Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I still maintain the best Krejci looked in the past 3 years was with Cehlarik on his wing, they had an unbelievably unlucky streak though (hit like 10 posts and got robbed on glorious opportunities so the points didn't come).
He has looked very promising in his call-ups with the Bs. He looked pretty good in the preseason as well. I don't give two steaming piles of shit what he does in the AHL. He did not look out of place in the NHL. Some guys tear it up in the AHL and suck balls in the NHL. Some guys don't tear it up in the AHL and look good in the NHL. Seems to me the Bs are looking hard for reasons at this point to justify not bringing him up to the Bs. Bottom line is Cehlarik has shown he can play effective hockey at the NHL level. Absolutely no harm in giving him a shot. The bottom 9 of this team is not remotely close to acceptable at this point. There are some good pieces there, but the fact is they are not producing. The Bs are not going to make a deep playoff run with a joke third line and a fourth line that offers little to no offensive contribution. I'm thrilled the Bs have a bunch of energy guys that try hard, and a grizzled vet with a lot of character. Goals win games, though. You have to have a mix of skill and offensive threats thrown in the bottom six if you want to win a Cup. There's lots of season left, so the Bs have plenty of time to try to figure out something that works. I just hope they give some new faces some serious looks. You never know who might step up and seize the opportunity.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
JAY LEACH HAHA WHAT FARK HE KNOW LOL
A lot more than you or anyone on this board.

It sounds like they’re not happy with his inability to play in the dirty areas along the boards.

Unless he is strong along the boards or at least willing to get in there, he won’t sniff Cassidy’s lineup.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Ryan Donato's board work isn't atrocious?

Cehlarik's only 8 months older than the golden child himself, he's not on the verge of washing out of the league. Relax. He's got some work to do like most other young players.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Hahaha rough day for cehlarik fans trying to possibly spin zone a healthy scratch from an AHL team.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The odd thing about all this is many of us felt he was much much stronger on the boards and he drove the net harder pre season. This is complete pile of poo. One thing I can say he has a tendency of doing quick no look passing in some danger areas of the ice. I defend that 2 ways. He’s definitely not alone trying this and his line mates are caught off guard. This kid see things much like a Krejci. 2 plays ahead.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
H Seems to me the Bs are looking hard for reasons at this point to justify not bringing him up to the Bs.

You have to wonder. Who on the current Bruins roster is blocking Cehlarik? Our boy Ryan Donato- and no, this isn't hate for Donato at all; I like him, want him to do well, and believe he will at some point- Bjork, JDB, Heinen, who are Cehalrik's 'peers' have some previous that earns them sustained looks. If I were running the team, I'd swap Celly for Donato for a couple weeks and see what happens. Bruins don't want to do that, though, for whatever reason.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
You have to wonder. Who on the current Bruins roster is blocking Cehlarik? Our boy Ryan Donato- and no, this isn't hate for Donato at all; I like him, want him to do well, and believe he will at some point- Bjork, JDB, Heinen, who are Cehalrik's 'peers' have some previous that earns them sustained looks. If I were running the team, I'd swap Celly for Donato for a couple weeks and see what happens. Bruins don't want to do that, though, for whatever reason.
Yeah, I like some of the things I see in Donato as well. Get tired of some folks thinking that in order to want one player to succeed you have to want another to fail -- see some of the stupid Rask/Halak discussion. If someone is wearing a Bs jersey I want them to succeed, period. Corvo is the only Bruin I wanted to see fail in my long history of being a Bs fan, for...reasons.

Really, all I want is for the Bs organization to put the team in the best position to win. I got very frustrated back when Chiller was being left out of the lineup, not because I hated some other player, but because I felt he would give the team a better chance to win. The Bs felt otherwise at that time. I have no idea if Cehlarik will come up and be better than what's already here. All I know is that he looked damn good with Krejci in his limited time with the Bs, and has looked good in his other limited opportunities as well. I also know that what's going on in the bottom 9 is not even close to working well. If I felt that patience and time were all that are needed, then I'd not worry much about the bottom 9 at this point. That's not the case. There are some fundamental flaws in the bottom 9 that if not addressed will result in no chance at a Cup this season. No sense in having options, yet not using them. And for the record, I don't think Donato necessarily needs to be the player sitting out to make room for Cehlarik.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Soft NCAA players who don't have to earn their spot on the roster are the thing for the Bruins.

There is a reason we have never been burned like Nashville was by Vesey or Arizona by Wheeler. Donato is also untradable at least until next season (when his value might be very low if he doesn't establish himself) for this reason.

Some players don't really need the AHL and are no better down there than they would be in the NHL. Cehlarik might be one of them. Donato I think is the exact opposite. There would be nothing better for him than to go become a PPG player at a higher level of competition than college.

Reactions: bryson21

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Soft NCAA players who don't have to earn their spot on the roster are the thing for the Bruins.

There is a reason we have never been burned like Nashville was by Vesey or Arizona by Wheeler. Donato is also untradable at least until next season (when his value might be very low if he doesn't establish himself) for this reason.

Some players don't really need the AHL and are no better down there than they would be in the NHL. Cehlarik might be one of them. Donato I think is the exact opposite. There would be nothing better for him than to go become a PPG player at a higher level of competition than college.

I don't think that's entirely fair, though. Heinen was sent down and benched, Bjork was sent down and benched. Grizz and Czarnik were too. I don't know that we would call them soft necessarily, but they aren't bangers and crashers like Kuraly and Acciari who are also NCAA guys.

I don't disagree that Donato would probably benefit from time in the AHL and that Cehlarik ought to get another shot with the team that lasts longer than 2-3 games.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't think that's entirely fair, though. Heinen was sent down and benched, Bjork was sent down and benched. Grizz and Czarnik were too. I don't know that we would call them soft necessarily, but they aren't bangers and crashers like Kuraly and Acciari who are also NCAA guys.

I don't disagree that Donato would probably benefit from time in the AHL and that Cehlarik ought to get another shot with the team that lasts longer than 2-3 games.

Heinen's very good run of 40-50 games came on the heels of not making the team out of camp a year after he made the team out of camp.

Bjork only went down there because he came back from a concussion to a red hot team and wasn't going to play. He had 4 points in 9 games and the Bruins couldn't wait to bring him back up so he could get knocked out for the year on a love tap.

I think its truly pathetic that we signed Gionta last year and played him. Just like Bourque/Pandolfo/Dogavins playing for us in 2013 when we had the best team in the league was an absolute disgrace.

Whats playing well in the AHL gonna do for Cehlarik it didn't do much for Czarnik or Kokolachev?

These guys being so similar and also being unplayable in the playoffs is a problem I don't think a healthy Bjork helps us get past Tampa last year I'm pretty sure he spends that series in street clothes. You can't play them with a kid center either you need a vet and we can't go get one with DK and Backes contract situations.

Give the guy who has a little jam to his game a chance in Cehlarik. Senyshyn will never live up to being taken in the first round but I wanted to see him in the playoffs last year over Donato or Gionta. I want him to get a shot at being a Wagner upgrade regardless of AHL play its not like the NCAA prospects have to play well in the AHL to get a shot. Even if all we are going to get is another Paille is he going to suck in a 7-0 blowout in our favor like Donato did when he played in the playoffs?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So seeing you're in Calgary AB, I'm going to assume your knowledge of the Providence Bruins is next to nothing so what are you even commenting on?

While I completely disagree with his comment, I disagree even more with your reply.

I live in Stratford Ontario, and I am willing to bet I know more about the P-Bruins then most people here from New England.

It's fine to disagree with how knowledgeable someone is on the subject of the team, but I think you are making a poor argument using location.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
While I completely disagree with his comment, I disagree even more with your reply.

I live in Stratford Ontario, and I am willing to bet I know more about the P-Bruins then most people here from New England.

It's fine to disagree with how knowledgeable someone is on the subject of the team, but I think you are making a poor argument using location.

I don’t think it’s poor when you look at the location of the poster and read baseless comments like “jay leach sucks as a coach”.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Heinen's very good run of 40-50 games came on the heels of not making the team out of camp a year after he made the team out of camp.

Bjork only went down there because he came back from a concussion to a red hot team and wasn't going to play. He had 4 points in 9 games and the Bruins couldn't wait to bring him back up so he could get knocked out for the year on a love tap.

I think its truly pathetic that we signed Gionta last year and played him. Just like Bourque/Pandolfo/Dogavins playing for us in 2013 when we had the best team in the league was an absolute disgrace.

Whats playing well in the AHL gonna do for Cehlarik it didn't do much for Czarnik or Kokolachev?

These guys being so similar and also being unplayable in the playoffs is a problem I don't think a healthy Bjork helps us get past Tampa last year I'm pretty sure he spends that series in street clothes. You can't play them with a kid center either you need a vet and we can't go get one with DK and Backes contract situations.

Give the guy who has a little jam to his game a chance in Cehlarik. Senyshyn will never live up to being taken in the first round but I wanted to see him in the playoffs last year over Donato or Gionta. I want him to get a shot at being a Wagner upgrade regardless of AHL play its not like the NCAA prospects have to play well in the AHL to get a shot. Even if all we are going to get is another Paille is he going to suck in a 7-0 blowout in our favor like Donato did when he played in the playoffs?

I am not really disagreeing with the bigger point here about Cehlarik or others, but just that Donato seems to be getting special treatment and I don't think it is a really a trend or M.O. for the management. It's just for Donato, it seems.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don’t think it’s poor when you look at the location of the poster and read baseless comments like “jay leach sucks as a coach”.

People expected the P B's to be good and they are 1-4-1. Questioning the coach is fair. The roster is full of prospects that most on here are high on. Senyshyn and Zboril appear to have regressed and are on pace to be -80 on the year.

The Canadian posters all know there stuff even if you disagree with them you couldn't be more wrong re the location thing.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

This whole narrative of soft NCAA players versus tough CHL guys needs to go away. Toughest guys on the Bs right now, outside of Chara, are Kevan Miller, Chris Wagner and Noel Acciari. Chris Nilan and Mike Milbury were both NCAA guys. Softest player I have ever seen in a Bs uniform was Ryan Spooner. Where did he play his college hockey? I’ve watched 6’3” Zach Senyshyn many times in Providence and let’s just say he isn’t overly familiar with corners.

As for the idea you can’t win with NCAA guys didn't the Pens have the most NCAA guys in the NHL both years they won their recent cups?

Good players can come from anywhere. Tough players can come from anywhere. Ask George Parros.

It is an old and uninformed narrative. You should probably give it a rest.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’re trying very hard to bring a prospect down. Yah that makes complete sense.

I posted a tweet saying he was scratched and that it was probably due to lack of effort/poor play and now cehlarik fans are trying to spin zone getting benched from an AHL team.

I’m not trying to bring him down. I don’t really even care for Heinz just thought it was interesting he got benched from and AHL team while a group of people on this forum want him called up.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
But yet he still looked better than Donato so what does that say for him

Lol cehlarik is getting scratched from an AHL team so I’m not sure your statement is true. If cehlarik looked better than donato, he would have started the year with the bruins

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Lol cehlarik is getting scratched from an AHL team so I’m not sure your statement is true. If cehlarik looked better than donato, he would have started the year with the bruins

No, sir. Donato looked worse than Cehlarik in camp. Donato stayed up because he racked up a pretty sick pile of points last season when he joined the team from Harvard and because he is getting some kind of special consideration from the FO/coaching staff based on reasons most all of us here can only guess at. I don't know if Cehlarik would be looking any better in place of Donato right now, but for many us, we felt he earned a shot out of camp.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This whole narrative of soft NCAA players versus tough CHL guys needs to go away. Toughest guys on the Bs right now, outside of Chara, are Kevan Miller, Chris Wagner and Noel Acciari. Chris Nilan and Mike Milbury were both NCAA guys. Softest player I have ever seen in a Bs uniform was Ryan Spooner. Where did he play his college hockey? I’ve watched 6’3” Zach Senyshyn many times in Providence and let’s just say he isn’t overly familiar with corners.

As for the idea you can’t win with NCAA guys didn't the Pens have the most NCAA guys in the NHL both years they won their recent cups?

Good players can come from anywhere. Tough players can come from anywhere. Ask George Parros.

It is an old and uniformed narrative. You should probably give it a rest.

You are correct.

But any player that gets to enter hockey as a Vesey type free agent ex NCAA player or is a good enough prospect to use a potential situation like that as leverage such as Donato has a huge advantage.

All 3 guys should not be on the roster at this point 1/3 needs to go to Providence. Their role on the team requires some strength/grit which they have none of. All are 22-23 by this point making it unlikely they add it. I don't know what you do with a 50 point guy that is unplayable in the playoffs honestly.

That is very worrying that Seny is soft god what an atrocious pick I saw one shift from him in a preseason game last year and immediately went 'oh crap.' We are much better at scouting NCAA talent than CHL talent.

We'll see its too early to determine if we made the right move letting Schaller and Riley Nash walk. But our team immediately becomes way more balanced if Cehlarik replaces one of Donato.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad