Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Nucks: Sid dining on sushi tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We did last time but won't this year with stuff going on. I have some mates that asked if I was going to come down to Seattle and see it with them and said they had an extra couple for my wife and I but I just don't want to make that drive this time or the short flight. She's been very tired and to fly in for the game and stay at our place before we head back isn't doable for her work this week either. Ah well.

I will say that the shot counter bloke at the game sucks. Jarry faced 38 shots. At one point it went 28 shots then the bloke missed another save and it suddenly went to 27. I was staring at that thing like what the f*** is going on? Literally saw the wave and it wasn't recorded. This irks me because goalies have their save percentage affected greatly from this inaccurate shit.
One of these days I will make the trip out there and catch a couple games. Now with Seattle being in the league, that could make for a fun little trip. Seattle seems like it would be a fun environment.

Yeah I noticed that recently with another game. Wasn't sure if it was the broadcaster who was off or something else.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Puustinen was fun to watch, there was a moment where he had a battle in front of the net with Ian Cole and I guess Cole pissed him off because he gave him a nice sharp whack to the heels before he sped off. Love it.

It's comical Sullivan has tried to just shit all over his usage. And again, he is not bad defensively at all. He was in passing lanes and covering man to man. He had one bad pass that was a turn over after turning over a bad giveaway by Doc immediately before but otherwise he was fantastic, as was Raks.

Smith is just, I miss Zucker. Bemstrom and Puljujaarvi deserved far more ice time than they got. Sid was good but he had 4 giveaways that I can remember, where it was just lazy plays. Pass to nowhere, no attempt to kick the puck up at one point and at times he was cheating up the ice lol. Still a goat. But you'll never hear this from the Crosby dick riders, if Malkin had a game like that you'd hear it the whole season.

One of these days I will make the trip out there and catch a couple games. Now with Seattle being in the league, that could make for a fun little trip. Seattle seems like it would be a fun environment.

Yeah I noticed that recently with another game. Wasn't sure if it was the broadcaster who was off or something else.
Fans are super nice. They're just happy to have a team and there are a lot of Thunderbird and Chiefs fans already so it's great for them to not have to be a fan of the Canucks or some other close by team. But even in my Pens gear, the only grief they gave me was for my Steelers hat, lol. Seahawks fans don't like us and never will. But Penguins? They're cool with us.

Most of the game last time it was just friendly questions about who's this and that and how Seattle has Francis and Botterill and how that is cool as ties to the team with McCann And Tanev etc.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Puustinen was fun to watch, there was a moment where he had a battle in front of the net with Ian Cole and I guess Cole pissed him off because he gave him a nice sharp whack to the heels before he sped off. Love it.

It's comical Sullivan has tried to just shit all over his usage. And again, he is not bad defensively at all. He was in passing lanes and covering man to man. He had one bad pass that was a turn over after turning over a bad giveaway by Doc immediately before but otherwise he was fantastic, as was Raks.

Smith is just, I miss Zucker. Bemstrom and Puljujaarvi deserved far more ice time than they got. Sid was good but he had 4 giveaways that I can remember, where it was just lazy plays. Pass to nowhere, no attempt to kick the puck up at one point and at times he was cheating up the ice lol. Still a goat. But you'll never hear this from the Crosby dick riders, if Malkin had a game like that you'd hear it the whole season.

Fans are super nice. They're just happy to have a team and there are a lot of Thunderbird and Chiefs fans already so it's great for them to not have to be a fan of the Canucks or some other close by team. But even in my Pens gear, the only grief they gave me was for my Steelers hat, lol. Seahawks fans don't like us and never will. But Penguins? They're cool with us.

Most of the game last time it was just friendly questions about who's this and that and how Seattle has Francis and Botterill and how that is cool as ties to the team with McCann And Tanev etc.
Zucker is a heart and soul guy this team badly misses. He was the heartbeat of this team many nights.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zucker is a heart and soul guy this team badly misses. He was the heartbeat of this team many nights.
I would seriously bring him back for Smith asap. Then ride out the season and extend Zucker for 2 years at a decent cap hit (under 5m per). I think just giving Geno that element back and the team would be a huge boost. I loved Zucker on the wild and it sucked how hurt he got but he's been fine since last season for that core/hernia issue.

Also as much as I like Doc. I think he does better on the third line to take advantage of mismatches with Eller. Doc-Eller-Puljujarvi.

Speaking of Pooljuice, he played well, he drew a lot of attention from the Canucks and was making smart plays but barely got 9mins with Bemstrom.

Btw Bemstrom - He's a player that really needs direction. At times you're watching him and he's sort of uncommitted to anywhere on the ice, he makes a move to go somewhere and he just sort of turns back the wrong way or is behind the play, it's like when 5 different people tell someone to do 1 thing but each has their own way to do it and the person is all confused and unsure - Bemstrom is 100% that lad with how he is playing. I think he could work, I don't think Sullivan or anyone on that bench has any sort of coaching style that would help a bloke like that.

Reactions: BillPrep

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I would seriously bring him back for Smith asap. Then ride out the season and extend Zucker for 2 years at a decent cap hit (under 5m per). I think just giving Geno that element back and the team would be a huge boost. I loved Zucker on the wild and it sucked how hurt he got but he's been fine since last season for that core/hernia issue.

Also as much as I like Doc. I think he does better on the third line to take advantage of mismatches with Eller. Doc-Eller-Puljujarvi.

Speaking of Pooljuice, he played well, he drew a lot of attention from the Canucks and was making smart plays but barely got 9mins with Bemstrom.

Btw Bemstrom - He's a player that really needs direction. At times you're watching him and he's sort of uncommitted to anywhere on the ice, he makes a move to go somewhere and he just sort of turns back the wrong way or is behind the play, it's like when 5 different people tell someone to do 1 thing but each has their own way to do it and the person is all confused and unsure - Bemstrom is 100% that lad with how he is playing. I think he could work, I don't think Sullivan or anyone on that bench has any sort of coaching style that would help a bloke like that.
Zucker took a lot of hate because he was "inconsistent" primarily due to injuries. He was a warrior in the playoffs for us. Would of happily kept him on the Pens.

I think Poolparty will fill a roll nicely for us in the bottom 6. He plays the way they want those lines playing, solid in his own zone and good at forechecking. Bemstrom seems very unpolished, not sure Sully is the guy to do that.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Pretty entertaining game to watch and a nice win.
+ The youth guys made a difference with their speed to loose pucks. It´s refreshing to see some guys battling out there and bring some speed. DOC, Puustinen, Benstrom and Puljujarvi all had shifts were they pressured the VAN defense on the forecheck and created chances. Ellers goal does not happen without DOC and Puustinen going full speed on the forecheck
+ Without Jake and Rust the Pens miss two guys who are coasting on a regular base out there. I know they are two of the best wingers, but they are also lazy af.
+ The team needs more youth out there.

- watching the 4th line is like watching cows racing horses.
- Sullivans obsession with Harkins is insane. He should be fired just for playing him one shift on the 2nd line
-

This game should be a very good indicator what this team needs. Young players, who can play a fast brand of hockey and are ready to battle on the ice. The Pens have too many guys on the roster that don't leave it all on the ice. Rust, Jake, Smith, Carter etc. are all prime examples for this. They coast every other shift and it hurts their game. Bring in some youth and suddenly slower guys like Malkin can play to their strength.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zucker took a lot of hate because he was "inconsistent" primarily due to injuries. He was a warrior in the playoffs for us. Would of happily kept him on the Pens.

I think Poolparty will fill a roll nicely for us in the bottom 6. He plays the way they want those lines playing, solid in his own zone and good at forechecking. Bemstrom seems very unpolished, not sure Sully is the guy to do that.
Bemstrom could use time in WBS but they can't waive him. I wonder if there's a way to bench him and then send him on a conditioning stint for a week to get in games in WBS on the top line and then have him back. Probably some rule I'm missing that doesn't allow that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pretty entertaining game to watch and a nice win.
+ The youth guys made a difference with their speed to loose pucks. It´s refreshing to see some guys battling out there and bring some speed. DOC, Puustinen, Benstrom and Puljujarvi all had shifts were they pressured the VAN defense on the forecheck and created chances. Ellers goal does not happen without DOC and Puustinen going full speed on the forecheck
+ Without Jake and Rust the Pens miss two guys who are coasting on a regular base out there. I know they are two of the best wingers, but they are also lazy af.
+ The team needs more youth out there.

- watching the 4th line is like watching cows racing horses.
- Sullivans obsession with Harkins is insane. He should be fired just for playing him one shift on the 2nd line
-

This game should be a very good indicator what this team needs. Young players, who can play a fast brand of hockey and are ready to battle on the ice. The Pens have too many guys on the roster that don't leave it all on the ice. Rust, Jake, Smith, Carter etc. are all prime examples for this. They coast every other shift and it hurts their game. Bring in some youth and suddenly slower guys like Malkin can play to their strength.
I felt bad seeing Carter knowing the GDT was likely trashing him. But he was racing back and kept up behind Hughes and others, but it's not him that is choosing to be played. This was a game where the Canucks did have some trouble with the speed of the youth, so why not dress Phillips over Carter?

Acciari was hilarious in that one sequence, pulled off all these skill moves and then lost the puck, which was like the play you use to show blokes why he's a 4th liner, lol. Harkins was like, there was a wanker we had on the team where we would joke "_____ was there" and that's Harkins. He does nothing important but doesn't do anything bad but he doesn't push the needle in any positive way at all. Even when DOC was hurt and they had Harkins with Geno (yeah....), he did ok in that shift and you were like ok he's playing fine but then you see zero hockey IQ and hockey sense with what to do with the puck, where to go after the board battle, he then throws a random big hit and then goes back to being a useless dipshit.

Dubas' biggest take away should be that he needs to dump as many vets as he can, that need to go and provide Sullivan with only younger players as options, it's the only way Sullivan has no choice but to play them. As you stated, young legs helped tonight a lot.

Reactions: akapidots

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Bemstrom could use time in WBS but they can't waive him. I wonder if there's a way to bench him and then send him on a conditioning stint for a week to get in games in WBS on the top line and then have him back. Probably some rule I'm missing that doesn't allow that.
It would have to be mutually agreed between player and team, he would also still count as a roster player and take up cap space. Doubtful the team goes that direction.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It would have to be mutually agreed between player and team, he would also still count as a roster player and take up cap space. Doubtful the team goes that direction.
I think maybe swapping him with Smith would be a better move to see how that would work. Sid could force it out of him to rely on instinct's and not be in your own head too much, which could help a bloke like that.

Rakell, Crosby, Bemstrom
O'Connor, Malkin, Puustinen
Smith, Eller, Puljujarvi
Acciari, Gruden, Phillips/Hinostroza

Edit:

Honestly I'm at a point where I would just start calling up blokes from WBS for that 4th line LW job - Joshua, Zohorna, Koppanen, etc. Joshua, if he can be a late bloomer like his brother and is one of those "decent in the AHL, better in the NHL in that physical winger role" why not? Even for 2 games, it'd bring energy to a line that sucks the energy out of the team.

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sid was good but he had 4 giveaways that I can remember, where it was just lazy plays. Pass to nowhere, no attempt to kick the puck up at one point and at times he was cheating up the ice lol. Still a goat. But you'll never hear this from the Crosby dick riders, if Malkin had a game like that you'd hear it the whole season.
Geno has games that are worse than the one Sid played tonight all the time and you only hear it from like 2 or 3 posters in the PGT, but no one really says anything beyond that. I think you're making up enemies in your mind now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Geno has games that are worse than the one Sid played tonight all the time and you only hear it from like 2 or 3 posters in the PGT, but no one really says anything beyond that. I think you're making up enemies in your mind now.
I think most here have been commenting about how Malkin has looked this season and even as a huge Malkin supporter, I can't even deny he looks off. I think the constant attempts to make hasbeens look good on his wing this season has f***ed with his head to the point where he's making dumb plays that were usually automatic for him and he's slowly playing better but it's not like he doesn't have his criticism by fans here and most definitely not by the Pens media which have been consistently trashing Geno for his game, being too old, etc.

The point was, even Sid has these issues, it's more glaring when you don't have Rust and Jake there with him, thank goodness Rakell has always been the right fit for Sid because if he wasn't on the team right now, this would be very bad.

Sid & Geno deserve better than what Sullivan has become for a long time now. Funny how we all hated how Bylsma was wasting years and now we have Sullivan doing Guantanamo mind f***ery on Geno and most of this roster but thankfully Sid is just Sid and isn't affected.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
We will probably need Geno to wake up and step up now. Especially if DOC is injured. I mean, if Eller can step up too, why not Geno. 10 games witout a goal, we need him now with all those injuries. Not sure who else. Running out of bodies.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
I think the Penguins are very capable of making the playoffs but not as Wildcard and at being the 3rd division winner instead. Flyers will choke. Of course this is all according to what happens at the trade deader.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
We will probably need Geno to wake up and step up now. Especially if DOC is injured. I mean, if Eller can step up too, why not Geno. 10 games witout a goal, we need him now with all those injuries. Not sure who else. Running out of bodies.
Don't expect Geno to wake up unless he gets some linemates

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Had to go bed after the 2nd - responsible parent and what not - so I was pleasantly surprised this morning. Lord knows this team has issues, but we also have total studs who can just make things happen. The emotional whiplash following this team is too much!!

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I think the Penguins are very capable of making the playoffs but not as Wildcard and at being the 3rd division winner instead. Flyers will choke. Of course this is all according to what happens at the trade deader.
That’s the thing. For as annoying as they’ve been someone has to finish 3rd in the Metro and the Flyers both just aren’t that good and appear to be focused on rebuilding more than making the playoffs. It’s very much attainable.

Reactions: Wattsburgh

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Hear me out…. What if we were peaking at the right time? :sarcasm: :laugh:
You just knew that they would win leading up to the TDL to keep the status quo. They'll be right back to lifeless hockey as soon as the deadline passes.

Crazy how the Pens & Steelers mirror each other right now; Coaching to overpaying Vets to poor asset management.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Why does it take an injury crisis for the team to show some character?

Almost managed to ruin a good performance with going back to the bad power play habits after the second Rakell goal but then a miracle happened - a tying goal thanks to screening the goalie and to the surprise of everyone, dominating the OT. Now, if only we could try this screening the goalie thing on the PP. We signed Pool Party, why not try him for that since size is kind of the only thing he has nowadays?

Big Puusty is legit, very unlucky not to score but one of our most noticeable players. Rakell not being a ghost makes a lot of difference. EK65 on the PP... so careless he sometimes makes Letang at his worst look cautious, I want to blame coaching but it can't be just that. But the zone entries where it seems like these players have never played together - that's on coaching. It's insane that a team with so much experience and whose stars have played together for so long can't do the simplest of things when it comes to zone entries.

Jarry is showing an ability to bounce back after bad games/goals against that he didn't have before. Unlucky for him that it might well be for naught since the offense was a joke for months and the PP is an abomination but what can you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad