Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don’t think he’s a top 6 guy going forward either. I just don’t see another option right now. Maybe they go heinen top line and Pastrnak 2nd line, but then that leaves coyle with two of (bjork/cehlarik/kuhlman/senyshyn/studnicka) after last year I’m not sure if Cassidy wants to go too much inexperience in the 3rd line again.
yeah hard to say Rico, some internal competition for sure but the argument then becomes, are any of the kids mentioned ready for full time NHL duties? We shall see

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I love Cehlarik threads the naysayers want him to fail and the saysayers want him to succeed. What’s bothersome is why anyone would want to see a prospect commodity fail?

My only concern with Cehlarik is the infamous ‘pace’ thing. If he can’t improve his straight line speed ‘btw I believe he’s ‘ok quick start’ he will have difficulty making the bruins.

The prospects will be battling. He has a chance but won’t be easy.

as one of the "naysayers", i'd personally love to see this guy put up 60 points and be a legit top 6 forward.
but reality and tons of viewings lead me to believe he just isn't gonna be that guy. we'll see.

mark divver said a lot of teams had interest in cehlarik via trade. it'll be a shame if sweeney
ends up watching him get claimed off waivers in september versus nabbing an asset for him.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
as one of the "naysayers", i'd personally love to see this guy put up 60 points and be a legit top 6 forward.
but reality and tons of viewings lead me to believe he just isn't gonna be that guy. we'll see.

mark divver said a lot of teams had interest in cehlarik via trade. it'll be a shame if sweeney
ends up watching him get claimed off waivers in september versus nabbing an asset for him.

I think he’s an NHL player should at least have Vatrano type success in a new organization. We just hold him to a different standard than say Donato last fall. If he were a little better of a skater I’m sure we live with the warts.

He’s looked good in the NHL at times he’s close to being a good player maybe he took a step forward this summer and will pot 20. Far more likely than Senyshyn who sucked in the AHL.

Reactions: Pomee

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
maybe if he has another good preseason - dont have him start the season in the minors. that will prob help his confidence a bit unlike last season where guys like gamel smith played before him.

Reactions: missingchicklet

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
If the bruins feel he won't crack the lineup this season, he'll be traded before the season starts (considering he would have to go through waivers)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He’s looked good in the NHL at times he’s close to being a good player maybe he took a step forward this summer and will pot 20. Far more likely than Senyshyn who sucked in the AHL.

that's a little harsh. the stats weren't great, but if you watched zach play i would say he's made a lot of progress.
his combo of wheels/size/skill/work ethic says to me he has a better shot than cehlarik to play in boston.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
that's a little harsh. the stats weren't great, but if you watched zach play i would say he's made a lot of progress.
his combo of wheels/size/skill/work ethic says to me he has a better shot than cehlarik to play in boston.

That’s fair I’m still judging Senny off of “oh crap who’s that guy he’s awful” from a preseason game I think coming up on 4 years ago. Hope I get a different reaction this September.

Cehlarik is a guy with hands to pot 20+ on an ELC it’s kind of annoying people made excuses for Backes skating when he made 6 mil but can’t look past this dude being slightly below average and pretty acceptable for his size. I’m only counting 3 “good” wingers on the team Heinen and the 4th liners don’t count I think Cehlarik is the only guy we could rely on to fill in for Brad JDB or Pasta if something were to happen to them.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
His skating isn’t an issue for me, his decision making and laziness on defense is

I’m willing to give him another shot though. He’s big and has skill, I would hate to watch him turn into something decent elsewhere

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
One thing those clips show me is Peter’s effectiveness around the net. He didn’t get pushed around.

Good point. He is a big body (not just tall at 6'2", but what Chiarelli would cringe-ingly call "thick") with the hockey IQ to know where to go and how to position his body with the deft hands to make good tips.

Really pulling for this guy, but without improving his quickness, think he'll be destined for a fine career in one of the European leagues.

Reactions: Pomee

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Strong on the boards, a natural in front of the net and a play maker in the neutral zone. You couldn’t sculpt a more perfect winger for Krejci.

i know you're a big fan of this guy - do you think cassidy has any time for him?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
i know you're a big fan of this guy - do you think cassidy has any time for him?

Honestly, I think it's more Sweeney than Cassidy. Cehlarik doesn't fit what Sweeney's trying to build. I feel like Sweeney is using the Bergeron line as the model for how he wants this team to look and play. Speed and creativity on the wings, and size and two-way play from his centers. Not that Bergeron is all that big, but he plays strong on his feet, and all of Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher, are big, two-way guys.

Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, Bjork, even Senyshyn... I think those are the kinds of wings Sweeney likes. Speed to the outside, good hands and creativity... Cehlarik doesn't fit that model; he's not fast, he's not slippery. He's an odd collection of skills, it just happens to be a skillset that works well with Krejci. We'll see. This staff has a history of trying things right after I give up on them ever trying it, so there's a chance.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I love Cehlarik threads the naysayers want him to fail and the saysayers want him to succeed. What’s bothersome is why anyone would want to see a prospect commodity fail?

My only concern with Cehlarik is the infamous ‘pace’ thing. If he can’t improve his straight line speed ‘btw I believe he’s ‘ok quick start’ he will have difficulty making the bruins.

The prospects will be battling. He has a chance but won’t be easy.

I don’t think anyone wants to see him fail. Pretty sure everyone here would love if he became a solid top 9 player on this team. Problem is he has yet to show it. He has a decent ability to shoot the puck, but he isn’t a good skater, he isn’t good at skating and getting open without the puck and he is far from a grinder type player who battles against the boards.

There are just too many better, younger, more promising prospects than him on the team for many of us to see him carving out any type of solid role.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Honestly, I think it's more Sweeney than Cassidy. Cehlarik doesn't fit what Sweeney's trying to build. I feel like Sweeney is using the Bergeron line as the model for how he wants this team to look and play. Speed and creativity on the wings, and size and two-way play from his centers. Not that Bergeron is all that big, but he plays strong on his feet, and all of Studnicka, Frederic, Beecher, are big, two-way guys.

Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, Bjork, even Senyshyn... I think those are the kinds of wings Sweeney likes. Speed to the outside, good hands and creativity... Cehlarik doesn't fit that model; he's not fast, he's not slippery. He's an odd collection of skills, it just happens to be a skillset that works well with Krejci. We'll see. This staff has a history of trying things right after I give up on them ever trying it, so there's a chance.
The see it the other way,it was Cassidy who sent him back after outplaying the favorites in camp
But that segways into this question, who do you think gets the Ryan Donato most rope award this camp?
My picks Senyshyn and probably Bjork

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The see it the other way,it was Cassidy who sent him back after outplaying the favorites in camp
But that segways into this question, who do you think gets the Ryan Donato most rope award this camp?
My picks Senyshyn and probably Bjork

At this point, Cehlarik must feel like Charlie Brown, wondering if they’re going to pull the football out from under him after he outplays all the rookies in camp for the third year in a row.

With regard to the most rope award...
Does Ritchie count? I think they want him in the top9 and are going to force it until it costs them real points OR, best case scenario, he rediscovers his offense.

Otherwise I think you’re right, Senyshyn is most likely the next favored son. But I think it would be a tragedy if they overlook Kuhman, Cehlarik, and Bjork. IMO they are the most deserving and have shown real flashes of ability in the NHL.

Reactions: Blowfish

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
At this point, Cehlarik must feel like Charlie Brown, wondering if they’re going to pull the football out from under him after he outplays all the rookies in camp for the third year in a row.

With regard to the most rope award...
Does Ritchie count? I think they want him in the top9 and are going to force it until it costs them real points OR, best case scenario, he rediscovers his offense.

Otherwise I think you’re right, Senyshyn is most likely the next favored son. But I think it would be a tragedy if they overlook Kuhman, Cehlarik, and Bjork. IMO they are the most deserving and have shown real flashes of ability in the NHL.

There are likely two jobs on RW in the top 9, with all other top 9 roles filled. Bjork, Kuhlman, Cehlarik, Senyshyn and Ritchie offer a really nice group to fill those two spaces.

It's going to be interesting to see who survives training camp. Like you I'm guessing they will give Ritchie one spot (RW next to Krejci), even if he doesn't look appreciably better than the others. Bjork and Kuhlman have the best shot at RW on the third line. If either choice falters they can bring up a good replacement.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Ritchie
Heinen - Coyle - Bjork/Kuhlman

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
There are likely two jobs on RW in the top 9, with all other top 9 roles filled. Bjork, Kuhlman, Cehlarik, Senyshyn and Ritchie offer a really nice group to fill those two spaces.

It's going to be interesting to see who survives training camp. Like you I'm guessing they will give Ritchie one spot (RW next to Krejci), even if he doesn't look appreciably better than the others. Bjork and Kuhlman have the best shot at RW on the third line. If either choice falters they can bring up a good replacement.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Ritchie
Heinen - Coyle - Bjork/Kuhlman

I wonder if the fact that Cehlarik is no longer waiver eligible will force them to give him a longer look. Bjork and Kuhlman could both be sent down without waivers. Cehlarik and Ritchie cannot.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, Bjork, even Senyshyn... I think those are the kinds of wings Sweeney likes. Speed to the outside, good hands and creativity
I don't think anyone would accuse Debrusk or Senyshyn of creativity, and those two are Sweeney's wing picks out of that list. I don't know what he's looking for in his wings.

And Cehlarik is fairly creative. Also, supremely creative when it comes to displaying inconsistency. Frustrating player.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I wonder if the fact that Cehlarik is no longer waiver eligible will force them to give him a longer look. Bjork and Kuhlman could both be sent down without waivers. Cehlarik and Ritchie cannot.

Waiver concerns could indeed shape the roster choices and give Cehlarik another chance. However, if GM Sweeney manages a trade I won't be surprised if he tries to move Cehlarik.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Waiver concerns could indeed shape the roster choices and give Cehlarik another chance. However, if GM Sweeney manages a trade I won't be surprised if he tries to move Cehlarik.

This will be PC`s last kick at er` for the B`s. I was and still am pulling for the kid but this is the player currently in the organization I`m most frustrated with, good size, good offensive instinct but just looks way too lost at times at the NHL level. He`s a guy who an opponent gets as an add on not a focal point of a deal. He might still land somewhere that doesn`t worry as much about 200 ft game and do well but I just don`t see Boston being that team.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
He has a goal in the second pre-season game.
He can at times look good along the boards and creating scoring chances.
But he is inconsistent and is getting outshined by other guys.

He needs to really "hit it out of the park" and prove he is head and shoulders above the other non-NHLers at camp.
Bjork has done this, Steen is doing it. Cehlarik isnt yet.

Reactions: whitetape

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How is he doing so far in camp?

He's looked good (pace/forechecking) playing limited minutes - his first goal started with Didier (beautiful pass to Cehlark / Cehlarik to Gaunce and Cehlarik driving to the net for beautiful tip in.

So far he's played with Gaunce, Lantosi, Shen, and Lindholm. Each of whom have played well.

In my humble opinion, Senny, Cehlark, Gaunce, Bjork, and Lindholm are battling for a bruin job. With the most recent draft picks (i.e. Steen/Stud) close to making the team developing in Providence. Players that can clear waivers are the obvious first choice to be cut if you factor in player management/trades/ etc....

I see him being cut and a team claiming him off waivers. My problem with Cehlarik is concerns with straight line speed and his inability to contribute to the PK. This is a definite bonus if you want to play for Cassidy.

A good read on Cehlarik.

https://thehockeywriters.com/boston-bruins-peter-cehlarik-roster-spot/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad