Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Frustrating loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with you there. But herein lies the rub, to get a Marner YOU NEED TO BE A LOTTERY TEAM. And they mangled that.
Yes, in hindsight they should have kept their first round picks…they also had opportunities to trade those picks for players like Tkuchuk and decided to spend them on Brassard and Kapanen…

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
You really like whining about other people whining, don't you?

And what exactly do you expect when the team is making the same easily avoidable errors again and again? People to praise it and say "we will get them next time"?
let thousands whiners bloom, who f***ing cares...let them listen to Steigy and Metzer and other Pens broadcast, there is a plenty of uplifting story there

If Letang can't manage the puck, why should we be expected to manage our glee?

I've heard Grove talk about this as a guest on a pod cast a few months ago. Beyond that MM, Rossi, DK, Yohe and several others talked about how the core didn't want to break in a new coach and loved Sullivan. Beyond that and to me it's quite obvious.

Sullivan will get credit for even getting this team in contention, just watch. lol
its already happening... somehow last year colapse as if ha never happened...I am trying to bring up everytime: Hawks...Jackets

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
You can name names, be a big kid. :dunno:

I don’t take any joy in the Pens losing, nor any Schadenfreude in us being all but out of the race. I would take joy in reading fewer sanctimonious “I’m a truer fan” posts, though, if anyone’s thinking about holiday gifts early.

Honestly? My biggest dream has consistently been for an against the odds Cinderella story instead of what this team has become. It’s just kind of a shame that we could have been in the playoffs if we’d literally made some basic adjustments early in the season, stopped frittering away points in OT or on the PP. If anyone doesn’t find that infuriating, well, they’re more stoic than any philosopher.

Like none of this heroic “season on the line” needed to be a thing at all, especially because the East is so weak this year.
you got me at Schadenfreude :)

Based on what exactly? There's no evidence to support that whatsoever. They haven't won anything since 2018. And they're only getting older.

Sid and Geno have played in every game the last two seasons. Hell, earlier on in their career they missed a ton of games due to various injuries yet those teams still made the playoffs. They have more control then ever before and yet can't get it done. If you sincerely don't have any blame for them then you're just being a glorified fanboi. And keep this in mind, we won our Cup in 2017 WITHOUT Letang. You think about that now.
a little bit of contradiction to your point

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Lol, even Johe is saying that "the Penguins are simply a terrible defensive team".

But of course, that's because the "the indifference to playing smart, defensive hockey is very much part of the Penguins’ DNA", not coaching. Biology screwing us over once again!
Damn you Gregor Mendel!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
LOL….tomorrow night’s game is during “Fan Appreciation Night” :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Since the home crowd is too scared to get “Fire Sullivan” chants going, maybe we can toss a few bobbleheads or whatever promotional junk they’re giving away on the ice.

Y’know…after they lose.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Douglas Adams was right. We should have never left the f***ing tree
Why. Why must we play god? Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhy?
You really like whining about other people whining, don't you?

And what exactly do you expect when the team is making the same easily avoidable errors again and again? People to praise it and say "we will get them next time"?
I just think we should be proud that they kind of sort of tried.

It's the lack of even trying to adjust the most atrocious PP in memory until about 3 games ago that I find most inexcusable.
I think it absolutely reflects poorly on all involved, players, coaches, management. It's wild. Say what you will about Shero or Rutherford, but they wouldn't have let that slide. Hell, I don't even think Hextall would have let it go on all season, and he was pretty terrible.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it absolutely reflects poorly on all involved, players, coaches, management. It's wild. Say what you will about Shero or Rutherford, but they wouldn't have let that slide. Hell, I don't even think Hextall would have let it go on all season, and he was pretty terrible.
You think so? Shero stuck so hard to Dan Bylsma that it cost him his job. If he'd fired Bylsma sooner he might still be GM now.

I agree that JR probably wouldn't have tolerated it. Although JR also loved Sully so probably JR's version of not tolerating it would have been firing the assistants and making panic trades for powerplay help.

I am fascinated by what Dubas' vision is for this summer. Last summer he clearly had the optimistic view of hey I'll add a big fish in EK and add some other pieces and it will be enough to get us back into the playoff picture. Now that that (most likely) doesn't happen, there's no excuses for Sullivan or anyone else. Dubas can't look at this roster and have the same optimism that they turn it around next year. Decisions will have to be made.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jake has 24 points in 16 games since getting away from here.
Great, but when he was here he didn't help us win, last year or this one.

Yes, in hindsight they should have kept their first round picks…they also had opportunities to trade those picks for players like Tkuchuk and decided to spend them on Brassard and Kapanen…
We don't conclusively know that.

you got me at Schadenfreude :)

a little bit of contradiction to your point
No, it aptly illustrates my point.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You think so? Shero stuck so hard to Dan Bylsma that it cost him his job. If he'd fired Bylsma sooner he might still be GM now.
Bylsma was fired for accomplishing more than Sullivan outside of the Cup years, and rightfully so. But I don't think even Shero (or Bylsma!) would have been content to ice the 31st worst PP in the league for an entire season. Bylsma was a fraud, but he was a fraud who tried too hard to change things up. Sullivan is looking like a fraud who has absolutely no ideas.

Decisions will have to be made.
Allow me to be cynical, but based on past practice, no decisions of any importance will be made.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
LOL….tomorrow night’s game is during “Fan Appreciation Night” :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Since the home crowd is too scared to get “Fire Sullivan” chants going, maybe we can toss a few bobbleheads or whatever promotional junk they’re giving away on the ice.

Y’know…after they lose.
The PP might improve with those bobbleheads thrown on the ice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Keys to neutralizing the Pens' PP:
1-Pressure the points so they can't fire for deflections and they'll make an ill-advised pass that results in a breakaway the other way
2-Dmen just stand stationary and make sure the cross crease pass isn't available.

That's it. That's the key because our coaching staff literally has them doing those two things.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad