Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
I kind of believe we will either resign Perry or lose him to UFA, but we won't trade him, especially if the team keeps rolling. The return for a Perry rental will not be that good, since most of the buyers will be teams heading into the playoffs also. They won't want to give roster players and their picks won't be that valuable. Neither are most teams willing to give high level prospects for rentals.

And he'd be a fool not to use the 8th year to his advantage, especially if he likes it here. I'd like to imagine they've got a deal in place and are just going through the finer details right now.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Unless he gets hurt or really breaks down, a 35 year old Perry could still likely get $5M or more for that eighth year when it rolls around. Or maybe another multi year deal for more than he will be worth at that point in time. I don't think the 8 years vs 7 years is as big a deal as I wish it were.

He could, but that's not really the point. Perry is all but guaranteed to make more by staying in Anaheim. It's not like the Ducks don't have the option of re-signing him after those 8 years are up. If he leaves Anaheim he's leaving money on the table. I think we can safely assume that if he leaves the Ducks it is not because he is looking for more.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm going to play the part of Captain Obvious and state that if Perry remains unsigned there will be a serious split (on HF and elsewhere) between those that say keep him and those that say trade him. I see the merits of both sides and for now remain firmly on the fence. I'm glad I'm not BM.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He could, but that's not really the point. Perry is all but guaranteed to make more by staying in Anaheim. It's not like the Ducks don't have the option of re-signing him after those 8 years are up. If he leaves Anaheim he's leaving money on the table. I think we can safely assume that if he leaves the Ducks it is not because he is looking for more.

Not to mention, you really aren't going to see many guys pass up guaranteed money if they don't have to. Sure, he might sign for $5 million+ when his 7 year deals up, or he might be forced into early retirement. If that's the strategy, why not sign a 1 year deal with a team and then re-up for 8 more mid-season? Then you've essentially got a 9 year deal. Basically, it's not worth the risk.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'm going to play the part of Captain Obvious and state that if Perry remains unsigned there will be a serious split (on HF and elsewhere) between those that say keep him and those that say trade him. I see the merits of both sides and for now remain firmly on the fence. I'm glad I'm not BM.

I'm on the fence as well. A few weeks ago (hell even a week ago) when I wasn't sure if we could maintain our pace I was all for moving him. But I think this team is legitimate and it would be a shame to move our best winger when we're sitting where we are right now.

At least Murray has a few weeks to see if this team can keep it up. It will be a tough decision that's for sure.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I think he could leave for non monetary reasons. But I do think he could possibly get more money by leaving. Between the extra money he gets each of the first 7 years, and whatever he gets in the UFA 8th year I believe he could get more by leaving. Example being...Ducks offer him 8x8 and anybody else offers 9x7. Anything over $1M in the ufa 8th year puts him ahead. I don't think that example is too far fetched.

Then there is the fact that even the recluse Perry could probably make more endorsement money anywhere back east vs the nothing he makes here.

I think money could easily be a reason he leaves.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
I think he could leave for non monetary reasons. But I do think he could possibly get more money by leaving. Between the extra money he gets each of the first 7 years, and whatever he gets in the UFA 8th year I believe he could get more by leaving. Example being...Ducks offer him 8x8 and anybody else offers 9x7. Anything over $1M in the ufa 8th year puts him ahead. I don't think that example is too far fetched.

Then there is the fact that even the recluse Perry could probably make more endorsement money anywhere back east vs the nothing he makes here.

I think money could easily be a reason he leaves.

The money really is not big enough reason to leave, by itself.

If he goes, thats what he wants to do. Money is just a factor. Playing in a new market is an exciting idea. Seeking out fame and history and news coverage with another franchise seems to be an appeal. Hometown area etc.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The money really is not big enough reason to leave, by itself.

If he goes, thats what he wants to do. Money is just a factor. Playing in a new market is an exciting idea. Seeking out fame and history and news coverage with another franchise seems to be an appeal. Hometown area etc.

I would agree with that. But these days it happens a lot in all sports. Giving up a comfortable environment and a winning team for minimally more money, when you already have more than you will ever need, seems foolish. But then nobody ever said pro athletes were candidates for Mensa membership.

Nikko*

Based on what? Just your eyeball estimate of what he ought to be paid?

Perry should easily be able to get that amount as a UFA. You want Anaheim to lowball him? That's just not smart.

He's going to get a lot more than 7.5 a year. Might want to get used to not seeing him in a Ducks jersey.

That's all the money I think they should offer, and if he doesn't want it then trade him. We aren't the Canucks or Toronto that can push the cap limits. Do you three want our team to still be competitive in five years or do you want this to be the Kariya/Selanne show again? Perry is good but not irreplaceable.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
If he gets the same deal as Getz, 8.25 cap hit, maybe salary structured differently to balance it out a little better for the teams internal cap I'd welcome him back. The best situation though is a sign and trade, but I don't see that happening. If we were to trade Perry I want to trade for Kessel, that IMO is the best route. It provides us that top line spot for the playoffs and next year. Then with Koivu/Teemu situation we can decide how to use our prospects and such.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I believe I have the solution to the problem.

1 - sign Perry to whatever he wants. 9.5M? Fine. 8 years? Fine. NMC? Fine.
2 - hopefully do very well in the playoffs. It takes the sting out of step 3.
3 - trade him at the draft for a huge return. 29 other teams will bid. NMC won't be kicked in, and won't carry over to the new team unless they want it to so it's not going to lower his value.

It could be an issue the next time we have a Hart winning wing who doesn't want to sign for a reasonable contract, but that's a risk I think the team can take.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

3 - trade him at the draft for a huge return. 29 other teams will bid. NMC won't be kicked in, and won't carry over to the new team unless they want it to so it's not going to lower his value.

It could be an issue the next time we have a Hart winning wing who doesn't want to sign for a reasonable contract, but that's a risk I think the team can take.

Great way to piss off getzlaf and alienate the rest of the team. Budget teams cant afford to pull lying stunts like that.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Great way to piss off getzlaf and alienate the rest of the team. Budget teams cant afford to pull lying stunts like that.

I'm guessing Getzlaf would understand its business. If Perry won't sign for a reasonable rate and won't play ball on a trade, it's probably better for the team than trading him now or losing him for nothing later. Some of Getzlaf's comments seem to indicate he's aware Perry is looking out for Perry at this point.

I'm not advocating it, but it is a valid way to maintain a competitive team.

DaDucks*

I give DVM a hard time and all but, woahhhh
I'm not touching this one

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like the concept but I can see it blowing up in our face with regards to attracting free agents/retaining our own UFAs in the future.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
While it does appear to be in poor taste from the PAs perspective it hasn't yet been a problem to the Flyers who have practiced it more than once already. Of course it would only work if money is the sole reason for him wanting to leave. If he wants to pick his destination then of course he isn't signing at any price.

DaDucks*

I like the concept but I can see it blowing up in our face with regards to attracting free agents/retaining our own UFAs in the future.

Hmmm trick correy perry and the rest of the team and fans into thinking perry is here to stay...

2013 season ends:
"Surprise perry your going to Toronto"

1 week later

"What's that? Bobby wants out?"

Last edited by a moderator:

getzforfighting*

i for one am on the keep perry and go with what we got scenario. We win a cup sure he may leave, but at least we got that cup. We dont win a cup he may want to stay after seeing how good we may have done.

DaDucks*

i for one am on the keep perry and go with what we got scenario. We win a cup sure he may leave, but at least we got that cup. We dont win a cup he may want to stay after seeing how good we may have done.

It's the only way go.. Your on the right side of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad