GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I find it odd that no matter how many GM's and coaches this organization goes through, they all make the same boneheaded moves. Poor asset management, losing trades, etc. Why does it seem like they just hire puppets while Katz or possibly the old boys club is still giving the orders?

Chia is a moron no doubt, but the managerial style and asset awareness is exactly the same its been under MacT and Lowe. The only thing that has improved is drafting, but what's the point if they are going to keep losing trades and signing poor deals.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's literally an Oilers shill acting as a member of the media.

I agree.

I most definitely dont want to derail this thread but the vast majority of the media in general (much less so in sports) has a financial incentive to pursue a specific agenda.
True journalism is very rare these days...its mostly editorializing.

Reactions: Beetle

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Can anyone give a summary of what the **** up said today in his media availability?

"We bought Gryba out because we dont see him on the team next year, frees up a contract spot and lets Gryba explore other opportunities" and "He shrugged off the increased cap space" - likely an order from Katz I am guessing

"We are willing to move the 10th ... for a good defenseman ... right or left handed .... "

"I am comfortable with the defense ... they should be better next year .... so we might not do anything ... "

"We expect Lucic back next year ... and for him to be better ... "

"I am not discussing on-going negotiations"

Honestly he didnt really say anything. "We are open for business but we might not do anything". Mostly posturing. I think people are complaining for no reason. But like I said in my other post, he doesnt inspire confidence, I dont think he has a real game plan, and he seems out of touch with his team.

Reactions: OilDrop37

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I find it odd that no matter how many GM's and coaches this organization goes through, they all make the same boneheaded moves. Poor asset management, losing trades, etc. Why does it seem like they just hire puppets while Katz or possibly the old boys club is still giving the orders?

Chia is a moron no doubt, but the managerial style and asset awareness is exactly the same its been under MacT and Lowe. The only thing that has improved is drafting, but what's the point if they are going to keep losing trades and signing poor deals.

I strongly suspect that Katz does what he doea because it benefits him in some way. He has run a dysfunctional organization since day 1.
So IMO the biggest problem with this team is ownership but thats not going to change so no point in getting worked up about it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
"We bought Gryba out because we dont see him on the team next year, frees up a contract spot and lets Gryba explore other opportunities" and "He shrugged off the increased cap space" - likely an order from Katz I am guessing

"We are willing to move the 10th ... for a good defenseman ... right or left handed .... "

"I am comfortable with the defense ... they should be better next year .... so we might not do anything ... "

"We expect Lucic back next year ... and for him to be better ... "

"I am not discussing on-going negotiations"

Honestly he didnt really say anything. "We are open for business but we might not do anything". Mostly posturing. I think people are complaining for no reason. But like I said in my other post, he doesnt inspire confidence, I dont think he has a real game plan, and he seems out of touch with his team.
exactly

he's not gonna promise anything...unlike MacT and his promise of bold moves

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I strongly suspect that Katz does what he doea because it benefits him in some way. He has run a dysfunctional organization since day 1.
So IMO the biggest problem with this team is ownership but thats not going to change so no point in getting worked up about it.

Well when you see the Gryba buy out today it really makes you wonder. I cant see Chiarelli ever coming to that decision, because honestly it makes no sense considering where the Oilers are cap wise. Pretty obvious that Katz have his fingers all over that one. Guy has a 120 million dollar house in LA, so lets save 600k. I mean its his money, but it just seems like such a petty decision for a team trying to win.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well when you see the Gryba buy out today it really makes you wonder. I cant see Chiarelli ever coming to that decision, because honestly it makes no sense considering where the Oilers are cap wise. Pretty obvious that Katz have his fingers all over that one. Guy has a 120 million dollar house in LA, so lets save 600k. I mean its his money, but it just seems like such a petty decision for a team trying to win.

Very good point about Gryba.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Or maybe the number of contracts they have is a concern to them when they look at the roster? Or they want to free a spot in Bakersfield to develop a defensive prospect, which appears to a priority going forward?

Why jump to a far-fetched explanation?

Reactions: Cypress

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Or maybe the number of contracts they have is a concern to them when they look at the roster? Or they want to free a spot in Bakersfield to develop a defensive prospect, which appears to a priority going forward?

I already asked the question about contracts...I was told they have 38 contracts.

The Bakersfield suggestion is possible though.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
:deadhorseWe get it Katz is the devil stop blaming him.He have to dealt with owning the Edmonton Oilers a team in EDMONTON .It is hard to get the best management group since most do not want to come here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
:deadhorseWe get it Katz is the devil stop blaming him.He have to dealt with owning the Edmonton Oilers a team in EDMONTON .It is hard to get the best management group since most do not want to come here.

@ulyssesjoyce Please dont quote my posts anymore. I am done dealing with your nonsense.

Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was really happy with the organizational changes that were made. Problem was we swapped one doofus for another.

It's hard to be happy with an organization that seems satisfied with losing both on and off the ice.
The problem is they aren’t losing off the ice. If they were there might be some real pressure to figure things out.

Reactions: guymez

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well like someone else said they have 38 contracts. Nurse and Strome left. Thats 40. They dont have much cap space left. I guess they could sign 7 players for minimum wage.

The only logical options are 1) Katz didnt want to pay real money 2) They really needed another contract.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
This is the first media availability in a while and the first since Hall was named Hart winner. Do you not think the question is appropriate to ask Chiarelli?

I suppose the question to Chia was appropriate, sure.

Is it appropriate to whine about a trade until you're on your death bed? How many years does the average adult take to get over loss?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Probably a mistake on my part talking about Hall. But I think the trade probably helped Hall grow up a bit (which it seems he has a bit). Without a trade who knows if he reaches his potential (I realize he was a good player before the trade).

At the end of the day the trade is done. I hope people dont slag Larsson because of Hall winning the Hart Trophy. Larsson had no control coming here.
After eight or so years of watching this organization try doing the same things that aren’t working over and over again I think the problem is paying big money and putting huge pressure on young kids who aren’t even remotely close to being ready for that kind of pressure. They crumble under the weight of those expectations here and don’t recover until they go somewhere else without that pressure. It’s a vicious cycle we’re in and I don’t know how we get out of it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

One constant.... Katz, Daryl. As long as he owns the team, ineptitude rules and accountability will remain non-existent.

Also, has their drafting gotten better under the new regime? Quite honestly, I see no evidence of that although early times.

Reactions: Aerrol and guymez

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Well like someone else said they have 38 contracts. Nurse and Strome left. Thats 40. They dont have much cap space left. I guess they could sign 7 players for minimum wage.

The only logical options are 1) Katz didnt want to pay real money 2) They really needed another contract.
Or they aren't going hold up Grybas career (just a glimmer of one I know) so they are allowing him to pursue an NHL job. From a business stand point it hurts the Oilers so most don't really understand it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
One constant.... Katz, Daryl. As long as he owns the team, ineptitude rules and accountability will remain non-existent.

Also, has their drafting gotten better under the new regime? Quite honestly, I see no evidence of that although early times.
I rather have Katz as the owner over the team relocating

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
After eight or so years of watching this organization try doing the same things that aren’t working over and over again I think the problem is paying big money and putting huge pressure on young kids who aren’t even remotely close to being ready for that kind of pressure. They crumble under the weight of those expectations here and don’t recover until they go somewhere else without that pressure. It’s a vicious cycle we’re in and I don’t know how we get out of it.

I agree. I think the other problem is that they never surrounded Hall, RNH, Eberle etc with veteran players that could make an impact on the game. The young players needed to be insulated, rather than having all the pressure on them. Maybe it partially wasnt the organizations fault, maybe players didnt want to come here.

I think with McDavid now, I think there will be players who will want to come here because hes a special player. So I think theres more hope in that regard. Problem now though is that the team has overspent on middle tier players who dont make enough impact on the game so it really hurts their overall depth because they are capped out.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Kats and Bettman. Two constants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad