Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panther | OT win | We are so very special. Our special teams giveth and taketh away

I currently hate _____ on this team more right now:

• Ruh

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • POJ

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • CDS

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Sully

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Write in

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Okay, there were lots of you who were clamoring for more goals. You got it. How do you feel?
Is your viewpoint colored by the fact that the team won; how would you have felt if the Panthers had scored a 7th goal in regulation?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Finally a coach that Sully could outcoach... and we still almost blew it. Not a good sign.

Letang was awesome in attack, obviously, but overall the best thing you could say about the Pens defense is that Dumo wasn't noticeably worse than the rest of it. :)

Rakell has been making a lot of defensive mistakes lately and he was so solid earlier. Maybe he saw that no matter what he isn't going to come out of the top 6 (like Rust), so he doesn't care any more about defense. Funny how Malkin's line allowed three goals despite looking pretty good for most of the game but it did seem like the D fell asleep too, so maybe it's not just a lack of concentration by the forwards.

Would be nice if L1 had scored at 5 on 5 in a wide open game like this, thank goodness Heinen woke up to compensate for that. Then again, it's not easy when the ghost of Rust is on said line.

I don't know what's more miraculous - Heinen's three points or that fact that we scored two one-timers on the PP. Or maybe the fact that the Panthers are an even worse OT team than we are. Maurice is truly a special coach.

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Okay, there were lots of you who were clamoring for more goals. You got it. How do you feel?
Is your viewpoint colored by the fact that the team won; how would you have felt if the Panthers had scored a 7th goal in regulation?
I don’t think anyone was clamoring to play with a MAF 2012 playoff goalie.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
This season has proven an average goalie isn’t enough and Jarry isn’t an average goalie. An average goalie is CDS and he gets murdered with shots and can’t handle it consistently. You asked, the pens answered with unequivocal proof that they need a top tier goalie, hate Jarry all you want but he’s gotten barely a proper chance to rebound. You think one bad round vs the Isles and a game 7 with a broken foot is “let’s call it quits” then you’d hate the situation the pens would be in next season.

They’d need to move heavy assets for a goalie, then take a huge chance on one if there isn’t one available via trade. Blokes act like it’s super f***ing easy. Jarry could stay past the deadline and get wrecked behind a garbage team defense and say f*** this and go play behind a better D and actually win and it’ll be a bunch of told you so bs.

This isn’t Matt Murray where he’s just mentally broken. Jarry and any pens goalie, gets the worst support by their D. Jarry having the stats he does is incredible and the fact that whiners don’t see it is a real tragedy.

In 186 games he’s a career .916sv% behind a defense that is porous and comical to watch trying to defend the crease and high danger scoring chances. Not even Murray, who had some insanely elite seasons early, nor Fleury have a better career save percentage. Or even this season.

.916 - Jarry
.913 - Fleury
.911 - Murray
I believe many Pens fans struggle to properly evaluate goalie talent. Though in fairness it's so difficult with so many factors.

You put Jarry in Boston and he's the vezina leader (health permitting). Teams effect their goalies numbers drastically.

I think Jarry is a top 10 goalie. He just has to get healthy. He's certainly our best shot sans Hextall getting real slick with deals all of a sudden...but I don't think there's a goalie version of Big Jeff so we'll stay put.

I'm guessing a 6.5Mx5yr contract incoming

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This issue is the culture as I said in the GDT. This team is not as bad as they play. Even when they win, they are a bad team. A poorly coached team. This has been the MO of this squad since 87 and 71 took over which is why it is shocking they didn't learn their lesson from hitching on to Bylsma for as long as they did. And look.... Bylsma embarrassed himself everywhere else.

Keeping Sully and going all in with him was a really bad choice. This team plays really poor hockey. Even if Sally's system is perfect, the players refuse to execute.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Penguins fail to bemuse me this season.
Don't care for the hockey.
Don't care for the brand.
:whaaa?:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Penguins fail to bemuse me this season.
Don't care for the hockey.
Don't care for the brand.
:whaaa?:

89cc41bf-3f89-443b-8fc8-64685088b4a1_text.gif

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This issue is the culture as I said in the GDT. This team is not as bad as they play. Even when they win, they are a bad team. A poorly coached team. This has been the MO of this squad since 87 and 71 took over which is why it is shocking they didn't learn their lesson from hitching on to Bylsma for as long as they did. And look.... Bylsma embarrassed himself everywhere else.

Keeping Sully and going all in with him was a really bad choice. This team plays really poor hockey. Even if Sally's system is perfect, the players refuse to execute.

DK had an interesting quote on his podcast yesterday, someone he knows within the organization told him this year's locker room chemistry was really good and really close, as good as the back to back years.

I take it in a few ways, maybe why we (Hextall) are hesitant to move pieces out because of being afraid to **** with that, so as to why the reason to let it ride out.

The other way I take is its gotten way too comfortable and complacent. We need to gut the team out, including the coach.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
2 mins left and a 1 goal lead... Poof

This team needs to learn how to play with a damn lead. Until they do that, they'll never even sniff a Conference Championship series.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
DK had an interesting quote on his podcast yesterday, someone he knows within the organization told him this year's locker room chemistry was really good and really close, as good as the back to back years.

I take it in a few ways, maybe why we (Hextall) are hesitant to move pieces out because of being afraid to **** with that, so as to why the reason to let it ride out.

The other way I take is its gotten way too comfortable and complacent. We need to gut the team out, including the coach.

I think it is a couple of things though

- We are getting older. That is just fact and father time is undefeated.

- We are complacent. We have 3 Cups. That desperation is gone. That should be okay, though. Experience should even the scale.

- Luck and chemistry is a thing in the NHL. That's why teams go on runs and then suck the very next year.

But the one consistency is underperforming and we've seen this with every Penguins coach. I just do not understand why they hitched their wagon to Sully. It makes NO sense.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When I heard UBI for Jarry afterwards, all I could think of was that he got reamed in practice and reported concussion symptoms a few hours later…only thing I can think of UBI-wise where the coach wouldnt know immediately that there was injury but could know hours later that the player needs evaluation and can’t play…

Reactions: Night Shift

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

It's no surprise the locker room is comfy. That's what happens when you bring back the gang, wanting to re-live the triumphs of the past without facing the uncomfortable truth of our failures from the past 5 years.

Keep Sid happy by bringing back 58 and 71, sure, but outside of that ownership can't be afraid to give him a kick in the ass. Guys like Kap are locker-room favorites but were terrible signings otherwise.

Man was DeSmith bad in this one. Tokarski needs a look or two at this point. And DOC once again blew an empty net - luckily he made up for it on the rebound, but christ that looked bad.

This team could be so much better if Rust was pushed down to L3. Imagine if Hextall had the balls to acquire a Meier/Kane, forcing Sully to do so. Would be amazing.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
When I heard UBI for Jarry afterwards, all I could think of was that he got reamed in practice and reported concussion symptoms a few hours later…only thing I can think of UBI-wise where the coach wouldnt know immediately that there was injury but could know hours later that the player needs evaluation and can’t play…

He's worse than Murray with the injuries. He should probably consider a back up role next year on another team.

Reactions: Andy99

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I've seen posts where people said something like 'I'd rather lose 6-5 than 2-1'.
Why?

I haven't even been watching anymore for a few weeks now, because there's no point in watching them constantly play like garbage and embarrass themselves (that, and it's been getting harder to even find a way to watch).

But I also have nothing to contribute about tactics and advanced stats, so it's not like I can suggest any solutions that are actually going to make them watchable this season, either.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Great screen from 87 on that last goal. But man…we have to swap Rust and Rakell back…like a month ago.
The issue with that is that for basically the first time in Malkin's career he is getting preferential treatment over Sid because that 2nd line has looked deadly since put together. I think the reason Rust is on line one is twofold, as I just said the second line is great, but also there is no one else to put in Rust's spot besides Rakell. If KK were healthy, it be worth trying him there for a game or two, but it wouldn't work as a permanent solution.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad