Pete Chiarelli body of work (Edmonton only)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The Oilers finished 29th, 1 point ahead of a team that was intentionally trying to finish last. I am sure MacTavish could have accomplished that.

Chiarelli is obviously a better GM than MacT (a chimpanzee would also be better) but he had a minor positive impact, at best. Sekera was a great add, Maroon looks useful, and the Reinhart deal was terrible. Everything else was fiddling around the margins. The on ice results were no better. C or C+ is about right. I expect (and hope) that he will put his stamp on the team by making major changes in an attempt to finally push things forward. The fans have endured this crap for more than long enough.

Ference, Fayne and Nikitin would have all been NHL regulars if MacT was the GM..
I know the end result was the same in terms of finish but Chiarelli seems to have the right mindset. Also, judging by his signings it seems like he can get players locked up to decent deals.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I've only hated the Reinhart trade and I suspect that Lowe/MacT had a huge hand in that so overall I am really impressed with CHiarelli. It burns my soul we could've had Kyle Connor and McDavid fromt he same draft as well as Oliver Kylington.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This isn't true in any way shape or form, Marincin is becoming the new Omark.

I think Marincin was/is a good player. He's a young dman who showed really well at times, i don't think they should have moved him out either. I would have rather had him and seen Nurse and Reinhart spend the season in the AHL. He wasn't bad for the Leafs. He's got good puck skills, is big, and is an excellent skater. I think he has Z. Michalek type upside. I'm not losing sleep over it either though, you can't keep everyone.

If you're going to compare him to Omark i do think Aerchon is the new Nacho though.lol

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
If you are going to give Chiarelli all the credit for the moves you like, you have to give him all the criticism for the moves you don't like.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
You young kids wouldn't know a brutal trade if it sat on your face.

Let's see, brutal Oiler trades, I'll take Gretzky for 1000 Alex. Or how about Pronger for 200? Ya losing that mid first and high second really smarts. We would've made the playoffs fer sure!

I'm only a young kid compared to you iatl. I'm not a young pup though. I know you like Reinhart from his oil king days and I do too. He was trending downward though, and Barzal alone has twice the value Reinhart does. Never mind the other pick. Chia went all in on Hamilton, and panicked when he missed out.

Oct 15, 2008
I'm only a young kid compared to you iatl. I'm not a young pup though. I know you like Reinhart from his oil king days and I do too. He was trending downward though, and Barzal alone has twice the value Reinhart does. Never mind the other pick. Chia went all in on Hamilton, and panicked when he missed out.

You're talking about draft picks. Not even good draft picks. Mediocre draft picks.

I've seen the greatest player of all time traded out of here. Along with a handful of hall of famers traded out of here. Not one of them was a great deal for the Oilers. This isn't close. Assuming worst case scenario its still not even close. And as of right now nobody who we may or may not have picked with the mediocre draft picks has played in the NHL or is even close to playing in the NHL.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
@iatl

I'm not even talking about draft picks. Forget our 2nd. I'm talking Barzal who fell into our laps after Boston goes of the board with 2 of their 3 picks. Barzal is a much more valuable asset than Reinhart.

Prior to acquiring Reinhart we knew we had Sekera, Klefbom, and Nurse on our left side. Why did we pay a premium for another left shot defencemen? Now Davidson comes out of nowhere and Reinhart is our 5th best option on that left side. When will he ever get an opportunity to prove himself?

I like Reinhart as a player. I thought he looked pretty good with edmonton. He could certainly end up a good 2nd pairing D under the right circumstances, but he has 4 players he's got to beat out in edmonton. I just don't see how he could succeed here.

Oct 15, 2008
Barzal has done nothing in the NHL. You thinking he has more value is purely speculation. What we do know is he couldn't help us last year, he wouldn't help us this year, he may not even ever be a player period.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Barzal has done nothing in the NHL. You thinking he has more value is purely speculation. What we do know is he couldn't help us last year, he wouldn't help us this year, he may not even ever be a player period.

And that may be very true. Regardless of that Reinhart didn't fill a need for us and is stuck behind some very good defensemen. Where do you see Reinhart playing on this team in the next 1-3 years? I don't see a spot for him

Oct 15, 2008
And that may be very true. Regardless of that Reinhart didn't fill a need for us and is stuck behind some very good defensemen. Where do you see Reinhart playing on this team in the next 1-3 years? I don't see a spot for him
Lots of changes from year to year never mind 3 years down the road. These players we are talking about are prospects. That means we don't know what the future holds for sure. Its a guessing game. If you are asking for my guess I believe Reinhart will be an everyday player in 3yrs. Likely a Kevin Lowe type, most likely a shutdown d who is on the pk.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Lots of changes from year to year never mind 3 years down the road. These players we are talking about are prospects. That means we don't know what the future holds for sure. Its a guessing game. If you are asking for my guess I believe Reinhart will be an everyday player in 3yrs. Likely a Kevin Lowe type, most likely a shutdown d who is on the pk.

So do you think it was a good trade to spend 2 valuable assets on the kind of player you're talking about?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I think it could be worth noting that Griffin Reinhart coming to Edmonton was probably influenced by Bob Green who worked closely with Reinhart in the Oil Kings. I wouldn't blame Chia for that one.

I remember watching live at rexall and Chia DID NOT look happy announcing that trade. He looked very disappointed. Replay it if someone has it...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I know fans don't like the Reinhart trade to date but D-men are tough to call . If they were easy you would not have guys like Weber going in the 2nd rd . If you have 20 D in your system you might get lucky and have 5 that gets any NHL games out of that you may have one or 2 make an impact . The more bullets you have the better chance of hitting your target .

Chia did get rid of a lot of bad contracts . He did a draft where he draft 2 D in the late rounds that has look great so far , Bear and Paygin . Here a few prospects he bought in

1) Nick Ellis rating 7.5
2) Drake Caggiula rating 7.5 . I did not realize he also plays centre
3) Patrick Russell rating 7.0 a big RW .
4) Ethan Bear rating 7.0 RHD
5) Ziyat Paygin rating 6.5 LHD massive size 6.6

Calm thru the season yet very calculating . He knows what we need but he does not talk about it like Mac T . Even Sekera last year he said he doesn't think we will do much else . Then he ups and signs the top UFA D out there with out overpaying .

I give him a B+ . But this is the year that matters . He had his year to see the team . He knows what needs to be done . I don't care if he trades any of the old core as long as he gets at least 1 top pairing D and signs at least 1 RHD . Hall , RNH , Eberle , Yak , Pouliot can all go . Wingers are easier to replace and a bigger more physical C is needed for 3rd line C .

We need

2 RHD 1 top paring and 1 top 4
3rd line C
Replacements for who ever he trades .
Back goalie

And if he trades Hall to Montreal he needs to be fired

Montreal has nothing we want for Hall unless it was Subban but according to their GM he is not available and according to Chia he wasn't interested when there was a rumour he could be moved .

B+ that will drop to an F if he does not hit a home run trading Hall or RNH

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I remember watching live at rexall and Chia DID NOT look happy announcing that trade. He looked very disappointed. Replay it if someone has it...

If this is true then why make the trade? If he was told to make it then it flys in the face of the belief that he has total control here. That's something that's always going to be in question as long as Kevin Lowe is on the payroll.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its a weird day when I am agreeing completely with IATL. people make way to much out of this trade. We lost 2 non NHL pieces for an NHL piece. The hit rate of 15th overall picks is not high. Odds are he ends up as a Jordan Schroeder, Sven Basrtchi or Cody Hodgson level talent.

It looks bad because you have a junior kid lighting it up vs kids and a pro struggling to break it. And HF as a whole overvalues picks/prospects. There is a chance we lose this trade, there is a chance we dont lose it. For the next 2 years, we win the trade. In 2 years it could be a big loss, or still a win. Its not like Chiarelli took an NHL player and lost him. He just lost some magic beans

Remember when Pit got hosed by giving up 2 2nds for Doug Murray? Well both those seconds have yet to make NHL and yet to do anything in pro really.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
All I can say is that it is fairly amusing to see people pass of the 16 and 33 prospect in the Reinhart deal while falling all over themselves about the likes of Bear, Paigin, etc etc etc.

Sitting here this year trying to make a deal to improve this team without getting taken to the cleaners, those two prospects would look very good as assets to use or to know we can deal nhl players and have higher end prospects in the wings.

The top end projections from his biggest supporters are now, a couple years down the road i see him as a 4,5,6 dman that plays well defensively.

The type of guy you go and get in FA or get for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We got fleeced in that deal badly.

If the cost of it is Chai never listening to the clowns in this org again then it might be worth it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd say that the IN pile is better than the OUT, so that's better than what we've had for years. Our past couple of GM's only seemed to get quality IN's on draft day and had more poor UFA signings than good ones.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
If this is true then why make the trade? If he was told to make it then it flys in the face of the belief that he has total control here. That's something that's always going to be in question as long as Kevin Lowe is on the payroll.
Why isn't anyone mentioning that he may have been upset that he couldn't get Hamilton instead of bashing him for the trade he made.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Maybe he was just disappointed that he couldn't finalize a different (better) deal for a defenseman using those picks?

EDIT - ^^^^ beat me to it

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Why isn't anyone mentioning that he may have been upset that he couldn't get Hamilton instead of bashing him for the trade he made.

It's possible that he may just have been upset that he didn't get Hamilton.

Doesn't explain why he'd give up important assets for a player he isn't as sure about though. He did get poor information from whoever encouraged him to make the deal. That person, whoever it was, told him Reinhart was NHL ready. Clearly he wasn't. I doubt Chiarelli gives up as much as he did if he had an accurate scouting report on him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Its a weird day when I am agreeing completely with IATL. people make way to much out of this trade. We lost 2 non NHL pieces for an NHL piece. The hit rate of 15th overall picks is not high. Odds are he ends up as a Jordan Schroeder, Sven Basrtchi or Cody Hodgson level talent.

It looks bad because you have a junior kid lighting it up vs kids and a pro struggling to break it. And HF as a whole overvalues picks/prospects. There is a chance we lose this trade, there is a chance we dont lose it. For the next 2 years, we win the trade. In 2 years it could be a big loss, or still a win. Its not like Chiarelli took an NHL player and lost him. He just lost some magic beans

Remember when Pit got hosed by giving up 2 2nds for Doug Murray? Well both those seconds have yet to make NHL and yet to do anything in pro really.

Once again, it needs to be explained that it has nothing to do with the prospects and everything to do with not getting immediate help for those picks. Other teams do it all the time and for less than 16th and 33rd in a strong draft, there's no reason why the Oilers couldn't have done it either. I find it very hard to believe that there were no better deals out there to be had if Chia had remained patient.

Regardless, what's done is done so nothing can be done about it now. Lets hope that Reinhart is able to crack the roster full time at some point. Even that's in question right now.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
All I can say is that it is fairly amusing to see people pass of the 16 and 33 prospect in the Reinhart deal while falling all over themselves about the likes of Bear, Paigin, etc etc etc.

Sitting here this year trying to make a deal to improve this team without getting taken to the cleaners, those two prospects would look very good as assets to use or to know we can deal nhl players and have higher end prospects in the wings.

The top end projections from his biggest supporters are now, a couple years down the road i see him as a 4,5,6 dman that plays well defensively.

The type of guy you go and get in FA or get for a 2nd and 3rd round pick. We got fleeced in that deal badly.

If the cost of it is Chai never listening to the clowns in this org again then it might be worth it.

Noone is calling Bear/Jones/Paigin a future top pairing D. People are treating Barzal like hes Jordan Eberle or Claude Giroux while ignoring he likely levels off at Mikeal Granlund or Mason Raymond

I will 100% agree that the cost of the deal didnt come from losing a future Jordan Eberle, it came from losing tradeable pieces we could have used now. But is Reinharts values totally down? not to sure, Ill bet there is 3 or 4 GMs who still drool over him and would pay a good amount for him

But if people are thinking Barzal would be used in a deal now to get a top pairing D, its weird that theyd not also think Bear/Jones + smaller add would not also land that. I mean Bear had a season pretty equal to Barzal if you look at fact he was 5th in D scoring and Barzal 12th in forward scoring. Youd think Barzal was setting scoring records

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Once again, it needs to be explained that it has nothing to do with the prospects and everything to do with not getting immediate help for those picks. Other teams do it all the time and for less than 16th and 33rd in a strong draft, there's no reason why the Oilers couldn't have done it either. I find it very hard to believe that there were no better deals out there to be had if Chia had remained patient.

Regardless, what's done is done so nothing can be done about it now. Lets hope that Reinhart is able to crack the roster full time at some point. Even that's in question right now.

Well considering there was no other trades for established D besides Reinhart and Hamilton deals, and there were plenty of teams looking for D. I find it hard to believe there was any deal for a D out there that Chiarelli passed up for Reinhart

The trade was made right before 16th pick. You couldnt wait any longer. Once you pick, almost all trades go away. Teams want that pick to get their guy. Very few draft and trades happen ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad