Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs --- THIS IS IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Definitely needs to be changes after this season regardless of losing to Mont or coming back.

Marleau was completely useless. Sheary is too small to be on a top line. Jack Johnson is one of the worst players all time statistically

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why do I get the feeling Johnson will be benched for today's game? Wouldn't be surprised though if the only lineup change we'll see is McCann for Lafferty.

Because you've fallen prey to baseless hopeful foolishness.

ET4ESFW.gif[img]

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Would it be outside the realm of possibility for Jarry to start and win Game 4 and look really good in the process, only for Sullivan to go back to Murray for Game 5 since they're back-to-back? That sounds really stupid on the surface, but Sullivan has been on a real stubborn streak lately so I can't fully rule that possibility out.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
None of this is on Rutherford. I gotta give him some love. He gave us the deepest forward group we've had since 93 IMO...at least on paper. I mean look who's on the 4th line. The defense is pretty legit too, especially when they play Riikola instead of JJ and Petts is playing up to his capabilities. It's not the Predators blue line but it's a damn sight better than we're used to over the years.

Sullivan has full authority with line-up decisions. Rutherford doesn't interfere. This is on him. Not playing our better goalie was his choice. Throwing JJ into a do or die series over Riikola was his choice. Allowing Recchi to run the PP all year without making drastic changes was his decision.

Sullivan's lost his edge. In his first few years, there was fire in his eyes. His team was ready to run through a wall for him. Now he looks all glum and impassive all the time. He's satisfied with what he's accomplished. Many players are. They are not willing to go the extra mile anymore. His message has worn thin.

I remember in the series against the Jackets when we were leading 3-0. Sullivan took Ian Cole aside in game 4 and screamed in his face for f***ing up. The coach wasn't willing to give the opposition an inch. He wanted the sweep. The team SNAPPED to attention and they almost rallied and took it.

That's hunger. That's what's missing now. Him doing something like that in 2020 is unthinkable. He just rolls over. The players no longer fear/respect him to anywhere near that level. They feel safe. Comfortable. That was on display in game 3 after we took that 3-1 lead, and there was no accountability for taking their foot off the gas.

I very much respect everything Sullivan's done for this organization. Coaches just have short shelf lives here. It's the natural order with this core, historically. It's diminishing returns every year.

Yes, our core is old and we can expect them to regress. We can expect them to have off nights more and more frequently. But it's not like Rutherford hasn't provided pieces to counteract that. You got some baller 4th liners in Tanev and Blueger. You got Jake locked up long term. You got Zucker for 3 more years after this. You got Rust playing out of his mind. You still got Hornqvist and McCann on the 3rd line.

That's just the forwards. The team should be better than this crap. Montreal is not a great team in any way. They should have been flattened. The reason they're not is simply because of poor coaching.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Win or lose,
I just hope some team out there drunk enough to want a shiny new Jack Johnson. I've just grown tired of looking at him, I seriously want to puke anytime he's on the ice or I hear his name in any context. I don't think I've outright hated a player to the extent I hate him since Ian Moran.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
None of this is on Rutherford. I gotta give him some love. He gave us the deepest forward group we've had since 93 IMO...at least on paper. I mean look who's on the 4th line. The defense is pretty legit too, especially when they play Riikola instead of JJ and Petts is playing up to his capabilities. It's not the Predators blue line but it's a damn sight better than we're used to over the years.

Sullivan has full authority with line-up decisions. Rutherford doesn't interfere. This is on him. Not playing our better goalie was his choice. Throwing JJ into a do or die series over Riikola was his choice. Allowing Recchi to run the PP all year without making drastic changes was his decision.

Sullivan's lost his edge. In his first few years, there was fire in his eyes. His team was ready to run through a wall for him. Now he looks all glum and impassive all the time. He's satisfied with what he's accomplished. Many players are. They are not willing to go the extra mile anymore. His message has worn thin.

I remember in the series against the Jackets when we were leading 3-0. Sullivan took Ian Cole aside in game 4 and screamed in his face for f***ing up. The coach wasn't willing to give the opposition an inch. He wanted the sweep. The team SNAPPED to attention and they almost rallied and took it.

That's hunger. That's what's missing now. Him doing something like that in 2020 is unthinkable. He just rolls over. The players no longer fear/respect him to anywhere near that level. They feel safe. Comfortable. That was on display in game 3 after we took that 3-1 lead, and there was no accountability for taking their foot off the gas.

I very much respect everything Sullivan's done for this organization. Coaches just have short shelf lives here. It's the natural order with this core, historically. It's diminishing returns every year.

Yes, our core is old and we can expect them to regress. We can expect them to have off nights more and more frequently. But it's not like Rutherford hasn't provided pieces to counteract that. You got some baller 4th liners in Tanev and Blueger. You got Jake locked up long term. You got Zucker for 3 more years after this. You got Rust playing out of his mind. You still got Hornqvist and McCann on the 3rd line.

That's just the forwards. The team should be better than this crap. Montreal is not a great team in any way. They should have been flattened. The reason they're not is simply because of poor coaching.

I tend to agree, although acquiring Marleau and re-acquiring Sheary at the deadline was completely unnecessary.

You're point about the players not fearing or respecting Sullivan indicates there's too much of a comfort level between him and certain players despite the results not being there in the last 9 playoff games dating back to the 2018 series against Washington. If this keeps continuing, doesn't the GM have to take some blame for at the very least not getting rid of certain players that the coach is showing favoritism towards? That was certainly part of the downfall of Ray Shero. Hopefully Rutherford doesn't let that go beyond this season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I tend to agree, although acquiring Marleau and re-acquiring Sheary at the deadline was completely unnecessary.

You're point about the players not fearing or respecting Sullivan indicates there's too much of a comfort level between him and certain players despite the results not being there in the last 9 playoff games dating back to the 2018 series against Washington. If this keeps continuing, doesn't the GM have to take some blame for at the very least not getting rid of certain players that the coach is showing favoritism towards? That was certainly part of the downfall of Ray Shero. Hopefully Rutherford doesn't let that go beyond this season.
Yeah but the reason there's comfort now is because Sullivan has allowed loyalty and emotions to creep into his line-up decisions and the way he talks to players during the game. It wasn't like that before. Everyone was equal, or at least close to it.

Yes, Rutherford should take some blame for those trades. They were unnecessary. Kahun was the better player and far, far cheaper. But they're not back breakers in any way. All Sullivan has to do is throw Sheary and Marleau into the bottom 6. They are still serviceable. Why is Sheary on the first line? How many times has he lost puck battles, gotten bodied, fallen over for no reason, or fumbled the puck in this series? He made one very good rush and play on Zucker's goal. Is that enough to justify him being a lock on that line for the rest of the playoffs? We have McCann rotting on the 3rd line, which has no chemistry. Hornqvist isn't doing much there either. Hell, why not throw Tanev up on L1?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Win or lose,
I just hope some team out there drunk enough to want a shiny new Jack Johnson. I've just grown tired of looking at him, I seriously want to puke anytime he's on the ice or I hear his name in any context. I don't think I've outright hated a player to the extent I hate him since Ian Moran.

Well it appears the cap isn't going to go up next year so dumping JJ is going to be problematic
Can we buy him out?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Watching some of these other games and basically every other team looks leaps and bounds better than the Penguins. Faster, more skilled, more interested. I’m fine if they lose today or tomorrow. Let there be a reckoning and hopefully the 1st overall. They’re not beating anyone else even if they beat the Habs.
Right now, yeah. Earlier this year they looked like the fastest, most skilled and hungriest team in the league. They have it in them. It just needs to come out

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah but the reason there's comfort now is because Sullivan has allowed loyalty and emotions to creep into his line-up decisions and the way he talks to players during the game. It wasn't like that before. Everyone was equal, or at least close to it.

Yes, Rutherford should take some blame for those trades. They were unnecessary. Kahun was the better player and far, far cheaper. But they're not back breakers in any way. All Sullivan has to do is throw Sheary and Marleau into the bottom 6. They are still serviceable. Why is Sheary on the first line? How many times has he lost puck battles, gotten bodied, fallen over for no reason, or fumbled the puck in this series? He made one very good rush and play on Zucker's goal. Is that enough to justify him being a lock on that line for the rest of the playoffs? We have McCann rotting on the 3rd line, which has no chemistry. Hornqvist isn't doing much there either. Hell, why not throw Tanev up on L1?

Sheary is on the 1st line because that's what Crosby wants. It's okay for Crosby to have preferences, but when they don't work the coach needs to be able to tell him "no."

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sullivan's coaching decisions, most especially regarding lineup choices/scratches, are terrible. No arguing that.

JR built a hollow, shitty lineup that's missing several key components. He pulled his attention in too many directions, trying to find all these players to fix to boost his ego, while spending the last several years trying to replace Bonino--which he still hasn't done. He's spent a boatload of time and assets trying to fix that one, single issue and we've got guys who aren't even in the lineup to show for it. That's not even touching on his idiotic Reaves, Pearson, Gudbranson, JJ, etc. stuff in recent years.

JR is a trashcan, and I hope he's fired this summer. This team's needed a new set of eyes and a more defined approach to how it's built for years. If Sully has to leave as well, so be it. I'd be entirely fine with Gallant, if he's available and interested. But good lord, fire JR already. This team's got some good to great players, but there's no substance or depth beyond a handful of guys. That third line is a shitshow. The fourth line is a defensive unit with absolutely zero offensive potential. The bottom pairing on the blueline is embarrassing. :laugh:

It's not a big surprise we're struggling, and we've got one win in the last 10 or so playoff games. This isn't a big mystery. The roster is a few gems propped up by some junkyard trash.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Agreed.

I think that's part of it. Another part could be Sheary is married to Sullivan's niece. Preferential treatment.

I completely forgot about that. I'd like to think that wasn't a factor in Rutherford re-acquiring him at the deadline and Sullivan keeping him nailed to the top line, but honestly I don't know.

Along with quite a few other personnel moves, Rutherford really needs to not offer Sheary and Simon new contracts in the off season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I completely forgot about that. I'd like to think that wasn't a factor in Rutherford re-acquiring him at the deadline and Sullivan keeping him nailed to the top line, but honestly I don't know.

Along with quite a few other personnel moves, Rutherford really needs to not offer Sheary and Simon new contracts in the off season.
Yeah, I don't think that's why we brought him back. We got him back because of 2 reasons in my mind:

1) Jake was hurt and looking to be out for the playoffs. Rutherford wanted someone on Sid's wing who he had former chemistry with.

2) This one's the bigger reason. GMJR felt the need to make a change for change's sake at the deadline. He forced it, because he has a reputation of being an active dealer to uphold. He wasn't able to get a defenseman like he wanted so this was the only thing he could manage on short notice, using his connection with Botterill to do it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The team is listless. JR deserves some blame, but changing out a few complimentary wingers and some 3rd pair defensemen isn't going to do much. They've looked dead for 2 playoff series in a row. That falls mostly on the head coach.

Reactions: domaug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad