Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Preds| loss | Letang, we….. ummm. Just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The forum is finally on the same page as me about our wack-a-mole wingers. It only took a few seasons of seeing "we outshot/outchanced them 20 to 5 but lost 3-1" and countless arguments for it to happen, but I finally feel vindicated.

it seems like we just change out the wack a moles lol…but seriously, when we talk about lack of finishing year after year, it has to come down to the coach…whether it’s just the players he’s advocating for or it’s how he wants them to play, the reality is that we don’t get a lot of sustained opportunities in the Ozone, particularly net front, and last night we certainly seemed addicted to stoping, pivoting, dishing a puck to the point or thereabouts and trying to tip shots into the net…hard way to consistently get goals…it’s unfortunate that neither Geno or Sid have the speed anymore to be the ones to get breakaways because Kap isn’t cutting it

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The forum is finally on the same page as me about our wack-a-mole wingers. It only took a few seasons of seeing "we outshot/outchanced them 20 to 5 but lost 3-1" and countless arguments for it to happen, but I finally feel vindicated.
Been rolling my eyes at the whole "look at the shots, man! what more do you want?!" stuff for a while. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Since January 1, the Penguins are 7-7-2 against teams that are currently in the playoffs as of today

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Players felt good about their play and have a feeling they like how they are playing. Like saying Frankenstein won't win the 100 yard dash but overall he moves OK. Pens need a change.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
it seems like we just change out the wack a moles lol…but seriously, when we talk about lack of finishing year after year, it has to come down to the coach…whether it’s just the players he’s advocating for or it’s how he wants them to play, the reality is that we don’t get a lot of sustained opportunities in the Ozone, particularly net front, and last night we certainly seemed addicted to stoping, pivoting, dishing a puck to the point or thereabouts and trying to tip shots into the net…hard way to consistently get goals…it’s unfortunate that neither Geno or Sid have the speed anymore to be the ones to get breakaways because Kap isn’t cutting it
Sully checked all the boxes yesterday...what else he can do? Half of the goals in NHL are lucky bounces, can't do much about it unless yo have high volume of shots, and we do...as far as sniping skills thats valid point, but what can you do. Jake sniped one last night masterfully. Kappy and Heinen had open looks where Draisaitl or someone like that has better odds to score than these, but what can you do? You go to battel with the Army you have. Geno cannot make the space for himself any more so that ship sailed. You can't teach Letang to put the puck in the open net, or to shoot at least 5-6% ...

Reactions: PaulD and Andy99

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If the net was empty Kap would chest snipe the goalie on the bench.
2820306_web1_98486406.jpg

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I'm not going to knock Sully's lines because he did make alterations like most have been dying for. All in all we out chanced the opposition and he iced the best possible lineup with what he was given.

I just hope he doesn't trash this due to an unfortunate series of bad bounces. Furthermore I think if Jarry plays that game, it's different. Not blaming CDS but he needed to come up w/ a big save and he didn't. Jarry typically does.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not going to knock Sully's lines because he did make alterations like most have been dying for. All in all we out chanced the opposition and he iced the best possible lineup with what he was given.

I just hope he doesn't trash this due to an unfortunate series of bad bounces. Furthermore I think if Jarry plays that game, it's different. Not blaming CDS but he needed to come up w/ a big save and he didn't. Jarry typically does.

we have to play CDS though half the remaining games or Jarry will have played an outlandish amount of games…no team has had success in the POs recently playing a goalie that much

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sucky suck suck.

Sully tried some stuff. Lets hope one defeat wont stop that, but some apparent lack of cohesiveness. Worrying that the PP is so off after a spell looking very good.

Saros is a very good goalie and Josi is incredible.

Sully tried some stuff sure and it’s appreciated, but one thing he never tries and it might have helped last night: put Sid, Jake, etc on the PK…they were behind and the Preds got three PPs…instead of just playing it safe for the kill, put some guys out there who can generate offense…maybe we get a few short handed chances?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sully tried some stuff sure and it’s appreciated, but one thing he never tries and it might have helped last night: put Sid, Jake, etc on the PK…they were behind and the Preds got three PPs…instead of just playing it safe for the kill, put some guys out there who can generate offense…maybe we get a few short handed chances?

I believe both Rust and Rodrigues were used on the PKs in the third.

Reactions: vodeni and Icarium

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
I see a lot of complaining on here about Letang, and i'll paraphrase what i said several months ago regarding this team.

The team lacks identity. They had started to find it during the time Malkin was hurt. They were defining themselves as a disciplined, counter-attacking, skilled group that was consistently performing each night. The results were that they were winning a lot of games and rarely getting out-hustled. Then Malkin returned. The effects weren't immediate, but over time its clear their hard work has unraveled. I believe a lot of this has to due to Malkin's style - hes grossly undisciplined, erratic, and tends to do his own thing at the expense of the team and the game plan. Some nights it works, because Malkin still has superstar ability and can score. Other nights its a disaster. There is no longer a unified front on this team that makes them consistent each and every game.

That brings me to Kris Letang. Letang shares a lot of Malkin's characteristics. He loves playing loose and risky. The difference is that he can also buy into the system and play with the team. Malkin is incapable of doing this. Kris Letang is often the first casualty when Malkin starts running around. Monkey-see monkey do. Having the two of them on the ice on the powerplay or on the ice together in overtime makes for very entertaining television, but not entertaining for Penguin fans. It really amplifies the problem with Malkin though.. because now your #1 D is mimicking him.

Right now this is Malkin's team. They will ride or die as he goes. Probably the first round again.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

I'm sure you'd be the first to run to Sully's defense if Sid got his foot broke blocking a shot on PK.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I believe both Rust and Rodrigues were used on the PKs in the third.

Rust was out there a little…ERod can’t hit the net unless he unleashes something on a set piece…but hes not some one who can deke out a goalie on a breakaway

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Rust and ERod killed penalties throughout the game, and Guentzel and Crosby did get out late on a PK.

But Crosby played 21 minutes and Guentzel played just a few seconds less. They can't do everything. At some point, it's incumbent upon other players to produce and play their roles effectively.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Rust and ERod killed penalties throughout the game, and Guentzel and Crosby did get out late on a PK.

But Crosby played 21 minutes and Guentzel played just a few seconds less. They can't do everything. At some point, it's incumbent upon other players to produce and play their roles effectively.
If anything, you have to wonder why he hasn't thrown Kapanen out there on the PK. He was good at it in Toronto, and if he's not going to score at least he could be useful as a Hagelin-esque fast PKer who can waste 2 SH breakaways a game.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
. The effects weren't immediate, but over time its clear their hard work has unraveled. I believe a lot of this has to due to Malkin's style - hes grossly undisciplined, erratic, and tends to do his own thing at the expense of the team and the game plan.
Sometimes I really do wonder if some of the posters on this forum actually watch the games or regurgitate the nonsense that the dumbest media come up with. The "grossly undisciplined" Malkin has 6 minor penalties in 25 games. Oh, and he has been a part of the team for 16 years now, somehow the team managed to play disciplined with this "grossly undisciplined" guy in the line-up in the past but cannot nowadays because... I don't know, they just can't. Maybe he upgraded with locker room cancer skill back in 2017 for shits and giggles. Yeah, that must be it. It has nothing to do with the fact that all NHL teams have many games where they look horrible because the regular season is stupidly long and every teams takes nights off or the fact that the Pens are an aging team. Nah, it's all Malkin.
Honestly, a (small) part of me hopes Malkin has had enough and signs for some other team in the summer. I guarantee that no later than 5 games into the next season, most of the whiners who think he is the root cause of everything will start whining why the team let him go. Spoiled doesn't even begin to describe this attitude.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I see a lot of complaining on here about Letang, and i'll paraphrase what i said several months ago regarding this team.

The team lacks identity. They had started to find it during the time Malkin was hurt. They were defining themselves as a disciplined, counter-attacking, skilled group that was consistently performing each night. The results were that they were winning a lot of games and rarely getting out-hustled. Then Malkin returned. The effects weren't immediate, but over time its clear their hard work has unraveled. I believe a lot of this has to due to Malkin's style - hes grossly undisciplined, erratic, and tends to do his own thing at the expense of the team and the game plan. Some nights it works, because Malkin still has superstar ability and can score. Other nights its a disaster. There is no longer a unified front on this team that makes them consistent each and every game.

That brings me to Kris Letang. Letang shares a lot of Malkin's characteristics. He loves playing loose and risky. The difference is that he can also buy into the system and play with the team. Malkin is incapable of doing this. Kris Letang is often the first casualty when Malkin starts running around. Monkey-see monkey do. Having the two of them on the ice on the powerplay or on the ice together in overtime makes for very entertaining television, but not entertaining for Penguin fans. It really amplifies the problem with Malkin though.. because now your #1 D is mimicking him.

Right now this is Malkin's team. They will ride or die as he goes. Probably the first round again.

What a terrible take. This team is one of the least in the league in penalties. They aren’t undisciplined. They lack scoring depth. Malkin didn’t turn Erod and kap in pumpkins. He didn’t make Carter disappear. He did make the pp better for a min.

The style changed because they can’t score. They are chasing every game because they don’t score first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad