Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens have been leaving teams in games. That's a depth issue to me, meaning they are trying to get away with using their depth for a good while, and then they get healthy to watch the depth just evaporate away again. Depth was supporting, and now the stars are with a complete flip of the roles. Just like they were a 5 on 5 machine and now a 5-4 machine.

They need some balance.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kapanen reminds me of Morozov. He has skill, he can show flashes of it, but his will to be anything more than a perimeter player isn't there. He just smacks of a kid who grew up with a dad in the league and he has a certain level of entitlement.

Matheson's skill is awesome. Jarry has fixed basically every glaring weakness he had last year. John Marino is a pretty unsung player. I never thought there would be a more productive yet invisible player than Dumo...Marino is right there.

We need a Hornqvist trade. We need a trade that brings back a productive player but it changes a direction of the team and brings some sort of a pulse/swagger/jam. This team isn't that far off. They are actually really good. But some tweaking needs to be made.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
f8ffff93-c0b1-44d6-a0e2-1505d31ad725_text.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kapanen reminds me of Morozov. He has skill, he can show flashes of it, but his will to be anything more than a perimeter player isn't there. He just smacks of a kid who grew up with a dad in the league and he has a certain level of entitlement.

Matheson's skill is awesome. Jarry has fixed basically every glaring weakness he had last year. John Marino is a pretty unsung player. I never thought there would be a more productive yet invisible player than Dumo...Marino is right there.

We need a Hornqvist trade. We need a trade that brings back a productive player but it changes a direction of the team and brings some sort of a pulse/swagger/jam. This team isn't that far off. They are actually really good. But some tweaking needs to be made.

I honestly question how people say shit like this. Dude is trash. And has lost everything that makes him successful.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if youre focusing on the goaltending in this loss, you should log off beacause you dont get it.
Considering your propensity to hate Geno and want him gone in the worst way I'm not sure you're exactly being objective here.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
right. but you have to understand a goalie gets mentally fatigued as well. especially when things start going not great they can compound and getting a reduced workload while you physically and mentally reset helps quite a bit.
Absolutely.

I don't expect him to be on every night. I just really hope he does not have another collapse.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He has slipped in the last 2 weeks. 100%.

I just don't care frankly. Not while the team aside from one line is anemic at even strength. I watch hockey for the skaters, not for the goalies. I get little enjoyment out of that part of the game. Maybe if I grew up as a Hasek fan I'd almost root for the other teams to pour it on so that he could keep bailing my team out and adding to his legacy. But my baseline expectation for a Pens team in this era is to have better chances than their opponent and entertain me. If the skaters are doing that and the goalie is sh1tting the bed, fine I'll blame the goalie. That isn't happening now.
Well frankly I do care as goaltending is an integral part to a teams success.

Giving up 11 goals in the past three games might not be ''shitting'' the bed exactly, but it's not much better.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
you got yourself some following here

I'm just calling it how I see it, right or wrong.

I think Geno was much better in his own end tonight but offensively it is just such a struggle-bus 5-on-5.

For as many Geno defenders claim this is typical Pittsburgh xenophobia, I'm getting a lot more Late Career Big Ben vibes out here. Without the awful person-ness mixed in. "Hey he's not shot, didja see that pass to Freiermuth? He's still got it! 7(1) Foreva!"

Mind you, I think Geno will round into form of being a good 2C by the end of this year, but overall I'm discouraged by his return at 5-on-5. As he is my favorite player, I always perk up and innately watch him while he's on the ice and right now it's unexciting at best.
On the PP he has been really good. Also like, maybe he should be complimentary or even (gasp) a winger. Ovechkin is barely noticeable out there at all at ES but he still changes the defensive center of gravity dramatically.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'm just calling it how I see it, right or wrong.

I think Geno was much better in his own end tonight but offensively it is just such a struggle-bus 5-on-5.

For as many Geno defenders claim this is typical Pittsburgh xenophobia, I'm getting a lot more Late Career Big Ben vibes out here. Without the awful person-ness mixed in. "Hey he's not shot, didja see that pass to Freiermuth? He's still got it! 7(1) Foreva!"

Mind you, I think Geno will round into form of being a good 2C by the end of this year, but overall I'm discouraged by his return at 5-on-5. As he is my favorite player, I always perk up and innately watch him while he's on the ice and right now it's unexciting at best.
On the PP he has been really good. Also like, maybe he should be complimentary or even (gasp) a winger. Ovechkin is barely noticeable out there at all at ES but he still changes the defensive center of gravity dramatically.

I don’t think there’s ANYTHING wrong with saying that line 2 is doing nothing offensively at ES. Certainly not in this one, and it has been the case in too many of the most recent ones.

But it is also the case that in most games they’ve given up hardly any chances against, and opponents just score on those they do. Then we get the expert talking about how that one occasion is Geno’s fault, despite the fact that this mistake is a defender swiping at the puck on the wall, with two defensemen back, and Sprong beating first Ruh and then Jarry with Matheson taking away the pass. What is the bar on mistakes if that one is on Geno?

Now, no matter who are his wingers the line has to create something, but when the only line that is has a very hard time scoring also and has by far our best two wingers on it with Sid, it is a little much making our overall travails about that one line.

There is clearly not a great fit there though. One has to be found. That’s also on Geno.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Colorado had a lengthy winning streak snapped by the Coyotes tonight.

Strange things happen in the NHL.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don’t think there’s ANYTHING wrong with saying that line 2 is doing nothing offensively at ES. Certainly not in this one, and it has been the case in too many of the most recent ones.

But it is also the case that in most games they’ve given up hardly any chances against, and opponents just score on those they do. Then we get the expert talking about how that one occasion is Geno’s fault, despite the fact that this mistake is a defender swiping at the puck on the wall, with two defensemen back, and Sprong beating first Ruh and then Jarry with Matheson taking away the pass. What is the bar on mistakes if that one is on Geno?

I agree with this. Defensively he was much more inspired tonight.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think it’s hard to blame Malkin for anything when literally no one around him is scoring. When played with talent he is on what? An 8 game point streak? Why haven’t we given Malkin Jake or Rust?

I'm not blaming Geno for anything.

I am just saying that his game will pick up once he gets back in full game shape just like Sid did after he had a slow start back.

Geno is producing and I am fine with his current level of play, but I think he can certainly dominate to a larger degree, especially 5 on 5. And he will, soon enough.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Our PP has gone up 16 spots since Malkin's arrival. We're 11th now lol. 22.1%.

Geno's doing what he's paid to do. 5g 8a in 12 games is nothing to sneeze at at 35 years old. He's only taken one penalty.
How about helping the guy out at even-strength? Linemates? Contribute?

I don't blame this skid on him at all. Too many players have regressed that he has nothing to do with. Jarry among them.
Malkin's not making Letang make that horrific pass for their PK goal, or preventing Ruhwedel from getting walked.

Sid was largely responsible for 3 goals against last game, and got owned by Orlov in OT here. Fortunately he's playing well offensively to mitigate some of that.

Glad the break is here. Pens can rest and then come back with focus on attention to detail.
Boston's a good opponent to get the ball rolling with that. You won't beat them without a semblance of structure.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad