People have been trying to buy the Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Ok, this is just my opinion based on minimal observations....

Karlsson did not want to stay in Ottawa, why? He refused to even talk to management (i dont buy that whole we havent talked in a year thing, come on it takes two to talk, speak up lol)

He clearly did not like Hoffman, and then apparently he dealt with it terribly in the locker room, acting like a little kid, his wife bulllies hoffman and his wife out of town, either way you look at it. There was no evidence or even charges laid.

If I was on that team I wouldn't want a captain who a) couldn't even stand upo for himslf or his team or even talk to management and b) clearly has a hard time with dealing with other people and locker room situations.

Reactions: coladin and bert

TheGeneral

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
www.blogger.com
Well I have no reason to not believe Karlsson. The management group has been proven to have lied on record so there's precedent there from other things.

As for Karlsson not talking to management because "it takes 2"... Remember this goes through agents.. it's negotiation.. it's hardball. Karlsson said what he wanted. Dorion offered less. What else is there to say? An agent's best move would be to not say anythinf and wait until Ottawa comes around on it's own. Karlsson is heading into UFA as the most sought after Defensman... They hold all the cards.. what was he going to do? Call Ottawa back and say they are willing to take less? Or call Ottawa back and say.. hey just a reminder.. we want full value. Doesn't make a difference. Not talking doesn't mean not communicating.

Reactions: Danythegod

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018

Karlsson did not want to stay in Ottawa, why? He refused to even talk to management (i dont buy that whole we havent talked in a year thing, come on it takes two to talk, speak up lol)

He clearly did not like Hoffman, and then apparently he dealt with it terribly in the locker room, acting like a little kid, his wife bulllies hoffman and his wife out of town, either way you look at it. There was no evidence or even charges laid.

If I was on that team I wouldn't want a captain who a) couldn't even stand upo for himslf or his team or even talk to management and b) clearly has a hard time with dealing with other people and locker room situations.
Proof or hearsay??

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Karlsson had his contracts desires, and it went it became clear that Ottawa wouldn’t reach, the writing was on the wall. Maybe EK would have taken a bit of a hometown discount (so similar to Doughty but without heavy bonuses) if a change in ownership was in effect (with Alfie involved), but since it’s not imminent, can’t risk to lose him ala Tavares (still should have waited at the deadline)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Wow, just wow.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

You might have something here.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think Karlsson knew he wasn’t re-signing with Melnyk regardless of the contract after Turris was lowballed. They were pretty close. Karl’s attitude towards ownership seemed to change after that.

So yeah, either way I blame Melnyk.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Foilhat_tin-foil_hats.jpg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So theoretically Karlsson could wait until next off-season and re-sign under a new ownership?

That's if he wants to play in Ottawa, under a new owner, more than an Eighth year he could get from San Jose prior to Feb 25th.

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
He clearly did not like Hoffman, and then apparently he dealt with it terribly in the locker room, acting like a little kid, his wife bulllies hoffman and his wife out of town, either way you look at it.

I am hoping you are just trying to stir the pot here...

If EK65 didn't deal with things well in the locker room why are all the players missing him via social media? They should be happy then...

MK didn't bully MC. Didn't you see how the wives all backed the Karlssons and how no one is defending MC?

Things are rough, I get it, but we really don't need the pot to be stirred just to get folks even more upset. Your take is hot garbage. I know you say it is based on observations, but I think you need to observe a little closely.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
For what it's worth, I know someone who works in the organization as well. He told me last fall that there were rumblings of a sale (long before the media picked it up). He told me that the only way Karlsson was going to stay was with an ownership change. He put it at 50/50 that the team would have been sold by the end of last year.

As for the original poster's conversation and speculation that Melnyk wants 600M, it makes sense... especially if the new group is going to get the whole development at Lebreton as well as the team.

Melnyk is probably asking for future value, while they are only willing to pay current value - pretty much the way it goes every time someone sells a business.

At the end of the day, boycotting is the best thing any serious Sens fan can do. The only way Melnyk is going to budge from his number is if we make him suffer in the short term. Let's not forget that he's going to get handed around 20M, cash, when Seattle joins the league. He's probably holding out hope on that cash as well. We need to make sure that building is empty so he has no choice. He can only keep getting loans for so long. The emptier the building, the faster this team is going to sell.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well I have no reason to not believe Karlsson. The management group has been proven to have lied on record so there's precedent there from other things.

As for Karlsson not talking to management because "it takes 2"... Remember this goes through agents.. it's negotiation.. it's hardball. Karlsson said what he wanted. Dorion offered less. What else is there to say? An agent's best move would be to not say anythinf and wait until Ottawa comes around on it's own. Karlsson is heading into UFA as the most sought after Defensman... They hold all the cards.. what was he going to do? Call Ottawa back and say they are willing to take less? Or call Ottawa back and say.. hey just a reminder.. we want full value. Doesn't make a difference. Not talking doesn't mean not communicating.

EK65 said, on November 30th “When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going

His answer was in response to what Drew Doughty had said a couple of nights earlier.

So with that statement, he clearly signaled to the Senators, that he was not going to sign an extension ......... because he clearly stated his intention to "go to market" AKA becoming an UFA July 1st 2019.

He also had a pretty good indication (Turris trade) that Ottawa was not going to sign any player to a long term extension, or contract, when he said "no matter where I'm going"

Drew Doughty set the Bar for DMen when he signed for 11 Million for 8 seasons (with a 10 Million signing bonus due July 1st 2019)

Ottawa reportedly offered his the same money and term , but no signing bonus.

He or his agent, according to Ottawa management, did not "get back to them" about the offer ........ so they pretty much had no other choice than to trade him.

Most people here see this as an 100% Ottawa Senators decision, and that EK65 is an innocent little lamb that was taken to market and slaughtered ........... But he had a had in this trade fro the get go, with those coordinated statements that He and Drew Doughty put out in the Media in November .......... they and their agent probably rehearsed all summer long, as to how they were going to set things up for their upcoming contract extension negotiations.

Erik Karlsson says he wants ‘market value’ on his next contract. How much is that?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
EK65 said, on November 30th “When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going

His answer was in response to what Drew Doughty had said a couple of nights earlier.

So with that statement, he clearly signaled to the Senators, that he was not going to sign an extension ......... because he clearly stated his intention to "go to market" AKA becoming an UFA July 1st 2019.

He also had a pretty good indication (Turris trade) that Ottawa was not going to sign any player to a long term extension, or contract, when he said "no matter where I'm going"

Drew Doughty set the Bar for DMen when he signed for 11 Million for 8 seasons (with a 10 Million signing bonus due July 1st 2019)

He or his agent, according to Ottawa management, did not "get back to them" about the offer ........ so they pretty much had no other choice than to trade him.

Most people here see this as an 100% Ottawa Senators decision, and that EK65 is an innocent little lamb that was taken to market and slaughtered ........... But he had a had in this trade fro the get go, with those coordinated statements that He and Drew Doughty put out in the Media in November .......... they and their agent probably rehearsed all summer long, as to how they were going to set things up for their upcoming contract extension negotiations.

Erik Karlsson says he wants ‘market value’ on his next contract. How much is that?

Seriously? This old quote?

Consider this: Karlsson would have signed here under any other management than the current one. They're the ones that messed this up, not Erik.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

His response seemed more of a response to the owner meddling in and forcing one of his best friends in the dressing room out than it does about Doughty.

A big part of it was his decision and who could blame him? He knew fully who was behind the Turris trade and what that means for how the team will be run.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009

He told the media that he was going to get what he's worth 'no matter where he was going', likely because he wasn't confident that he was going to get 'what he's worth in Ottawa'. And he was right.

Doughty go 'what he was worth' in LA. Seguin got 'what he was worth' in Dallas. Both are fellow superstars. Both of their teams didn't have a problem keeping them. Both of those teams paid the majority of the contract in bonus money.

Even if Ottawa did offer EK the same total money and term as Doughty (which I still don't believe), they didn't add the bonus. That means if there is a lockout (which there will be, knowing Bettman) EK won't be paid, but Seguin and Doughty will be.

Karlsson is the best defenseman in the world. He should be paid accordingly regardless of where he goes.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Seriously? This old quote?

Consider this: Karlsson would have signed here under any other management than the current one. They're the ones that messed this up, not Erik.

You can't back that up, it's just speculation on your part. EK65 never hinted at it, even if he thought that way ........ we can only take what he said on the record, as facts.

This "Old Quote" was the opening salvo from EK65, for the upcoming extension negotiations.

This set the stage for what eventually happened when Training Camp opened.

Let's see if he plays out the Season, and does what he said he was going to do, back in November ......... and that is, in other words, to become an UFA.

Charliebox

Aug 5, 2009
You can't back that up, it's just speculation on your part. EK65 never hinted at it, even if he thought that way ........ we can only take what he said on the record, as facts.

This "Old Quote" was the opening salvo from EK65, for the upcoming extension negotiations.

This set the stage for what eventually happened when Training Camp opened.

Let's see if he plays out the Season, and does what he said he was going to do, back in November ......... and that is, in other words, to become an UFA.

You do remember that he was just asked for his no-trade teams a couple months before making that comment right?

Superstars who aren't going to be traded aren't asked for their no-trade lists. Clearly, he knew at that time that he wouldn't be here in Ottawa to sign his next extension. So yeah, he probably thought he was 'going to market'.

It's easy to take a quote out of context and say 'see, he was going to leave'. We all know he wanted to stay. That is obvious to 95% of the Sens fan base.

I can't wait to see games with 6000 fans in the seats this year. I will sit at home and laugh, and laugh and laugh.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad