GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
After eight or so years of watching this organization try doing the same things that aren’t working over and over again I think the problem is paying big money and putting huge pressure on young kids who aren’t even remotely close to being ready for that kind of pressure. They crumble under the weight of those expectations here and don’t recover until they go somewhere else without that pressure. It’s a vicious cycle we’re in and I don’t know how we get out of it.

I agree.
It also played a part in the Hall trade. According to Renney it was ownership that put pressure on the coaching staff to play the kids all the time. I think that helped to foster some of the immaturity from Hall during his time here. Reports were that he carried himself as an untouchable because he knew the coaching staff was impotent when it came to his playing time. Ownership had spoken.

So while I agree that (immature attitude) helped seal his fate as an Oiler the part that isnt acknowledged near enough is that Kata helped to create this problem in the first place.
More Katz dysfunction.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
One constant.... Katz, Daryl. As long as he owns the team, ineptitude rules and accountability will remain non-existent.

Also, has their drafting gotten better under the new regime? Quite honestly, I see no evidence of that although early times.
Drafting has always gotten better than it previously was.;)

We’ve been hearing this through every regime change since about 2007. It’s easy to trot that line out when it takes several years to confirm either way.

Reactions: The Bored Man

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I agree.
It also played a part in the Hall trade. According to Renney it was ownership that put pressure on the coaching staff to play the kids all the time. I think that helped to foster some of the immaturity from Hall during his time here. Reports were that he carried himself as an untouchable because he knew the coaching staff was impotent when it came to his playing time. Ownership had spoken.

So while I agree that (immature attitude) helped seal his fate as an Oiler the part that isnt acknowledged near enough is that Kata helped to create this problem in the first place.
More Katz dysfunction.
Definitely agree with Halls percieved arrogance and immaturity. Seems like the trade has helped him in that regard. Too bad it couldn't have happened here.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Or they aren't going hold up Grybas career (just a glimmer of one I know) so they are allowing him to pursue an NHL job. From a business stand point it hurts the Oilers so most don't really understand it.

You could be right. I would think at 900k, Oilers could place him on regular waivers and someone would pick him with little consequence if they wanted him. But maybe if some owner only wants to give him 800k or something, because they dont think hes worth 900k its possible.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I agree.

More Katz dysfunction.
The frustrating part for me is I fear we’re doing exactly the same thing with McDavid and Draisatl.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Drafting has always gotten better than it previously was.;)

We’ve been hearing this through every regime change since about 2007. It’s easy to trot that line out when it takes several years to confirm either way.

Truth and if we're being honest, the early returns on Puljujarvi and Benson over players taken directly behind them aren't inspiring. All the others are just good junior/other league players like Marincin, Hamilton, Pitlick, Bunz etc, before them.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Definitely agree with Halls percieved arrogance and immaturity. Seems like the trade has helped him in that regard. Too bad it couldn't have happened here.

I agree but I think that Katz is the reason why it wasnt going to happen here for Hall.
In that sense Chiarellis hands were tied.
The trade IMO definitely was a spark of change for Hall. He grew up and matured because of it.

The issue for me is that if Katz had of kept his hands off of the Hockey Ops (and let the coaches decide who was going to get the most ice time instead of forcing them to showcase the kids) there wouldnt have been a problem in the first place.

So in terms of blame...I blame Katz for Chiarelli having to trade Hall. I blame Chiarelli for not getting a good enough return.
I say that as a big Larsson fan.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Truth and if we're being honest, the early returns on Puljujarvi and Benson over players taken directly behind them aren't inspiring. All the others are just good junior/other league players like Marincin, Hamilton, Pitlick, Bunz etc, before them.

I do agree on your first sentence. But the Oilers do have players in Bear, Jones, Maksimov, Safin, Samourokov, Skinner etc who look like good prospects who were drafted round 3+. The Oilers have struggled to hit anything beyond the second round for so many year. It seems like theres positive news with some of the later picks. I just wish they wouldnt of traded/lost some of the picks for Reinhart deals, gm/coach hires, etc etc.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I agree but I think that Katz is the reason why it wasnt going to happen here for Hall.
The trade IMO definitely was a spark of change for Hall. He grew up and matured because of it.

The issue for me is that if Katz had of kept his hands off of the Hockey Ops (and let the coaches decide who was going to get the most ice time instead of forcing them to showcase the kids) there wouldnt have been a problem in the first place.

So in terms of blame...I blame Katz for Chiarelli having to trade Hall. I blame Chiarelli for not getting a good enough return.
Yah I kinda like the big Swede too, doesn't do anything special but he's solid and tough.

Reactions: guymez

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think any of that had anything to do with the Hall trade.

He saw a chance to get Lucic and went googley-eyed. Moment that happened, Hall was a goner, Lucic was going to be the new center piece winger for the Oilers next to McDavid and bring us "leadership". Couldn't have 12 mill tied up on two LW plus Pouliot at 4 mill on top of that, too much money, Hall was the one that had to go to make way for King Lucic.

Then it was basically dumping Hall for whatever half way decent right shot d-man they could get, getting full value didn't matter. If it was Ceci, ok, if it was Larsson, whatever.

This is a reckless GM with an idiotic thought process.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Once again, people loooooove to bang their heads against the wall..... ouch, ouch, ouch, why? why? why? :)

You may aw well be asking why people are here at all still. Why why why? So philosophical. To Oiler or not to Oiler...

Its the nature of fandom to be locked in, but still complain about simply awful orgs. This is the worst team in the NHL since 2006. Its actually not even close in results. Simply following this club is sadness.

Reactions: Aerrol and McTedi

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

the other problem is they havn't had vets that "want" to play there. they fall apart or ask to leave.

i think its both poor attitude/professionalism on the players and an uneven playing field created by the league. and then theres media perception too.

chia and katz emptied their pockets on 1st overalls, contracts and new arena money and managed to counter that for one year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the other problem is they havn't had vets that "want" to play there. they fall apart or ask to leave.

i think its both poor attitude/professionalism on the players and an uneven playing field created by the league. and then theres media perception too.

chia and katz emptied their pockets on 1st overalls, contracts and new arena money and managed to counter that for one year.

For me the owner is never justified in imposing his will on the coaches and dictating ice time for certain players.
That is a perfect recipe for dysfunction.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I do agree on your first sentence. But the Oilers do have players in Bear, Jones, Maksimov, Safin, Samourokov, Skinner etc who look like good prospects who were drafted round 3+. The Oilers have struggled to hit anything beyond the second round for so many year. It seems like theres positive news with some of the later picks. I just wish they wouldnt of traded/lost some of the picks for Reinhart deals, gm/coach hires, etc etc.
These names mean nothing until we start seeing them contributing in the NHL. We’ve had plenty of guys that have looked like good prospects a year or two post draft. Then they disappear. I can’t think of many off seasons in the last 10 years where fans haven’t been excited about the prospects. That talk doesn’t interest me anymore. I’ll believe the drafting and development has improved when I see some of these guys competing and legitimately winning NHL jobs. That they look good in the minors or junior is meaningless to me.

Reactions: McCupofOil

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
You may aw well be asking why people are here at all still. Why why why? So philosophical. To Oiler or not to Oiler...

Its the nature of fandom to be locked in, but still complain about simply awful orgs. This is the worst team in the NHL since 2006. Its actually not even close in results. Simply following this club is sadness.
Followed this club since day one, I don't know I could even cheer for another team. But it has been an emotional roller coaster. Guys at work make fun of me for being a sucker and believing all the hype. Mind you those guys were the same band wagon jumpers in 2006 too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

dem

Mar 17, 2002

It always looks positive a year out from the draft..

Until they are producing well in professional hockey it means nothing.

You could have said the same crap about Greg Chase, Bogdan Yakimov, Marco Roy, Martin Gernat.. etc

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
For me the owner is never justified in imposing his will on the coaches and dictating ice time for certain players.
That is a perfect recipe for dysfunction.
Hard to stand up to a boss/owner that meddles in the business.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
:thumbu:No ,I have an owner who is not a crook like Melynek .I get it he loves the old oilers but the has no choice , the old oilers are the one wiling to come to Edmonton.
I loved the old Oilers too, back in the eighties. Let’s be honest though, those guys couldn’t get out of town fast enough and for good reasons. I don’t blame them for that. They did, though, stay away for years. The only reason they’re back now is because Katz is the only one willing to pay them now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
and you talk to 50 people who had to deal with him off the ice and 49 would tell you what a d-bag he was.

if he really did love the city he could have been a better person off the ice.

and you know what? none of it matters not what I say or you say.
what's done is done.

I like you, but this is not a good post.

TH was somewhat immature as befits his age. Bit of an ego as well as befits a star player. But for the most part far from what you describe. This player was, our bitching aside (due to the poor team) about as professional as he could get. he even listened to Eakins most of the time and tried to take him seriously. Even took the high road on inanity like the water bottle reaction. There are players in pro sports that wouldn't let that one, and several ones like it, die.

We have to remember that Taylor Hall witnessed no end of idiocy all around him in the org here. An org that was even silly enough to hire vet players that would go onto mock the org openly and maybe even when they were here. TH is even blamed for having a discussion with one of them that went a bit sideways when that was predictably what would occur.

For instance in one formative season the Oilers have Ryan Whitney, Ben Eager, Khabibulin in the lineup while allegedly being concerned about bad attitudes on the club. lmfao. That was the kind of vet leadership they brought in. Guys that were caustic beyond belief. Hall was a choir boy.

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad