People have been trying to buy the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I spoke to a few people in Ottawa this weekend as a result of the tornado. One of the people I spoke to has ties to the legal teams for players and Melnyk. Take this with a grain of salt if you will but I firmly believe what I was told. Some of the interesting things I heard:

1) Investor group(s) have made offers for the team. The word is that Melnyk won't budge from a number right around the $600M mark. Loose quote was "if Vegas is worth that much then why should I sell for less?!?!"

2) It got serious enough and was out in the open enough that EK was indeed trying to stall for new ownership.

3) This one is a shocker, LOL. One of the investors has contacted the NHL regarding Melnyk's mental stability. The impression I got was that they were inquiring as to whether the NHL has grounds to step in and facilitate a change in ownership due to an owner being mentally unfit. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
I spoke to a few people in Ottawa this weekend as a result of the tornado. One of the people I spoke to has ties to the legal teams for players and Melnyk. Take this with a grain of salt if you will but I firmly believe what I was told. Some of the interesting things I hear:

1) Investor group(s) have made offers for the team. The word is that Melnyk won't budge from a number right around the $600M mark. Loose quote was "if Vegas is worth that much then why should I sell for less?!?!"

2) It got serious enough and was out in the open enough that EK was indeed trying to stall for new ownership.

3) This one is a shocker, LOL. One of the investors has contacted the NHL regarding Melnyk's mental stability. The impression I got was that they were inquiring as to whether the NHL has grounds to step in and facilitate a change in ownership due to an owner being mentally unfit. :facepalm:
Love number 3!

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
#2 and #3 are clearly fake news
Why, because you say so?

If, as is rumored Alfie is part of the potential ownership group, then 2 is clearly plausible.

3 is well within the real of possibility considering what I hear from some staff I know.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
EK was traded after getting a lowball offer...i don't get how that is stalling.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Why, because you say so?

If, as is rumored Alfie is part of the potential ownership group, then 2 is clearly plausible.

3 is well within the real of possibility considering what I hear from some staff I know.
Your hotdog vendor friends also do little to sway me.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I don t no why the group of Alfie is not willing to buy at 600m. He s not too bad for a group he s billionnaire. With the lebreton flats is the value

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not JC Lajoie biggest fan, but I must admit that he is very good at his job. He is pretty much the hockey guru in Montreal and has collaborators like Yon Pedneault, Mike Bossy, Bob Hartley, etc. He has a lot of contacts and usually, he wouldn't come up with things that is not coming from a very reliable source. He's a very smart guy and doesn't get overwhelmed in the madness of speculations and rumors.

The way he's been talking regarding the Sens, Alfie is clearly involved with a rich family from the area in actively trying to buy the team.

(Now this part is my speculation)

It makes a lot of sense for the family, even if they financially wouldn't need him, to have Alfie as the FACE OF THE OWNERSHIP CHANGE.

But Melnyk has invested a lot of money in this and wants to make a good profit. The hope is that they come back with a better offer and even "overpay" a little if needed. Melnyk probably needs to see the offer reflect the franchise value in 3 years when the team is rising and the Lebreton project is completed.

I'm 99% convinced that Melnyk and Karlsson aren't in good terms and that Karlsson was waiting to see if the ownership change could be incoming to accept a similar offer to Doughty (maybe not even the same bonuses), but the ship has sailed and since EK wouldn't sign, Melnyk ordered Dorion to trade EK (at the worst timing possible, before training camp)

The big hope here is that the group trying to buy the team substantially up their offer and are able to buy the team before the 2019-20 season, to have EK to re-sign in Ottawa (with Alfie at the helm). They'd probably lose some money at first, but long term, they will recover the losses and imagine if EK comes back, Alfie is the owner, and the team is about to get a new arena downtown. Fan support would probably be the best ever. No more Melnyk, Aflie and EK back, really great prospect pool.

Instead of #Melnykout, it should be #pleaseMelnyksell.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
EK was traded after getting a lowball offer...i don't get how that is stalling.

It was reported that he was offered 11 Million X 8 years ...... but it was not structured like DDs contract with a 10Million bonus due on July 1st 2019 ... and according to PD, EK and his agent basically broke off talks, and did not counter offer.

That could be seen as stalling, if you want to take what Alf Silfversson heard this weekend.

EK65 could run-out the clock this season, and wait until he becomes an UFA this coming July, in the hopes there's a change in Ownership in Ottawa, if he truly wanted to, and would still want to play in Ottawa ............ but that's a really long shot.

Found this article (from last Nov) that has San Jose on his MNT Clist.

If true, then EK65 would have needed to waive his MNTC to facilitate the trade.

8 Teams Erik Karlsson Would Accept A Trade To And 7 He WOULD NOT

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Or empty the arena till he accepts the offer.

The bonus for my plan is that it costs Melnyk $!

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
That's the normal procedure to trade the franchise biggest star or players for assets before the sale of the team. Mats Sundin was traded to the Leafs in 1994 and Nordiques was sold in 1995. Yashin was traded for assets and team was sold to Melnyk. New owners do not need a huge payroll but only cheap good assets, huge payroll is just added dollars to the final price tag.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I want $600M for my business.

Let me devalue my business and alienate my customers by trading the businesse's biggest asset.

Now about that $600M, should I be expecting a cheque or a money order?

Actually, there was and interesting column in the papers last week, and it was linked here, in one of the threads, that put forward that NOT committing $88 million (or whatever) towards one player (EK65) beginning next July might actually make the team more attractive to a potential buyer.

The fewer long term contracts the better the column went of to say, giving the new owner as much as a clean slate as possible.

Ottawa currently only has three (roster) players signed to contracts that extend beyond July 2020, meaning all other contracts expire next July or July 2020.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That's the normal procedure to trade the franchise biggest star or players for assets before the sale of the team. Mats Sundin was traded to the Leafs in 1994 and Nordiques was sold in 1995. Yashin was traded for assets and team was sold to Melnyk. New owners do not need a huge payroll but only cheap good assets, huge payroll is just added dollars to the final price tag.

Enough with the fake shit you keep posting. Melnyk is not the season Yashin was traded.

Reactions: bert

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If Alfie is going to be involved with new ownership, you’d think he would want Karlsson though.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad