Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panther | OT win | We are so very special. Our special teams giveth and taketh away

I currently hate _____ on this team more right now:

• Ruh

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • POJ

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • CDS

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Sully

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Write in

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
not sure if anyone listened to Sully presser but the way he responded to the question when was Jarry injured indiicates that he is so annoyed by Jarry and that this injury is something totally weird that may got nothing to do with hockey.
He seems annoyed with any injury honestly. Listen to him when anyone is hurt and listen to his tone. He’s the type that probably feels that what Babcock did wasn’t wrong etc.

Jarry took a fair amount of contact vs the Sens and then matinee vs the Devils after a heavy game back from a previous injury. Sully still has no f***ing clue how to ease a player in. He’s shown that enough times to know how his ignorant mind works with this.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Letang literally had a second stroke in his young life and came back to play 22mins in his first game back.

Yeah, f*** Sully and whatever he feels annoyed by.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He did that thing with Strome when Backs was back where it threw them off course. It’s the kind of shit Sully does. Oh snap you’re back from a hard injury? f*** easing you in mate, take your spot back. Get your normal ice time back! Rather than slowly playing them in and keeping what works together and layering it in. It would have provided them a better look at depth but instead they’ll f*** it up the way Sully does with this need to pander towards the core vs what works and making sure the depth in the line up is sorted.

Yeah I said the same thing in the Caps forum when it went down.

So bizarre they scratched Strome.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Letang literally had a second stroke in his young life and came back to play 22mins in his first game back.

Yeah, f*** Sully and whatever he feels annoyed by.

I wouldn't have wanted Letang to play any less and I am 100% sure Letang would not have wanted to play any less either.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
@Better Call Maul while Sully gets to his game brushing his teeth in the morning...

4uxC.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
A team with a history of injury issues, makes sense to throw them back to regular usage rather than being cautious. Makes 100% sense. How could I ever think otherwise.
Maybe there's a broad statistical analysis that proves that skipping 3 minutes of playing time over a span of 160 minutes will drastically improve injury outcomes. Or cumulatively eliminating 40-50 minutes of playing time over a span of December-February will make a player better in April.

But even if it did, eh f***k it. I hate load management in sports. Play your best players.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Good thing Letang is renown for his good decision making and not the fact that he is a physically gifted athlete with the mind of a hungry golden retriever.
I'm sure if Letang played 5 fewer minutes in favored of Ruhwedel, then this board would ha e applauded the sensibility.

Reactions: Pens x

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Which defenseman would you have played more, on their off side, instead?
Why would they have to play on their off-side? You just let the 2nd pairing take slightly more minutes. :laugh:

What on earth are you even trying to argue?

Are we talking about December 11th and players returning from injury or is this some sort of other argument I haven't been informed about?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why would they have to play on their off-side? You just let the 2nd pairing take slightly more minutes. :laugh:

What on earth are you even trying to argue?

Are we talking about December 11th and players returning from injury or is this some sort of other argument I haven't been informed about?
The argument is about Letang playing too many minutes in his first game back. Petry already played 26 minutes. Who else is taking them?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The argument is about Letang playing too many minutes in his first game back. Petry already played 26 minutes. Who else is taking them?
I had no idea there was a finite amount of minutes one could play in two days. The things I learn here.

Petry played, what? 20 minutes the next night of the B2B anyway. Giving him 21 or 22 and giving Rutta an extra shift here and there too is pretty simple stuff. I don't know where you got the whole off-side thing from, tbh?

If Sully was (very hypothetically here) VERY worried about overusing the old guys, which is a fair cop, I would hope he would look more into scratching one of the horrible forward duds in the bottom 6 and calling up Friedman who can play both sides running 7 blueliners, instead of just letting a known moron like Kris Letang dictate his ice time.

Anyhow, seems to me though that you're less concerned with ways of spreading around ice time and more simply annoyed that anyone points out that Kris Letang is an actual savant who can't figure out how to change a tire or open a can of pudding but can play the hell out of hockey instead of a doctor. :dunno:

But anyway, now that thinking of all the potential ways to shift 1 or 2 minutes was so hard, as a coach I think I deserve to take a 2 month break.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
no GDT yet so I’m going to put this here…lol…the Caps are better defensively than the Pens, better goaltending most likely, and better at finishing, but then again most teams are lol…expect Oshie and Backstrom to return for this game…

Head-to-head​

11caps.JPG

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Again, I know nothing about how to coach a hockey team, so how does one fix the problem of being so consistently bad at finishing? Or is it a personnel issue, being a roster built of guys who just are always going to blow most of their opportunities?

This seems to be a recurring problem for this team.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
no GDT yet so I’m going to put this here…lol…the Caps are better defensively than the Pens, better goaltending most likely, and better at finishing, but then again most teams are lol…expect Oshie and Backstrom to return for this game…

Head-to-head​

11caps.JPG
If the Panthers got 6 on us and CDS, how many will the Caps get? lol
Has a great chance to be an ugly one

Again, I know nothing about how to coach a hockey team, so how does one fix the problem of being so consistently bad at finishing? Or is it a personnel issue, being a roster built of guys who just are always going to blow most of their opportunities?

It's definitely not coaching related, sometimes it also looks easier than it actually is at the speed of the passes, change of directions etc..

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Do you mean certain players who are historically good at finishing and are in a slump? Usually confidence and over thinking things tied together are the main reason.

Honestly though this team needs a new system under a new coach. You might see some role players respond better than in Sully's system.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Finishing has components of 1) lack of shooting talent by individual players, just not good releases, slow release, or lack of creativity in finding shooting lanes etc and 2) the coach’s system/deployment of players…I mean Sullivan trying to get them to dump and chase and cycle the puck to the point for a shot, hoping to get a deflection or rebound, is actually a low percentage shot attempt, and, his north-south play emphasis probably detracts from players with skill making skilled plays…on the other hand, we don’t have enough really skilled shooters on this roster lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad