Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Preds| loss | Letang, we….. ummm. Just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think ERod should be kept away from the power play. In fact, he should be scratched.

He's providing nothing. He's holding onto the puck too long, trying to toe drag through defenders. That shot you talk about hasn't been seen in weeks.

I'm at the point where ZAR provides more tangible worth to the lineup than Rodrigues or Kapanen, and I'd just as soon as fire ZAR into the sun.
While I agree he's playing like shit, his role on the PP is pretty simple and easily executable for him. Just needs to wire it.
He does have 7 PPG's this year for a reason.

ERod is returning to the player he's been for most of his career. I wouldn't be too broken up about it if he was scratched though.

Kap is starting to play better the last few games. Getting better looks. Using more speed and hanging onto pucks longer. Wish he'd get rewarded for it, but his finishing sucks this year.
Two true grade A's in this game. Sigh.

Puustinen didn't deserve to be sent down again. These last 21 games are pretty meaningless, so I wouldn't mind seeing Nylander as well. Wanna see what we have in house so the coaching staff feel they can rely on them more next season.

And yeah, it's fair to say that when Kap and ERod aren't scoring, ZAR helps us more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, enough to win most series. And that's with us not completely gelled as a team. And we likely have a trade coming to help.
I mean without the Jackets game it's 4-2-1 which is essentially 4-3.

Not great but not bad. The story of the Pens this season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is a dumb take.
A dumb take is any take that suggests Malkin's line has near enough talent to make L2 a regular threat.

We have an elite center whose line is a complete writeoff because he's surrounded by either league min guys or brainless speedsters.

Reactions: BHD

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The forum is finally on the same page as me about our wack-a-mole wingers. It only took a few seasons of seeing "we outshot/outchanced them 20 to 5 but lost 3-1" and countless arguments for it to happen, but I finally feel vindicated.
I been right there since time immemorial.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Geno doesn't seem to shoot the puck on the PP anymore.
100%. Still having him on the point at this stage is so stupid. I see nothing great out of our PP that isn’t just five skilled guys making it work.

But We know Jake and Rust aren’t losing their spots.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I'll go with some positive stuff:
- Carter's skating was noticeable better than in the last few games
- Kapanen's confidence is at level -100 but he's has been skating, trying and generating much better since playing on the 3rd line
- Geno is engaged but he needs help. He can't do it alone anymore and the opposing teams just back up and let him circle around the net.

Let's see what the next two games will bring. They won't be easy but pretty winnable.

Reactions: Still Apps

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Annoyed this is the result when this is exactly the F groupings I would have created with that is available.

dingo71

Apr 27, 2021
Penguins had 22 scoring chances to Nashville's 11, had 9 high danger shots to Nashville's 1, and were outscored 3-1 at even strength.

Hockey is just weird sometimes.
I agree with the sentiment but how are high danger shots counted? Nashville had two clear cut breakaways and got shots off on both. One was short handed so maybe that’s it.

dingo71

Apr 27, 2021
Two things on the Predator side. That Jeannot guy is an awesome player and their first goal was the coolest face off play I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno doesn't seem to shoot the puck on the PP anymore.

I dont think lanes are always there. Honestly. I think if you watch the powerplay and instead of watch the puck, watch shooting lanes, you tend to see the lack of movement.

And when there are shooting lanes, the boys are working/skating for movement.

Reactions: Smasher

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Two things on the Predator side. That Jeannot guy is an awesome player and their first goal was the coolest face off play I’ve ever seen.

Dude... he was SO noticeable. I couldn't believe how many Nashville players I didn't know. :laugh: Like I know i haven't been watching Nashville lately but damn they have some likable players and some players i've never ever heard of.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We created enough chances to win but Saros is one of the best goalies in the league. It happens. At least Sully is changing things up lately. Gotta love how according to half of this board, when our goalie stands on his head it and we scrape a win, this means we suck and when the other goalie does it, it means that we suck too. Geno going cold after that incredible game in Tampa is a bit worrying and the PP is trying to be too cute of late but overall the sky is falling mentality is a little too much.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We created enough chances to win but Saros is one of the best goalies in the league. It happens. At least Sully is changing things up lately. Gotta love how according to half of this board, when our goalie stands on his head it and we scrape a win, this means we suck and when the other goalie does it, it means that we suck too. Geno going cold after that incredible game in Tampa is a bit worrying and the PP is trying to be too cute of late but overall the sky is falling mentality is a little too much.

Ya, he was fantastic last night. His movements are flawless and he covers a shit load of space in net!

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
- Sullivan for choosing tonight — a game against a tough and stout team who’s at the top of their game — to experiment with different combos.

Do that against Arizona, Philly, Buffalo, etc.

Must kept GCR together.

Math & Tang are not a good pair.

Simon should never play another game for us. He brings nothing. At least ZAR hits and PKs so he can be useful when not scoring, but Simon does nothing.

Get Malkin a legit winger.
you just don't understand sully's genieass. :banghead:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Thought the defense and powerplay were the reason we lost. That powerplay has been woeful of late.

The PP is a difference maker in a negative way lol…I thought the difference in the game was that the Preds were opportunistic, otherwise known as had finishing ability… whether you want to attribute that to better goaltending or better finishing, a Preds rookie had a breakaway, scores, and Kap gets a breakaway and doesn’t score….difference in the game

Reactions: ColePens and PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
True, but the brand of hockey is just so…flat and uninspiring??

It’s a chore to watch most nights.
If you think watching Pens games is a chore ................ you aint watching other games.
As a Habs fan who cant stand watching his own team. (for years) The best games to watch are the Pens, Panthers and Aves.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad