Pete Chiarelli body of work (Edmonton only)

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
He traded a Stanley Cup winning dman for a 3rd round pick.

Oh man I'm going to be salty about "Stanley Cup Champion Justin Shultz" for a whiiiile.

As for Chia:
The Reinhart trade was a bit of a head scratcher in that I totally get not trusting the draft list of the historically bad scouting team you just fired, and thus those picks having less value to you. But then to turn around and use them to acquire a guy based apparently on the scouting report of those same collection of idiots. It wasn't a great trade, but hardly a disaster, and Reinhart could still turn into something.

I can't really find fault with any of his other moves. OF course this offseason is going to be the real metric.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Bad trades - Reinhart, Korpo, and to an extent Gryba.

He gets a C+ for at least improving goaltending and picking up some grit.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Reinhart trade is literally the only bad thing he's done IMO. Maybe getting Korpi. Signing Sekera for free made up for the loss in assets from the Reinhart deal so it's not too bad.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
id like to see a 3 line attack style like pitts but we have a big body on each line. a crasher...then a 4th line with hendriks kassian etc. im pumped if we can do that,. all maroon has to do is get chemistry win the battles and dont trip over himself.

he is doing fine so far

Yeah that's my thought too. Pittsburgh showed the value of 3 great lines. McDavid=Crosby, Hall=Kessel, Hopkins+Eberle=Malkin. Obviously the 3rd comparison isn't all that great as Malkin is far better than Hopkins but Eberle is also a lot better than any of his wingers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've really liked all of his moves so far outside of the Reinhart trade which I absolutely hated at the time and are still not very fond of. His other moves have been very good though, signing Sekera, trading for Talbot and Maroon are the big ones but I also like the minor stuff he's been doing like signing solid college FA's, getting assets back for Schultz and Purcell, creating competition in camp for the goalies ultimately leading to Scrivens being ousted but then still traded for a decent asset in Kassian. Liked him taking flyers on Pardy, Cracknell and Clendening too. Really there's not much to complain about outside of the Reinhart trade. I think another thing that should be added as a big positive or in the IN column for Chia is drafting Bear, Jones and Paigin. If you draft like that every year you're bound to find a couple of late round steals.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I would not gave Chia any rating............what he has done so far?..........any GM could have done what he has done.........remember what he said.....he needed a year to fully evaluate the roster.

The year is up......and now we can see what he will do with the draft coming next week and the free agency period on July1st.

This. People should note that every pro team in sports makes apparent slight improvements in attained personnel every season. What only gets revealed at a later point in time is whether the acquistions result in significant improvement and offset losses, degradation through age, injury, regression of present roster, etc.

As noted the improvements were minimal. Outside of Talbot, Maroon, Kass, Sekera (I don't even like the player) most of the list is less useful than dry stacked firewood. The absolute majority of the list is fill or dubious prospect.

People shouldn't confuse quantity with quality. I'll even add that airlifting players in is even disruptive and exacerbates development time, coaching etc.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I've really liked all of his moves so far outside of the Reinhart trade which I absolutely hated at the time and are still not very fond of. His other moves have been very good though, signing Sekera, trading for Talbot and Maroon are the big ones but I also like the minor stuff he's been doing like signing solid college FA's, getting assets back for Schultz and Purcell, creating competition in camp for the goalies ultimately leading to Scrivens being ousted but then still traded for a decent asset in Kassian. Liked him taking flyers on Pardy, Cracknell and Clendening too. Really there's not much to complain about outside of the Reinhart trade. I think another thing that should be added as a big positive or in the IN column for Chia is drafting Bear, Jones and Paigin. If you draft like that every year you're bound to find a couple of late round steals.

I'm not real keen on it. Considering the timing of them as well. Hey, take flyers on some players coming into camp. See what you got, improve competition for spots etc. Really all Chia did with these players is pluck deadwood off the ground. None of these are worth anything and are immediately disposable. The only thing disguising that is how bad this team, and its D corps, has been. Essentially on D we're still getting the leagues castoffs and players considered asking more than they're worth.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I would not gave Chia any rating............what he has done so far?..........any GM could have done what he has done.........remember what he said.....he needed a year to fully evaluate the roster.

The year is up......and now we can see what he will do with the draft coming next week and the free agency period on July1st.

Agreed, have yet to see him really put his mark on the team, every trade/signing he has made Mact could have done, especially the Reinhart deal, that screams a Mact deal. This summer really is his time, much like Mact did back when he came out and said he's confident he will be able to address our d problems this offseason. Now just wait and see what he does.

So for now I'll give him a C+

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
This. People should note that every pro team in sports makes apparent slight improvements in attained personnel every season. What only gets revealed at a later point in time is whether the acquistions result in significant improvement and offset losses, degradation through age, injury, regression of present roster, etc.

As noted the improvements were minimal. Outside of Talbot, Maroon, Kass, Sekera (I don't even like the player) most of the list is less useful than dry stacked firewood. The absolute majority of the list is fill or dubious prospect.

People shouldn't confuse quantity with quality. I'll even add that airlifting players in is even disruptive and exacerbates development time, coaching etc.

I guess if you ignore the good moves, then the whole body of work does look worse. Whoulda thunk it? :shakehead

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I'm not real keen on it. Considering the timing of them as well. Hey, take flyers on some players coming into camp. See what you got, improve competition for spots etc. Really all Chia did with these players is pluck deadwood off the ground. None of these are worth anything and are immediately disposable. The only thing disguising that is how bad this team, and its D corps, has been. Essentially on D we're still getting the leagues castoffs and players considered asking more than they're worth.

I don't understand how making no-risk moves to fill out a roster that had been pretty hammered with injuries is a negative thing for a GM.

Nit-picking at it's finest.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
D. I like what he did to try to change the results. Unfortunately the results are still the same. Team is garbage. Something even more significant has to be done to break up this country club.

As sacrilege as it might be to say... the Oilers should go full out defensive. It's the way hockey is turning. Anyone who watched the SCF saw suffocating defense wins the day, not high powered offense.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
D. I like what he did to try to change the results. Unfortunately the results are still the same. Team is garbage. Something even more significant has to be done to break up this country club.

As sacrilege as it might be to say... the Oilers should go full out defensive. It's the way hockey is turning. Anyone who watched the SCF saw suffocating defense wins the day, not high powered offense.

Yes we should strive for a ultra elite defensive group like Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin, Olli Maatta, Ben Lovejoy, Ian Cole and Justin Schultz. :shakehead

If you watched the playoffs and thought the Penguins won on suffocating defense, you may have been watching a different playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes we should strive for a ultra elite defensive group like Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin, Olli Maatta, Ben Lovejoy, Ian Cole and Justin Schultz. :shakehead

If you watched the playoffs and thought the Penguins won on suffocating defense, you may have been watching a different playoffs.

They completely neutralized the Sharks offense. You don't have to have a HOF d-core but the Pens proved you can win with something serviceable. Think of the teams they beat. The Rangers were nothing special but they shut down the Caps and Lightning.

For all the supposed firepower the Oilers have they finished like 26th in GF.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I give him an incomplete. I can't really give grades to the bigger moves of Sekera, Talbot, Maroon and Reinhart until I see a bigger sample size. Once upon a time, Perron, Fayne and Scrivens were looked at as great moves.

What I do like is that he identified needs and got the best available player to fill those needs. Sekera best UFA D, Talbot best goalie available. Whether or not they pay off in the long run is still in question but at least he was able to land his targets.
I like the buy low moves of Maroon and Kassian to upgrade the toughness which started to give this team an identity towards the end of the season, liked Cracknell too and hope they bring him back. Then again, Maroon and Kassian could just as easily fizzle out next season.
I really liked him pushing hard for Caggiula. IT shows that he's not size obssessed and realizes that they will need cheap forwards like this to slot into the bottom 6 eventually instead of overpaying for free agents.

What I don't like is that he seems to really trust MacT, has him riding shotgun on every scouting trip seemingly. I figured that MacT would be turfed this offseason but now I'm not sure anymore. I'd rather Chia bring in his own guys and I hope he's keeping MacT on because he wants to and not because Nicholson is pushing him to keep MacT on board.
Also, he needed to get a proven Dman for those draft picks especially when top 10 talents like Barzal and Connor magically dropped into his lap. Instead he got a project Dman who might or might not be a part of the solution going forward. Too early to judge Reinhart but it's obvious that he wasn't NHL ready going into last season. Real missed opportunity IMO.

I always figured that this would be the offseason where he makes a bigger splash now that he's familiar with the roster and truly knows who should be a part of the long term solution and who should not so lets hope he has it in him to make the tough decisions that his predecessors couldn't. This will be the offseason that marks his Oiler legacy good or bad.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Bad trades - Reinhart, Korpo, and to an extent Gryba.

He gets a C+ for at least improving goaltending and picking up some grit.

That's disingenuous. He Found a Starting Goaltender for this team, and it cost 2nd round picks. He also got a player that contributed for Scrivens.

For those things he deserves a B+, he's had some ups and downs, but he's done a solid job thus far.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Reinhart trade and then trading Marincin after was baffling. Adding Korpse was a bad move.

Everything else I'm fine with.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
They completely neutralized the Sharks offense.

And they did it with lots of speed up front, an active, mobile D corps and an emphasis on puck possession. Hardly the '95 Devils here.

You don't have to have a HOF d-core but the Pens proved you can win with something serviceable. Think of the teams they beat. The Rangers were nothing special but they shut down the Caps and Lightning.

Exactly, so why do you think the Oilers, who are well set up to play a similar style, need to be completely overhauled?

For all the supposed firepower the Oilers have they finished like 26th in GF

And the Penguins finished third but I guess that's not a high-powered offense in your book?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
C at best.

He's had his mulligan year, though as a vet GM he didn't deserve a mulligan. He better make a lot of moves this year and the team had better be substantially better than last year results wise.

He had better be smart enough to learn not to listen to even one thing the clown brothers tell him after last year. If he does listen to them then he will get just as awful results as they got.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'd rather judge him on his work in the next month.

Kudos for scoring a legit starting goalie in Talbot, a top-4 d-man in Sekera, and maybe a top-6 LW in Maroon. Other than that, it was garbage in, garbage out, with an unwillingness to move assets to fill holes, which only becomes a serious negative if it carries on into next season, I guess.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And they did it with lots of speed up front, an active, mobile D corps and an emphasis on puck possession. Hardly the '95 Devils here.

Exactly, so why do you think the Oilers, who are well set up to play a similar style, need to be completely overhauled?

And the Penguins finished third but I guess that's not a high-powered offense in your book?

They also completely trapped the Sharks. The third period of Game 6 was a super trapfest. In fact anytime the Pens got the lead they completely trapped the Sharks. If not for Murray and Jones that series would've been a sweep.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd rather judge him on his work in the next month.

Kudos for scoring a legit starting goalie in Talbot, a top-4 d-man in Sekera, and maybe a top-6 LW in Maroon. Other than that, it was garbage in, garbage out, with an unwillingness to move assets to fill holes, which only becomes a serious negative if it carries on into next season, I guess.

You see move, I see give away in desperation to fill holes.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'll give him a B+. I am somewhat accepting of the Reinhart trade. It's just too much of a coincidence if Chia was actually targeting all in his own a player that our management and scouting have been in love with for years. That was Chia throwing the old gang a bone and I think it was a valuable learning for him of the situation he entered into. Even if Reinhart doesn't pan out, the lesson learned is still worth something.

Aside from that, he did a decent job of starting to create his vision for how the team should become harder to play against. This summer is obviously huge and where Chia's abilities will truly be tested for the first time as the Oilers GM.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Chia's real body of work was keeping 20M worth of garbage out of EDM : Scrivens, Schultz, Nikitin, Ference, Purcell .. He even had the balls to waive Fayne.

Sorry but those are not achievements. If he'd managed to get anything for them then maybe. Scrivens contract would be done now anyways and Kassian was available on waivers so all he did was save a little money for Katz in that move. Schultz was going to be gone this summer unless we were stupid enough to give him a qualifying offer. Nikitin is still with the org and he was up a few times, Ference is still here and so is Fayne.

The Maroon deal was his only clear win, where he got something useful for not much. Talbot was a good trade but it was a pretty journeyman move. Every year a few teams have goalies they need to move, he paid the going price and he got one. It's a good move, he showed he's better than Tambellini and I'll give him some credit for it but really it's not that different than what MacT did when he got Scrivens. This summer is where he shows what he's capable of. If he's really a better GM then I want to see something done with our defence. I dont care if he doesnt make one move up front as long as our defence is improved. If we settle for another minor improvement like signing Demers as a free agent and hope for improvement from our guys then I dont see how anyone can rate him better than a middle of the road C.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They also completely trapped the Sharks. The third period of Game 6 was a super trapfest. In fact anytime the Pens got the lead they completely trapped the Sharks. If not for Murray and Jones that series would've been a sweep.

In fairness, you think every game in the NHL the last 5 years is a trapfest and that's it's a miserable league.

Seriously though, the Pens played far from trap hockey. They played a fast aggressive puck possession style and swarmed the heck out of the Sharks, didn't give them a chance to get in on the forecheck and assert their physicality. There was no neutral zone trap whatsoever, they just blocked a lot of shots is all which if we're to be honest, has been happening a lot during the last 2 decades of playoff hockey.

WhyteAveJesus

Aug 24, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I think it could be worth noting that Griffin Reinhart coming to Edmonton was probably influenced by Bob Green who worked closely with Reinhart in the Oil Kings. I wouldn't blame Chia for that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad