Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Leafs: Spanking, Canada's revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
You guys haven't figured out what Dubas is yet?

He's a mannequin with glasses who can talk his way in and out of any situation

Sports... politics.. entertainment... doesn't matter, he puts on his make up, his glasses, his sweaters and suits, and he's ready for the cameras. That's where he convinces everyone that he's the most intelligent well-spoken man on the entire planet by speaking perfect sentences, phrases and paragraphs for the cameras and leaves everyone in awe. It's his thick-framed glasses that throws all of you off.

Bottom line is, this is just a guy who talks his way in and out of everything. Just pay attention. He's the most classic bullsh&tter of all time by the way he speaks. He's not doing anything, he just talks. His time will run out; he's still young but that runs out and by that time his game will be over. He has no place in the world of hockey lol, you have just been fooled into believing that. He's that 1/100 that can trick you into believing anything just by the way he talks.

A losing record back this up.
What’s he supposed to do? He’s not allowed to trade anyone with value. Shuffling bottom six deck chairs around with no cap space won’t make any kind of impact. He could fire the coach but maybe he’s not allowed to do that either.

When the mandate is to keep squeezing blood from an aging, capped out stone what realistic moves can Dubas or any other insert-name-here GM realistically make.

Reactions: Josey Wales

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I agree that a rebuild isn't happening and as I have said before I am perfectly fine with that. Winners are built on drafting and development, not stockpiling draft picks. The concern I have is that this organization hasn't really developed much at all since Jake and Rust came up from the minors.

That is honestly the biggest issue I see at play here. If the organization since 2017 had been developing talent to supplement the aging core things would be fine and I'd use Boston as my example of this.

Even when the Pens built a winner in 09, the high draft pick stars were surrounded by a bunch of guys who were savvy trade acquisitions and guys who the Pens drafted in later rounds that became NHL talent.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Sports... politics.. entertainment... doesn't matter, he puts on his make up, his glasses, his sweaters and suits, and he's ready for the cameras. That's where he convinces everyone that he's the most intelligent well-spoken man on the entire planet by speaking perfect sentences, phrases and paragraphs for the cameras and leaves everyone in awe. It's his thick-framed glasses that throws all of you off.

Bottom line is, this is just a guy who talks his way in and out of everything. Just pay attention. He's the most classic bullsh&tter of all time by the way he speaks. He's not doing anything, he just talks. His time will run out; he's still young but that runs out and by that time his game will be over. He has no place in the world of hockey lol, you have just been fooled into believing that. He's that 1/100 that can trick you into believing anything just by the way he talks.

Why does every Leafs fan talk about Dubas like they're some bitter, jilted lover who got dumped? :laugh: If you thought he was gonna be your franchise savior who makes the Leafs relevant for the first time in like 60 years, that's on you.

This team's been circling the drain for years because of JR, Hextall and Sullivan. Poor coaching, poor supporting cast, abysmal drafting/development for nearly a decade. It is what it is. Dubas just kinda exists, nobody here thought he was gonna come in and turn things around.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why does every Leafs fan talk about Dubas like they're some bitter, jilted lover who got dumped? :laugh: If you thought he was gonna be your franchise savior who makes the Leafs relevant for the first time in like 60 years, that's on you.

This team's been circling the drain for years because of JR, Hextall and Sullivan. Poor coaching, poor supporting cast, abysmal drafting/development for nearly a decade. It is what it is. Dubas just kinda exists, nobody here thought he was gonna come in and turn things around.
He assembled a disastrous bottom six.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I agree that a rebuild isn't happening and as I have said before I am perfectly fine with that. Winners are built on drafting and development, not stockpiling draft picks. The concern I have is that this organization hasn't really developed much at all since Jake and Rust came up from the minors.

That is honestly the biggest issue I see at play here. If the organization since 2017 had been developing talent to supplement the aging core things would be fine and I'd use Boston as my example of this.

Even when the Pens built a winner in 09, the high draft pick stars were surrounded by a bunch of guys who were savvy trade acquisitions and guys who the Pens drafted in later rounds that became NHL talent.
Agree with this. All the years of going for it and trading away draft picks have caught up. But even so, this org hasn’t developed any later round draft picks either which is concerning (and another reason to can Sullivan). I’d argue Washington is another example of a franchise that has done well with developing their prospects.

Reactions: Andy99

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

This is completely true.

His big move, the Karlsson trade, likely roots back to his Toronto days.

I liked most every move Dubas made at first (though the Jarry contract was a serious red flag) but really getting tired of his sneer politician approach on camera.

I checked out as a fan this year when he answered those questions about Sullivan's invincible job security as HC.

Jansen friggin Harkens dude

Reactions: Darren McCord

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is completely true.

His big move, the Karlsson trade, likely roots back to his Toronto days.

I liked most every move Dubas made at first (though the Jarry contract was a serious red flag) but really getting tired of his sneer politician approach on camera.

I checked out as a fan this year when he answered those questions about Sullivan's invincible job security as HC.

Jansen friggin Harkens dude
not defending anyone here but is Dubas' fault that one of the best offensive defensman ever that he brought in looks like a shadow of himself, or a guy that was atop 6 player on a team that just won Stanley Cup looks like has no idea what he is suppose to do on this team, night in night out, or that supposedly defensive bottom 6 can't forecheck nor can stop anyone skating through NZ, or that our only way out of our zone is some rediculous pass to our forward standing on the wall completely blanketed by an opposing dman, or ........

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Dubas deserves criticism for not recognizing the problems this team has with coaching, for sure. But pointing out Sullivan is the root of the problem isn't really a defense of Dubas per se, I think, it's more that we're finally acknowledging that our problems did not appear with hiring Dubas.

And lol, as much as Lemieux was responsible for the country club, I do not think the old ownership group would have been dumb enough to lock Dubas and Sullivan into those dumb extensions, let alone Carter.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not to defend Kyle Calculations, but every GM since 2019 has assembled a disastrous bottom six. We all know what the common factor there is.
A decent amount of posters seemed to think Dubas was going to come in here and take charge and build a roster his way and Sully would fall in line or be replaced.

He’s now a very rich nerd who relies on the same data as Sullivan to come up with excuses of why his teams lose. Thats it.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
not defending anyone here but is Dubas' fault that one of the best offensive defensman ever that he brought in looks like a shadow of himself, or a guy that was atop 6 player on a team that just won Stanley Cup looks like has no idea what he is suppose to do on this team, night in night out, or that supposedly defensive bottom 6 can't forecheck nor can stop anyone skating through NZ, or that our only way out of our zone is some rediculous pass to our forward standing on the wall completely blanketed by an opposing dman, or ........
Sounds like a team that needs a coaching change as a saving grace. If the org doesn't let him then say it then. Say "The org believes Sully is the coach". Don't feed us this bullshit that "Do i believe Sully is the future ??? Yes of course i do!"

I mostly just agree with this guy about Dubas putting on the politician face in his interviews. We saw a distinct shift from interview to interview (he knocked the park out of the 1st one, then his second was questionable). This last one about Sully was just nauseating.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
A decent amount of posters seemed to think Dubas was going to come in here and take charge and build a roster his way and Sully would fall in line or be replaced.

He’s now a very rich nerd who relies on the same data as Sullivan to come up with excuses of why his teams lose. Thats it.
Yeah, I give massive side eye to any "data-driven" moneyball bullshit these days and mostly because the results look exactly like this team.

People should be shoving the stats dorks into more lockers.

While we're vivisecting this horrible team, I'd like to point out most of our decline into unwatchable boring hockey accelerated with the new ownership, who doesn't get their share of the blame IMO.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I give massive side eye to any "data-driven" moneyball bullshit these days and mostly because the results look exactly like this team.

While we're vivisecting this horrible team, I'd like to point out most of our decline into unwatchable boring hockey accelerated with the new ownership, who doesn't get their share of the blame IMO.
what data? When you are .500 team and your goalies are among the best in NHL at saves above expected (don't need data to realize that) you are bad team playing bad hockey and getting lucky that you are around .500. If Sullyvan is still coaching this team on Monday, the season is over,

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
Just stop with the rebuild shit. It ain't happening. The only tradeable piece is Jake and he is going nowhere as long as Sid is here and he is not going anywhere. When Sid retires the rebuild begins. The core did not resign at hometown discounts to be traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well if the rebuild is an impossibility (it is, always has been) then I hope Geno retires with Sid after next season and forces the team into it.

Cuz it's worse watching this team flounder about pitifully with these guys than it is to watch them ride off into retirement. :laugh:

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

FSG does deserve their share of blame for putting all of their eggs in the Sullivan basket but considering the age of our core players and everything else, Mario really got out at the right time. Extremely smart by him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I f***ing despise Sullivan. He is a f***ing moron. He is a complete failure in every regard. He is a fraud.

And Dubas is marginally better, if at all.

But hey, we've got Puljujarvi with his deteriorated hips on a tryout and zero-goal Rakell is about to return. Certainly that will help!

Every aspect of the PFO needs to be gutted. From management to coaching to scouting, this team is AHL-caliber.
•young players never get better under Sullivan
•older players brought in from other teams always get worse - Karlsson , Smith, Rackell , Petry , Graves just to name a few.

Sully might have been the right coach for this team years ago........but today, I could coach this team better.

Even if he had something to say .....Pens players aren't listening. It will be interesting to see where this coachless team goes.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
FSG does deserve their share of blame for putting all of their eggs in the Sullivan basket but considering the age of our core players and everything else, Mario really got out at the right time. Extremely smart by him.
Yeah, I don't know if he'd be able to navigate the pitfalls of a rebuilding club (having been through it though with Gen-X, at least he'd have some experience there), but I can't blame him for selling high and getting out.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
what data? When you are .500 team and your goalies are among the best in NHL at saves above expected (don't need data to realize that) you are bad team playing bad hockey and getting lucky that you are around .500. If Sullyvan is still coaching this team on Monday, the season is over,
I mean, I get that, but has there ever been an NHL team that moneyball'd their way to exciting hockey?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This was from Martin Jones last night lol…par for the course all season: “They are a high-volume shot team,” Jones said to the Canadian Press. “They throw a lot of pucks on net. But there weren’t a lot of dangerous situations.”

also…please fire the damn coach already!

My poor eyes hurt and my brain is (probably perpetually) damaged from watching the Steelers and Penguins yesterday….honestly think the Pens may be worse…

if your name is Mike and you “coach” a Pittsburgh team, you’re on my shit list!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad