Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Here is a little tidbit from Elliotte Friedman's weekly "30 Thoughts" Column (if you don't read this each week, you should as it is excellent).

"Here's where it sounds like things stand on Corey Perry: I think the Ducks tested the market for him. But teams were not willing to give fair value for the 2011 Hart Trophy winner unless they knew Perry would commit to them beyond this season. I think that increased Anaheim's resolve to keep him. I am putting myself out there a bit, but it wouldn't come as a shock if he ends up staying."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...gms-feel-trade-deadline-too-inflationary.html

i guess its at least good that murray is trying to see whether he could get fair value.
I do agree that if we're only going to get scraps then lets keep Perry. and if we lose him for nothing, then so be it.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I can say with near certainty that the team will be worse this year without Perry. The team has great chemistry with him. You take him out, you risk disrupting that. As you point out, there is a slight chance that new guy will have great chemistry... but it's only a chance and it has to be weighed against the certain drop of losing Perry. The best you could hope for is the team will be as good this year, and the odds are against it.

But there's no certainty that the player that is brought in to replace him won't have chemistry. Yeah it's more of an if since we know how Perry works with this group right now. But we really can't say for sure what will or won't happen. Look at the moves Murph made in 09. At the deadline everyone thought he was conceding the season and dumping but it turned out to make the team better.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
But there's no certainty that the player that is brought in to replace him won't have chemistry. Yeah it's more of an if since we know how Perry works with this group right now. But we really can't say for sure what will or won't happen. Look at the moves Murph made in 09. At the deadline everyone thought he was conceding the season and dumping but it turned out to make the team better.
Well you're right that there is a chance. But the chance is small, and the guaranteed dropoff is great because we're losing a great player with great chemistry.

The odds are so small and the reward is so limited that it's basically certainty to me. It's about as certain as you can get talking about hypotheticals like this.

Basically I'd say that your point is right technically, but not practically. It's like if someone puts in a dollar into a slot machine that has slot machine odds but only will pay back a dollar max and I say "I'm almost certain he's going to lose money."

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that Perry won't want the security of an eighth season?

Nevermind in my head at the time I was only thinking that this would happen before July 1st while we had his rights. But hypothetically it could happen at anytime, so yeah youre right.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Congrats guys. You guys deserve it. :D perry and Getz should always be ducks

Agreed and congrats from another non-Ducks fan. Good luck in the playoffs. Now that you have this out of the way it should allow your team to completely focus on buying at the deadline.

JtotheLew

Dec 14, 2009
Seoul, South Korea
Before we close this thread I would just like to say a big **********. you to everyone on the TSN panel who said this wouldn't happen, along with every Leafs/Habs/etc fan that came here saying they were gonna get Perry.

Ban points may be awarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad