GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
These names mean nothing until we start seeing them contributing in the NHL. We’ve had plenty of guys that have looked like good prospects a year or two post draft. Then they disappear. I can’t think of many off seasons in the last 10 years where fans haven’t been excited about the prospects. That talk doesn’t interest me anymore. I’ll believe the drafting and development has improved when I see some of these guys competing and legitimately winning NHL jobs. That they look good in the minors or junior is meaningless to me.

Will take time. You are right that until they do something in the NHL, it doesnt really mean a whole lot. But in the past I dont think we even really had any good prospects that were even worth talking about.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I loved the old Oilers too, back in the eighties. Let’s be honest though, those guys couldn’t get out of town fast enough and for good reasons. I don’t blame them for that. They did, though, stay away for years. The only reason they’re back now is because Katz is the only one willing to pay them now.
I disagree ,then agin you were the one who suggested Wayne Gretzky should have bout the Oilers back in the 90s when he was still playing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hard to stand up to a boss/owner that meddles in the business.

Exactly.
The other aspect of this is that if it continues then there will be one more reason for NHL people to avoid Edmonton.
A behind the scenes meddling owner is not part of a healthy and dynamic working environment.

Why would a quality GM or coach want to work in a situation where the owner will be imposing his will and going over their heads when he sees fit?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Exactly.
The other aspect of this is that if it continues then there will be one more reason for NHL people to avoid Edmonton.
A behind the scenes meddling owner is not part of a healthy and dynamic working environment.

Why would a quality GM or coach want to work in a situation where the owner will be imposing his will and going over their heads when he sees fit?

did you miss Ted Leonsis standing front and centre with OV in their cup parade?

I agree with your point that it starts at the top for sure......but I wouldn't really know tbe degree to which Katz is dysfunctional ....in general or in comparison to other teams.....

IT certainly seems like their are a number of owners who are fairly involved in their teams......and in directing the league itself.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
did you miss Ted Leonsis standing front and centre with OV in their cup parade?

I agree with your point that it starts at the top for sure......but I wouldn't really know tbe degree to which Katz is dysfunctional ....in general or in comparison to other teams.....

IT certainly seems like their are a number of owners who are fairly involved in their teams......and in directing the league itself.

What does Ted Leonsis standing beside Ovi in a parade have to do with anything?

Surely you cant be creating an equivalency between that and what Katz does.

Reactions: Aerrol

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly.

Chia's hands were probably tied on day one. It probably doesn't help his cause with Katz's idols whispering in his ear from time to time. I don't think this dynamic changes without a drastic consequence unfortunately being a perennial loser isn't enough.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I suppose the question to Chia was appropriate, sure.

Is it appropriate to whine about a trade until you're on your death bed? How many years does the average adult take to get over loss?
I haven't been whining about it all along and I'm not on my death bed, so what's your point?

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
He has not done any meddling for last two years.It all Peter Chiaerlli decisions ,whatever Mark Spector says.
I have some east coast buddies that drunk text better than you post. Simple sentence structure and spelling goes a long way, just saying ;)

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Chia's hands were probably tied on day one. It probably doesn't help his cause with Katz's idols whispering in his ear from time to time. I don't think this dynamic changes without a drastic consequence unfortunately being a perennial loser isn't enough.
:facepalm: This is PC Team,katz has no say on anything on this team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
:mad: we are not doing the same thing we Mcdavid and Draisatl.
Sure looks like it to me. We’ve given such a high percentage of the cap to two kids at 20 and 21 years of age and forcing them to carry the load because we can’t afford to pay anybody else. Maybe you didn’t notice how thin the roster was at forward last year. I’m not necessarily blaming management for this because this is how the league operates now. I just don’t think this system works and I’ve brought it up a few times.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I have been wondering that very thing which is why I am willing to cut Chia a little slack.

I have been a Manager in a company and had an owner tell me that my decision (for an IT infrastructure installation) was too expensive and that short cuts will be expected and I should be responsible for the situation anyway.
I said to him that I am willing to accept that decision as long as he accepts responsibility for the outcome. I told him that I would not embrace the outcome of a decision I knew was likely to be a potentially serious problem.
Was I sweating bullets...hell yes!
In the end they spent the extra money and I gained a measure of respect because I stood my ground.

So its likely that Chai is having to put up with Katz and his red wine summits but we dont know if he has stood his ground.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I disagree ,then agin you were the one who suggested Wayne Gretzky should have bout the Oilers back in the 90s when he was still playing.
No I didn’t. I questioned why Wayne Gretzky chose to get involved with the Phoenix Coyotes after he retired instead of getting involved with the Oilers when they were in danger of leaving Edmonton.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Sure looks like it to me. We’ve given such a high percentage of the cap to two kids at 20 and 21 years of age and forcing them to carry the load because we can’t afford to pay anybody else. Maybe you didn’t notice how thin the roster was at forward last year. I’m not necessarily blaming management for this because this is how the league operates now. I just don’t think this system works and I’ve brought it up a few times.
1.Mcdavid is considered a number one talent,so he was going to get the money
2.Drai has was a 70 point player and was going get that money anyways.
3.Noting wrong with the kids getting the money.

if you wanted watch something else,it just that the Oilers got players last time that were not allways that good as some people thought.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
1.Mcdavid is considered a number one talent,so he was going to get the money
2.Drai has was a 70 point player and was going get that money anyways.
3.Noting wrong with the kids getting the money.

if you wanted watch something else,it just that the Oilers got players last time that were not allways that good as some people thought.
Hall was good?

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
No I didn’t. I questioned why Wayne Gretzky chose to get involved with the Phoenix Coyotes after he retired instead of getting involved with the Oilers when they were in danger of leaving Edmonton.

It was a business discussion at the time Coyotes were a better money maker(yes I know that might sound wired. )since with Canadian Dollar was under parity with US dollar.also at that time we had no cap in the league.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
If English isn't your primary language then I apologize. If it is then you need to take a second because it is very hard to understand.

I have to second this. I like that you a so active but also have a hard time comprehending a lot of your posts to the point that I don't respond. I think a quick edit would do wonders.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I rather have Katz as the owner over the team relocating

Meh. I dont care any more. Let 'em move. Easy for me to say as Im older and got to enjoy the oilers before they were a joke.
Not that they will move or get a new owner. It is what it is. Katz makes his money and we can enjoy the product or not.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was a business discussion at the time Coyotes were a better money maker(yes I know that might sound wired. )since with Canadian Dollar was under parity with US dollar.also at that time we had no cap in the league.
My issue with what Gretzky did was him saying he felt it was important to save hockey in the desert when at the same time the Oilers were in danger of leaving Edmonton. I took offence to this. I respect Gretzky and will always love him as a player but I felt that was a slap in the face to Oiler fans. Good for you if you’re okey with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad