Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - II

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I never said anything about Cehlarik being persecuted / I do maintain the younger forward players are being used as ponds / part of Don's strategy this year. It's what GMs do. Just sucks that it's Cehlarik that was sent down to start the season.

Much like you and your ongoing Heinen "is playing well but not producing" posts, the eye test with Cehlarik was more than enough for some fans to recognize Cehlarik was good and deserved to stick with the bruins..he looked as effective with Krejci last year before going down to injury. I don't have the patience to post play by play analysis as you do with Heinen to build a case and that points will come...the coach and his linemates said as much before Cehlarik went down to injury last year.

It's interesting to me that you bring up Cehlarik and his lack of production as a reason for him to stay in Providence yet Heinen continues playing for the bruins having an unbelievably brutal year(s) producing. And yes the eye test for me agrees with you he's a good player and the points will start coming for Heinen.

Cehlarik has played well and producing. He will have his ups and downs and hopefully he has the same amount of leeway as some other players on the bruins otherwise you will have some of us saying wtf again???

You said Cehlarik was a scapegoat and was sent down as part of Sweeney’s “strategizing”, and was far and away the best of the “under 23 group”. You went on to say that Cehlarik being sent down was strictly to inflate the trade value of other NHL players, and make it seem like the B’s FO is targeting Cehlarik.

That’s persecution.

The idea that Don Sweeney would leave a player that could fill a hole on the second line down in PRO for three months just to prop up the trade value of other players is a ridiculous notion.

I have said it before and will repeat, I have liked Cehlarik since I saw him in the WJC’s years ago. This was probably before most of the posters here had any clue who he was. Yet, it looks like I dislike Cehlarik simply because I have to refute this HF nonsense about him.

He’s got a very good hockey IQ from what I have seen, good hands, and a big body. The biggest concern for me is the lack of speed. People can poo-poo it, but the game has moved in the skating/speed direction in a big way. Player that are not great skaters need to work extra hard to compete by being smarter, taking better angles, etc., and it’s not easy. I think Heinen is a better skater than Cehlarik, but I place him in the same category.

As far as Heinen, his lack of production, and why he stayed in Boston while Cehlarik was not called up...it comes down to two very basic rules, one being waivers. I’m not sure why this even needs to be explained? If Heinen was waiver exempt, there is no doubt in my mind he would have been sent down to work on his game. The second reason Cehlarik wasn’t called up was because he wasn’t the best player in PRO this year until about a month ago. Cave was better early and Donato was better afternoon he was sent down.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think Cehlarik is the answer (at least this year) for the 2nd line. In order to compete with the Tampa’s of the world, I believe the B’s need to add a legit Top 6 wing and probably a decent 3rd line C to the mix in order to do that.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You said Cehlarik was a scapegoat and was sent down as part of Sweeney’s “strategizing”, and was far and away the best of the “under 23 group”. You went on to say that Cehlarik being sent down was strictly to inflate the trade value of other NHL players, and make it seem like the B’s FO is targeting Cehlarik.

That’s persecution.

The idea that Don Sweeney would leave a player that could fill a hole on the second line down in PRO for three months just to prop up the trade value of other players is a ridiculous notion.

I have said it before and will repeat, I have liked Cehlarik since I saw him in the WJC’s years ago. This was probably before most of the posters here had any clue who he was. Yet, it looks like I dislike Cehlarik simply because I have to refute this HF nonsense about him.

He’s got a very good hockey IQ from what I have seen, good hands, and a big body. The biggest concern for me is the lack of speed. People can poo-poo it, but the game has moved in the skating/speed direction in a big way. Player that are not great skaters need to work extra hard to compete by being smarter, taking better angles, etc., and it’s not easy. I think Heinen is a better skater than Cehlarik, but I place him in the same category.

As far as Heinen, his lack of production, and why he stayed in Boston while Cehlarik was not called up...it comes down to two very basic rules, one being waivers. I’m not sure why this even needs to be explained? If Heinen was waiver exempt, there is no doubt in my mind he would have been sent down to work on his game. The second reason Cehlarik wasn’t called up was because he wasn’t the best player in PRO this year until about a month ago. Cave was better early and Donato was better afternoon he was sent down.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think Cehlarik is the answer (at least this year) for the 2nd line. In order to compete with the Tampa’s of the world, I believe the B’s need to add a legit Top 6 wing and probably a decent 3rd line C to the mix in order to do that.

Thanks GD for taking the time to post. We agree. :) Now lets hope the bruins make a good move to make them able to compete with the Tampa Bays and Washingtons...heck Islanders!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Some thoughts reading this thread...

IMO Cehlarik was clearly the best rookie in camp. @Saxon Eric, @dafoomie... many of us saw it and said as much then (and every month since- to much ridicule).

I also don't buy this notion that he didn't get called up because he had a "bad start" in Providence. I can accept that he wasn't at his best but he still had 6 points in his first 8 games, 11 points in his first 13 games and was -1. Those aren't awful numbers. Ryan Donato had 9 points in 10 games and a -1 and he got the call.

JFK, now he actually had a bad start, 4 points in his first 10 games, and when they needed a center they didn't call Cave who was dominating down there, they called JFK. They didn't care about the -2 or JFK's bad start.

I also don't think there's a big conspiracy at play... I just think they liked JFK (as a prospect) better than Cave, so he got the call. I think they like Bjork and Donato more than Cehlarik, so they got the call. I think it's that simple.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Some thoughts reading this thread...

IMO Cehlarik was clearly the best rookie in camp. @Saxon Eric, @dafoomie... many of us saw it and said as much then (and every month since- to much ridicule).

I also don't buy this notion that he didn't get called up because he had a "bad start" in Providence. I can accept that he wasn't at his best but he still had 6 points in his first 8 games, 11 points in his first 13 games and was -1. Those aren't awful numbers. Ryan Donato had 9 points in 10 games and a -1 and he got the call.

JFK, now he actually had a bad start, 4 points in his first 10 games, and when they needed a center they didn't call Cave who was dominating down there, they called JFK. They didn't care about the -2 or JFK's bad start.

I also don't think there's a big conspiracy at play... I just think they liked JFK (as a prospect) better than Cave, so he got the call. I think they like Bjork and Donato more than Cehlarik, so they got the call. I think that it's that simple...

Basically bad judgement by Bruins GM.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

That’s persecution.

I see no harm in getting a Justin Williams or vanek at low cost in case cehlerik slips.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
46 games before he was called up. Bs one of the worst in the league in even strength goals. Bs putting 4th liners on the second line looking for an answer. Some youngsters being put in the lineup despite not producing much at all, with one of them clearly not being ready for the NHL by any standard. Cehlarik showed what he was showing now in preseason. It's not like it was a big secret. Several people here were pointing out back at the start of the season what some are pointing out now regarding his game. A real head-scratcher that it took so long to even give him a look. Would have been nice if he had been able to hone his game at the NHL level for the amount of games other less-deserving and less effective players have been given. Of course, all of that is water under the bridge now and Cehlarik is up with the Bs, but it does make one wonder about talent evaluation with some parts of the organization, if indeed that's what is at play here.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
46 games before he was called up. Bs one of the worst in the league in even strength goals. Bs putting 4th liners on the second line looking for an answer. Some youngsters being put in the lineup despite not producing much at all, with one of them clearly not being ready for the NHL by any standard. Cehlarik showed what he was showing now in preseason. It's not like it was a big secret. Several people here were pointing out back at the start of the season what some are pointing out now regarding his game. A real head-scratcher that it took so long to even give him a look. Would have been nice if he had been able to hone his game at the NHL level for the amount of games other less-deserving and less effective players have been given. Of course, all of that is water under the bridge now and Cehlarik is up with the Bs, but it does make one wonder about talent evaluation with some parts of the organization, if indeed that's what is at play here.

I think it has more to do with the GM being close pals with one of the prospects Dads. I mean he told Ryan to get an apartment in Boston you can't make him live and work 50 miles away in another state after that.

Reactions: Pomee

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I see no harm in getting a Justin Williams or vanek at low cost in case cehlerik slips.

Why is it Cehlarik that has to slip? What about Heinen and Donato being flat out bad and JFK somehow managing to be softer than both of them even if hes done pretty well overall and likely played the best of the 3?

Reactions: Pomee

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I still think it had to do with handshake agreements with Donato and Bjork.

Bruins did what they had to do to avoid letting them return for senior year and then walk for nothing. Think they projected that they would be good enough to earn the spots anyway, so worth the gamble.
I don’t know, I think this is becoming a pattern with this management group. They did the same thing last year with Vatrano. Frankie V also had a very good camp, as did Heinen. IMO both of those guys outplayed DeBrusk in training camp, but nothing was going to keep them from putting DeBrusk on the second line. He had that spot sewn up in July.

Now, it’s not the end of the world that they do business like this... I don’t think anybody misses Frank Vatrano even if he is outscoring both DeBrusk and Heinen. But there are three things that bug me about this approach... 1) We’re not getting the most out of our prospects. Bypassing over guys who have worked hard to improve makes the older prospect look like he’s stalled out. What would Vatrano have been worth if he got to play with Krejci last year, and put up 28 goals and 50 points like he’s on pace for now? 2) I feel like they miss some golden opportunities to improve the team by force feeding lineups that are decided in August instead of watching the games and acknowledging that X has chemistry with Y and maybe we should let that play out. 3) What kind of message does it send to the young players when the best guys in camp get cut and replaced by favored sons? Two years in a row now the best rookie in camp has started in Providence (Heinen and Cehlarik).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don’t know, I think this is becoming a pattern with this management group. They did the same thing last year with Vatrano. Frankie V also had a very good camp, as did Heinen. IMO both of those guys outplayed DeBrusk in training camp, but nothing was going to keep them from putting DeBrusk on the second line. He had that spot sewn up in July.

Now, it’s not the end of the world that they do business like this... I don’t think anybody misses Frank Vatrano even if he is outscoring both DeBrusk and Heinen. But there are three things that bug me about this approach... 1) We’re not getting the most out of our prospects. Bypassing over guys who have worked hard to improve makes the older prospect look like he’s stalled out. What would Vatrano have been worth if he got to play with Krejci last year, and put up 28 goals and 50 points like he’s on pace for now? 2) I feel like they miss some golden opportunities to improve the team by force feeding lineups that are decided in August instead of watching the games and acknowledging that X has chemistry with Y and maybe we should let that play out. 3) What kind of message does it send to the young players when the best guys in camp get cut and replaced by favored sons? Two years in a row now the best rookie in camp has started in Providence (Heinen and Cehlarik).

I can`t speak to the overall approach by management, not nearly smart enough to dissect that but what I have been disturbed mostly by is the lack of continuity by players playing with the same guys for long enough stretches to create some chemistry. I think this is the first stretch of games where we have seen the kid line play together, now, hasn`t resulted in stats that will have anyone sitting up and taking notice but if there`s one thing I have noticed is all 3 on that line have played their best hockey recently. Ok ok, I understand that their "best" hockey of the year still isn`t where it needs to be but I think why I have seen some nice strides from all 3 is because they have finally been kept together and been given the opportunity to create a bit of chemistry.

Injuries definitely played a role with the team for much of the year but too often Butch just pulls the plug on players and pulls them off one line then onto another. I think you are right about Debrusk, didn`t have a great camp but got the spot last July and there was/is enough of a sample size of him playing with DK that we all could see there was a nice fit there, would like to see Butch keep the kids together a touch longer until a deal is made (fingers crossed) for an upgrade

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Jets speed neutalized Cellys game in the 2nd half of the game

Like to see a few more games to see what Celly can do

Otherwise maybe keep the pre trade tryouts going and callup Senyshyn next

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Jets speed neutalized Cellys game in the 2nd half of the game

Like to see a few more games to see what Celly can do

Otherwise maybe keep the pre trade tryouts going and callup Senyshyn next
more like the whole team quit moving their legs in the 2nd and part of the 3rd.

thought Cehlarik was awesome tonight aside from that stretch where the whole team looked like they were ready to go home.

The big thing I want to see out of these young guys is what they do when they aren't scoring. Cehlarik was involved in a ton of chances and winning battles all over the ice. He easily passed the eye test tonight.

BruinsNetwork

thought Cehlarik was awesome tonight aside from that stretch where the whole team looked like they were ready to go home.

The big thing I want to see out of these young guys is what they do when they aren't scoring. Cehlarik was involved in a ton of chances and winning battles all over the ice. He easily passed the eye test tonight.

I second this. Specifically, watch what Cehlarik does when he’s in the neutral-zone along the boards waiting for the outlet pass. He frames himself and braces for contact, absorbs it and chips the puck forward. Saw it a couple times tonight. He’s been really good away from the puck.

To be quite honest, if Cehlarik were a player the Bruins just acquired via trade and didn’t have before now, then I’d say it was a sneaky good addition and he looks like a solution.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Unlike a majority of the forwards on the 3rd/4th lines he forced a couple passes last night. I thought he looked good breaking up plays in the O zone and turning those into meaningful scoring chances (he's done this in every game now). He will never play on the PK (not quick enough) however he should be playing over Debrusk on the first pp unit. His offensive instincts/positioning and ability to see/make plays is his greatest strength.

I noticed his speed drops significantly after a burst of energy / end of a play. He actually appears gassed and looking for his first opportunity to get to the bench. Hoping he can improve his skating because it will just add to his overall game.

I believe his low minutes last night was more a function of 4th line d responsibility playing against a very big fast team. Cassidy had a game plan and it involved leveraging his 4th line. Makes sense to me.

I can't wait for Nords to get back - I'm a big fan of his.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I second this. Specifically, watch what Cehlarik does when he’s in the neutral-zone along the boards waiting for the outlet pass. He frames himself and braces for contact, absorbs it and chips the puck forward. Saw it a couple times tonight. He’s been really good away from the puck.

To be quite honest, if Cehlarik were a player the Bruins just acquired via trade and didn’t have before now, then I’d say it was a sneaky good addition and he looks like a solution.

Yes great observation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad