Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs --- THIS IS IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
That Power play today was a 0/10 and that’s being disrespectful to the number 0. Truly horrendous and they have 3 days to fix it. GL.

Thought the team looked like they have become old. Might just be the style Philly was playing or the lay-off and Ice condition. Regardless they looked slow.

Was nice to watch a hockey game today though. I sure hope they can go at least a couple rounds to pass some time.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That Power play today was a 0/10 and that’s being disrespectful to the number 0. Truly horrendous and they have 3 days to fix it. GL.

Thought the team looked like they have become old. Might just be the style Philly was playing or the lay-off and Ice condition. Regardless they looked slow.

Was nice to watch a hockey game today though. I sure hope they can go at least a couple rounds to pass some time.
I was told they never looked faster in training camp.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm going to withhold judgment on how they perform until the games matter. Exhibition games are typically a way for players to just get their skating legs and timing going, not necessarily to play at their best and give it their 110%.

If the Pens look slow and/or sloppy/disinterested on Saturday, then that's a major concern.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Watching it now on NHL network. Looks like an exhibition game. Not very sharp, nobody is going balls to the wall, so it's hard to get anything from it.

As for the PP.....ummm, maybe they were hiding the secret strategies for the real games.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Interesting split of opinions between the neutrals up in the main forums and up here. Lot of them seemed to think it was pretty good hockey all round.

Not sure I'd go that far but that third period form was certainly good enough to beat most teams in the league if held up for most of the game. Tbh, I thought the overall performance was - after all, we went 2-2 against one of the league's stronger sides and created slightly better chances. One bounce different (or one suicide pass less) we win that. I'd like to perform more convincingly but I think the baseline is higher than some were saying. Again, particularly third period.

Except for the PP. The PP was gross.

Pinch of salt of salt, but no team had a higher 5v5 xGF than us last night, nor lower than the Flyers...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The one thing I miss about the Dominiks is the fact they both were good at managing/holding onto the puck and keeping control of the play. Puck possession was a big contributing factor to our success. I'm not sure where we're at in that regard. Particularly our third line. That line didn't do much as it pertains to generating zone time, cycling or maintaining possession. One game though, so certainly not the end of the world. But I'm not really sure what the identity of that line is. I wish we had Simon as an option here, never thought I'd say that, but here we are.

Reactions: Andy99

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
A major problem with the PP is that once Gonchar was gone besides Schultz for a brief moment we have had nobody to play the point. None of these guys are a threat up top or even more so can even get a shot on net. Letang on the PP is honestly like watching a live blooper loop.

Line 3 didn’t do much for me. Mcann really needs to pick his game up. Line 4 looked more dangerous although Teddy missed a few golden opportunities.

Thought the D overall was solid.

Both Goalies played well. 1st goal was a lucky bounce and the other two were basically breakaways.

Geno is our best player by a long shot right now. Although he did make a horrible decision for goal 2 against. He needs to be the featured line for Sully. Sid isn’t healthy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting split of opinions between the neutrals up in the main forums and up here. Lot of them seemed to think it was pretty good hockey all round.

Not sure I'd go that far but that third period form was certainly good enough to beat most teams in the league if held up for most of the game. Tbh, I thought the overall performance was - after all, we went 2-2 against one of the league's stronger sides and created slightly better chances. One bounce different (or one suicide pass less) we win that. I'd like to perform more convincingly but I think the baseline is higher than some were saying. Again, particularly third period.

Except for the PP. The PP was gross.

Pinch of salt of salt, but no team had a higher 5v5 xGF than us last night, nor lower than the Flyers...

You have to realize that HFPens is insanely jaded and will complain about almost anything :laugh:

If the Penguins play an entire series like that minus the dumb turnovers (specifically ones like the Malkin turnover), they'll easily beat the Habs and will probably beat the Flyers. It may not be enough to beat the Bruins and Lightning, you definitely need a functional PP to win those series, but it's at least enough to get to the 2nd or 3rd round.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You have to realize that HFPens is insanely jaded and will complain about almost anything :laugh:

If the Penguins play an entire series like that minus the dumb turnovers (specifically ones like the Malkin turnover), they'll easily beat the Habs and will probably beat the Flyers. It may not be enough to beat the Bruins and Lightning, you definitely need a functional PP to win those series, but it's at least enough to get to the 2nd or 3rd round.

Yeah, I think we are being overly negative.

But hey, that's us ;)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll admit that I wasn't watching super closely, but one thing that looked really encouraging yesterday is how normal Murray looked. I thought he looked extremely composed, he wasn't flopping around and he wasn't spitting rebounds everywhere. Although that also could be due to the Penguins defense, I thought the team looked extremely solid defensively yesterday.

I did think Jarry looked better, but Murray definitely looked solid and I don't have concerns with him starting game 1. I do think he should have a short leash though, because Jarry is definitely capable as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I know :laugh: But sometime it's nice to bring a little perspective to it.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, from a Pittsburgh perspective - you just need whichever goalie is less likely to give up a bad goal. Montreal doesn't have the elite talent or offense to manufacture a lot of grade A scoring chances and require volume shooting to create chances around the net.

So the less those hope and prayer shots have a chance of going in, the less likely Montreal can get on the board. I do really hope you guys get your PP in order for the play-in round, Montreal doesn't have a great penalty kill or power play, so if you can get the edge there, along with the talent discrepancy, shouldn't be an issue.

Price did look good for us last night, which will make things closer than they seem. Although I was encouraged by Murray and Jarry, both looked like they could take the net and not fumble.

If Sullivan was paying attention, Suzuki is our most potent offensive threat, so smothering him should be the main key.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It was a tune up game and chance to play against someone else. The play was pretty good and I expect when the bell rings, we will see a ramping up in both energy and intensity. Sid will be the wild card here. If he is close to what he was before the injury, Pens in a walk. If not, Pens win but Malkin has to be in beast mode. I also think Marino is becoming a top pair d man and makes the Pens much better than most think on the back end.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It may be reading too much into 1 scrimmage, but here's how Montreal did last night in their match-up against Toronto:

-56% CF% but only 50% xGF% and 27% HDCF%
-The Habs top line (Tatar-Danault-Gallagher): 1 GF, 3 GA and okay xGF% (varied between 47% and 56% for each guy)
-All of the Habs D except for Weber, Petry and Chiarot got slaughtered, and Petry was only okay
-The Habs 3rd line (Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Byron) dominated the Leafs
-The Habs as a team gave up a lot of high danger chances and Price did terribly on them (5 stops on 9 high danger chances)

Yeah, I'm really not worried about the Habs. They only have 1 dangerous line, and that line isn't going to be amazing every game going up against either Crosby or Malkin. Price isn't what he once was. Their defense has like 2 great guys and 1 good guy, but that's really about it.

With looking at the Penguins analytics from yesterday, what's kinda funny is that Johnson-Schultz was utterly dominant analytically (like 83% xGF%) and ended up a +1. If you can get that bottom pair to do that twice in a series, you're in a great position IMO.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, from a Pittsburgh perspective - you just need whichever goalie is less likely to give up a bad goal. Montreal doesn't have the elite talent or offense to manufacture a lot of grade A scoring chances and require volume shooting to create chances around the net.

So the less those hope and prayer shots have a chance of going in, the less likely Montreal can get on the board. I do really hope you guys get your PP in order for the play-in round, Montreal doesn't have a great penalty kill or power play, so if you can get the edge there, along with the talent discrepancy, shouldn't be an issue.

Price did look good for us last night, which will make things closer than they seem. Although I was encouraged by Murray and Jarry, both looked like they could take the net and not fumble.

If Sullivan was paying attention, Suzuki is our most potent offensive threat, so smothering him should be the main key.

I think the coaches' thinking here might be less who'll give up a bad goal, and more who'll start getting nervous if they do. I think that's why they favour Murray - he's not been at that level consistently for a while but they know dialed in Murray stays very calm. Jarry's not got that record. As long as they think they have dialed in Murray they'll stick with him. Not 100% certain they've got that but not 100% certain they don't.

PP will probably be crap until they change personnel, but good news is I doubt Sully will be too patient.

Historically Sully and Julien seem happy to go best on best so I'm expecting Suzuki to see a lot of Malkin and a fairly even spread from the other lines, which seems a bit do or die from our perspective - if Malkin gets going and starts being a neutral zone hound and creating a ton of transition opportunities from missed Suzuki chances, that might be the series. If they cancel out, that gets a little dangerous. I'd like Sully to try and game the match-ups more, but not expecting it. I guess the good news is all the lines are pretty smothering when on?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Both teams looked like they were in slow motion, at least the first 2 periods - I wasn’t able to watch the third period.

I’m glad no one was hurt in a meaningless game, but I hope they play a little better before Saturday.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nah, it was 4 of their defenders. They ran with 7 D last night, and Kulak, Mete, Ouellett and Fleury got smacked around.

Chiarot-Weber was good, Petry was okay and the other 4 D got hammered.

One of their Athletic beat writers has talked about leaning on Chiarot-Weber and Petry heavily (which probably means Petry sees plenty of two partners).

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
I wonder if playing a hand full of games before the next round will be a good thing for us. We will have some games to work out some kinks. Where as whokev we play next will have only had one game to get the Ball rollin'

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One of their Athletic beat writers has talked about leaning on Chiarot-Weber and Petry heavily (which probably means Petry sees plenty of two partners).

Yeah, that's what their ice time on the season suggests they'll do. The good thing is that any D partner that they'll put with Petry has no business in being a top-4 D, so Petry's ability to be a shutdown D will be limited by that.

Their top-4 is basically the Penguins top-4 if it didn't have Dumoulin.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Three days to fix the powerplay?

How about most of the last decade?

As an aside was I the only one cringing at the canned cheering especially after goals? Knowing how fake it was just made it sad and embarrassing.

The only hope is that they get hot and out talent all of the problems with the PP for a stretch. There’s nothing new about it being a mess.

I was okay with the crowd noise as background sound but it was bad when a goal got scored.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From looking at the other 4 cup runs the Penguins have had with Crosby, their powerplay in the playoffs ranges from between 20% and 23%, with 2 runs at 20%, one run at 22% and one run at 23%. They were at 19.91% this year. Their powerplay really needs to just be as good as it was in the regular season, which was below NHL average.

Even strength play is a much bigger deal, which the Penguins obviously have.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad