Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He did nothing at camp? He had a fantastic camp and was one of if not the best prospects at camp. Most likely why you see so many gung ho for him to play. Odd you say this...
Cehlarik had a great camp and deserves to be on the roster but like last year the team was already picked,Hopefully he forces his way back up like Heinen and Gryz did last year

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Cehlarik had a great camp and deserves to be on the roster but like last year the team was already picked,Hopefully he forces his way back up like Heinen and Gryz did last year

Not debating that. Some very good talent clamouring for spots. It's all going to come down to injuries and performance .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We all want the prospects to work out but I guess I haven't seen enough to be so gung ho like other posters

He did well his last call up but he did nothing in camp to show me that he's better than someone on the active roster.

I wan't him to succeed but aside from a few flashes, he's not someone I would call up first.

Well he was essentially the last winger cut (him and Frederic were assigned together on the same day).

So that tells me in the coaches and managements eyes he was pretty darn close to making this team.

If they need a winger then I wouldn't be shocked if the gets the 1st call, providing he's continuing to play well in Providence.

He's a better hockey player than some of the wingers they have now, but they don't want his type of player on the 4th line, and they chose to go with the two guys who have shown more at the NHL level thus far (Donato and Bjork).

They are going to carry at minimum 13 F, so if Donato goes down at some point, he'd be the logical recall.

But if they lost say an Acciari or Wagner to injury, they'll probably go with an older guy like Szwarz.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Read Cassidy's comments after the first China game and subsequent games he played in after,Its never good enough for Cassidy,that stuff is on the record ,seems to me Coach is going to try everyone else first with Krejci before he's forced to go back with Cehlarik. Sweeney was more positive when talking about him so we'll see and maybe you guys are right and I'm wrong and that's fine with me

I hope so- I wasn't having a go at you at all, was just curious about where you got the idea. Makes sense, but I am hoping that Cehlarik will do a Heinen and get some of what he's been missing

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
The Cehlarik decision was interesting. Cassidy very specifically said Cehlarik does not play at an NHL pace. Is that something that you can fix with quicker decision making and a higher effort level? Cassidy mentioned he made some good plays with the puck on his stick, but that does not seem to be enough for what Cassidy wants out of his wings.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I wasn’t one that was on his train before camp but I liked his preseason way better than Donato’s.

Reactions: Pomee

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
It's unfortunate that he was cut on the last day, considering the good camp he had. He'll have wait for an injury to get back to Boston. Bruce seems committed to Donato, despite his slow start, and I can't blame him.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Ppl can say whatever they want but he was productive in the pre season and was a better player than Donato. I'm not saying that he will end up being the better player but if Donato ain't ready send him down and reward the guy that out played him with some ice time. Worst case he ain't ready and does no worse than Donato now and best case he performs well and you keep him up or build his trade value

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Ppl can say whatever they want but he was productive in the pre season and was a better player than Donato. I'm not saying that he will end up being the better player but if Donato ain't ready send him down and reward the guy that out played him with some ice time. Worst case he ain't ready and does no worse than Donato now and best case he performs well and you keep him up or build his trade value

What's odd to me are folk that either missed the pre-season or his NHL call ups. He was always a factor and producing. He took his game to another level this pre-season. I call it the Donato factor. A dude promised NHL time as a commitment with the organization.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

difference was/is when Donato came out of College late last year, he showed he can do offensively and gave/gives the B`s a reason to keep him up with the big club, 10/11 pts in 15 games, PC has what? 4/5 in 17

Both are incomplete players, Donato, I would argue, would have every coach in the NHL in his corner if it came down to making the choice between putting he or PC on the roster

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Is there any truth to this notion that Donato was promised an NHL spot? Legitimately asking.
Did they come out and say they promised him a spot? probably not, I would think they'd be more clever with words like "Its his to lose" or "we've penciled him in that spot"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Did they come out and say they promised him a spot? probably not, I would think they'd be more clever with words like "Its his to lose" or "we've penciled him in that spot"
agreed

or "we will give you every opportunity to stay in the lineup"

Can`t see DS promising anything to a kid

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Is there any truth to this notion that Donato was promised an NHL spot? Legitimately asking.

Bjork and Donato were college STARS who did the organization a favor signing with us. You can't exactly turn around and trade them a week later.

Donato was getting the same chance Bjork got last year to start in Boston regardless of his preseason camp. Donato also can't be traded anytime soon since it was only a few months ago he chose us again you simply can't sign a college prospect who could have gone the UFA route with another team and trade him weeks/months later I don't care if there is no rule against it you just can't do it.

He might be the 17th forward but hes also the guy who would replace Pasternak or Marchand on the Bergeron line if one got hurt.

But yeah the NCAA guys have advantages over a Euro/CHL prospect that is waiver exempt. JFK may be on his second contract before he plays another game for us its up this summer since he demanded we burn a year to get him to sign.

They probably want to see if Cehlarik can stay healthy to be the next guy up once someone goes down. Heinen was in the same spot last year and had a great season with the big club we haven't kicked Cehlarik to the curb yet and I am not sure the kids who are playing on the big club right now will cement their spot and block him.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I must have been sleeping when Cehlarik became a top notch prospect who has earned a chance to put the big boy jersey over his head full time, just not understanding the love this guy gets here

Sleep walking or the aroma from the Halifax harbour poo water??? lol . Did you watch much if any of the preseason this year? He was the better of all prospects.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bjork and Donato were college STARS who did the organization a favor signing with us. You can't exactly turn around and trade them a week later.

Donato was getting the same chance Bjork got last year to start in Boston regardless of his preseason camp. Donato also can't be traded anytime soon since it was only a few months ago he chose us again you simply can't sign a college prospect who could have gone the UFA route with another team and trade him weeks/months later I don't care if there is no rule against it you just can't do it.

He might be the 17th forward but hes also the guy who would replace Pasternak or Marchand on the Bergeron line if one got hurt.

But yeah the NCAA guys have advantages over a Euro/CHL prospect that is waiver exempt. JFK may be on his second contract before he plays another game for us its up this summer since he demanded we burn a year to get him to sign.

They probably want to see if Cehlarik can stay healthy to be the next guy up once someone goes down. Heinen was in the same spot last year and had a great season with the big club we haven't kicked Cehlarik to the curb yet and I am not sure the kids who are playing on the big club right now will cement their spot and block him.

Well said.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
difference was/is when Donato came out of College late last year, he showed he can do offensively and gave/gives the B`s a reason to keep him up with the big club, 10/11 pts in 15 games, PC has what? 4/5 in 17

Both are incomplete players, Donato, I would argue, would have every coach in the NHL in his corner if it came down to making the choice between putting he or PC on the roster

I am not the biggest Cehlarik fan, but he outplayed Donato by a wide margin in the preseason. There is obviously more to it than just that, and it may well be that part of the decision making process is that down the road, Donato has higher upside and will be better than Cehlarik.

If that's the case though, why is Nordstrom the 2nd line RW? There are a number of young players that, if not better now, likely will be, as soon as the end of this year. Yet, he's playing in the Top 6 because right now, he's been better.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Sleep walking or the aroma from the Halifax harbour poo water??? lol . Did you watch much if any of the preseason this year? He was the better of all prospects.

If it was that obvious, he would have got the job.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If it was that obvious, he would have got the job.

And hence why so many questioned why he was sent down and are questioning the line up today with the 1st line the only line producing.

Mind you I do very much like the 4th line and the 2nd line for the first time looked dangerous. But so far only 1 goal registered for 2 3 and 4th lines. Yikes!

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I must have been sleeping when Cehlarik became a top notch prospect who has earned a chance to put the big boy jersey over his head full time, just not understanding the love this guy gets here

People liked what they saw from him in his call ups and preseason. What's wrong with that? Cehlarik was miles ahead of Donato in preseason and some people feel he should've been given a shot. I think that's fair since some seem to think Donato deserves to be handed a spot for having 10 points in 15 games.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
I'm with you 110%.

I really don't get it.

I think I’ve agreed with nearly every post of yours I’ve read...but I guess we disagree. I don’t think PC is the second coming or anything, but:
1. He had an excellent camp. I’m not sure how much more he could have shown.
2. To my eyes he looked noticeably better than Donato and Bjork. He was strong on the boards, winning battles with his size.

He did have a couple noticeable turnovers though.
I was really surprised by Cassidy’s negative comment part way through camp/preseason.
It seems to me like he deserves a 10 game stint in “the show” to demonstrate what he can do.

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad