Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - III

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cehlarik has never been particularly outstanding at any level he's ever played at. His best campaign anywhere was reaching 20 goals in Providence, which doesn't scream grand potential for an NHL career.

He's 24 and hasn't really stuck at the NHL level, and that includes significant time riding Krejci's wing when he was in Boston. I just don't see it coming together with this guy.

he also played three seasons in a mens league before he even came over here. He's too slow for the NHL, simple as that IMO

Reactions: neelynugs

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think kuhlman has the inside track at the 2RW. He played very well in his short stint on that line in the regular season and as well in the playoffs.

I certainly hope not.

Good kid, decent player.

The Bruins need to put legitimate talent in positions to succeed if they want to be at the top again this season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I certainly hope not.

Good kid, decent player.

The Bruins need to put legitimate talent in positions to succeed if they want to be at the top again this season.

Have to agree- Kuhlman didn't look to have the offensive skills for top 6 duty. He'll be a great bottom 6 guy though and one you could move up in a crisis.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
he also played three seasons in a mens league before he even came over here. He's too slow for the NHL, simple as that IMO

I have to wonder, because if he really was just not going to cut it, and is too slow, why sign him to a new deal? There is already plenty of forward depth at that level without him. Not saying you're wrong, but it seems that Bruins see something legitimate with the guy that tells them he's worth giving one more shot to. Certainly if he's too slow, they have to know he isn't getting any faster at this point.

Reactions: Ratty

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I certainly hope not.

Good kid, decent player.

Here's a thing, these decisions aren't made in a vacuum. Sure, on his own, you are correct. But if his presence elevates Debrusk's and Krejci's games because he is super fast, can shoot and battles like the dickens down low, then you sure as hell play him on the second line. So, I think @UncleRico is spot on here. They've got a bit of positive history and think they can be a 2nd line for a cup contender. Debrusk has to be more consistent this year, and I felt like he played his best hockey with Kuhlman on that line. My $0.02.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I certainly hope not.

Good kid, decent player.

He’s looked better than cehlarik and bjork so far. We haven’t seen what senyshyn can do but not like there are many options.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Just for reference, last year's #s including playoffs:

Cehlarik - 4/2/6 +3 in 20 games
Kuhlman - 4/4/8 +6 in 19 games
Bjork - 1/2/3 -1 in 20 games

Obviously there is a reason Kuhlman got the call over PC for the end of the season & playoffs and not just handedness and slash line.

At this point the waiver wire is Cehlarik's strongest argument for making the team.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I actually see both Kuhlman and Cehlarik on the opening night's roster, regardless of which veterans sit out for extra rest. The onl thing that would prevent them from taking a spot would be the performance of Ritchie and/or Lindholm. Cehlarik plays a game similar to Johansson (minus the foot speed). I like the idea of a Cehlarik, Coyle, Kuhlman third line.

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak
Cehlarik Coyle Kuhlman
Nordstrom Kuraly Wagner

Cheers!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I actually see both Kuhlman and Cehlarik on the opening night's roster, regardless of which veterans sit out for extra rest. The onl thing that would prevent them from taking a spot would be the performance of Ritchie and/or Lindholm. Cehlarik plays a game similar to Johansson (minus the foot speed). I like the idea of a Cehlarik, Coyle, Kuhlman third line.

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak
Cehlarik Coyle Kuhlman
Nordstrom Kuraly Wagner

Cheers!

I’m hoping for this:

Marchand-bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-kuhlman
Heinen-coyle-studnicka
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

Bergy started off his first year as a winger. I think studnicka will stand out so much among the rest that he will force the teams hand to find a way to put him in the lineup.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m hoping for this:

Marchand-bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-kuhlman
Heinen-coyle-studnicka
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

Bergy started off his first year as a winger. I think studnicka will stand out so much among the rest that he will force the teams hand to find a way to put him in the lineup.
I like Kuhlman but ultimately I think he`d be most productive and ideally suited for a 3rd line role, just not quite sold on him being a top 6 guy but all depends on how things play out at TC

Reactions: Estlin

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I’m hoping for this:

Marchand-bergy-pasta
Debrusk-krejci-kuhlman
Heinen-coyle-studnicka
Nordstrom-kuraly-Wagner

Fingers crossed. We really need someone to step up and put some pucks in the net. I do think DeBrusk takes a step forward this year.

As for Cehlarik, I don't see him becoming a regular on the Bruins. It seems like he's a good passer but I need to see more urgency in his game. Not that he's lazy or a floater. I can't put it into words but it's like he's at a line and he hasn't been able to cross it yet.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I like Kuhlman but ultimately I think he`d be most productive and ideally suited for a 3rd line role, just not quite sold on him being a top 6 guy but all depends on how things play out at TC

I don’t think he’s a top 6 guy going forward either. I just don’t see another option right now. Maybe they go heinen top line and Pastrnak 2nd line, but then that leaves coyle with two of (bjork/cehlarik/kuhlman/senyshyn/studnicka) after last year I’m not sure if Cassidy wants to go too much inexperience in the 3rd line again.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Fingers crossed. We really need someone to step up and put some pucks in the net. I do think DeBrusk takes a step forward this year.

As for Cehlarik, I don't see him becoming a regular on the Bruins. It seems like he's a good passer but I need to see more urgency in his game. Not that he's lazy or a floater. I can't put it into words but it's like he's at a line and he hasn't been able to cross it yet.

I hear you. His pace and fragility have been his undoing so far. But, when he has been healthy and on his game, he has looked like an NHL'r.

The thing I like about him as a 3rd liner next to Coyle is that they have that rare combo if wingspan and hands. They are both really good at stripping pucks and making the short pass in transition. Coyle, especially knows how to move through the neutral zonee, gain position and make a smart dump into the zone. A guy like Kulhman can beat defenders on that sort of play.

All three of those players are great on the cycle as well.

But this is all dependent on health and whether Cehlarik is willing to pick up his pace a bit. The skills and smarts are there.

Fingers crossed.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak
Cehlarik Coyle Kuhlman
Nordstrom Kuraly Wagner

Cheers!

i like that but would swap cehlarik and debrusk

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
i like that but would swap cehlarik and debrusk

I haven`t seen anything in his game that suggests he could handle the stronger matchups he`d face from opponents going up against DK, think he`s better suited for a 3rd line role

Going to be loads of internal competition, he needs to stand out in camp or he`ll simply wind up being JAG

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Marchand Bergeron Heinen
DeBrusk Krejci Pastrnak
Cehlarik Coyle Kuhlman
Nordstrom Kuraly Wagner

Cheers!

Cehlarik plays a game similar to Johansson, really? I think they are very different type players. Johansson is a much better skater and great with the puck on his stick with his ability to create. I have yet to see cehlarik be able to carry the puck and create at all.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Cehlarik plays a game similar to Johansson, really? I think they are very different type players. Johansson is a much better skater and great with the puck on his stick with his ability to create. I have yet to see cehlarik be able to carry the puck and create at all.

I am not suggesting that they are equal players (Johansson is a top 6 winger, Cehlarik is on the bubble). I am only suggesting that they have similar skill sets and approach the game in a similar way.

Johanssson is a great skater and one of the leagues' best players at zone entries. Cehlarik has a plodding stride and foot speed issues, and is more of a straight line skater. He relies on his linemates for breakouts. However, BOTH players are good at making short relay passes when skating is not an option. Cehlarik is very good at finding ways to move the puck along, even if he cannot move it himself.

Both players are excellent at the cycle and will patiently cycle until a pass becomes available. Both players are excellent playmakers...however, Cehlarik is much more willing to go to the front of the net than Johansson. Cehlarik is a very good threat in close.

Both players are very fragile, but when healthy, Cehlarik's size and wingspan is a plus.

Will Cehlarik find a fit this year? Who knows, but I have seen enough of him to know it will not be a lack of skill that keeps him off the roster.

Here are a few clips showing off his ability.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I am not suggesting that they are equal players (Johansson is a top 6 winger, Cehlarik is on the bubble). I am only suggesting that they have similar skill sets and approach the game in a similar way.

Johanssson is a great skater and one of the leagues' best players at zone entries. Cehlarik has a plodding stride and foot speed issues, and is more of a straight line skater. He relies on his linemates for breakouts. However, BOTH players are good at making short relay passes when skating is not an option. Cehlarik is very good at finding ways to move the puck along, even if he cannot move it himself.

Both players are excellent at the cycle and will patiently cycle until a pass becomes available. Both players are excellent playmakers...however, Cehlarik is much more willing to go to the front of the net than Johansson. Cehlarik is a very good threat in close.

Both players are very fragile, but when healthy, Cehlarik's size and wingspan is a plus.

Will Cehlarik find a fit this year? Who knows, but I have seen enough of him to know it will not be a lack of skill that keeps him off the roster.

Here are a few clips showing off his ability.

Literally none of those videos remind me of anything Marcus Johansson, but alright.

When I think of Marcus Johansson I think of a player who is patient with the puck on his stick, good at creating in space while carrying the puck from zone to zone, great at skating without the puck. Cehlarik hasn’t shown any of that.

Cehlarik doesn’t nearly carry the puck as much as Johansson and almost immediately passes and has little patients with the puck on his stick.

Last edited:

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I hope he is spending his summer working hard on his skating. Just a little more quickness to go with his hands and his smarts will make a big difference.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Literally none of those videos remind me of anything Marcus Johansson, but alright.

When I think of Marcus Johansson I think of a player who is patient with the puck on his stick, good at creating in space while carrying the puck from zone to zone, great at skating without the puck. Cehlarik hasn’t shown any of that.

Cehlarik doesn’t nearly carry the puck as much as Johansson and almost immediately passes and has little patients with the puck on his stick

Cehlarik doesn’t nearly carry the puck as much as Johansson and almost immediately passes and has little patients with the puck on his stick.

Well, I suppose the patience/possession aspects are not highlighted in those clips (they are just clips, btw) and it’s not like there is a ton of tape on the guy as he has only played here or there with the big B’s. But, if you watch him in Providence where he gets top six 5v5 and top PP minutes, he does a little bit of everything including the patience/possession thing.

What I suggested is that if he has a regular shift next to a guy like Coyle...in a complimentary role, you might see more about what I am taking about. Getting spot duty alongside Krejci against top line match-ups isn’t always an easy gig.

This could all be moot. If he doesn’t impress in training camp, he gets waived and likely snagged.

Wait and see.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I love Cehlarik threads the naysayers want him to fail and the saysayers want him to succeed. What’s bothersome is why anyone would want to see a prospect commodity fail?

My only concern with Cehlarik is the infamous ‘pace’ thing. If he can’t improve his straight line speed ‘btw I believe he’s ‘ok quick start’ he will have difficulty making the bruins.

The prospects will be battling. He has a chance but won’t be easy.

Reactions: Pomee

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I love Cehlarik threads the naysayers want him to fail and the saysayers want him to succeed. What’s bothersome is why anyone would want to see a prospect commodity fail?

My only concern with Cehlarik is the infamous ‘pace’ thing. If he can’t improve his straight line speed ‘btw I believe he’s ‘ok quick start’ he will have difficulty making the bruins.

People want prospects/players to fail so they can be right.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I would even say that if he gets his decision making with the puck nailed down, he won't even need to get much faster- he will never be a guy to rely on speed, but making the right passes etc. will make up for some of that deficiency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad