Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Devil| loss | Be nice if our bottom 6 was even close to useful

Who is worst:

• Total voters

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They would really have to suck to not make it. That being said, someone should let them know that games in hand are only useful if you win some of them.
They don't have to falter badly to miss. Five points separate seven teams battling for the WC spot. I think they'll make it, but it's by no means a sure shot with like 25 games to go or whatever's left. If Jarry's battling injury all season or if someone like Sid gets dinged up, it'll get real ugly. (I hope they miss, and miss badly)

I'm just not gonna say "Peff Jetry"s name because I want to avoid flame wars for a couple months.

That said, he has turned on Zucker apparently (and I haven't the foggiest why; Zucker is awesome right now). So maybe Petry's days are numbered.

You can also turtle for dear life for the last 10 minutes of regulation then get the loser point in overtime. One of our specialties.
Wait, huh? What happened between Petry and Zucker? :laugh: Also, yeah, being at odds with a guy who seems pretty universally beloved by the room and the coach seems like a bad decision, but Petry's always seemed like a dickhead. Still, I haven't heard/seen anything about that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like to give you shit for an over-attachment to a guy who hasn't been very good because I know you have had a soft spot for Petry for years, even suggesting having him replace Letang if Letang were to retire/walk (and my physical recoiling at the notion).

Our team has looked great defensively without Letang and with Petry in that number one role IMO.

Letang is a big problem as someone who is his number one homer on this board for the last 10+ years.

They don't have to falter badly to miss. Five points separate seven teams battling for the WC spot. I think they'll make it, but it's by no means a sure shot with like 25 games to go or whatever's left. If Jarry's battling injury all season or if someone like Sid gets dinged up, it'll get real ugly. (I hope they miss, and miss badly)

Wait, huh? What happened between Petry and Zucker? :laugh: Also, yeah, being at odds with a guy who seems pretty universally beloved by the room and the coach seems like a bad decision, but Petry's always seemed like a dickhead. Still, I haven't heard/seen anything about that.

Pretty sure he is saying I’ve turned on Zucker which I haven’t.

Just think it’s hilarious people think he’s like our best winger or needs to be resigned.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I'm talking about the poster's opinions towards Zucker, not Jetry's opinions towards Zucker.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Our team has looked great defensively without Letang and with Petry in that number one role IMO.

Letang is a big problem as someone who is his number one homer on this board for the last 10+ years.

Pretty sure he is saying I’ve turned on Zucker which I haven’t.
I'm talking about the poster's opinions towards Zucker, not Jetry's opinions towards Zucker.
Ah, my mistake. Yeah, I dunno. I've been underwhelmed with Zucker for years but he's been pretty good this season. Does his job well enough and chips in a decent amount. I wish they'd take advantage of his value as an asset while it's as high as it'll ever be, but I fully expect them to hang on to him before re-signing him this summer.

Also, yeah, Letang's been a trainwreck. Gotta imagine off-ice stuff has had a huge impact, because a guy with his athleticism probably doesn't just crater as rapidly as this. But he does look lost and a step or two behind, which is concerning.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ah, my mistake. Yeah, I dunno. I've been underwhelmed with Zucker for years but he's been pretty good this season. Does his job well enough and chips in a decent amount.

Also, yeah, Letang's been a trainwreck. Gotta imagine off-ice stuff has had a huge impact, because a guy with his athleticism probably doesn't just crater as rapidly as this. But he does look lost and a step or two behind, which is concerning.

Zucker has been fine this year. But it’s like.. dude’s paid 5.5 and has 14 goals. I get it no PP time really, but like.. I’m glad he’s making 5.5 mil and playing like it..

Zucker has been fine. He’s nowhere close to providing what Rakell has or like “vital” to this team like some want to paint him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker has been fine this year. But it’s like.. dude’s paid 5.5 and has 14 goals. I get it no PP time really, but like.. I’m glad he’s making 5.5 mil and playing like it..

Zucker has been fine. He’s nowhere close to providing what Rakell has or like “vital” to this team like some want to paint him.
This team didn't sign him to that deal, to be fair. I think he's probably our second best winger relative to expectations. Rust has regressed pretty heavily, and Jake's the most invisible, stand by and collect points sidecar winger since Kunitz's days of leeching off of prime Sid. I'm only partially joking, but I'm not impressed with Jake's play at all. The point totals are there, but he's Kessel bad away from the puck and I don't feel like he does anything to pick up the slack or drive play if Sid's off his game. /shrug

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This team didn't sign him to that deal, to be fair. I think he's probably our second best winger relative to expectations. Rust has regressed pretty heavily, and Jake's the most invisible, stand by and collect points sidecar winger since Kunitz's days of leeching off of prime Sid. I'm only partially joking, but I'm not impressed with Jake's play at all. The point totals are there, but he's Kessel bad away from the puck and I don't feel like he does anything to pick up the slack or drive play if Sid's off his game. /shrug

Zucker isn’t exactly inspiring defensively either. I like him. Happy he is finally having a healthy season, but he’s hitting what is expected of him with what we gave up, what he is making, and where he is playing.

If he had 20 goals right now like Raks I’d sing a different tune.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Zucker isn’t exactly inspiring defensively either. I like him. Happy he is finally having a healthy season, but he’s hitting what is expected of him with what we gave up, what he is making, and where he is playing.

If he had 20 goals right now like Raks I’d sing a different tune.
Zucker's less offensively capable than Rak, but I think Zucker's game allows the other winger and center to do their thing more easily. I think Zucker's pretty find defensively. Second behind Rakell in that way, though two floaters like Jake and Rust aren't doing anything to make it competitive in that regard.

I can't wait for Sully to go back to GCRust. Any minute now, especially with the team floundering. You know it, I know it. And it's gonna lead to like another 2-8 run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Zucker's less offensively capable than Rak, but I think Zucker's game allows the other winger and center to do their thing more easily. I think Zucker's pretty find defensively. Second behind Rakell in that way, though two floaters like Jake and Rust aren't doing anything to make it competitive in that regard.

I can't wait for Sully to go back to GCRust. Any minute now, especially with the team floundering. You know it, I know it. And it's gonna lead to like another 2-8 run.

A fun coach would have swapped Jake and Zucker. But that would take too much accountability.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A fun coach would have swapped Jake and Zucker. But that would take too much accountability.
I mean, I guess? What's the difference? Jake being at a PPG and on a 40g pace with Sid versus the same performance, maybe, with Geno? The important thing is the winger combos. Sully can't put two workhorse guys together while two floaters are together. Makes zero sense. I don't care which wingers are with which center, but Jake-Rakell and Zucker-Rust should pretty much be locked in.

f***, I hate Rust. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, I guess? What's the difference? Jake being at a PPG and on a 40g pace with Sid versus the same performance, maybe, with Geno? The important thing is the winger combos. Sully can't put two workhorse guys together while two floaters are together. Makes zero sense. I don't care which wingers are with which center, but Jake-Rakell and Zucker-Rust should pretty much be locked in.

f***, I hate Rust. :laugh:

The difference is trying combos. And Malkin plays a totally different game than Sid which helps Jake more easily play his IMO.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The difference is trying combos. And Malkin plays a totally different game than Sid which helps Jake more easily play his IMO.
Not that I buy into Madden's idiotic "best 200ft player of all time" shit with Sid, but I think at this stage, Sid's doing more to allow Jake to be his floater self than Geno would. Agree that Geno is way more willing to adapt his approach to his wingers, but he's pretty rough defensively anymore. You're gonna be asking a whole hell of a lot of the other winger if you rock a Geno-Jake combo, imo.

Again, not saying Sid's any good defensively, just better than Geno. Still, the important thing is the winger combos. Jake-Rakell and Zucker-Rust. Put whichever combo with whichever center, but I think it's probably as good as it's gonna get as is.

-edit- Swapping the winger combos and running with Zucker-Rust with Sid and Jake-Rakell with Geno just feels like change for the sake of change. The top-6 is the only part of this team that's any kind of functional on any given night, when Sully hasn't reverted to GCRust--which I'm expecting to start next game, or take over midway through, because he can't help himself. :laugh:

It'd be cool to add another scoring line guy to play with Geno and Zucker to bump Rust down to the 3rd line. We'll see if that's possible though, doubt it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not that I buy into Madden's idiotic "best 200ft player of all time" shit with Sid, but I think at this stage, Sid's doing more to allow Jake to be his floater self than Geno would. Agree that Geno is way more willing to adapt his approach to his wingers, but he's pretty rough defensively anymore. You're gonna be asking a whole hell of a lot of the other winger if you rock a Geno-Jake combo, imo.

Again, not saying Sid's any good defensively, just better than Geno. Still, the important thing is the winger combos. Jake-Rakell and Zucker-Rust. Put whichever combo with whichever center, but I think it's probably as good as it's gonna get as is.

I’m not talking “defensively”. The 2nd line on this team is always going to be leaky unless you move Malkin to wing.

Malkin plays north south which helps eliminate a lot of what is making Jake disappear IMO. Sid wants Jake to dig in the corners. Malkin doesn’t need it.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I’m not talking “defensively”. The 2nd line on this team is always going to be leaky unless you move Malkin to wing.

Malkin plays north south which helps eliminate a lot of what is making Jake disappear IMO. Sid wants Jake to dig in the corners. Malkin doesn’t need it.
I don't think that part's true at all about the Sid/Jake dynamic. And if that's what Sid's wanting of Jake, well, Jake hasn't been doing that for a couple years, so... :laugh:

That's why the opposite winger matters so much. Rakell does that work and has the skill to be able to produce as well as get the other guys the puck, and the top line performs much better because of it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think that part's true at all about the Sid/Jake dynamic. And if that's what Sid's wanting of Jake, well, Jake hasn't been doing that for a couple years, so... :laugh:

That's why the opposite winger matters so much. Rakell does that work and has the skill to be able to produce as well as get the other guys the puck, and the top line performs much better because of it.

Sid’s favorite game and why he loves GCR is because it’s all based on cycles and quick slot plays and transition.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Was reflecting on our past couple of games and I've come to a conclusion about Kapanen and his game that is bothering me: it's not his lack of defensive awareness or softness in battle areas (though both of those annoy me). It's that the way he's playing doesn't maximize his talents in the slightest.

Against the Islanders, I routinely saw Kapanen dump pucks in. On the other side, Barzal wouldn't dump a puck in if you put a gun to his head. Kapanen should be patterning his game around the way a Barzal plays. He should be carrying pucks in with speed unless there's absolutely nothing available to him. There were many times where I saw him carry it and dump it when he could have had a controlled entry.

If that's a coaching choice (and it probably is) they really should re-evaluate how they're gonna use him.

Imo we'd have a much more valuable player if we let him play to his strengths. Yes he'd still suck in battle areas and still be an idiot without the puck, but there's no reason to chop off his balls when he has it. Let him do the one thing he's good at.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid’s favorite game and why he loves GCR is because it’s all based on cycles and quick slot plays and transition.
Sure, with Sid doing the bulk of the board work, behind the net and drawing guys in to make that quick pass to Jake in the slot or whatever. Jake's definitely not doing shit as far as battling goes. :laugh:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Without looking around the league I feel like 4m is pretty reasonable for his spot in the lineup. Kap, Dumo, Carter, McGinn are the biggest cap wastes so far.

Looking around the league you can argue that his salary is not a problem with the ES times he eats. But.... Petts has ZERO goals, 14 assists. He is a poor penalty killer and has the strength of a wet napkin. Against any heavy forecheck he becomes Bambi.

Is he as bad as last season, no. But at his very best, he is weaker Dumoulin (when Dumo was good), who cannot PK worth a lick. He is a player you will never notice being gone. Indeed, POJ can take his position instantly and might even contribute a little while having superior physical gifts. A couple of bad reads more while getting experience? Sure. I take that every day.

Anyway, if indeed he has upped his value this season (I think it is as likely that only Penguins fans listening to Mears and Errey during games believe this), then all the more reason to push that button.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Was reflecting on our past couple of games and I've come to a conclusion about Kapanen and his game that is bothering me: it's not his lack of defensive awareness or softness in battle areas (though both of those annoy me). It's that the way he's playing doesn't maximize his talents in the slightest.

Against the Islanders, I routinely saw Kapanen dump pucks in. On the other side, Barzal wouldn't dump a puck in if you put a gun to his head. Kapanen should be patterning his game around the way a Barzal plays. He should be carrying pucks in with speed unless there's absolutely nothing available to him. There were many times where I saw him carry it and dump it when he could have had a controlled entry.

If that's a coaching choice (and it probably is) they really should re-evaluate how they're gonna use him.

Imo we'd have a much more valuable player if we let him play to his strengths. Yes he'd still suck in battle areas and still be an idiot without the puck, but there's no reason to chop off his balls when he has it. Let him do the one thing he's good at.

It’s obviously the coaching. Half this team plays the same way.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I've been saying for a long time that Kap's got permanent prospect brain. He never, ever looks like he's comfortable or knows what he wants to do. His favorite thing is to go through the neutral zone with speed, pull up immediately after gaining the blueline and tossing the puck across the ice--whether there's a guy there or not. :laugh:

Reactions: Pancakes

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Sure, with Sid doing the bulk of the board work, behind the net and drawing guys in to make that quick pass to Jake in the slot or whatever. Jake's definitely not doing shit as far as battling goes. :laugh:

Guentzel steals a lot of pucks off the wall. He is not going to muscle anyone, but he is crafty with the stick. My issue with him this season is that he is lazy defensively and doesn't pay the price to get to the net like he used to.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
But Sid wants him to. Malkin ain’t expecting it.
Let's not pretend like we're in on practices or listening to in-game convos on the bench. If Sid had any issue with Jake, Jake would be off his line in an instant. Sid's not asking or wanting Jake to do anything that Jake's not doing. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Let's not pretend like we're in on practices or listening to in-game convos on the bench. If Sid had any issue with Jake, Jake would be off his line in an instant. Sid's not asking or wanting Jake to do anything that Jake's not doing. :laugh:

Jake is playing the role Sid wants.

I’m saying conceptually Jake and Malkin fit together better. The best Jake has looked outside of the playoffs was GMR.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Guentzel steals a lot of pucks off the wall. He is not going to muscle anyone, but he is crafty with the stick. My issue with him this season is that he is lazy defensively and doesn't pay the price to get to the net like he used to.
He's been awful defensively for years. Regularly lazily trailing his assignment as the guy scores. I think his shoulder injury and taking the beatings in the playoffs knocked that net-front aspect out of his game. He's still exceptional at deflections but yeah, it's tough to get in that position when he's built like a teenager and officials just let nobodies like Scott Mayfield and Matt Martin just absolutely tee off on him with zero repercussion in the form of penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad