Pete Chiarelli body of work (Edmonton only)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Saw this on another team's board, looked like fun.

IN:

Andrej Sekera
Mark Letestu
Drake Caggiula
Patrick Russell
Nick Ellis
Adam Pardy
Adam Cracknell
Adam Clendening
Griffin Reinhart
Cam Talbot
Eric Gryba
Brad Ross
Lauri Korpikoski
Anders Nilsson (also OUT)
Zack Kassian
Niklas Lundstrom
Patrick Maroon
2015 4th (Toronto)
2015 7th (Rangers)
2016 3rd (Florida)
2016 3rd (Pittsburgh)
2016 5th (St. Louis)
2017 5th (Vancouver)

OUT:

2015 1st
2015 2nd
2015 2nd
2015 3rd
2015 4th
2015 7th
2016 4th
Martin Marincin
Liam Coughlin
Philip Larsen
Travis Ewanyk
Martin Gernat
Anders Nilsson
Ben Scrivens
Boyd Gordon
Teddy Purcell
Justin Schultz

What letter grade would you give this body of work to date? I'm thinking a B. Only real big black mark is the Reinhart trade, and that could still come around to be OK.

Tweaked to add UFA and college signings.

God damn he had a busy year.

Last edited:

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I'll give a C+. Some of the promising pieces (Kassian and Maroon) we'll need to see more of first. He's jettisoned some dead weight too in Schultz, Scrivens and Purcell.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Notable INs: Maroon, Talbot, Kassian
Notable OUT: 16th overall 2015

I say Chia deserves atleast a B+

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
You missed a few:

IN

Andrej Sekera
Drake Caggiula ELC
Patrick Russel ELC

Out

Martin Marincin

and of course the late season pickups of Pardy(UFA), Clendenning(RFA), and Cracknell(RFA)

I would say a B so far as well if we are just talking transactions.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Solid B+

You guys are missing Sekera, Letestu etc

Reinhart will prove to be a solid addition yet. Sekera and Talbot are just what we needed. Our D is weak, but imagine how much more building we would need with out Sekera.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Judging solely by moves that WERE made, it's hard to give Chiarelli less than
B+:
- Reinhart trade was bad, but could still work out.
- Korpikoski pick up wasn't great, but he doesn't really hamstring the team in any way
- Talbot and Maroon deals were steals.
- Got assets back for dead weight like
Scrivens and Purcell.
- Kassian could prove to be a better pick up with a full preseason.
- signed the top FA defenceman in last year's crop

That being said, the team finished 2nd last overall, so he still gets a D.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You missed a few:

IN

Andrej Sekera
Drake Caggiula ELC
Patrick Russel ELC

Out

Martin Marincin

and of course the late season pickups of Pardy(UFA), Clendenning(RFA), and Cracknell(RFA)

I would say a B so far as well if we are just talking transactions.

I was only counting trades. I have tweaked the OP.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was only counting trades.

...and here is where we but head again...

When looking at what a GM does you need to look at the free agents that he both signs and loses.

There is a reason why Vancouver fans want to lynch Benning--trading neither of their soon to be UFAs in Hamuis and Vrbata has got them riled--because both could walk for nothing.

You need to look at all asset management when looking at the body of work(if you do not look at all--it really isnt a body of work--some would view it as a narrow view of it)

We added guys for free and moved out guys we did not want. Will be interesting to see which AHL guys do not q'd this summer

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Chia's real body of work was keeping 20M worth of garbage out of EDM : Scrivens, Schultz, Nikitin, Ference, Purcell .. He even had the balls to waive Fayne.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
B. It would be higher but that Reinhart trade is the only thing holding him back IMO. I love the additions of Talbot, Sekera and Maroon. Caggiula seems like a solid signing and I'm a fan of the Kassian deal. However, that Reinhart trade just looks awful. Would rather have Barzal in our system, at the very least he could be used as trade chip with value compared to Reinhart. Although things could turn around, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Reinhart picked up his play towards the end of the season but overall, he has been garbage.

Now that he has had a full year to assess this team and see what he has, I think the real test for him begins now. The first year he had to deal with the garbage Mact and Lowe left for him to clean up. Curious to see how he does now, I believe in him though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
...and here is where we but head again...

When looking at what a GM does you need to look at the free agents that he both signs and loses.

There is a reason why Vancouver fans want to lynch Benning--trading neither of their soon to be UFAs in Hamuis and Vrbata has got them riled--because both could walk for nothing.

You need to look at all asset management when looking at the body of work(if you do not look at all--it really isnt a body of work--some would view it as a narrow view of it)

We added guys for free and moved out guys we did not want. Will be interesting to see which AHL guys do not q'd this summer

I agree, but most of the criticisms of Chiarelli seem to be centred around his trades and his drafting, which is why I initially only focused on his trades as GM. Now the signings are factored in as well.

Canuck fans want to lynch Benning because he has lost every trade he's made as their GM so far.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
B. It would be higher but that Reinhart trade is the only thing holding him back IMO. I love the additions of Talbot, Sekera and Maroon. Caggiula seems like a solid signing and I'm a fan of the Kassian deal. However, that Reinhart trade just looks awful. Would rather have Barzal in our system, at the very least he could be used as trade chip with value compared to Reinhart. Although things could turn around, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Reinhart picked up his play towards the end of the season but overall, he has been garbage.

You mean Svechnikov.. Barzal was never going to be an Oiler. If not Svechnikov it would have been Jeremy Roy or Samsonov from all the media rumblings around that time.

No one is thrilled with the GR deal but lets put away hindsight goggles.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I would not...............???

I would not gave Chia any rating............what he has done so far?..........any GM could have done what he has done.........remember what he said.....he needed a year to fully evaluate the roster.

The year is up......and now we can see what he will do with the draft coming next week and the free agency period on July1st.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I would not gave Chia any rating............what he has done so far?..........any GM could have done what he has done.........remember what he said.....he needed a year to fully evaluate the roster.

The year is up......and now we can see what he will do with the draft coming next week and the free agency period on July1st.

He turned Scrivens into Kassian
Gernat into Maroon
2nd round picks into a starting goalie

Showed that your paycheque is not going to determine your icetime but your performance will.. (Nikitin\Fayne\Ference)

Showed that just because he traded for you doesnt mean you get special treatment.. (Reinhart)

Showed that he isnt just going to throw money and term at you just because you are decent. (Talbot\Kassian)

Yeh I would easily give him a B+

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Should be mentioned he outed a lot of the garbage scouts as well. Would of given him better kudos if he axed Mactavish as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I agree, but most of the criticisms of Chiarelli seem to be centred around his trades and his drafting, which is why I initially only focused on his trades as GM. Now the signings are factored in as well.

Canuck fans want to lynch Benning because he has lost every trade he's made as their GM so far.

their breaking point came when he did not trade either Hamuis or Vrbata and Dallas said they called for Hamuis but got no response

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
The Reinhart trade was brutal. His other trades have looked good, but people need to cool their expectations of Maroon. He looked great at the end of the year, but let's not get carried away. He's not a top 6 guy

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
He turned Scrivens into Kassian
Gernat into Maroon
2nd round picks into a starting goalie

Showed that your paycheque is not going to determine your icetime but your performance will.. (Nikitin\Fayne\Ference)

Showed that just because he traded for you doesnt mean you get special treatment.. (Reinhart)

Showed that he isnt just going to throw money and term at you just because you are decent. (Talbot\Kassian)

Yeh I would easily give him a B+

And where did the Oilers' end up?........Out of the playoffs...3rd last in the league.

You have your favorites.........that's fine.........you have your opinion.....that's fine.......but don't gave me this crap that Chia did a B+ job.........like I said before he has not done anything to warrant a B+...........when Chia makes a major trade
and turns the team around.........then I would agree......but for now.........no rating.

PS.......I have nothing against Chia........I hope he succeeds.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
C-

Seemed to get a good goalie in Talbot. I liked the Sekera add. Maroon was a gem. But the team needed two top 4 d-men last summer. He only managed to get one. Season was subsequently lost before it got started and we're in the exact same spot needing two top 4 d-men or else next season will be a waste again.

Oct 15, 2008
C-

Seemed to get a good goalie in Talbot. I liked the Sekera add. Maroon was a gem. But the team needed two top 4 d-men last summer. He only managed to get one. Season was subsequently lost before it got started and we're in the exact same spot needing two top 4 d-men or else next season will be a waste again.

I guess he is supposed to gut the team without seeing them play a single game to get your two top 4dmen? That's being pretty unreasonable. Let's see what he does this summer.

Although the lingering presence of Crapt and KBlowe is more than a little dysfunctional. I don't think the team is truly successful until Katz sells the team. The guy is a complete assclown of an owner. Worst thing to ever happen to the team. Didn't look like it at the time but it sure does now.

Oct 15, 2008
The Reinhart trade was brutal. His other trades have looked good, but people need to cool their expectations of Maroon. He looked great at the end of the year, but let's not get carried away. He's not a top 6 guy

You young kids wouldn't know a brutal trade if it sat on your face.

Let's see, brutal Oiler trades, I'll take Gretzky for 1000 Alex. Or how about Pronger for 200? Ya losing that mid first and high second really smarts. We would've made the playoffs fer sure!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
their breaking point came when he did not trade either Hamuis or Vrbata and Dallas said they called for Hamuis but got no response

honestly i was ok with what benning did. mind you i dont think he thought about it as deeply as i do

you have 18 or 16 games left...your team is already looking like a minor league squad.
you got 2 good dmen and a bunch of fn rookies, including rookies in your forwards. greener than green lineup

the guy loves vancouver (smyth)

you dont mind if the guy comes back. you arent pushing the guy out (hemsky-horcoff)

you lose him...you hurt your ability to judge players, maybe hurt the development potential of the last games, possibly destroy some guys minds because they think next year they will be in quicksand

then look at your trade partner...your guy can get them past other teams

your guy will make them a much better team.

your guy makes them solid

Your first round DP pick offered from them gets less valued the more they win.

they scoff at your asking price. they keep trying to undercut you and you have no need in the world to give a discount. it doesnt cost you millions in playoff gates and tv rev. it doesnt cost you the legacy.

i can see hanging on to him. they would have went further had they gotten him

i was ok with benning there. mind you i dont think he looked at it that way. if he had he would just say it in the presser. its over his head

ALSO i dont believe in tanking intentionally. I believe in pride. I believe in never ******** on yourself. which is what oilers did and now toronto did and buffalo. That doesnt mean i dont ever trade hammy. but if i can get what i think fits the value than yes i trade him. you want the guy who completes your team? i want my choice of prospect, and your 1st. MY CHOICe period...and hes going to be great. because that is the development i rsik...thats the negative culture risk i take trading him....thats how much worse trading him makes me and how much better acquiring him makes you. you are a cup favorite with him.

Also Hammy stated he told them he didnt want a trade. but he was nice and gave them a couple options.

Its a different way of looking at things other than players just as assets. Hammy is more than just an asset in VAN.
think of Ryan Smyth having a great relationship, in his prime, loves the city, doesnt want traded...final year of contract...

remember that? That honestly just came to me. but there you go/. I was using Smyth as an example without even realizing he is a perfect one.
what a perfect way to end this long opinion with some punch

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
And where did the Oilers' end up?........Out of the playoffs...3rd last in the league.

You have your favorites.........that's fine.........you have your opinion.....that's fine.......but don't gave me this crap that Chia did a B+ job.........like I said before he has not done anything to warrant a B+...........when Chia makes a major trade
and turns the team around.........then I would agree......but for now.........no rating.

PS.......I have nothing against Chia........I hope he succeeds.

I'd agree with that. We have to remember that most of the stuff he's done to date is to try and clean up the mess left behind by the old boys club. He hasn't really been able to do anything because of it. And because this past season was a "let's see what we have first" type of things it's hard to give a rating. It's this off season and beyond where were really going to see what he can do. :popcorn:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

id like to see a 3 line attack style like pitts but we have a big body on each line. a crasher...then a 4th line with hendriks kassian etc. im pumped if we can do that,. all maroon has to do is get chemistry win the battles and dont trip over himself.

he is doing fine so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad