Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Frustrating loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Smith has been horribad for this team.

Is the a source on the oft-repeated line that he didn't want to come here?
Taylor Haase interviewed him about a month ago, and he said that he like playing for the pens, and he lives in Cranberry close by to other current penguins players with young kids too. Vegas fans loved him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One bright spot - Drew O-f***ing-Conner. Dude is turning into a beast. One of the few guys you can watch give 100% on every shift.
What about Bunting? How the hell can you not say he's a bright spot?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Taylor Haase interviewed him about a month ago, and he said that he like playing for the pens, and he lives in Cranberry close by to other current penguins players with young kids too. Vegas fans loved him.
Agreed, he likes it here, it just took a bit of time, which is very understandable.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Jarry is worse than all of them.

He is the worst starter in the NHL. Not even close. Was once again a massive detriment to the team in his first appearance in weeks. We know why Sullivan is terrified of playing him even when Ned is giving up 4-5 a game.

You clearly are too emotional about the subject to have a real discussion about it. This is just a factually wrong statement from top to bottom.

Korpisalo @ 4M for 5 years was a better option? hahahahahaha

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well that's not happening so the most I can hope for is Dubas trades Smith/Rakell/Jarry out because I think all three of those would be addition by subtraction
Great, so this will just happen again next season, and the season after, and after that...and after that....

Reactions: Pancakes

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Jarry is worse than all of them.

He is the worst starter in the NHL. Not even close. Was once again a massive detriment to the team in his first appearance in weeks. We know why Sullivan is terrified of playing him even when Ned is giving up 4-5 a game.
Jarry is not objectively worse than all of them, that's just silly.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Cole’s +/- :

+Murphy Bunting
+Mama B (Bartkowski is still on BAHSTON, right?)
+Pasta, Marshy (Sid’s other buddy), Torrence Krug - happy for them at least
-Morgan GEEKIE. Ironically and unsurprisingly, his wife is a 1000/10

-EK65
-Ned
-Jarrs
-Pretty much most of everyone else

Edit: also Tuukka, and Patrice Selke right?

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Interesting. Didn't know if there was any substance to the "he doesn't want to be here" line. It sounds like there isn't.

That aside, the guy scored 6 goals in his first 10 games here...and 6 goals since. He's also been invisible out there. I actually think a rotation of kids from WBS would have been better than Smith on the big Club this season.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Bunting maybe can get one more year out of Malkin. Fix 4th line. No Carter, No Smith hopefully and still with two decent forwards and physical LD and Pens are OK, Not great but OK.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Names.

All these magical 2M goalies and 3M forwards are great. You need names it back up the fantasy that going with two backups was the right move.

And sorry, Korpisalo makes 4M so unfortunately you can't use him haha.
Reimer signed for <2 million. Jonathan Quick did the same.

As for bottom sixers for 3m or so: Pius Suter signed for 3.2. Max Domi signed for $3 million. Matt Duchene signed for $3 million.

Daniel Sprong signed for $2million.

There's tons of guys the Pens could have signed with that money.

Question is whether they lose out goaltending-wise too much by doing so. TJ was good the first part of the season. Maybe Ned wears down if it's like Ned/Quick or Ned/Reimer or whomever

Reactions: metalan2

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Trade Jarry, Smith, Karlsson
Fire coaches

O'Connor Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Rakell
???? Eller ????
???? ???? ????

Joseph Letang
Pettersson ????
Graves St.Ivany
Shea Ludvig

????
????

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I have had a lot of bad takes in my 80k or whatever posts on this website, but I think arguing that Karlsson would be a huge addition for this team may be one of the worst ones. He's the definition of a "shitty team" player: he puts up big numbers on shit teams but you realize he's unplayable on teams who actually have playoff aspirations.

If he was making half of what he's making, there would be questions about whether the defensive miscues are worth the offense he provides. At $10 million? It's an absolute joke.
Truer words have never been spoken.

I seriously don't understand why he is a defenseman, who decided that in his young age and why? He has no f***ing idea how to defend. So frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Is that because he has been good or because everyone else has been bad?

Yes, he might be better than Petry and Rutta and the trade may still be worth it (especially if the 1st ends up like 15th overall). But that doesn't change that he makes $10 million a year for the Penguins, which is the 2nd highest paid defenseman in the NHL, while being nowhere even close to that caliber of player.

If he was making like $7 million a year, I think you say whatever and deal with the bad. But he doesn't make $7 million a year. Vince Dunn makes $7.35 million a year and I'd easily take Dunn over Karlsson at this point.
It's fair to want more than what we got from EK. But that trade was the only way to be rid of Petry/Rutta and EK provided way more value than those two would have even with all his warts defensively.

And the first is irrelevant now that the Pens aren't handing SJ an unprotected lottery pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad