Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducksgo*

Well, they could have. Also, what would have the Parise-return given him? If the Kovalchuk return is any indication, it's that there's no home-runs to be expected in those rental deals.

I'm not directly opposed against either version. But ultimately, it will come down to what's on the table. A rental is worth as much as teams are willing to pay for. The Ducks, standing in the league where they stand, are one of those exact teams, to which a rental has that very value. At this point, I am not that sure that other teams will value that rental's services that much higher than the Ducks will, to make it worth trading him. We'll know soon.

Key word "could have" they didn't.... And are left with a huge
Hole in their scoring department regardless of the 7th position in the league.

That's not us and that's not our ducks. Trade Perry and move on with our lives in Anaheim.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Key word "could have" they didn't.... And are left with a huge
Hole in their scoring department regardless of the 7th position in the league.
Well, nothing they would have received for him would have played a big role in offsetting that hole in the scoring department, as we're told by the historic returns for players in that situation.

We'll see what we do. I think I explained the important considerations in the second paragraph of that post. There's value in Perry. To many other teams trading for him, and to us in our current situation. What happens will tell us all we need to know.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I said it before and I'll say it again. A playoff run is much more important than the meager assets Perry would return. I'm all for selling heavily. I've advocated for it before. But only when the team is not going to make the playoffs.

If you keep Perry, yes you lose the 1st + B prospect that you would get in return. But you also get a) a playoff run and possible championship b) increased chance of being able to keep Perry.

It's not black and white. Decisions can't always be made on demand. Maybe Perry really has decided to move on. Or he may be undecided. Or he may want to test the market but be willing to come back. If you sell him, he's gone for sure. If you keep him around for a run, then returning might look like a better option.

If you want to sell Perry, then don't half-ass it. Concede the playoffs. Koivu, Steckel, Lydman must all also go. Souray too IMO, but that will be less popular. You'll also be run out of the GM job.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I've been on the fence about trading Perry if he remains unsigned. I'm starting to lean towards keeping him for a Cup run. But, if he has made it know that he wants to move closer to home, and we have no chance at all of signing him, I start sweating profusely and think we should listen real hard to what may be offered.

Perry certainly should bring at the high end of what a rental would bring. But maybe a lesser roster player (who could still help a Cup run) plus a first might be a nice compromise. BB has certainly gotten the most out of everybody in making this a team effort. Maybe we still have a great shot with a Perry replacement and the continued career years of some of the other guys. Maybe Fowler starts scoring and the other young guys keep impressing. Maybe???

Oct 18, 2011
It's always possible a deep playoff run can sway Perry to stay, you don't get many chances in sports to win a championship most of the time. I'd hate to see us throw a shot away we have two holes on this roster to some degree, 2nd line center and IMO a top 4 D. If we got a 2nd line center I think we would have enough fire power to have a chance at winning the west and with our goaltending, I think we can win with the current D core though i'd feel better with another established guy

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I said it before and I'll say it again. A playoff run is much more important than the meager assets Perry would return. I'm all for selling heavily. I've advocated for it before. But only when the team is not going to make the playoffs.

If you keep Perry, yes you lose the 1st + B prospect that you would get in return. But you also get a) a playoff run and possible championship b) increased chance of being able to keep Perry.

It's not black and white. Decisions can't always be made on demand. Maybe Perry really has decided to move on. Or he may be undecided. Or he may want to test the market but be willing to come back. If you sell him, he's gone for sure. If you keep him around for a run, then returning might look like a better option.

If you want to sell Perry, then don't half-ass it. Concede the playoffs. Koivu, Steckel, Lydman must all also go. Souray too IMO, but that will be less popular. You'll also be run out of the GM job.

100% agree with this. You build teams to have a chance at the Cup, not to slip into the playoffs every year. This team has a legitimate shot to win right now. You don't pass up on that by trading Perry. If he walks, he walks. It's worth it to give it a run.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Bob definitely hates losing assets for nothing (no GM is ok with it, but he seems to always make sure he gets at least something for them), however this is really tricky.

What would I do or what do I want bob to do? There's not a right answer. If he made it known he wasn't re-signing with us, I only move him if it brings another top six forward who's young that could help fill his void now. I don't move perry for a 1st and B prospect. Hell that's what we'd have to move to get a good rental. Perry is as good as it gets for a rental. Doubt team is able to land a young top six forward though, so I personally would probably keep him.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Keep Perry no matter what IMO. With Perry we have the potential to go deep in the playoffs, without him, we have little chance barring a ridiculous overpayment for a pending UFA

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Keeping Perry is indeed the right thing to do. Better than losing him for some BS assets (which will likely happen). Not only does he give us better chance at creating some noise in PO, but we also retain leverage of 1 extra year on the contract. Getzlaf's contract over 7 years would be roughly 9.43m/y cap, which is significantly more than 8.25m/y.

If he wants more than Getzlaf over 8 years, nice knowing you Perry...

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Perry can bring a star back from another club, provided he indicates he might be willing to resign with said club, and that would be a return with some contract left after this summer. The only way he should be moved is for another high end talent in return and if he is determined to test the waters, then a 1st and a prospect aren't worth trading a Cup run for. The Bruins won a Cup after trading a young Joe Thornton for magic beans. This is a stronger club than the Jersey team of last year. They have to assume they have as good a shot as anyone, and futures doesn't get you there.

Oct 18, 2011
We have no shot at beating the kings or hawks without Perry, unless a team so massively overpaid we could improve at center, while not losing much @ the wing.

RPG is good enough to win a playoff series by themselves, provided we get good goaltending. I just don't think we can get enough back to justify trading him

Nikko*

If we don't trade him then we should join the Iginla sweepstakes and prepare to trade away assets. If we are gonna lose Perry for nothing for a cup run, might as well gear up completely.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
If we don't trade him then we should join the Iginla sweepstakes and prepare to trade away assets. If we are gonna lose Perry for nothing for a cup run, might as well gear up completely.
100% agree

Leizi

Jan 13, 2011
Finland
Seriously, don't let Perry go. I would much rather lose Ryan instead of Perry, the guy with Hart trophy, Rocket Richard, junior gold, WC gold, Olympic gold, Stanley cup. Pay the man whatever he wants.

Adam Banks

May 16, 2011
Orange County, CA
Seriously, don't let Perry go. I would much rather lose Ryan instead of Perry, the guy with Hart trophy, Rocket Richard, junior gold, WC gold, Olympic gold, Stanley cup. Pay the man whatever he wants.

I would offer him the same contract that Getzlaf got, if he insisted on more than that, then I'd tell him good luck. We likely wouldn't be able to ice a very competitive team if we gave him more, and we can't sacrifice the competitiveness of the team just to hold onto him.

Ducksgo*

We CAN'T pay him what ever he wants due to us being a small market and with a internal budget that our owners are willing to spend. We can't have 17-18 million locked into two players and still keep our team competitive.

Ducksgo*

I would offer him the same contract that Getzlaf got, if he insisted on more than that, then I'd tell him good luck. We likely wouldn't be able to ice a very competitive team if we gave him more, and we can't sacrifice the competitiveness of the team just to hold onto him.

Exactly anything more i really don't see us able to spend.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i think the money has been set by the getz signing...basically the ducks said we are willing to give you the max amount at whatever price (same as getz)....if he is after the money he could get more (most likely) via FA...so he either wants more money or there is another reason (family?) for him not signing with us, but IMO ducks have already offered the max they can offer him, i doubt he is coming back considering he hasnt signed yet but i have no idea....just my feeling on whats going on

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
i think the money has been set by the getz signing...basically the ducks said we are willing to give you the max amount at whatever price (same as getz)....if he is after the money he could get more (most likely) via FA...so he either wants more money or there is another reason (family?) for him not signing with us, but IMO ducks have already offered the max they can offer him, i doubt he is coming back considering he hasnt signed yet but i have no idea....just my feeling on whats going on

I'm not convinced BM has made his best offer, but it's probably close. Do you think Getzlaf's $8.25 was on the table from the beginning? I'm betting it only finally came together a couple of days before we heard about the signing. It's a tough poker game the GMs have to play. But unless Perry has already told Bob he's moving closer to home I expect Bob to lay all his cards on the table right about now. Even if Bob wants to keep him for a playoff run he has to have time to shop him to see just what he could get. It's his job.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Let Perry have his time. It's not like he's following Schultz' form. But if mgmt was willing to dish out over $8 mil to Getz, then I can see them offer the same to Perry. By signing cornerstones, you ensure not to have a terrible drop off in talent. There's too many ducklings and not enough Ducks that can fly.

BTW, I keep Perry; not trade him. I want a cup. He wants a cup. Afterwards, we can talk. Recall, we're the only team that can give him an 8 year contract, one more than anyone else. So we're still in position to make a trade because no other team can offer that extra year in security. We're in the money either way. Because if he doesn't sign and we get no prospects, then at least we can save that $8 mil to utilize elsewhere or not utilize to save our small market team money.

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria

Get used to the idea that we will lose Perry now and Ryan 2 years from now at latest.

I think it is pretty much a given Perry wants to hit UFA. I doubt the Ducks have not offered enough at this point to sign him. IMO he has an idea where he wants to go, which means do we want to lose him for nothing?

I say trade him. I don't see the Ducks as a real playoff threat anyway, as Chicago or LA have way better chances of winning in the West than we do and don't forget that in the East we have Pittsburgh or Boston who would both be favourites. I know anything can happen in the playoffs but the Ducks are just too bad in their own D zone to be considered legit contenders. I don't want to make the 2nd round in the playoffs or the 3rd only to lose and then lose Perry for nothing. This sets the franchise back years.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, I mean, having to play good teams in the playoffs?! Who would of thought! :sarcasm:

Blow it up fellas, no point in making the playoffs

We don't have the 'sexy' team on paper, but results don't lie. I don't see us as the best team in the league, but there is no reason with our current set up we can't make a good run in the playoffs. Specially if we stay relatively healthy. We've lost what, 3 games in regulation. Three.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

That's the thing, Murph isn't going to pull the trigger unless it's significant assets that he's getting back. The ONLY way this trade works is if one of the pieces is a roster player that can contribute at least some of Perry's production. That might be a tall order but he has to explore those options because I don't believe Perry is going to sign with us. He would have done it by now.

But if Murph simply wants SOMETHING for Perry than I can see him moving his rights at the draft for a couple of picks. But if he has the opportunity to improve this team long-term and can find a decent replacement for him in the top-6 I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad