Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I wasn’t being dismissive or a smartass. My coaches always told be not to get too high or too low and I took it to heart, and that’s how I approach the games.

If I am bursting people’s bubbles because I’m pointing out that teams will adjust, or that Cehlarik will not be scoring two goals a game for the rest of the season, or that Donato had 3 points in his debut...sorry.

Also, as a Bruin’s fan, I have a hard time getting excited about individual performances when the team loses (that goes for every player). I’m sure if they asked Cehlarik after the game, he said the same, or at least I hope he did.

Well what’s the point of contributing an opinion in an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER’S thread if you say you have a difficult time being excited about a good performance after a losing effort? Are you really giving an accurate assessment?

Thought Cehlarik was maybe the lone bright spot of the night, and I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of role he can fit into on this team.

Reactions: Blowfish

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
And some fans are upset Cave is lost to waivers so Cehlarik can play.
it really just speaks to the less than ideal decisions by management though. Cave getting claimed is probably no big loss, but he is still only 23, this isn't a Trent Whitfield. He looked decent for us and had some value however little.

But with Cehlarik being waiver exempt AND playing an actual position of need you'd have thought he'd have gotten the callup much sooner (before Cave) knowing that he can be sent down if it's not working. Like why wouldn't it be a last resort to call up the guys you might lose to waivers?

It's not a huge deal but it's just another case of less than ideal asset management.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well what’s the point of contributing an opinion in an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER’S thread if you say you have a difficult time being excited about a good performance after a losing effort? Are you really giving an accurate assessment?

Thought Cehlarik was maybe the lone bright spot of the night, and I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of role he can fit into on this team.

I already gave my assessment of this player’s INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE early on and said I thought it was good overall.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don’t think the B’s have the personnel on that line to make a lot of counter adjustments. Krejci has never been comfortable as the shooter. Don’t think that’s going to change at this point in his career.

And I keep reading here that Cassidy is an idiot for not playing Cehlarik sooner. So, which one is it, dunce or smart enough to make adjustments? Can’t have it both ways :laugh:
That makes no sense. Making an adjustment out of desperation nearly 50 games into the season after trying nearly every 4th liner and option possible on the second line, while all along not playing a guy who was very good in the preseason, is not a smart adjustment. It's a slow adjustment from someone who is out of options and made a mistake by not calling him up sooner. Sure, it's an adjustment. I wouldn't say that there was much intelligence involved when you are close to 50 games into the season before having enough sense to make it. Eventually he will adjust the PP too (I hope). I won't call him smart for adjusting when he could have adjusted it games ago and made it more effective.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That makes no sense. Making an adjustment out of desperation nearly 50 games into the season after trying nearly every 4th liner and option possible on the second line, while all along not playing a guy who was very good in the preseason, is not a smart adjustment. It's a slow adjustment from someone who is out of options and made a mistake by not calling him up sooner. Sure, it's an adjustment. I wouldn't say that there was much intelligence involved when you are close to 50 games into the season before having enough sense to make it. Eventually he will adjust the PP too (I hope). I won't call him smart for adjusting when he could have adjusted it games ago and made it more effective.

We are talking about two different things. TCB and I were discussing other teams adjusting to the 2nd line’s style with Cehlarik on it.

Had literally nothing to do with what you are talking about.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If Cehlarik doesn’t have the speed to exploit it, this just isn’t true.

It would appear that he will normally be the F3. This is fine with a center like Krejci who likes to change the pace and open up seams. Cehlarik appears to be smart enough to get to these open areas.

However, if the opposing teams start sagging off Krejci and staying in their lanes, like you do with a scrambling QB, that could be a problem. If that happens, DK would need to start shooting a lot more, and that’s just not his game.
I'm not concerned about that.

First off, I don't think Cehlarik's always going to be the F3, he had a lot of moments today where he was out ahead of the breakout, that's just what the B's do with their wings. He also had a net drive where he missed the tip on goal but he was the guy driving and DeBrusk was F3.

I also agree with the poster who said Krejci will pick teams apart with his passing if they give him time and space. He'll hit guys coming late or walk into areas where they have to defend him, and then he'll dish.

Lastly, I think a big reason we don't see Krejci shoot much anymore is because, playing with DeBrusk and Nordstrom/Backes/JAG, nobody really gives him the puck in those high pct shooting areas. But when he played with Marchand and Pasta for 10 games he suddenly found himself getting the puck in good spots and ended up scoring 5 goals in those 10 games.

I think we got a glimpse of that tonight with Cehlarik and DeBrusk both going to the net in the 2nd period, and Krejci just carried into the slot and got off a really good shot inside the hash marks that Hart gloved. When was the last time Krejci had a shot in the slot? I've said it before (in the trade thread) but I think playing with at least one good passer is what Krejci needs to do his thing.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Your reference was to Cave, who was not a wing. He was a center that was called up when the B’s had centers injured.
The point I was trying to make was that Cehlarik hasn't really been given a real chance. People have acted like he had his shot and didn't produce so move on, but in reality he's played less in 3 years than Colby Cave who just had a cup of coffee with Boston. 17 games was not a real shot. Most players need 20 games just to get acclimated to the league.

I could understand if Boston's top9 was locked and loaded but we've seen multiple 4th liners playing in the top6 this year, we carried two fourth lines for what seemed like a month. There was an opportunity to try this guy earlier. As you said, they should have done it out of camp.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I'm not concerned about that.

First off, I don't think Cehlarik's always going to be the F3, he had a lot of moments today where he was out ahead of the breakout, that's just what the B's do with their wings. He also had a net drive where he missed the tip on goal but he was the guy driving and DeBrusk was F3.

I also agree with the poster who said Krejci will pick teams apart with his passing if they give him time and space. He'll hit guys coming late or walk into areas where they have to defend him, and then he'll dish.

Lastly, I think a big reason we don't see Krejci shoot much anymore is because, playing with DeBrusk and Nordstrom/Backes/JAG, nobody really gives him the puck in those high pct shooting areas. But when he played with Marchand and Pasta for 10 games he suddenly found himself getting the puck in good spots and ended up scoring 5 goals in those 10 games.

I think we got a glimpse of that tonight with Cehlarik and DeBrusk both going to the net in the 2nd period, and Krejci just carried into the slot and got off a really good shot inside the hash marks that Hart gloved. When was the last time Krejci had a shot in the slot? I've said it before (in the trade thread) but I think playing with at least one good passer is what Krejci needs to do his thing.

I think Cehlarik can compliment those two well. He's a really good passer but also likes to shoot and battle in front of the net. I feel like Krejci would shoot more with a guy like Cehlarik who can also thread the needle with his passes. Those two along with DeBrusk could be fun to watch.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The point I was trying to make was that Cehlarik hasn't really been given a real chance. People have acted like he had his shot and didn't produce so move on, but in reality he's played less in 3 years than Colby Cave who just had a cup of coffee with Boston. 17 games was not a real shot. Most players need 20 games just to get acclimated to the league.

I could understand if Boston's top9 was locked and loaded but we've seen multiple 4th liners playing in the top6 this year, we carried two fourth lines for what seemed like a month. There was an opportunity to try this guy earlier. As you said, they should have done it out of camp.

I said back in October that I thought Cehlarik should have been in over Bjork and Donato, so no argument on that front, but that has zero to do with Cave. He plays a different role and a different position, and people also seem to be forgetting that at the time of his call up, Cave was easily the best player in PRO according to all that watched.

Through Dec 5th (20 games) Cehlarik had 3g/9a and was not lighting it up at all according to Eric’s reports (which I read religiously). Late November someone asked who his call ups would be and the answer was Donato or Fitz in the Top 6, Blidh in the Bottom.

Early in December (after Donato’s recall) I saw reports that Cehlarik was playing better. In the last 17 games (12/7 and later), he has 7g/10a, but 5g/2a came in his last 4 games in PRO (which meant 2g/8a in the 13 games prior, which is good not great).

So this idea that he was crushing it and should have been called up sooner except for FO bias, appears to be false?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
One good game does not make Cehlarik an NHL'er, but there was a lot to like about his overall game tonight...

His passing was very good. Breakout passes where he used his size/strength to absorb pinches as he moved to the middle and sent away DeBrusk/Krejci. He had a filthy backhand feed to Carlo who fanned on the one-timer in the low slot.

I thought he had good puck pursuit. On his second shift, he hunted down Sanheim in the Nzone and stole the puck from him along the boards, then sent Krejci and DeBrusk the other way with a quick pass. He had several plays in the Neutral zone where he created or forced a turnover and a rush for Boston.

He backchecked hard and while he's not a burner, he had enough speed to catch up to Nolan Patrick and pick his pocket from behind.

He got in on the forecheck and got on Philly D in the corners, like that play where he leaned on Provorov and forced him to throw a backhand up the middle to Chara.

I also felt he was an outstanding as the net front guy on the power play. Setting screens (real screens, not jumping out of the way when the shooter goes into his motion so the goalie can see), popping off the crease for shots, hunting down pucks in the corners and getting them to open guys while they re-set. He had the nice tip on the 3rd goal.

All in all, was that not the best the Krejci line has looked all year.

Finished the game with 2 goals, 2 takeaways, 1 blocked shot, 5 shot attempts and a +2. He was awarded the third star behind Hart's 40 saves and Couturier's hat trick.

Hopefully, he's able to keep it going and provide the team some depth.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
One good game does not make Cehlarik an NHL'er, but there was a lot to like about his overall game tonight...

His passing was very good. Breakout passes where he used his size/strength to absorb pinches as he moved to the middle and sent away DeBrusk/Krejci. He had a filthy backhand feed to Carlo who fanned on the one-timer in the low slot.

I thought he had good puck pursuit. On his second shift, he hunted down Sanheim in the Nzone and stole the puck from him along the boards, then sent Krejci and DeBrusk the other way with a quick pass. He had several plays in the Neutral zone where he created or forced a turnover and a rush for Boston.

He backchecked hard and while he's not a burner, he had enough speed to catch up to Nolan Patrick and pick his pocket from behind.

He got in on the forecheck and got on Philly D in the corners, like that play where he leaned on Provorov and forced him to throw a backhand up the middle to Chara.

I also felt he was an outstanding as the net front guy on the power play. Setting screens (real screens, not jumping out of the way when the shooter goes into his motion so the goalie can see), popping off the crease for shots, hunting down pucks in the corners and getting them to open guys while they re-set. He had the nice tip on the 3rd goal.

All in all, was that not the best the Krejci line has looked all year.

Finished the game with 2 goals, 2 takeaways, 1 blocked shot, 5 shot attempts and a +2. He was awarded the third star behind Hart's 40 saves and Couturier's hat trick.

Hopefully, he's able to keep it going and provide the team some depth.

Thought he played a good game.

As I pointed out in the GDT, the only reason he caught Patrick on that backcheck was because the D stepped up and slowed Patrick down. Kudos for the effort, but if the D sags back like 73 and 33 did on the first goal, Patrick probably gets a scoring chance instead of Cehlarik catching him.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
great to see cehlarik have a great night. still can't believe it took this long for him to get a shot. agree tonight is the best the krejci line has looked all season. and cehlarik and krejci looked great together last year too. honestly I would prefer to keep cehlarik over heinen if we had to trade one

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Your reference was to Cave, who was not a wing. He was a center that was called up when the B’s had centers injured.

Nordstrom has seen significant time on Krejci's wing this year. They tried Backes again recently and got nothing out of it. Heinen & Donato show flashes but haven't stuck. At one point they had JFK playing RW with Krejci.

also the Bruins have literally 3 guys on the 4th line right now who can play center and have needed a wing all year. Cave was one of like 8 centers in the lineup. It's not like Cave was their only option at the time.

The Bruins have had no shortage of centers at any point this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad