Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
“They’re coming in the next couple of weeks,†Murray said. “And we’ll do everything in our power to sign them. That’s obviously my biggest priority. This isn’t rocket science. I’m going to try everything I can to get them signed.â€

Perry, who became the franchise’s only Hart winner in 2011 with a 50-goal, 98-point season, said he’s “just going out and playing hockey.â€
“There’s no time frame,†Perry continued. â€Whatever happens, happens. I’m not going to be thinking about it. It’s not going to be on the front of my mind. I have a job here to do first. And that’s to go out and play hockey and help this team win.â€

Getzlaf, who makes his off-season home in south Orange County and recently became a father for the second time, was a little more effusive on the subject as he said he’s had several conversations with Murray over the team’s direction.
“Obviously I don’t have a time frame on it but we’d like to get something done if we can,†said the Ducks’ captain, who slumped to 11 goals and 57 points last season. “If both parties are wanting to do that, then it’ll get done.

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2013/01/13/ducks-gm-signing-getzlaf-perry-my-priority/114455/

Sounds like Getzlaf is probably going to sign, the comments from Perry however are a little troublesome....hopefully they get done ASAP

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Not worried about these guys yet. Perry has always been a little weird around the media.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
It's worth noting Perry is represented by Don Meehan's Newport Sports Management. Meehan also represents Bobby Ryan and negotiated his current deal, all Duck fans remember that was a painful process. NSM also represents Justin Schultz, although he has a different agent, Arnott I think. I don't think Perry is going to be signing before the season, but negotiations will take place. I believe Murray says he doesn't like negotiating deals mid season but in the current situation he might have to. I think Perry's deal gets done, later though. Don't read much into his comments.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Murray has no choice. Mid-season or not, the negotiations need to start. If he waits until the season is over, I would put money on losing one or both of them.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Murray has no choice. Mid-season or not, the negotiations need to start. If he waits until the season is over, I would put money on losing one or both of them.

Yes when I said "negotiations will take place" I meant this week, should have clarified. But Meehan has the history of dragging these things on, and Murray will need to bend a lot to work with him.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
First, offer both the same contract. 7/50. Getzlaf will probably sign or be close to a deal after that. Second, if Murray gets the vibe that Perry wants just a little more to stay, then give him 7/55. Third, if Murray feels he is no where near a deal with Perry, then trade him, and bring back value. That's how the negotiations should go. Try to bring them back, but don't hang on too long

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
First, offer both the same contract. 7/50. Getzlaf will probably sign or be close to a deal after that. Second, if Murray gets the vibe that Perry wants just a little more to stay, then give him 7/55. Third, if Murray feels he is no where near a deal with Perry, then trade him, and bring back value. That's how the negotiations should go. Try to bring them back, but don't hang on too long

They'll get 8 year deals.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Agreed. The closer it gets to July 5th the more tempting it will be for them to test the market.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Luckily they both have won the Cup already so that is one factor for not looking into free agency... money could be a different story and having competitive teams in the future...so Samueli open your wallet.

Feb 9, 2010
Arrowhead Pond
I am not envious of Bob Murrays job for the next few months. Worst case scenario is no Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, Koivu on our roster next year. Might as well change colors and logos again as we'd be an entirely different team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bob needs to come out of the gate with 8 year offers for each. And I know the Ducks have not front loaded contracts before but I would be OK with the following for each:

Year 1 - $9M
Year 2 - $8M
Year 3 - $7M
Year 4 - $7M
Year 5 - $7M
Year 6 - $6M
Year 7 - $6M
Year 8 - $6M

Slightly front loaded but not terribly so and a full 8 years for an average cap hit of $7M. It may not be the best they would get in free agency but I think it is a very fair and respectable offer.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I can assure you if Burke was gm this wouldn't be happening.

You're right. It's obviously Murray's fault there was a lockout, and that negotiations couldn't begin until there was a new CBA. You make it sound like Murray had plenty of time to negotiate before now. News flash: He didn't.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Bob needs to come out of the gate with 8 year offers for each. And I know the Ducks have not front loaded contracts before but I would be OK with the following for each:

Year 1 - $9M
Year 2 - $8M
Year 3 - $7M
Year 4 - $7M
Year 5 - $7M
Year 6 - $6M
Year 7 - $6M
Year 8 - $6M

Slightly front loaded but not terribly so and a full 8 years for an average cap hit of $7M. It may not be the best they would get in free agency but I think it is a very fair and respectable offer.

perry and ryans contracts are front loaded arent they. i know perry's is for sure

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
perry and ryans contracts are front loaded arent they. i know perry's is for sure

Ryan's was steady, except for a cheaper first season at the beginning, so slightly backloadded. Perry's was... just weird. Cheap first year, cheap last year, 2nd most expensive, 3rd/4th equal between 2nd/5th. Slightly frontloaded over the duration, but not textbook.

Ducksgo*

You're right. It's obviously Murray's fault there was a lockout, and that negotiations couldn't begin until there was a new CBA. You make it sound like Murray had plenty of time to negotiate before now. News flash: He didn't.

Can we just sign all three long term? It feels like it was just yesterday that fans were on the edge of their seats regarding the twins and Ryan. Just make an 8 year deal and long term. The ducks are soooo boned if we lose Selanne to retirement and Koivu as well. And then see one of the twins walk. None of our prospects are ready for top line minutes and the Free Agent list the next few years are bad as well.

I'm ALL in for long term. This is rediculous.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Can we just sign all three long term? It feels like it was just yesterday that fans were on the edge of their seats regarding the twins and Ryan. Just make an 8 year deal and long term. The ducks are soooo boned if we lose Selanne to retirement and Koivu as well. And then see one of the twins walk. None of our prospects are ready for top line minutes and the Free Agent list the next few years are bad as well.

I'm ALL in for long term. This is rediculous.

Murray can't negotiate with Ryan until he's on the last year of his contract. It's at that point that they can start talking extension. As for Getzlaf and Perry, I'd be happy to see them signed long-term. Like Murray said, they're winners, and the chemistry they have together is undeniable. Unlike Fowler, who wasn't going to be looking at that type of contract, neither Perry or Getzlaf were going to be signed before the new CBA, because the changes to it were expected to benefit Anaheim. If the Ducks were a team like Philly or New York where money is no object, I expect things would have been different, since those longer term, bloated contracts are exactly what part of the CBA addresses.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Also, both parties have to want 8 year deals. If Perry and Getzlaf have subpar years compared to what they expect of themselves, they might look for shorter deals in order to try and bounce back ensure a bigger payday later on.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Im talking about being worried about losing our superstars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad