Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Frustrating loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pretty lame to go on a miracle run just to lose out still, but that would be really fitting

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Not much to say about that loss. Love DOCs engagement out there. Who would have thought what a young player can do?!

Sully loves his vets and they keep shitting the bed. Smith is a disappointment but keeps getting minutes, I wouldn’t be surprised if his back on this 1st line next game.

#58 & #65 defend like headless chickens out there, it’s almost absurd how bad they are.

I don’t know, they got me back in it just to come about with something like this. I really hope they make a lot of changes in the summer…

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ryan Smith is terrible. Absolutely terrible on this team.

We had been playing with fire the last few games, caught up with them tonight.

We didn’t tank well and we screwed up a golden opportunity

Our D can be reallllly Dumb.

If you’ve seen my posts I’m an overly optimistic guy for the most part but Coaching and Jarry need to go in the summer

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
IMG_2278.jpeg

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Awful list is awful

Frederick Anderson - Stayed with his team
Korpisalo - one of the worst goalies in the league
Martin Jones - Been awful for years
Varlamov - Stayed with his team
Reimer - Been awful for years
Ranttaa - Stayed with his team

All are either worse than TJ or weren't available.

lol you put Korpisalo on the list
use that $5 to sign a cheap backup and ride Ned instead. Maybe Ned's play doesn't hold up with more games played though. He's certainly started to wear down lately now that they've been riding him.

But let's say $2million or so on a CDS type backup and then $3million on a bottom six player. Are we better off? I'd argue we might be

Reactions: Ulf5

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He literally carried Ottawa to within one goal of making the Stanley Cup finals.

He has had too many defensive miscues this year and he's a part of our terrible PP though. But I don't agree that he's a bad addition or not a net good. We control play way better with him on the ice than off.

If we miss the playoffs it will be for the same reasons we were bad most of the year: the bad PP (which EK is very much a part of, in fairness), bad finishing (Sully), and non existent bottom six scoring (Dubas' fault).

I'm honestly most disappointed in the last point because Dubas somehow put together an even worse bottom six than Hextall did.

The goaltending has been adequate, even though I think Tristan Jarry is a loser who never comes up big when we need him to. But he was good earlier in the season. As usual when we need a little extra later in the season he's unable to give it. Whatever.

Dubas desperately needs to offload some trash this off season. Rakell and Smith are huge drains every time they touch the ice. They can't skate and they kill every possession.
I get a new coach before I do drastic changes to this team unless it's to get younger. I wanna see Karlsson under a guy that can actually coach. There is a reason why everyone sucks under Sullivan, he sucks.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Well

12% chance at making playoffs. Need to get 4/4 points.

I am starting Ned next game
I can't blame either goalie for this game though and all the people blaming Jarry need to get some glasses for poor eye sight.

-D zone coverage.
-Smith line
-Letang & Karlsson

+PK
+DOC
+Bunting
I'd bench Smith for the next game, but that player would only play four minute that game.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I’ll be mildly bummed if they don’t make the playoffs but, I mean, you guys know they weren’t winning anything meaningful this year, right? Let’s try to keep that in mind before we burst in here with cringey “Crosby was the issue!” level hot takes.
Yeah, I mean depending on the matchup we were likely going to get bounced in 5-6 games, if not swept. But the heater this team went on to end the year just gave everyone real “one last ride” vibes. And that would’ve been pretty cool regardless of the result.

The reasons we are sitting here have been obvious all year. Coaching, awful PP, terrible depth, brain farts, blown leads, etc etc you name it. It’s hard to get too mad about a loss to a team that owns us, when we’ve clawed back to this position. There are so many what if moments over the last 79 games, pining anything on this game Is just pointless

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
use that $5 to sign a cheap backup and ride Ned instead. Maybe Ned's play doesn't hold up with more games played though. He's certainly started to wear down lately now that they've been riding him.

But let's say $2million or so on a CDS type backup and then $3million on a bottom six player. Are we better off? I'd argue we might be
Names.

All these magical 2M goalies and 3M forwards are great. You need names it back up the fantasy that going with two backups was the right move.

And sorry, Korpisalo makes 4M so unfortunately you can't use him haha.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I get a new coach before I do drastic changes to this team unless it's to get younger. I wanna see Karlsson under a guy that can actually coach. There is a reason why everyone sucks under Sullivan, he sucks.
Well that's not happening so the most I can hope for is Dubas trades Smith/Rakell/Jarry out because I think all three of those would be addition by subtraction

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania

This was brought up in the GDT by someone else.

Who? Who should have been brought in? There was nobody.

Reactions: Lustaf

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
More likely to get an extension than be fired.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Awful list is awful

Frederick Anderson - Stayed with his team
Korpisalo - one of the worst goalies in the league
Martin Jones - Been awful for years
Varlamov - Stayed with his team
Reimer - Been awful for years
Ranttaa - Stayed with his team

All are either worse than TJ or weren't available.

lol you put Korpisalo on the list
Jarry is worse than all of them.

He is the worst starter in the NHL. Not even close. Was once again a massive detriment to the team in his first appearance in weeks. We know why Sullivan is terrified of playing him even when Ned is giving up 4-5 a game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eh, still don't really agree. EK has been by far our best defenseman this year. It's not even close. He's given way more than what Petry/Rutta would have. It's not even a question.

Is that because he has been good or because everyone else has been bad?

Yes, he might be better than Petry and Rutta and the trade may still be worth it (especially if the 1st ends up like 15th overall). But that doesn't change that he makes $10 million a year for the Penguins, which is the 2nd highest paid defenseman in the NHL, while being nowhere even close to that caliber of player.

If he was making like $7 million a year, I think you say whatever and deal with the bad. But he doesn't make $7 million a year. Vince Dunn makes $7.35 million a year and I'd easily take Dunn over Karlsson at this point.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad