Perry and Getzlaf talks to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
I believe I have the solution to the problem.

1 - sign Perry to whatever he wants. 9.5M? Fine. 8 years? Fine. NMC? Fine.
2 - hopefully do very well in the playoffs. It takes the sting out of step 3.
3 - trade him at the draft for a huge return. 29 other teams will bid. NMC won't be kicked in, and won't carry over to the new team unless they want it to so it's not going to lower his value.

It could be an issue the next time we have a Hart winning wing who doesn't want to sign for a reasonable contract, but that's a risk I think the team can take.
They aren't going to sign Perry in good faith, only to trade him right after. why would you trade him when you still have his best years under contract? but i do not see the ducks paying him more than Getzlaf unless Getzy has told them to do whatever it takes

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
im wondering if Perry would like to play another year or 2 with ducks but not full 8 years. Gentlemen's agreement that he would be moved where he wants after year or two. Ducks get the extra year(s) and Perry gets his contract. He could also have 8x9+M contract with salary build on first years to fit ducks cap better (or is that even possible anymore?)

DaDucks*

im wondering if Perry would like to play another year or 2 with ducks but not full 8 years. Gentlemen's agreement that he would be moved where he wants after year or two. Ducks get the extra year(s) and Perry gets his contract. He could also have 8x9+M contract with salary build on first years to fit ducks cap better (or is that even possible anymore?)

Would be nice but wouldn't fly. Too risky for perry (injury wise) to take a couple years on a contract. He deserves a 8 bomber and that's what he'll get..

DaDucks*

well i meant he would be signed for 8 thus no risk

My bad... Well not a bad hypothetical in the land of hypotheticals..

Sign Him. If he's not happy with the teams progress, move him.

I keep picturing him in Detroit...

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I've decided to go out on a limb here. Perry will re-sign with the Ducks before the trade deadline.

The time off will allow him to realize just how much he loves it here. How much he loves playing with Mess II. How much he enjoys the weather and the anonymity. And how he will ultimately have enough money to do whatever he wants in life even without going ufa. No need to upset the apple cart. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Come on Corey, don't let me down, don't make me look like a fool. I can do that well enough on my own. :laugh:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
if we ain't signing. I really do think we have to trade him. Just looking at the devils and the predators last year losing parise and suter for nothing. That honestly hurts. We can't let them happen to us. I bet they wish they would've traded suter and parise last deadline now

Ducksgo*

if we ain't signing. I really do think we have to trade him. Just looking at the devils and the predators last year losing parise and suter for nothing. That honestly hurts. We can't let them happen to us. I bet they wish they would've traded suter and parise last deadline now

Exactly and NJ isn't doing that bad this season. Seventh in the league WITHOUT Parise. Imagine what they could have snagged for Parise at the deadline that would of helped them tremendously this season?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Exactly and NJ isn't doing that bad this season. Seventh in the league WITHOUT Parise. Imagine what they could have snagged for Parise at the deadline that would of helped them tremendously this season?

I can also imagine New Jersey not making the Cup Finals.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009

true. but what does that give you? they didn't win. they got a crappier draft pick for it. lost parise AND ponikarovsky who they had to waste a pick to get back.
nashville got booted out early and also has nothin to show for it.

our core is pretty good. if perry isn't gonna resign, we can get at least something fairly decent for. that'll prolong our window if/when that happens

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
true. but what does that give you? they didn't win. they got a crappier draft pick for it. lost parise AND ponikarovsky who they had to waste a pick to get back.
nashville got booted out early and also has nothin to show for it.

our core is pretty good. if perry isn't gonna resign, we can get at least something fairly decent for. that'll prolong our window if/when that happens

They had an opportunity to win. I'm not sure what the problem is. If New Jersey wins the Cup do you feel differently?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really do think bob will trade him if he's unsigned with the way he reacted over Shultz.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
true. but what does that give you? they didn't win.

Well, they could have. Also, what would have the Parise-return given him? If the Kovalchuk return is any indication, it's that there's no home-runs to be expected in those rental deals.

I'm not directly opposed against either version. But ultimately, it will come down to what's on the table. A rental is worth as much as teams are willing to pay for. The Ducks, standing in the league where they stand, are one of those exact teams, to which a rental has that very value. At this point, I am not that sure that other teams will value that rental's services that much higher than the Ducks will, to make it worth trading him. We'll know soon.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I really do think bob will trade him if he's unsigned with the way he reacted over Shultz.

I don't get that. I mean, the situation are entirely uncomparable. I don't think we've been given any false indication that Perry was sure or even had tendencies to re-sign. For that alone, I respect Perry, because at the time it's always easier to let the people hear what they want to hear (Suter, Parise, Kariya,...). The Schultz fiasco was a rightfully upsetting scenario. There's nothing in this situation worth being upset over - except for maybe the team being good enough to make this such a tough call. :) But I doubt he's really all that angry about that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't get that. I mean, the situation are entirely uncomparable. I don't think we've been given any false indication that Perry was sure or even had tendencies to re-sign. For that alone, I respect Perry, because at the time it's always easier to let the people hear what they want to hear (Suter, Parise, Kariya,...). The Schultz fiasco was a rightfully upsetting scenario. There's nothing in this situation worth being upset over - except for maybe the team being good enough to make this such a tough call. :) But I doubt he's really all that angry about that.

Losing a blue chip asset for nothing, not being betrayed. So yes, the situations are comparable.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Losing an asset for nothing, not being betrayed.

Ah, I see. Yeah, well, in that case, I refer to my post right before that. It's not nothing. Rentals have the value they have around the league not because teams are certain they'll be able to re-sign them, but because they're expected to make an impact for the remainder of the season plus a mere chance to get them re-signed. With the Ducks looking strong, they are very much in the same boat as those teams. Perry has that typical value of a rental to them. At that point, it's not so much about losing him for nothing, it's about the difference between how much the Ducks would themselves pay for such a rental and what they are offered, and whether then that difference is worth it, on its own. I think that will be the question it all boils down to.

Ducksgo*

Which is fine, they got man handled in the finals. They probably would of gotten a first and a roster player. Instead they made the poor decision of not having a bidding war over Parise. Who fricken knows what was offered for Parise come the deadline.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Instead they made the poor decision of not having a bidding war over Parise. Who fricken knows what was offered for Parise come the deadline.

How would you know that? They sure as hell are the first to know what was available for him at the deadline, and they don't need to start a bidding war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad