Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panther | OT win | We are so very special. Our special teams giveth and taketh away

I currently hate _____ on this team more right now:

• Ruh

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • POJ

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • CDS

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Sully

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Write in

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The issue with that is that for basically the first time in Malkin's career he is getting preferential treatment over Sid because that 2nd line has looked deadly since put together. I think the reason Rust is on line one is twofold, as I just said the second line is great, but also there is no one else to put in Rust's spot besides Rakell. If KK were healthy, it be worth trying him there for a game or two, but it wouldn't work as a permanent solution.
Yep. You can't tear line 2 apart. They are beasting. Rust on line 3 or half the time and have someone else there.

Kapanen DOC if he can RW. Just anybody. Gudas for a couple shifts would have been cool.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Yep. You can't tear line 2 apart. They are beasting.

That's the same ridiculous argument we heard about Jake/Sid/Rust and Geno was left with scraps. This is about what is best for the team.

It's hard for people to hear, but Sid and Jake need help. Or maybe a better way to rephrase is that whatever line Rust is on, he sinks it. So putting Rakell up to L1 will boost that line, but L2 will take a hit because Rust will be on it.

But I have more confidence with Rust breaking out of his funk w/ Geno (who he's had tremendous success with) vs remaining with Sid.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
honestly what was strong that you saw in Carter's game, I did not see anything, and I want to see whatever good is desperately, his line had a some offensive zone time, but zero danger, I guess at least they did not get caved in
He was 64.3% on the FO in this game. It's his best quality.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
That's the same ridiculous argument we heard about Jake/Sid/Rust and Geno was left with scraps. This is about what is best for the team.
L2 has looked good far more often than any other line in January but they don't outscore the opponentс all that often. They scored 1 and allowed 3 in this game, for example. Rakell and Malkin are racking up a lot of their points on the PP.

L1 needs someone to do the dirty work. If not Rakell, then put someone else.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

It's hard for people to hear, but Sid and Jake need help. Or maybe a better way to rephrase is that whatever line Rust is on, he sinks it. So putting Rakell up to L1 will boost that line, but L2 will take a hit because Rust will be on it.

But I have more confidence with Rust breaking out of his funk w/ Geno (who he's had tremendous success with) vs remaining with Sid.

Well I'm of the opinion we can move Rust to line 3 and have tryouts with Crosby.

I definitely was of the opinion swapping them early on however I really don't want to ruin a good thing going for Malkin.

Rust on line 3. Tell Carter they are resting him a bit give him line 4 duties heck maybe we use line 4 more!

Then tryouts next to Crosby. If you are playing with Guentzel and Crosby you just gotta work your ass off.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Doesn’t sound too serious if they’re already planning for his return immediately after the break…

The break came at the perfect time. Lucky.

Can anyone explain why Sully loves playing Ruhwedel-Dumo lately on the PK?
They are trying to reduce Letang's minutes. They were a pairing last year on the PK when it was one of the best in the league as well. Difference is they're both worse this year.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Can anyone explain why Sully loves playing Ruhwedel-Dumo lately on the PK?

The break came at the perfect time. Lucky.

They are trying to reduce Letang's minutes. They were a pairing last year on the PK when it was one of the best in the league as well. Difference is they're both worse this year.

Would you rather Letang + insert name play an extra 2 minutes of PK or 2 minutes of ES.

In my eyes I'd rather Letang make a difference at ES than the PK but that's me.

Edit : Agreeing with Aurora

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Would you rather Letang + insert name play an extra 2 minutes of PK or 2 minutes of ES.

In my eyes I'd rather Letang make a difference at ES than the PK but that's me.

Edit : Agreeing with Aurora
I don't think Letang's defensive play this year warrants more PK play anyway. Getting Rutta back to knock Chad out of the lineup will be nice.

I think it'd be wise to see what POJ can do on the PK too. Getting the experience for the future will be helpful.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
DK had an interesting quote on his podcast yesterday, someone he knows within the organization told him this year's locker room chemistry was really good and really close, as good as the back to back years.

I take it in a few ways, maybe why we (Hextall) are hesitant to move pieces out because of being afraid to **** with that, so as to why the reason to let it ride out.

The other way I take is its gotten way too comfortable and complacent. We need to gut the team out, including the coach.
Hextall has always been hesitant to much of anything though. I think you are giving him credit where credit isn’t due.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Okay, there were lots of you who were clamoring for more goals. You got it. How do you feel?
Is your viewpoint colored by the fact that the team won; how would you have felt if the Panthers had scored a 7th goal in regulation?
I much prefer being frustrated with a combination of offensive production plus stupid breakdowns and poor goaltending versus offensive impotence coupled with stupid breakdowns and poor goaltending. But I am a simple man.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Sure our defense had it's lapses, but CDS made it easy to score on him a few times by over aggressively swimming out above the crease while he's getting walked. Yes that a defense problem, but the way CDS is playing he's making it a sure thing that if our defense makes a mistake it's going in the net. Thankfully florida's goalie was as big of a mess or bigger.

if we play against a competent goalie we lose that and it's not close.
florida's goalie was as big of a mess or bigger.

if we play against a competent goalie we lose that and it's not close.

and why is it that our number one issue *STILL* is goal tending? I can almost see it happening again this post season (if we make it) our big 3 will be actually playing well, we'll get the lionshare of chances and possession and lose once again because our goalie can't stop a beach ball.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The issue with that is that for basically the first time in Malkin's career he is getting preferential treatment over Sid because that 2nd line has looked deadly since put together. I think the reason Rust is on line one is twofold, as I just said the second line is great, but also there is no one else to put in Rust's spot besides Rakell. If KK were healthy, it be worth trying him there for a game or two, but it wouldn't work as a permanent solution.
They’re terrible defensively though. And the little bump in offense from Rust to Rakell isn’t making up for it. And if you look at our win loss record with Rust on L1 vs Rakell on L1, it’s not even close. We’re at about a .350 winning winning percentage when Rust plays on L1. This shouldn’t be about Malkin or Crosby. It should be about what’s best for the team.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Well I'm of the opinion we can move Rust to line 3 and have tryouts with Crosby.

I definitely was of the opinion swapping them early on however I really don't want to ruin a good thing going for Malkin.

Rust on line 3. Tell Carter they are resting him a bit give him line 4 duties heck maybe we use line 4 more!

Then tryouts next to Crosby. If you are playing with Guentzel and Crosby you just gotta work your ass off.
If your coach has a brain that works properly,this would be the answer. But ours doesn’t. He gets fixated on certain players in certain roles and rarely relents. In his head there are basically only 4 options for the 4 spots for wingers in the top-6. It sucks, but we have to accept these parameters, because he’s not going to change.

So for the sake of the team, he needs to swap Rust and Rakell back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad