Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Caps | win | We won, but what did it cost us?

Who do we hate more?

• Ovy

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Wilson

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Sheary

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Anne Hathaway

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Laviolette

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
"It's tough," Malkin said. "When you're lost, you need to support each other, help each other. It's time to build up the team. We lost these games in a row. Why not win the next six games in a row?"
---
That's 1! 5 more to go!

You could see the nerves on the team in the 1st period. Sure we got some lucky bounces, but we need those at this stage.

*Edit*
One thing that bothered me was, on our PP late in the 3rd period, having the lead, why didn't we play 2D? It seems the we always play our 1 game style mindset won't ever change :/.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Kapanen is gonna come back in at some point. Just too much salary invested in there for Sully to keep him stapled to the press box.

So hopefully he adds something when he comes back.
How about a nail gun? Super glue? Duct tape???

Reactions: Pancakes

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kap is still a player that just is so fundamentally poor that he just is never going to be consistent enough to position his play for getting better. His passing, how he moves his body on receiving passes and little things that should now be part of his game just aren't there. He has physical gifts such as speed, good size and does possess a good shot. But man all the little things that can really give him a better chance to be successful just keep him in the press box. Until he actually grasps his on ice game is not good enough, he is a waste of a trade. Sullivan is not wrong here. Kap is a bad player and his PK is over rated. Why Hextall didn't see that before giving him that contract is so bad. If I owned the Pens Hextall would be fired for Carter and Kap contracts. But credit him for retaining key assets and adding Rakell.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Kap is still a player that just is so fundamentally poor that he just is never going to be consistent enough to position his play for getting better. His passing, how he moves his body on receiving passes and little things that should now be part of his game just aren't there. He has physical gifts such as speed, good size and does possess a good shot. But man all the little things that can really give him a better chance to be successful just keep him in the press box. Until he actually grasps his on ice game is not good enough, he is a waste of a trade. Sullivan is not wrong here. Kap is a bad player and his PK is over rated. Why Hextall didn't see that before giving him that contract is so bad. If I owned the Pens Hextall would be fired for Carter and Kap contracts. But credit him for retaining key assets and adding Rakell.
Maybe Toronto will take him back
:dunno:

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Kap has the worst hockey IQ of any Penguin i've ever seen in that pay-bracket ($3 million+).

It's amazing how he always does the wrong thing. He can't just calm down and read the play. Regardless of what's going on, always skates full steam ahead like a f***ing bull out of a ring. Dude is clueless.

This type of thing you can't learn through experience. He was drafted a decade ago for God's sake. He's best kept in the press box.

Sullivan needs to make lineup decisions on how our players play, not by how badly our GM botched their contract.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I guess its OK, Caps may be the worst team they played so far, but win is the win, still don't like our game for the most part.
CDS was good
Rutta had a good game this could be big loss
Petry best game since the first two
Letang another awful game, he could not get the puck out of our zone, a dozen or more bad passes
L2 was good, very good, spent most of the time in their zone with Rakell with another great game, positionally, forecheck,
L1 got caved in way too much, Rust is now approaching that level that he actively is hurting team
L3 kept us in the game in the first and McGinn especially
Hallander did not play much but he could be our new Kuhnackl...

Still fire Sully for that attrocious PP, it actively is killing any momentum

The unfortunate thing about this result is we'll now see CGR for the next 50 games regardless of their defensive liabilities ...sigh

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kap has the worst hockey IQ of any Penguin i've ever seen in that pay-bracket ($3 million+).

It's amazing how he always does the wrong thing. He can't just calm down and read the play. Regardless of what's going on, always skates full steam ahead like a f***ing bull out of a ring. Dude is clueless.

This type of thing you can't learn through experience. He was drafted a decade ago for God's sake. He's best kept in the press box.

Sullivan needs to make lineup decisions on how our players play, not by how badly our GM botched their contract.

I watch Kapanen and I see a player who is being over coached and told to stray completely from his game.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I watch Kapanen and I see a player who is being over coached and told to stray completely from his game.
As an NHL player you need to be able to do both, especially if you're on the hot seat. But no hockey IQ for that.

While I don't really agree with you, i see what you mean for the last 6 games - I do imagine Kap was getting obliterated by Sully in the locker room during this losing streak. So much for locker room favorite.

Reactions: Pens x

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As an NHL player you need to be able to do both, especially if you're on the hot seat. But no hockey IQ for that.

While I don't really agree with you, i see what you mean for the last 6 games - I do imagine Kap was getting obliterated by Sully in the locker room during this losing streak. So much for locker room favorite.

I mean he has proven he can do both. He was a solid depth forward in Toronto.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think Sullivan knows how to handle him. He's the biggest head case on the team, and when he loses confidence he's really really bad.

It's not a talent issue with him. He needs to just relax and play his game, but yeah to your point he's either being told to play a way he's not comfortable with or the problem is purely between his own ears and he just can't get his confidence back.

I hope this scratch is the wake up call he needs but I don't think it will change anything. Nothing else they've done with him has.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think Sullivan knows how to handle him. He's the biggest head case on the team, and when he loses confidence he's really really bad.

It's not a talent issue with him. He needs to just relax and play his game, but yeah to your point he's either being told to play a way he's not comfortable with or the problem is purely between his own ears and he just can't get his confidence back.

I hope this scratch is the wake up call he needs but I don't think it will change anything. Nothing else they've done with him has.
Molinari had an article this morning taking the position that they should waive Kap…pretty much agree…only good things can happen: either he works on his game and confidence in Wilkes, or someone else takes $3.2M for the next two years off our hands…lol

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess we’re not going to get any injury updates today since practice was cancelled…I mean we really could be out 4 players for Friday: POJ, Rutta, Petry, Hallander maybe…cap space still at a minimum unless we have another LTIR, which I never discount lol…hopefully that only helps us finally win a game on Canadian soil lol…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Kap was scratched last year. Do you think it impacted his game much? I don't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad