Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Blues

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Why do the Pens always save their best efforts for games I don't watch? If I decided to not watch another game all year, they probably win the Cup.

Glad to hear the coaching staff switched up the lines. Also nice to hear the new lines actually looked good. Hopefully MJ will stick with them this time, rather than defaulting to Sid/Kunitz as soon as they have a game where they don't score a point.

Kunitz is back on the 1st PP unit again, instead of Perron, which I think is really dumb.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why do people think Malkin is being a team player for having Kunitz on his line?

You guys are really out to lunch. This is Chris Kunitz, the same guy Sidney Crosby is ready to emasculate his coach for... you can't simultaneously believe THAT and then think Malkin feels burdened by him. Our perception of Kunitz is far-different than the players' perception of him.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Don't know if anyone's discussed this part yet, but my favorite part about what I saw was how the Pens were really irritating the Blues.

Funny how being the initiators causes the other team to go nuts and makes them look petulant.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Why do people think Malkin is being a team player for having Kunitz on his line?

You guys are really out to lunch. This is Chris Kunitz, the same guy Sidney Crosby is ready to emasculate his coach for... you can't simultaneously believe THAT and then think Malkin feels burdened by him. Our perception of Kunitz is far-different than the players' perception of him.

Huh? I didn't read that anywhere. I'm sure Malkin thinks Kunitz is a great player. Then again, to hear Geno tell it, the Pens are full of all star caliber guys. :laugh:

Look, we both know there's only one solution here. It's for the GM to save Sid and Geno from Kunitz.

Don't know if anyone's discussed this part yet, but my favorite part about what I saw was how the Pens were really irritating the Blues.

Funny how being the initiators causes the other team to go nuts and makes them look petulant.

Tarasenko was going bonkers. Then, Backes tried some retribution with Geno, and he ignored it, which only drove that team more bonkers. First time I've seen them pull it off like this in a long time.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

I loved Bortuzzo going at Backes. He's taken liberties in pretty much every game the Pens and Blues have played.

Bort needs to get that swagger and chip on his shoulder back and stop playing like he's afraid of getting suspended.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Another thing that may have been done to death in the GDT:

How awful is Scuderi at everything that involves having to do something with the puck?

I wish there was some sort of mathematical formula that shows everyone in the media who loves him that for every good play he makes with his positioning and "good stick," he negates it 10 times over with every Hal Gill like clear off the wall, his inability to skate his way out of trouble, and how he absolutely obliterates any cycle in the offensive zone when he becomes an option at the point. Add all that stuff up, and it doesn't come anywhere close to making up for what supposed good he does in the defensive zone.

And for God's sakes, Lapierre hasn't been quite the troll I was waiting for, but the guy is fast and works hard to get to the puck AND keep it. But all of that is once again destroyed by playing with one guy who shouldn't be in the NHL and another who's better suited for the ECHL. Can't stress enough how badly this needs improving.

And it really should be Beau out there with Geno and Comeau. It would make as good a second line we could come up with, but unfortunately it's going to take something drastically bad (moreso than now) from Kunitz for MJ to pull the trigger on dropping him to the third line.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think Lapierre has been gradually ramping up his physical play, but yeah, anything he does to gain possession or pressure defensemen is wasted on that line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Lapierre has been gradually ramping up his physical play, but yeah, anything he does to gain possession or pressure defensemen is wasted on that line.

Kind of the problem. Asking him to troll is tough when he's skating with two guys who require him to do everything in his power just to hold on for dear life. :laugh:

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Will always take a win if they play like this. Of course the next few games are the real test. Can they play like this consistently? Or did they play a somewhat disinterested Blues team, combined with some adrenaline from trade implications if they would lose. Also have to agree with those commenting that JR will make decisions based on overall play not on one or two victories after he makes those comments in the media. Maybe it's a way to gauge which players are really mailing it in, whilst showing other teams they can still be a positive. Anyway, let us hope that MJ won't inexplicably mess with the lines.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Biggest minus of the night goes to the St. Louis Blues Fans.

I don't care where you're from in the United States or what team you cheer for, you DO NOT CHANGE THE LYRICS TO THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER! It's absolutely insulting to anyone that has fought for this country. That anthem is for our nation, not for your ****ing sports team! Ridiculous that ANYONE would think that is acceptable.

On the hockey side of things.
+ Top 6 forwards including the line combo of Perron-Crosby-Horny, the other line combo wasn't great but I think if you switch Bennett for Comeau it could be better.

+Greiss, dude made the saves we needed when the Blues were in it. Wish we could have got him the shutout but the jackasses sitting behind me tonight wouldn't shut the **** up about how they wanted him to get a shutout starting after the first intermission. But then again they wouldn't shut the **** up about anything, really horrible representatives of our team...

+ Pens are 2-0 this season in games i've attended

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Lapierre seems to play with blinders on. That may not be a bad thing given his linemates though. :laugh:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Huh? I didn't read that anywhere. I'm sure Malkin thinks Kunitz is a great player. Then again, to hear Geno tell it, the Pens are full of all star caliber guys. :laugh:

Look, we both know there's only one solution here. It's for the GM to save Sid and Geno from Kunitz.

Tarasenko was going bonkers. Then, Backes tried some retribution with Geno, and he ignored it, which only drove that team more bonkers. First time I've seen them pull it off like this in a long time.

I think it's because someone said that "Malkin puts up with a lot" in the last page. If it's really the get-along-gang, then the entire team's core get along and Malkin wouldn't have an issue with playing with Kunitz like we do.

I loved the Pens this game, I thought it might be Greiss' best game. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Pens played well tomorrow against the Panthers and collapse against the Caps again. :laugh:

And yes, trade Kunitz. The sooner the better.

dbeats

Aint No Stoppin Us
Jan 16, 2013
Rochester, NY
How did st Louis change the anthem? I tried a quick googling and didn't see anything, but I've yet to completely wake up yet..

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Biggest minus of the night goes to the St. Louis Blues Fans.

I don't care where you're from in the United States or what team you cheer for, you DO NOT CHANGE THE LYRICS TO THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER! It's absolutely insulting to anyone that has fought for this country. That anthem is for our nation, not for your ****ing sports team! Ridiculous that ANYONE would think that is acceptable.

'Murica!!!

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

The Crosby , Perron , Hornqvist line needs to be left untouched, What people need to realize is that Kunitz is 35 and is no longer a first line winger. He may not even be a second line winger but he is better than anyone else this team has right now.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

I doubt such comments have much to do with Kunitz.
We hear about Sid demanding to play with Dupuis, to the detriment of the team. We hear about him demanding to play with Kunitz, to the detriment of the team. We see him get first shot at any winger not Neal (because Sid was injured, and still Bylsma said the plan was for Neal to play with Sid despite tearing it up with 71). We see Malkin get significantly fewer minutes even while playing as well or better. We see that when they mix up the PP, Malkin is categoricallly on the second unit. Etc. etc.

If Geno has an ego.... He is keeping it well hidden.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

I doubt such comments have much to do with Kunitz.
We hear about Sid demanding to play with Dupuis, to the detriment of the team. We hear about him demanding to play with Kunitz, to the detriment of the team. We see him get first shot at any winger not Neal (because Sid was injured, and still Bylsma said the plan was for Neal to play with Sid despite tearing it up with 71). We see Malkin get significantly fewer minutes even while playing as well or better. We see that when they mix up the PP, Malkin is categoricallly on the second unit. Etc. etc.

If Geno has an ego.... He is keeping it well hidden.

Malkin does not play fewer minutes than Crosby that is not factual. Malkin is a great player but he is not better than Crosby

Malkin112*

Malkin does not play fewer minutes than Crosby that is not factual. Malkin is a great player but he is not better than Crosby

Average TOI this season:
Sidney Crosby 19:52
Evgeni Malkin 19:15

Also Malkin's been better than Crosby against top competition long time now

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
as for Beau,,,,i don't think we will see the "real" Beau until he gets a full healthy summer in the gym. to rebuild up strength in his wrists. anyone who has had problems with their wrist knows it takes a long time before its right. but he has shone the skill that we thought he had. imo

dbeats

Aint No Stoppin Us
Jan 16, 2013
Rochester, NY
Average TOI this season:
Sidney Crosby 19:52
Evgeni Malkin 19:15

Also Malkin's been better than Crosby against top competition long time now

I would argue less than 40 seconds a night is an insignificant difference, and that he was right in saying Geno doesn't get "significantly less" TOI like the poster above said.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad