People have been trying to buy the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
His response seemed more of a response to the owner meddling in and forcing one of his best friends in the dressing room out than it does about Doughty.

A big part of it was his decision and who could blame him?

Really, he was responding to a question about what Drew Doughty said a couple a days before, when Doughty said he was going to talk with EK65 about their expiring contracts, and how they were going to coordinate their negotiations.

His answer was a direct response about what Doughty had said.

Making sense of Doughty and Karlsson's contract comments - Sportsnet.ca

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Really, he was responding to a question about what Drew Doughty said a couple a days before, when Doughty said he was going to talk with EK65 about their expiring contracts, and how they were going to coordinate their negotiations.

So now you're directly contradicting yourself. If they were going to co-ordindate, wouldn't that mean that they would then 'go to market' together? How could they possibly co-ordinate if Doughty signs a full year before Karlsson?

If they are co-ordinating, they are either BOTH signing with their home teams or BOTH going to market.

Just give up man.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

He answered the question with a bitter tone. He seemed pissed off. There was something else there than just responding to Doughty’s comments. It was just weeks after Turris was traded.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He answered the question with a bitter tone. He seemed pissed off. There was something else there than just responding to Doughty’s comments. It was just weeks after Turris was traded.

But is was a day or two after what Doughty had said, and how they were going to work together with their agent to both get Market value.

EK65 knew then that Ottawa is a small market, and that he would more than likley never get the same offer (from Ottawa) that Doughty was going to get from one of the largest Markets in the NHL ......... that's why they agreed (with their agent) to get Doughty signed to an extension, and thereby setting the Bar that Ottawa would never be able to match or exceed.

This would set up EK65 with a starting point when he becomes an UFA in July.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
But is was a day or two after what Doughty had said, and how they were going to work together with their agent to both get Market value.

EK65 knew then that Ottawa is a small market, and that he would more than likley never get the same offer (from Ottawa) that Doughty was going to get from one of the largest Markets in the NHL ......... that's why they agreed (with their agent) to get Doughty signed to an extension, and thereby setting the Bar that Ottawa would never be able to match or exceed.

This would set up EK65 with a starting point when he becomes an UFA in July.
Sure it had something to do with it, as it should. He’s a top 5 player.

But his rant seemed very out of character.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So now you're directly contradicting yourself. If they were going to co-ordindate, wouldn't that mean that they would then 'go to market' together? How could they possibly co-ordinate if Doughty signs a full year before Karlsson?

If they are co-ordinating, they are either BOTH signing with their home teams or BOTH going to market.

Just give up man.

They were both coming up on their final season (2018-19) together, and would be able to sign an extension on July 1st 2018.

They both "went to market" on July 1st with their respective teams, DD signed, EK65 did not.

Did you expect EK65 to sign for less than what DD received?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sure it had something to do with it, as it should. He’s a top 5 player.

But his rant seemed very out of character.

When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going

WOW, what a "Rant"!!!!!

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
They were both coming up on their final season (2018-19) together, and would be able to sign an extension on July 1st 2018.

They both "went to market" on July 1st with their respective teams, DD signed, EK65 did not.

Did you expect EK65 to sign for less than what DD received?

Dude, you JUST literally said on the last page that when EK said 'go to market' it meant he was going to become a UFA.

Now you're saying 'go to market' meant signing with the home team a year before UFA status. Come on dude. Again, just give up. You can't even keep your own argument straight. You are directly contradicting yourself.. in like 2o mins.. :laugh:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Especially the Bolded. He will, in my opinion, try to hold on until the Seattle expansion fees are paid.

This is a real issue, for me.

If he's rumoured to be holding out for $600m, because that's what Vegas paid, the second that the Seattle group pays $650m, then Melnyk's sale price will also increase by $50m.

I'm not holding my breath for the sale to happen anytime soon, if ever.

I remain ever hopeful, but it feels doubtful.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You can't back that up, it's just speculation on your part. EK65 never hinted at it, even if he thought that way ........ we can only take what he said on the record, as facts.

This "Old Quote" was the opening salvo from EK65, for the upcoming extension negotiations.

This set the stage for what eventually happened when Training Camp opened.

Let's see if he plays out the Season, and does what he said he was going to do, back in November ......... and that is, in other words, to become an UFA.
Scanlan confirmed from a former teammate that Karlsson wouldn't stay under Melnyk either way in an article a week or two back.

Pretty obvious at this point it was new ownership or bust and was never about the offer. Good on Karlsson for having sound judgement on his future team and not wanting to play for Trump jr.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dude, you JUST literally said on the last page that when EK said 'go to market' it meant he was going to become a UFA.

Now you're saying 'go to market' meant signing with the home team a year before UFA status. Come on dude. Again, just give up. You can't even keep your own argument straight. You are directly contradicting yourself.. in like 2o mins.. :laugh:

Look, I know it's hard for you follow along.
Both DD and EK have the same agent.
Both were coming up on the last year (July 1st 2018 -19)
Both would be able to sign an extension on July 1st 2018
Both were given an extension.

Doughty signed, Karlsson did not, and Doughty set the "bar" and Ottawa did not match it.

Karlsson knows he can get at least as much, but most likely more, elsewhere, and will either sign (after Feb 25th) with San Jose for 8 years, or after July 1st with another team.

My argument is straight, as they both pretty much laid it out for everyone, in the Media last November ........ One of them was going to set the market for the Other, and Doughty did that on July 1st this year.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He or his agent, according to Ottawa management, did not "get back to them" about the offer ........ so they pretty much had no other choice than to trade him.

Anytime you say "according to management", you lose me and probably many others. Management has lied on multiple occasions, while EK hasn't.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The #melnykout crowd is led by Nordiques fans and Toronto-based Leafs fans. They want to drive Senators revenue below the threshold for moving the team.

Toronto doesn't give a shit about anyone but Toronto and Nordiques Nation only peripherally cares about us in that they can get tickets for our games to boost their message.
D-

I'm in for anything that involves Eugene selling the team, but he's incredibly stubborn and he knows he has no relevance anymore once he stops being an NHL team owner.

Danythegod

Jun 25, 2013
Ottawa, ON
EK65 said, on November 30th “When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going

His answer was in response to what Drew Doughty had said a couple of nights earlier.

So with that statement, he clearly signaled to the Senators, that he was not going to sign an extension ......... because he clearly stated his intention to "go to market" AKA becoming an UFA July 1st 2019.

He also had a pretty good indication (Turris trade) that Ottawa was not going to sign any player to a long term extension, or contract, when he said "no matter where I'm going"

Drew Doughty set the Bar for DMen when he signed for 11 Million for 8 seasons (with a 10 Million signing bonus due July 1st 2019)

Ottawa reportedly offered his the same money and term , but no signing bonus.

He or his agent, according to Ottawa management, did not "get back to them" about the offer ........ so they pretty much had no other choice than to trade him.

Most people here see this as an 100% Ottawa Senators decision, and that EK65 is an innocent little lamb that was taken to market and slaughtered ........... But he had a had in this trade fro the get go, with those coordinated statements that He and Drew Doughty put out in the Media in November .......... they and their agent probably rehearsed all summer long, as to how they were going to set things up for their upcoming contract extension negotiations.

Erik Karlsson says he wants ‘market value’ on his next contract. How much is that?
Man... Put yourself in the shoes of Karlsson... Doughty got paid and Karlsson is way better of a player. This is a business and if you highly sought after, you are going to get paid. Defending the actions of current management because they were cheap (yet again) with the best defenceman of our time (sorry to offend the older fans who were around with Bobby Orr, Etcc...)...

You don't have anything besides that article to prove your point and that is weak. Stop defending these tyrants in management and take a step back and look at the situation with no biases..

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
Look, I know it's hard for you follow along.
Both DD and EK have the same agent.
Both were coming up on the last year (July 1st 2018 -19)
Both would be able to sign an extension on July 1st 2018
Both were given an extension.

Doughty signed, Karlsson did not, and Doughty set the "bar" and Ottawa did not match it.

Karlsson knows he can get at least as much, but most likely more, elsewhere, and will either sign (after Feb 25th) with San Jose for 8 years, or after July 1st with another team.

My argument is straight, as they both pretty much laid it out for everyone, in the Media last November ........ One of them was going to set the market for the Other, and Doughty did that on July 1st this year.

I am following along just fine. You said that they were co-ordinating. You can't co-ordinate when the variables are completely different.

1. Signing in different years.
2. One signing an eight year deal with the home team and the other signing a seven year deal on the open market.

If they were truly co-ordinating, that would mean they either both go to market or both sign with the home team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have been telling you people for quite a while about what is happening. This is somewhat true what was stated on the thread starter. I have always maintained what the original plan is to a few of the real people here who reached out to me a while back via private messaging. You guys know who you are. Things have been moving along quite well and there are some deadlines that are coming due soon. There will be a movement as far as ownership/partnership change. And, EM was offered 600million a few months back and he turned it down. Things are getting interesting and like I have said before.....EK65 never wanted to leave, he wanted to stay here......do not throw out his memorabilia just yet. This is going to something special one day, a story for the ages. No false hopes here.

You specifically said that EK was going to re-sign with Melnyk still involved. I know for a fact this is false. I also know that no one has come to close to offering 600 million, best offer was barely over 500 and he should have taken it. Two false truths, stop pulling people along here.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You specifically said that EK was going to re-sign with Melnyk still involved. I know for a fact this is false. I also know that no one has come to close to offering 600 million, best offer was barely over 500 and he should have taken it. Two false truths, stop pulling people along here.

Any info the mysens has given has been no different that what many others have said, the fact that he is using the "I have been telling you people this for awhile" line is a hilarious.

When Melnyk is finally bled dry by the fanbase and sells, I can guarantee mysens will be back with some "I told you so" takes.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
It comes down to if we want to win, as a fan base.

It may sound weird, but if you support every part of the team (including the owner) you will create a better opportunity for team success.

Yes Melnyk is cheap, we all know that. But he is cheap for a billionaire, ok. So he still gives this city a lot of money and the team does a lot for the city through charity work.

No, we will not be able to sign your favourite star every time, or mine cuz i liked EK too. But we can sign some of the stars.

The objective is winning, we as fans are not actually a part of this team and we didn't buy it or skate for it. We just want to watch them win games, and that's totally fair.

We have to accept what we can not change, ok. So until the team is sold, it does less good for us to degrade a man who has given to us. We should pray for him and then both of us will end up winning.

In my own mind I think of it like moneyball or whatever, we seem to havbe embraced the underdogt role as a fan base, "pesky sens" etc. Let's keep drafting well and getting a chance at the cup every 10 years and when we finally lift it again we will be reminded that it was the journey to the Cup and not the cup itself that led to our moment of jubilation.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We have to accept what we can not change, ok. So until the team is sold, it does less good for us to degrade a man who has given to us.

Eugene Melnyk hasn't given us anything in years, other than purchasing the team from Bryden, and having the free Eagles concert. The Sens foundation is run by people not named Melnyk, it is run by people who care about the community, Eugene Menyk clearly does not. The building could sell out for years and he still won't put money back into the organization and he would come up with some other bogus excuse.

This fanbase saved his life, he owes us much more than we owe him.

Reactions: Danythegod and bert

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It comes down to if we want to win, as a fan base.

It may sound weird, but if you support every part of the team (including the owner) you will create a better opportunity for team success.

Yes Melnyk is cheap, we all know that. But he is cheap for a billionaire, ok. So he still gives this city a lot of money and the team does a lot for the city through charity work.

No, we will not be able to sign your favourite star every time, or mine cuz i liked EK too. But we can sign some of the stars.

The objective is winning, we as fans are not actually a part of this team and we didn't buy it or skate for it. We just want to watch them win games, and that's totally fair.

We have to accept what we can not change, ok. So until the team is sold, it does less good for us to degrade a man who has given to us. We should pray for him and then both of us will end up winning.

In my own mind I think of it like moneyball or whatever, we seem to havbe embraced the underdogt role as a fan base, "pesky sens" etc. Let's keep drafting well and getting a chance at the cup every 10 years and when we finally lift it again we will be reminded that it was the journey to the Cup and not the cup itself that led to our moment of jubilation.
Stop it Ruszkowski.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Wow this thread. Dracula is some special. The sens will be sold. It is not an if, it is a when. Karlsson did want to stay BUT ONLY with new management. Notice Karlsson Stone AND Ceci played hardball with management. Team tanked last year because they are fed up. NOONE on the team likes Eugene. Not even Boro, he is just a good soldier earning his families due.

Things ARE brewing behind the scenes whether this Dracula or HoS, Erik Alfredsson believe is of no matter. These few posters are the equivalent of flat earthers screaming to the majority of us fans to try and get a ruse. They are entitled to think all they want but these opinions do not affect the reality of the matter at hand.

It is hard enough being a fan of this team for xxxx reasons no need to be ripping each other so much guys. Melnyk will be gone it's a matter of when. This year? Next? The movement behind the scenes is real. Believe as you will.

And for gods sake try and have a good day. Don't give yourselves a heart attack over this all, it ain't worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad