped until the bonus is paid on Canada day at the earliest.

Have there been any trades at all in the league so far that would be near the level of upgrading the Oilers D?

Reactions: Cypress

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Again, this is not relevant for the role Benning plays. There is very little inflation for the bottom pairing. Since 2014-2015 the median salary for a bottom pairing defenseman has gone up by about $100k.

Ok, here's a comparable. Grzelcyk from Boston got $1.4 per over 2 years with just 1 season of decent production under his belt while Benning played a pretty key role on a contending team last season and outproduced Grzelcyk this season. You don't think that's worth at least a few hundred K more? I'm not even a big Benning fan but I fully expected around 2M for him so this contract didn't surprise me one bit.

On the other hand, the Gryba buyout perplexes me. Why he gave him a 2 year deal in the first place perplexes me which is now stretched out to a 3 year deal essentially.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

The massive increase in right shot D value is relevant.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
The Oilers will spend 19.6 million dollars on the following:

Milan Lucic, Kris Russell, Andrej Sekera, Mikko Koskinen, Pouliot/Gryba buyouts.

Kill me now.

Two players will be off the books in the up coming season.Also the Goalie can go to the AHL if he does not show he belongs in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ok, here's a comparable. Grzelcyk from Boston got $1.4 per over 2 years with just 1 season of decent production under his belt while Benning played a pretty key role on a contending team last season and outproduced Grzelcyk this season. You don't think that's worth at least a few hundred K more? I'm not even a big Benning fan but I fully expected around 2M for him.
Yeah. If you want to nickle and dime it maybe 100k overpaid but really. Caggiula overpays? For sure.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Ok, here's a comparable. Grzelcyk from Boston got $1.4 per over 2 years with just 1 season of decent production under his belt while Benning played a pretty key role on a contending team last season and outproduced Grzelcyk this season. You don't think that's worth at least a few hundred K more? I'm not even a big Benning fan but I fully expected around 2M for him.

Bingo. Anyone complaining about Benning being an overpay will literally complain about any Chiarelli signing as an overpay.

Any attempts to statistically 'prove' that Benning was an overpay are easily refuted.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Two players will off the books in the up coming season.,also the Goalie can go to the AHL if he does not show he belongs in the NHL.

The max you can save on Koskinen is 1.025M on the cap. He will still count for 1.475M if in the minors.

In that case, the Oilers would have Montoya as backup, who is currently at 1.0625M.

So sending Koskinen down likely means adding $350K to our cap.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
The max you can save on Koskinen is 1.025M on the cap. He will still count for 1.475M if in the minors.

In that case, the Oilers would have Montoya as backup, who is currently at 1.0625M.

Wait ,I thought no cap get allocated to the cap when the player goes to minors

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ok, here's a comparable. Grzelcyk from Boston got $1.4 per over 2 years with just 1 season of decent production under his belt while Benning played a pretty key role on a contending team last season and outproduced Grzelcyk this season. You don't think that's worth at least a few hundred K more? I'm not even a big Benning fan but I fully expected around 2M for him so this contract didn't surprise me one bit.

On the other hand, the Gryba buyout perplexes me. Why he gave him a 2 year deal in the first place perplexes me which is now stretched out to a 3 year deal essentially.
This is conveniently forgetting that Benning was a complete tirefire very early in the season and only started to come around when the season was well out of reach.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

I imagine Koskinen will head back to the KHL should a long-term AHL assignment be in the cards.

Reactions: LaGu

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

The first two lines are correct, the math is wrong though: You're forgetting to subtract the bury-able cap from Montoya's contract when he's in the minors, where he costs 37.5k against the cap. So sending Koskinen down and bringing Montoya up would actually add pretty much the full non-bury-able cost of Koskinen to the cap hit. 1.4375M to be exact.

Yeah, this buyout was baffling. Two ideas thrown around were:
1. Frees up a roster spot
2. Opens up ice-time for other prospects

1. Seems minor, maybe we do need that spot to fill out the full roster including two way contracts (not super familiar with the bakersfield lineup), doesn't seem very significant.
2. Give more ice-time to prospects. Why not just sit him in the press-box though and give the ice-time anway? This leads to a third point:

3. Maybe they don't want him around their prospects at all because he's a slow clutch-and-grab dinosaur that might teach bad habits?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People are acting like Benning making 5th D-man type money is okay. Its only OKAY because the Oilers are essentially 1-2 D-men additions from having an actual NHL quality D. If Chia finally gets that RHD he's been failing to add since he got here, Benning slots into his correct role at 7D. How's 1.9M dollars not in the line up for you? Is it an overpay then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad