We lost because:

• Kap sucks and our PK let us down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Last night’s game was a microcosm of how the Pens have been losing in the POs: stop scoring at ES and the other goalie outplays your goalie…this comment from Sullivan is so lol…

Coach Sullivan: "I thought we played the game that we're trying to play. We dictated terms. We controlled territory. We controlled the shot clock. We controlled scoring chances. For the most part, everything we could control, we did. We just didn't get the result. That's hockey."

Nah, bro…that’s not hockey…hockey is about putting the puck in the net more times than your opponent lol…unfortunately this team can’t afford to be playing Jarry so much and he should take the rest and skip the all star game…while the loss is not his fault per se, the reality is if his play slips at all and the opposing goalie is outplaying him, the Pens have no chance…

Game felt like the last game of the Isles series last year. The quote could have come from that game.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
no, lol…I just can’t stand it when the coach says everything was great, nothing to see here, when the team can’t score at ES and the opposing goalie outplayed ours…
Oh, I see.
Well, I can see how the coach saying these things would be frustrating when it seems to be a general trend like it is now.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think this team's as bad as they look at their worst, but they're nowhere near the juggernaut the 10-game winning streaks make them seem either. /shrug

Lot closer to middle of the pack than not, imo. If Jarry hadn't been playing out of his mind all season and we didn't get an insane stretch of like 25ish games of E-Rod while guys were languishing around trying to find their games, we'd be in pretty dramatically different spot.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess I'll end this with...

xf70wKN.gif

Reactions: Ryder71

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Great game. Not disappointed we lost. Kapanen is not living up to that contract. We are paying him too much. The team needs a break, hope they come back recharged. I can't complain about results, but unless a couple moves are made I still think we are a first or second round exit.

We are a 1st round exit regardless of any moves.

As long as Crosby, Malkin and Letang are our "leaders", and Jarry is in net - keep your expectations low.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We are a 1st round exit regardless of any moves.

As long as Crosby, Malkin and Letang are our "leaders", and Jarry is in net - keep your expectations low.
I thought the team was hopeless when JR took over for dumbie Shero, but JR made some pretty solid deals earlier in his reign of terror to right the ship. We need something similar to that, but sleepy Hextall won’t be doing anything close to that, unfortunately.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I don't think this team's as bad as they look at their worst, but they're nowhere near the juggernaut the 10-game winning streaks make them seem either. /shrug

Lot closer to middle of the pack than not, imo. If Jarry hadn't been playing out of his mind all season and we didn't get an insane stretch of like 25ish games of E-Rod while guys were languishing around trying to find their games, we'd be in pretty dramatically different spot.

Depends on how close to the middle. They aren't in the same class as Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Colorado. Maybe add Minnesota to that. I think anybody else you can make an argument for being as good or better. You could argue Sid, Jake, Rust, Jarry, Letang are all top 10 players of their respective positions this year. Then you have Malkin as well. There's just not enough depth beyond that.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Carter and ERod each look a little out to lunch out there.

Just ain't clicking.

Let's find a Geno line that works and then roll with our slopfest checking line thereafter. Whoever the remainders are...they can get their 8 minutes a night.
Since Sully isn't breaking up the top line, why not try Carter with Malkin so Rodrigues can attempt to get his mojo back...

when healthy
Guentzel Crosby Rust
Heinen Malkin Carter
Zucker Rodrigues Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger McGinn

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Since Sully isn't breaking up the top line, why not try Carter with Malkin so Rodrigues can attempt to get his mojo back...

when healthy
Guentzel Crosby Rust
Heinen Malkin Carter
Zucker Rodrigues Kapanen
Aston-Reese Blueger McGinn

Yeah I guess.

Heinen isn't really doing anything for me though after the first dozen or so games. I'd love to get Teddy & McGinn up the lineup any way possible.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I guess.

Heinen isn't really doing anything for me though after the first dozen or so games. I'd love to get Teddy & McGinn up the lineup any way possible.
I'd like good goaltending! But you're not worried about goaltending, are you?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'd like good goaltending! But you're not worried about goaltending, are you?

What are you going to do, Ryder? Start pre-typing your "blame Jarry" takes for May 2022? Okay that's exactly what you'll do actually lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What are you going to do, Ryder? Start pre-typing your "blame Jarry" takes for May 2022? Okay that's exactly what you'll do actually lol
He hasn't been good lately, ok. I just cannot believe your post yesterday suggesting you're not concerned about the goalie/goaltending aspect of things. Believe me that has a lot to do with who wins and who loses.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He hasn't been good lately, ok. I just cannot believe your post yesterday suggesting you're not concerned about the goalie/goaltending aspect of things. Believe me that has a lot to do with who wins and who loses.

There is basically nothing we can do about Jarry. He will succeed or he won't. So worrying about it is a waste of time.

Also, I never blame the goalie if the skaters aren't playing to the proper standard. Sorry, I just consider that a more interesting and fun part of hockey. And lately the skaters have been absolutely toothless at even-strength. Once that happens then I start blaming the goaltender.

Fandom is idiosyncratic and I have chosen to not be a goalie worshipper. In fact I only rooted so adamantly for Jarry in the first place because he saved us from the disaster of handing Matt Murray a 7/$50M contract (which make no mistake JR woulda done if Jarry didn't emerge) and becoming a goalie-centric team. Now I don't much care. Yes, he has looked worse lately.

I'm just not interesting in yelling at the Jarry cloud. You keep going for it though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There is basically nothing we can do about Jarry. He will succeed or he won't. So worrying about it is a waste of time.

Also, I never blame the goalie if the skaters aren't playing to the proper standard. Sorry, I just consider that a more interesting and fun part of hockey. And lately the skaters have been absolutely toothless at even-strength. Once that happens then I start blaming the goaltender.

Fandom is idiosyncratic and I have chosen to not be a goalie worshipper. In fact I only rooted so adamantly for Jarry in the first place because he saved us from the disaster of handing Matt Murray a 7/$50M contract (which make no mistake JR woulda done if Jarry didn't emerge) and becoming a goalie-centric team. Now I don't much care. Yes, he has looked worse lately.

I'm just not interesting in yelling at the Jarry cloud. You keep going for it though.
Not blaming the goalie because the players in front of him shouldn't necessarily absolve him of any wrong doing. He'S the last line of defense, he's also culpable!

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Depends on how close to the middle. They aren't in the same class as Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Colorado. Maybe add Minnesota to that. I think anybody else you can make an argument for being as good or better. You could argue Sid, Jake, Rust, Jarry, Letang are all top 10 players of their respective positions this year. Then you have Malkin as well. There's just not enough depth beyond that.
I think we definitely have the depth to keep up with those teams. In fact, I think our forward depth is as good or better than any of those teams.

The biggest issues imo, are Simon and ZAR. Two guys who play every game they’re healthy, and have 3 total goals between the both of them after half a season. That f***s up any sort of scoring in the bottom 6 because they usually play on separate lines.

Can’t have players like that if you want to seriously compete. And especially not two of them occupying separate lines. You need players who can put the odd puck in the net at the NHL level. This isn’t the “Try-Hard Hockey League.”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think we definitely have the depth to keep up with those teams. In fact, I think our forward depth is as good or better than any of those teams.

The biggest issues imo, are Simon and ZAR. Two guys who play every game they’re healthy, and have 3 total goals between the both of them after half a season. That f***s up any sort of scoring in the bottom 6 because they usually play on separate lines.

Can’t have players like that if you want to seriously compete. And especially not two of them occupying separate lines. You need players who can put the odd puck in the net at the NHL level. This isn’t the “Try-Hard Hockey League.”

We wouldn’t have Simon with a healthy roster to be fair.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Good thing we didn’t go for that Kane guy. Wouldn’t like a big, fast, capable wreckingball anyway near our team. Less so when he’d cost nothing and have a low cap-hit.
Short end of the wedge stuff… beyond the pale, really, that would be.

I'd be shocked if Kane was even entertained with Brian Burke at the helm.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Could be much better as well. TBH the losses to Seattle and Detroit weren't so troubling to me. But the last two and in particular last night is where I started having more doubts. Despite being tired and such we should have been able to win one of these last couple of games. We had a good chance last night to stop the bleeding and we were unable to do so.
Um, I'm not going "keyboard expert" on you here, but like, do you watch Pens/Kings games? It usually isn't a good match for us, even when they're horrible. And predicting Pens/Caps is a fool's errand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad