Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Bruins: Frustrating loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They played hard. Boston is a good team. There were just some unnecessary errors that cost us huge. You just can't make that many mistakes and expect to win against a team like the Bruins.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Smith has been horribad for this team.

Is the a source on the oft-repeated line that he didn't want to come here?

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Goalies the Penguins could have signed over Jarry -

Frederick Anderson
Korpisalo
Martin Jones
Varlamov
Reimer
Ranttaa

100% of them are better goalies.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well

12% chance at making playoffs. Need to get 4/4 points.

I am starting Ned next game
I can't blame either goalie for this game though and all the people blaming Jarry need to get some glasses for poor eye sight.

-D zone coverage.
-Smith line
-Letang & Karlsson

+PK
+DOC
+Bunting

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Boston on a milestone night is certainly a bad combo for a win.

Two games left not dealing with either of those things.

Reactions: farscape1

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I’ll be mildly bummed if they don’t make the playoffs but, I mean, you guys know they weren’t winning anything meaningful this year, right? Let’s try to keep that in mind before we burst in here with cringey “Crosby was the issue!” level hot takes.

Reactions: Andy99 and orby

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I feel Jarry should have started. First goal, Ned doesn't clamp it. Second goal, bad rebound. Third, he has to have that. All mistakes he wasn't making two weeks ago.

Sid and Geno had real quiet games. Bunting has been great though.
I have had a lot of bad takes in my 80k or whatever posts on this website, but I think arguing that Karlsson would be a huge addition for this team may be one of the worst ones. He's the definition of a "shitty team" player: he puts up big numbers on shit teams but you realize he's unplayable on teams who actually have playoff aspirations.

If he was making half of what he's making, there would be questions about whether the defensive miscues are worth the offense he provides. At $10 million? It's an absolute joke.

Except when he led his team to the playoffs in 11-12, 14-15, and 16-17, and led his team to within a goal of reaching the SCF on a broken foot. And then went to a WCF.

Reactions: trader997

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I have had a lot of bad takes in my 80k or whatever posts on this website, but I think arguing that Karlsson would be a huge addition for this team may be one of the worst ones. He's the definition of a "shitty team" player: he puts up big numbers on shit teams but you realize he's unplayable on teams who actually have playoff aspirations.

If he was making half of what he's making, there would be questions about whether the defensive miscues are worth the offense he provides. At $10 million? It's an absolute joke.
He literally carried Ottawa to within one goal of making the Stanley Cup finals.

He has had too many defensive miscues this year and he's a part of our terrible PP though. But I don't agree that he's a bad addition or not a net good. We control play way better with him on the ice than off.

If we miss the playoffs it will be for the same reasons we were bad most of the year: the bad PP (which EK is very much a part of, in fairness), bad finishing (Sully), and non existent bottom six scoring (Dubas' fault).

I'm honestly most disappointed in the last point because Dubas somehow put together an even worse bottom six than Hextall did.

The goaltending has been adequate, even though I think Tristan Jarry is a loser who never comes up big when we need him to. But he was good earlier in the season. As usual when we need a little extra later in the season he's unable to give it. Whatever.

Dubas desperately needs to offload some trash this off season. Rakell and Smith are huge drains every time they touch the ice. They can't skate and they kill every possession.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Take heart in the fact that the team's keen braintrust won't get to decide whether or not to gamble with next year's 1st rounder being lotto protected.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Goalies the Penguins could have signed over Jarry -

Frederick Anderson
Korpisalo
Martin Jones
Varlamov
Reimer
Ranttaa

100% of them are better goalies.
Awful list is awful

Frederick Anderson - Stayed with his team
Korpisalo - one of the worst goalies in the league
Martin Jones - Been awful for years
Varlamov - Stayed with his team
Reimer - Been awful for years
Ranttaa - Stayed with his team

All are either worse than TJ or weren't available.

lol you put Korpisalo on the list

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
EK with yet another special of his own. Getting sick of him really. Just gonna add one more scenario to squeak in. If the Isles lose in NJ, we will have a chance to leapfrog them in game 82.

That said, that 1-1-1 finish definitely doesn´t look like it gets us "FIRMLY" in.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
GIF-monic Institute — Rockin'!

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
Penguins showed heart. Boston wasn't even dominant at all. They were patient and opportunistic. Penguins again seem to refuse to make the prudent play with the puck. Can't have endless stupid turnovers and blown coverages at this time of year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except when he led his team to the playoffs in 11-12, 14-15, and 16-17, and led his team to within a goal of reaching the SCF on a broken foot. And then went to a WCF.

He literally carried Ottawa to within one goal of making the Stanley Cup finals.

2017 is not 2024.

I don't mean Karlsson has always been that way. I mean at this point in his career, he is a "shitty team" player. Just like Granlund used to be good but he's also now a "shitty team" player.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
2017 is not 2024.

I don't mean Karlsson has always been that way. I mean at this point in his career, he is a "shitty team" player. Just like Granlund used to be good but he's also now a "shitty team" player.
Eh, still don't really agree. EK has been by far our best defenseman this year. It's not even close. He's given way more than what Petry/Rutta would have. It's not even a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad