Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Krejci has never been comfortable as the shooter. Don’t think that’s going to change at this point in his career.
I hear this a lot about Krejci. I understand he goes through geologically long stretches where he doesn't shoot the puck, but he's a center that regularly pushes 20 goals per season with a relatively high shooting percentage.

Shooting might not be a bell ringer for him, but it certainly has never been a particular weakness.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Thought he played a good game.

As I pointed out in the GDT, the only reason he caught Patrick on that backcheck was because the D stepped up and slowed Patrick down. Kudos for the effort, but if the D sags back like 73 and 33 did on the first goal, Patrick probably gets a scoring chance instead of Cehlarik catching him.

The way how you try to diminish his play after a good game tells me you have a fear.
I would like to get from you a simple yes or no on a straightforward question.
Are you afraid if he succeeds he would expose Heinen or Donato or push them down the roster?

We don't know if he is gonna stick in NHL. He could easily be the next Jimmy Hayes. However some us have seen him play both at Providence and Boston 2 seasons ago, last season and also this season. Hence we base our opinion on what we actually have seen of him. What do you base your opinion on?

Reactions: Blowfish and Ratty

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
great to see cehlarik have a great night. still can't believe it took this long for him to get a shot. agree tonight is the best the krejci line has looked all season. and cehlarik and krejci looked great together last year too. honestly I would prefer to keep cehlarik over heinen if we had to trade one

GD wont like this

Reactions: Blowfish

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It's one game, but it really makes you wonder how they could possibly give Nordstrom, Smith, Backes, JFK and even Kuraly time with Krejci before giving him a shot.

I would like to see them try out Cehlarik-Krejci-Pasta again even though they looked good with DeBrusk.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I hear this a lot about Krejci. I understand he goes through geologically long stretches where he doesn't shoot the puck, but he's a center that regularly pushes 20 goals per season with a relatively high shooting percentage.

Shooting might not be a bell ringer for him, but it certainly has never been a particular weakness.

With wingers that can pass, he'd probably shoot more. Cehlarik's passing reminds me of Krejci's a bit. He'd be an ideal winger along with DeBrusk, who can also pass and does a good job of generating rebounds.

Krejci's shot is underrated. I still think of that OT winner vs Philly in the 2011 playoffs. Has quite a few hat tricks for a pass-first guy too. I wouldn't mind seeing him shoot more.

Reactions: Blowfish

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I've been a Cehlarik guy since watching him in the WJCs (he's faster now) --love his size/skill combo but, honestly, I thought he was done in Boston before this last call up. Fortunes can change on a dime.

I've thought he deserved more of a break (had a goal called back on fraction offside, maybe, last year) --looked really good when he was up in Boston...... then injured and sent down.

Outplayed Donato in preseason by a healthy margin this season.... aaaaaaand sent down.

He's got the skill to do it, I would love to see him put a string of games together here.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
great to see cehlarik have a great night. still can't believe it took this long for him to get a shot. agree tonight is the best the krejci line has looked all season. and cehlarik and krejci looked great together last year too. honestly I would prefer to keep cehlarik over heinen if we had to trade one
If anything it supports the strategy of giving kids the time they need to develop before calling them up. He had what, 5 goals all season in providence until a week or so ago. When he started pulling it all together he got the chance and did well with it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The way how you try to diminish his play after a good game tells me you have a fear.
Are you afraid if he succeeds he would expose Heinen or Donato or push them down the roster?

We don't know if he is gonna stick in NHL. He could easily be the next Jimmy Hayes. However some us have seen him play both at Providence and Boston 2 seasons ago, last season and also this season. Hence we base our opinion on what we actually have seen of him. What do you base your opinion on?

That would be no. I’m not a huge fan of Donato’s game this year. Heinen I am, but I couldn’t care less if he played 3rd/4th line the rest of his career as long as he helped the team.

Please explain how me saying Cehlarik should make the team out of Camp back in October over Donato and Bjork and last night saying he had a good game, but I was concerned about his lack of speed and hope he adjusted, is me “diminishing” his play and being afraid? As if I have any control whatsoever about who plays and who doesn’t :laugh:

I have consistently said that Donato should have spent a year in the AHL (and that it would have been good for Bjork as well). Cehlarik was a “dog” in PRO for the first 10-15 games according to people who watched him play. He was scratched for a game and was not moving his feet and getting to spots he needed to.

The only guy I recall saying in October and early November that he thought Cehlarik was playing well was BruinsNetwork. Then last night I’m hearing all of these Savants say that Cehlarik should have been up all season. Twelve points in his first twenty games didn’t scream call up to me. Cave had 6g/12a in 15 games and now people are trying to say he shouldn’t have been called up over Cehlarik (even though he also played a different position).

I don’t live near Providence/Boston and my son plays (and can’t drive), so I’m busy weekends and my exposure to the PB’s this year has been minimal. I rely on video, writers like Divver and the opinions of posters I trust that go to the games. At the end of November, someone asked Eric who he thought should be called up and he said Donato and Fitz for a Top 6 role, Blidh for a Bottom 6. No Cehlarik.

In December, he started producing more and playing better according to the people I listen to. However, this idea that he was on fire and forced a call up with his play, but was just being screwed by the organization is revisionist history.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Game 1. Well done.

Hope he can keep it going. But this team still needs help.

Proof was the game tonight.

Bad Bad D tonight ... Still say the team needs a 2nd line winger bumping Cehlarik down to third line. One of Heinen, JFK, or Donato will be shipped out. I prefer it to be JFK.
Nords takes his place

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
It is weird how buried he is with management for some reason.

I have from the start maintained management knew what that had in Cehlarik however were hoping one of Donato Heinen or JFK would perform for early trade...It didn't happen. Can't wait all year for one of those guys to perform?

It's all to obvious...they had no chance but to call up Cehlarik.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have from the start maintained management knew what that had in Cehlarik however were hoping one of Donato Heinen or JFK would perform for early trade...It didn't happen. Can't wait all year for one of those guys to perform?

This is an interesting take.

So, you are now saying that the B’s knew what a stud Cehlarik was, but they left him off the NHL team for three months just so they could bump up the trade value of Heinen, Donato, or Bjork?

You heard it here first, folks.

How could I have not seen this? It’s plain as day.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
don't be a smartass & don't be dismissive. It's not unreasonable to think it was dumb of Bruins management to take more than half the season to give this kid another look. They've been trying all kinds of obviously unlikely-to-work options at that spot all season. Some of us have been asking for him to get into the lineup literally since camp (you too apparently). It finally happens and it works! We're excited! We're Bruins fans! I guess I'm being unreasonable!

:thumbu:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
One good game does not make Cehlarik an NHL'er, but there was a lot to like about his overall game tonight...

His passing was very good. Breakout passes where he used his size/strength to absorb pinches as he moved to the middle and sent away DeBrusk/Krejci. He had a filthy backhand feed to Carlo who fanned on the one-timer in the low slot.

I thought he had good puck pursuit. On his second shift, he hunted down Sanheim in the Nzone and stole the puck from him along the boards, then sent Krejci and DeBrusk the other way with a quick pass. He had several plays in the Neutral zone where he created or forced a turnover and a rush for Boston.

He backchecked hard and while he's not a burner, he had enough speed to catch up to Nolan Patrick and pick his pocket from behind.

He got in on the forecheck and got on Philly D in the corners, like that play where he leaned on Provorov and forced him to throw a backhand up the middle to Chara.

I also felt he was an outstanding as the net front guy on the power play. Setting screens (real screens, not jumping out of the way when the shooter goes into his motion so the goalie can see), popping off the crease for shots, hunting down pucks in the corners and getting them to open guys while they re-set. He had the nice tip on the 3rd goal.

All in all, was that not the best the Krejci line has looked all year.

Finished the game with 2 goals, 2 takeaways, 1 blocked shot, 5 shot attempts and a +2. He was awarded the third star behind Hart's 40 saves and Couturier's hat trick.

Hopefully, he's able to keep it going and provide the team some depth.

The tip was something else.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I think this is pretty obvious considering he might be the only one diminishing his play in this thread. GD makes Cehlarik appear to be the slowest player on the bruins so with that he should be traded over Heinen.

Heinen has 3 more goals than Cehlarik. Heinen has payed 45 more games. lol

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
This is an interesting take.

So, you are now saying that the B’s knew what a stud Cehlarik was, but they left him off the NHL team for three months just so they could bump up the trade value of Heinen, Donato, or Bjork?

You heard it here first, folks.

How could I have not seen this? It’s plain as day.
ok we will see I,didnt like milbury lastnite saying a big trade might involve Debrusk no F*****G ....WAY

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
With wingers that can pass, he'd probably shoot more. Cehlarik's passing reminds me of Krejci's a bit. He'd be an ideal winger along with DeBrusk, who can also pass and does a good job of generating rebounds.

Krejci's shot is underrated. I still think of that OT winner vs Philly in the 2011 playoffs. Has quite a few hat tricks for a pass-first guy too. I wouldn't mind seeing him shoot more.

Krejci has a bomb of a shot. Especially that half slapper. Seems like the type of guy that could drive a golf ball 350 yards. He would score 30 goals per year if he shot more.

Reactions: Grimey

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

I think you're giving management way too much credit. They're not that smart!

Reactions: KrejciMVP

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think this is pretty obvious considering he might be the only one diminishing his play in this thread. GD makes Cehlarik appear to be the slowest player on the bruins so with that he should be traded over Heinen.

Heinen has 3 more goals than Cehlarik. Heinen has payed 45 more games. lol

Geez, I wonder which one of us is more credible. The one that wanted Cehlarik over Donato out of camp, but expresses concern over Cehlarik’s lack of speed at the NHL level...

Or the one that just posted that the organization kept three players on the NHL roster for three months JUST TO BUMP UP THEIR TRADE VALUE while they kept a stud player down on the farm.

Tough choice :laugh:

Reactions: Pia8988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->