Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Frustrating loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You may be jesting, but there were actually comments on that team's board a week or two ago about what a great coach and upgrade he would be there.
I could care less where he goes, he's done here but the org is too stupid to realize it and for whatever reason wanna spend the remainder of our cores careers as a LOSER that doesn't even wanna make the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Goalies the Penguins could have signed over Jarry -

Frederick Anderson
Korpisalo
Martin Jones
Varlamov
Reimer
Ranttaa

100% of them are better goalies.
You are speaking emotionally or you're delusional. No one on that list at this point in their career is better than Jarry and I still think he sucks.

Ask the Sens about Korpisalo.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
No one on that list at this point in their career is better than Jarry and I still think he sucks.
Highly debatable. Varlamov's still strong this year. .916.
Andersen's been phenomenal since returning. .932.

These two come with huge asterisks though. Varlamov didn't want to leave the island at this point in his career, and Andersen's body is toast. He can't be a starter anymore.
So they weren't really options.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Boston was very beatable tonight.

Ned's been getting tired as of late. He's been degrading so it was a matter of time this was going to happen. I give Sully credit for seeing that after 3, but Jarry clearly sucks. He probably could have salvaged that game, but like usual, he can't make a timely save no matter the situation.

I was hoping we could muster 1 point out of this..oh well.

What sucks is everybody else won.

Puts us in a pickle. Fine...we can win the next 2 (even though the Islanders are pretty hot), but what's worst though is I don't know if either Jarry or Ned is going to keep it together enough for that to happen.

I guess we need live and die with Ned on this one.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Why wasnt last offseason huge? Because Dubas had an awful first year showing?
I liked the signings of NED, Eller and getting Bunting in the guentzel trade. What decisions will he make with the coaching staff? Jarry, Smith, bottom six? He said to liked Poulin, Ponomarev and Blomqvist, and will the play like St. Ivany has for the penguins next season?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Do you question why Karlsson has never been on a great team?

He is talented, that doesn't mean he's great at hockey though.

The 18-19 Sharks were a great team.

In Ottawa there were always money problems with Melnyk. They were never able to ice as good a team as they could have. He was on one of the best deals in the league for 6 years but after Spezza in 11-12, they never had a true first line player until Stone developed into in 17-18, right before the fire sale. (Except when Stone and Turris played like stars on the 14-15 miracle run, where they were top 5 in league scoring during their 21-3-3 stretch). Trust me, if EK had been drafted by the Pens, Caps, Blackhawks, or Lightning, he would have been on many great teams from 2009-17.

If he were truly having a bad year, the Pens wouldn't be so close to the playoffs, since he leads the team in ES minutes. He hasn't been prime Karlsson, but he hasn't been 2021 Karlsson either where he sucked at both ends.

11-12: EK and Spezza carried the team but the depth wasn't great. They reached their ceiling as a team.
12-13: EK and Spezza injured, they were a scrappy team but Craig Anderson turned into Patrick Roy so they made playoffs.
13-14: EK struggled first half after the achilles injury but was great second half. Spezza really declined. Ryan started out great but had a bad second half. Andy regressed. Alfie left, which was a massive blow. Underperformed overall but were a bubble team.
14-15: Miracle run. Hamburglar. EK wasn't that good the first 52 games but played without Methot for a lot of it and had to drag around retiring Phillips, Cowen, and Borowiecki. Go figure when they get great goaltending, two on-fire forwards, a dependable 2nd pair, and a star D playing 27 mins a night, they win 21 of 27.
15-16: Dave Cameron sucked as coach. Playing Cowen on 2nd pair, who never saw the NHL after being traded to Toronto. Turris played through an injury that really affected his play. EK was excellent but overplayed because they couldn't generate offense without him.
16-17: Boucher got the most out of that team with his trap. EK was MVP-level. Anderson excellent. Negative goal differential because they won a lot of close games but lost some blowouts.
17-18: Team started off well, EK included. Then Turris was traded for Duchene, and EK had the worst half-season stretch of his career. Didn't help that Duchene had 3 points in his first 23 games (think about that - a top line player with production rivalling 23-24 Carter).

With the Sharks, EK wasn't good in 19-20 and really struggled in 2021 (22P in 52G), but improved in 21-22 but got injured. The whole SJ team sucked in 19-20 and 21. EK re-signing meant Pavelski left, but I think Pavs could have stayed if Wilson really wanted to keep both. Unfortunately Wilson couldn't have known about the upcoming flat cap when he signed EK in summer 2019, but with the flat cap the big contracts to him, Vlasic, Burns, and Couture really hampered their depth, and Vlasic became one of the worst D in the league after 18-19. It was a big storm of bad things in SJ, including the Kane debacle, but now they have a bright future after a needed shedding.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Highly debatable. Varlamov's still strong this year. .916.
Andersen's been phenomenal since returning. .932.

These two come with huge asterisks though. Varlamov didn't want to leave the island at this point in his career, and Andersen's body is toast. He can't be a starter anymore.
So they weren't really options.
Yea exactly, they weren't real options.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Would have been nice to have Yager this year instead of Harkins. Don't care about getting him developed for 2028 when we're out of the playoffs.
Can you imagine how Sullivan would have ruined him for life playing him 5 min a night next to Carter and benching him every time he made a mistake? Sullivan will ruin any offensive skilled young player we bring in here because he knows shit about generating goals…seriously…keep Yager away from here until we get new coaches lol

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It’s hilarious how many people that were so excited for the Karlsson trade are mad that Karlsson is exactly the type of player we knew we were getting in the Karlsson trade.
He's like Letang used to be as well in that people laser in on his f***ups instead of remembering the other 99% of the game where he's helping us control play while he's out there.

Like I get it. His defensive miscues suck. Some of them have been crippling. But he's also enabling us to do very well at 5v5 generally while he's out there.

The big disappointment for me is I thought he'd help the PP and somehow the PP has become even worse than ever. And EK is at least partially at fault for that.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's like Letang used to be as well in that people laser in on his f***ups instead of remembering the other 99% of the game where he's helping us control play while he's out there.

Like I get it. His defensive miscues suck. Some of them have been crippling. But he's also enabling us to do very well at 5v5 generally while he's out there.

The big disappointment for me is I thought he'd help the PP and somehow the PP has become even worse than ever. And EK is at least partially at fault for that.

No one player is fixing this powerplay.

Anyways. It’s funny to see this team continuously lose must wins under the same staff for five years and everyone blame the players despite them being cycled in and out over and over again.

Bylsma era all over again.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So what’s he gonna say when Boston loses to the Caps Monday lol?
Oh so maybe Boston isn’t as good as I just said…maybe it’s your f**king team and not about the opponent…

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I really wanted to love him here, were full of expectations. I love his style of hockey. I really like you as a poster too. That being said, he is playing really really bad hockey for us. Really bad. Just you can see how good he could be. And he just isn´t.

Has he been disappointing offensively? Yeah, probably. I think a lot of that is on the system restricting his freedom, but his passing hasn't been as sharp as it usually is. The PP is the responsibility of everyone, and it hasn't been better with Letang on the 1st unit. It's just a bad PP setup, has been all season, no matter what they do. I hope Dubas gets a right-shot one time option. Maybe Puustinen is the guy but Sully doesn't seem to want to do that.

EK has more defensive point shares than offensive ones this season though, and he really hasn't had an awful 5-game stretch in his own zone this year. He's done a lot of good work with his stick, defending 1-on-1, and even battling net front, which has always been his biggest weakness. They had the same issue with blowing leads last year without him. They have had 7 SOs and in most of those they weren't leaking many high danger chances (which they would have if EK was playing awful defensively).

They are going to rue the losses to Anaheim, Buffalo, LA, Colorado, and Calgary, the last four of which were blown leads. The two final minute losses to ANA and CGY really hurt now, as they'd be at least at 88 not 86. Funny that EK screwed up the first and Letang screwed up the second.

I do really hope there is a new coach next season. Nevertheless I have had a decent time watching this team, as frustrating as they can be. Maybe that's just because I watched the Sharks the last four years. But watching Crosby every game do his thing has been fun. If they can replace Smith and move Rakell/get a bounce back, they'll have their chance to make it next season.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
The 18-19 Sharks were a great team.

In Ottawa there were always money problems with Melnyk. They were never able to ice as good a team as they could have. He was on one of the best deals in the league for 6 years but after Spezza in 11-12, they never had a true first line player until Stone developed into in 17-18, right before the fire sale. (Except when Stone and Turris played like stars on the 14-15 miracle run, where they were top 5 in league scoring during their 21-3-3 stretch). Trust me, if EK had been drafted by the Pens, Caps, Blackhawks, or Lightning, he would have been on many great teams from 2009-17.

If he were truly having a bad year, the Pens wouldn't be so close to the playoffs, since he leads the team in ES minutes. He hasn't been prime Karlsson, but he hasn't been 2021 Karlsson either where he sucked at both ends.

11-12: EK and Spezza carried the team but the depth wasn't great. They reached their ceiling as a team.
12-13: EK and Spezza injured, they were a scrappy team but Craig Anderson turned into Patrick Roy so they made playoffs.
13-14: EK struggled first half after the achilles injury but was great second half. Spezza really declined. Ryan started out great but had a bad second half. Andy regressed. Alfie left, which was a massive blow. Underperformed overall but were a bubble team.
14-15: Miracle run. Hamburglar. EK wasn't that good the first 52 games but played without Methot for a lot of it and had to drag around retiring Phillips, Cowen, and Borowiecki. Go figure when they get great goaltending, two on-fire forwards, a dependable 2nd pair, and a star D playing 27 mins a night, they win 21 of 27.
15-16: Dave Cameron sucked as coach. Playing Cowen on 2nd pair, who never saw the NHL after being traded to Toronto. Turris played through an injury that really affected his play. EK was excellent but overplayed because they couldn't generate offense without him.
16-17: Boucher got the most out of that team with his trap. EK was MVP-level. Anderson excellent. Negative goal differential because they won a lot of close games but lost some blowouts.
17-18: Team started off well, EK included. Then Turris was traded for Duchene, and EK had the worst half-season stretch of his career. Didn't help that Duchene had 3 points in his first 23 games (think about that - a top line player with production rivalling 23-24 Carter).

With the Sharks, EK wasn't good in 19-20 and really struggled in 2021 (22P in 52G), but improved in 21-22 but got injured. The whole SJ team sucked in 19-20 and 21. EK re-signing meant Pavelski left, but I think Pavs could have stayed if Wilson really wanted to keep both. Unfortunately Wilson couldn't have known about the upcoming flat cap when he signed EK in summer 2019, but with the flat cap the big contracts to him, Vlasic, Burns, and Couture really hampered their depth, and Vlasic became one of the worst D in the league after 18-19. It was a big storm of bad things in SJ, including the Kane debacle, but now they have a bright future after a needed shedding.
Anaheim, Salt Lake and the Sharks are going to be great in a couple of years. If the Ducks would win the draft lottery and draft Celebrini. Their centerman depth is going to be scary.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Basically i don't think Nashville has anything to really play for next game
Iirc its their final game of the season and they really cant improve or lose any position..

So you figure Boston is going to still be playing for something vs the caps.

Then the caps face Philly, who will still be playing for something on Tuesday, especially if the caps lose to Boston the night before...

The biggest threat will be detroit who only has a back to back vs a Montreal team thats already mentally golfing... if they win out, the pens need to hope they win out and the islanders lose out... that last game could be huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad