Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Caps | win | We won, but what did it cost us?

Who do we hate more?

• Ovy

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Wilson

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Sheary

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Anne Hathaway

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Laviolette

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
What I liked most today was how our boys just regularly had one defender stationed in the house, instead of chasing ghosts behind the net or doubling up on coverage.
If a situation was murky then a guy just faded back to near DeSmith.

I swear you can prevent so many goals this way.
Double defensive pursuit behind your net KILLS me

I hate that shit

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
it's amazing how much better you look when play a little more structurally sound
we didn't give up a ton of easy undefended crease shots
only one or two horrible breakaways (from our sweet no looks...)
penalty kill looked a little less compact... felt like we pressured more
2nd and 3rd were pretty decent

-- our PP is just bad

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
it's amazing how much better you look when play a little more structurally sound
we didn't give up a ton of easy undefended crease shots
only one or two horrible breakaways (from our sweet no looks...)
penalty kill looked a little less compact... felt like we pressured more
2nd and 3rd were pretty decent

-- our PP is just bad

PP isn’t bad. It’s stale and not working. The 3rd one with Rakell on it looked great tbh.

Sub out golden boys in Jake and Rust for the performing wingers in Zucker and Raks and I bet it starts producing. Similar to Petts and Petry playing great when Dumo was dropped out of the top four.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
PP isn’t bad. It’s stale and not working. The 3rd one with Rakell on it looked great tbh.

Sub out golden boys in Jake and Rust for the performing wingers in Zucker and Raks and I bet it starts producing. Similar to Petts and Petry playing great when Dumo was dropped out of the top four.

Yeah, I guess I just don't like how we cycle or rarely generate shots. It's definitely stale... We cycled the puck down the wall... i guess...

Also, I think Sullivan did tell them to never f***ing pass the puck through the middle in the 2nd and 3rd because that dumb shit stopped after P1.

Defenders looked much better as the game went on, sucks the injuries happened. Dumo should be on L3 until he starts playing better and he needs glasses for god sake, his passes looks like he's near-sighted or cross-eyed.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Rust squanders possession more than anyone else. He needs to be demoted in the worst way.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
POJ is whatever, hope he’s ok but I want to see Smith play. Rutta would stink, hope he’s fine.

Solid win, they weren’t bad in any period which is a nice step.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rakell and Zucker are our two best forwards beside Sid and Guentzel. Rakell should be on line 1.
Rakell’s positioning and ability to make little plays is so much better than Rusts, Rust is just faster and has a better shot, that’s it.

Reactions: metalan2

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Haven't read through the comments so don't know if this has been pointed out.... but Hallander looked pretty good. He had more PK time than any other Pens forward against one of the hotter PPs in the league, wasn't scored on, looked a solid skater and added some takeaways with no giveaways and had a couple of blocks. That won't hurt him none with Sully, surely.

Overall we had a pretty lousy start but worked our way into it. After that point I thought we were basically superior when playing 5 on 5, and that most everyone did a fairly good job. Dumo on the goal.... notwithstanding.

NB: Winning was nice. Guys shouldn't feel shy about repeating it.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
POJ is whatever, hope he’s ok but I want to see Smith play. Rutta would stink, hope he’s fine.

Solid win, they weren’t bad in any period which is a nice step.

Sure... POJ, PETTS, and RUTTA have been by far... our better defenders. He's a 23 year old 3rd pairing that you rarely hear about.... that's a good thing.
8 goals for, 3 against when POJ's on the ice at ES.
He's been a bright spot this season. It's a loss if he's out for a while.

I'll enjoy seeing Smith if he's in though.

Yup. People just run with these odd narratives some time. POJ has been good. If he keeps developing and getting better over the next 2-3 years he'll be solid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
8 goals for, 3 against when POJ's on the ice at ES.
He's been a bright spot this season. It's a loss if he's out for a while.

I'll enjoy seeing Smith if he's in though.

Feel like Smith’s impact will be similar, but him and Ruhwedel together is going to dial us back to the last few years physicality wise.

I’d go..

Pettersson - Letang
Smith - Petry
Dumo - Ruh

Sure... POJ, PETTS, and RUTTA have been by far... our better defenders. He's a 23 year old 3rd pairing that you rarely hear about.... that's a good thing.

Yup. People just run with these odd narratives some time. POJ has been good. If he keeps developing and getting better over the next 2-3 years he'll be solid.

POJ has been great IMO.

Reactions: KapG

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Feel like Smith’s impact will be similar, but him and Ruhwedel together is going to dial us back to the last few years physicality wise.

I’d go..

Pettersson - Letang
Smith - Petry
Dumo - Ruh

POJ has been great IMO.
I can do without the physicality. I just want to see puck management, like we had for 2 periods tonight.

I don't expect Smith to defend as well as POJ has, but that'd be lovely.
And for God's sake put him on PP1! Literally nothing to lose.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just realized that both of our b2b opponents, Tor and MTL,have two days off before they play us…how is that fair, nhl?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Haven't read through the comments so don't know if this has been pointed out.... but Hallander looked pretty good. He had more PK time than any other Pens forward against one of the hotter PPs in the league, wasn't scored on, looked a solid skater and added some takeaways with no giveaways and had a couple of blocks. That won't hurt him none with Sully, surely.
Sully mentioned being impressed with him in particular. Doesn't bode well for Kap's return to the lineup lol.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I agree I haven’t been unhappy with him, I just don’t think he’s a big loss at this stage if he’s out for a few games.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad