Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Avs | OTW | The ranch (team) comes first!

Who is worse:

• Ruh

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Dumo

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's a slightly sub-to-average backup that we're paying cheap money on. I think the point isn't that we shouldn't upgrade, (we should) but that he's giving us what we're paying for. The problem is that we cheaped out in net assuming that the blueline and the System would be enough to get us through, but our problems are too widespread for that approach to work.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's a slightly sub-to-average backup that we're paying cheap money on. I think the point isn't that we shouldn't upgrade, (we should) but that he's giving us what we're paying for. The problem is that we cheaped out in net assuming that the blueline and the System would be enough to get us through, but our problems are too widespread for that approach to work.

Yeah but like you just said... pretty much all goaltenders are like that. So I'm not exactly sure why everyone is so certain that simply throwing more money at the problem will fix it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Apparently CDS is fine now; no need to find an NHL backup anymore after one good game.

If you think this team is just a "good backup goalie" away from success, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The team structure, system or whatever you want to call it is a flat out disaster. They need to change personnel with trades or change their approach. Because this team is extremely flawed

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you think this team is just a "good backup goalie" away from success, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The team structure, system or whatever you want to call it is a flat out disaster. They need to change personnel with trades or change their approach. Because this team is extremely flawed
I agree that the team is flawed, but we’ve pissed away the last two seasons due to shoddy and injury prone goaltending. Why not try to fix it? Hextall has made you all give up so easily.

Suddenly, this fan base is okay with doing nothing, let the chips fall and hope for the best. Hextall created a lot of this mess - why is it outrageous to expect him to fix it?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah but like you just said... pretty much all goaltenders are like that. So I'm not exactly sure why everyone is so certain that simply throwing more money at the problem will fix it.
ideally, you throw mad money at the blueline not the goal. Because as much as everyone likes to claim that you build for cups from the net out, most of these cup winning teams rely on a legitimately great 1D or incredibly solid defensive corps.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
ideally, you throw mad money at the blueline not the goal. Because as much as everyone likes to claim that you build for cups from the net out, most of these cup winning teams rely on a legitimately great 1D or incredibly solid defensive corps.

Yeah I'd be way more down with that.

I've given up on my dream of them finding another play driver for L2 to supercharge that line so might as well. Tweeners forever is fine I guess.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I don’t think structure or system is going to change unfortunately…Sullivan is not being fired…and I don’t want a good backup goalie…what I want, what I think we all should want, is a 1B vet to platoon with Jarry…someone good enough that Sullivan would trust him to replace Jarry if we somehow get in the POs and Jarry isn’t very good again, or at least not outplaying the opposing goalie…because let’s face it, Jarry is a big unknown in the POs…and probably our only chance to beat Boston or Carolina is to have games like last night where we don’t deserve to win but somehow our goalie stands on his head lol

the D men we need are like Makar…fast, excellent passer and offensively gifted with the puck…we ain’t getting that lol at the deadline…a third pairing D does little to improve us

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I agree that the team is flawed, but we’ve pissed away the last two seasons due to shoddy and injury prone goaltending. Why not try to fix it? Hextall has made you all give up so easily.

Suddenly, this fan base is okay with doing nothing, let the chips fall and hope for the best. Hextall created a lot of this mess - why is it outrageous to expect him to fix it?

No team in the league is winning in the playoffs with their top two goaltenders out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DeSmith is neither solid nor bad. He's inconsistent, that's his issue. He'll follow up that godly performance last night with a 6 goal stinker against Anaheim.

In reality, what DeSmith is providing as a backup is completely normal. Backup goalies are backup goalies because they don't have the consistency to be good every game like starting goalies do. The skill gap between goalies is incredibly small for 99% of goalies. The issue with the Penguins is that Jarry has been so hurt this year that DeSmith is playing too much. He's already basically at his workload from last year so far this year and the season is only like 60% of the way done.

The issue with DeSmith is not what he's providing. The issue is that they need more than what he can provide because of Jarry's issues. If Jarry was actually healthy and playing like normal, no one would be complaining about DeSmith because DeSmith wouldn't be playing enough for anyone to complain about.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
DeSmith is neither solid nor bad. He's inconsistent, that's his issue. He'll follow up that godly performance last night with a 6 goal stinker against Anaheim.

In reality, what DeSmith is providing as a backup is completely normal. Backup goalies are backup goalies because they don't have the consistency to be good every game like starting goalies do. The skill gap between goalies is incredibly small for 99% of goalies. The issue with the Penguins is that Jarry has been so hurt this year that DeSmith is playing too much. He's already basically at his workload from last year so far this year and the season is only like 60% of the way done.

The issue with DeSmith is not what he's providing. The issue is that they need more than what he can provide because of Jarry's issues. If Jarry was actually healthy and playing like normal, no one would be complaining about DeSmith because DeSmith wouldn't be playing enough for anyone to complain about.

Which you can’t really change with our cap structure until next year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Which you can’t really change with our cap structure until next year.
Again, self-induced wounds.

Hextall botched the cap, but yet, he isn’t expected to make a move because of it.

It’s okay, sleepy will do better next summer!

He’s got the best gig in the NHL. He still has people falling for the “patient” approach. I checked a thesaurus under patience, and the words lazy and incompetent don’t appear. It’s like Matt Canada convincing people his system is so advanced that it takes several years to fully comprehend.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Again, self-induced wounds.

Hextall botched the cap, but yet, he isn’t expected to make a move because of it.

It’s okay, sleepy will do better next summer!

He’s got the best gig in the NHL. He still has people falling for the “patient” approach. I checked a thesaurus under patience, and the words lazy and incompetent don’t appear. It’s like Matt Canada convincing people his system is so advanced that it takes several years to fully comprehend.

He didn’t really botch the cap at all. Every team is over cap and can’t make moves.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Sticky this. Perfectly stated

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yep.

Fine would be .500 and he's not even close.

All you want for your backups is to go .500.

He's 8-14
Counting OT losses as pure losses is disingenuous, especially considering the appalling way the Pens have played in OTs this season. You can put Vasi in net and the team still loses most of those. Jarry has saved a grand total of 5 shots at 3 on 3 all season for a save percentage of 0.556. Yes, he is actually worse than DeSmith in OTs.
In all of DeSmith's OT losses, the Pens allowed at least 39 shots, honestly he was one of the main reasons we even got a point in these games. If you keep allowing 40+ shots overall and 15+ high danger chances against at 5 on 5, maybe it's not your backup goalie who is the problem but your horrible defense.

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
But he isn't our back-up. He's played 23 games and Jarry played 27.
LOL

He's a career backup. Not sure what you're trying to spin. :laugh:

Counting OT losses as pure losses is disingenuous, especially considering the appalling way the Pens have played in OTs this season. You can put Vasi in net and the team still loses most of those. Jarry has saved a grand total of 5 shots at 3 on 3 all season for a save percentage of 0.556. Yes, he is actually worse than DeSmith in OTs.
In all of DeSmith's OT losses, the Pens allowed at least 39 shots, honestly he was one of the main reasons we even got a point in these games. If you keep allowing 40+ shots overall and 15+ high danger chances against at 5 on 5, maybe it's not your backup goalie who is the problem but your horrible defense.
JFC

Another Vasi reference.....

I'd still bet the farm, that if Vasi was in net, he wouldn't give up 6 goals to the Sharks and 6 goals to the Panthers. :laugh:

I wonder if Gurg's still thinks he would. :laugh:

Apparently, 8-14 is more than adequate for a back up around these parts.
Clueless round here.

Last edited:

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I'd still bet the farm, that if Vasi was in net, he wouldn't give up 6 goals to the Sharks and 6 goals to the Panthers. :laugh:
Did I say that he would? He would have been hung out to dry in OT, however, just like both CDS and Jarry have been this season.

Incidentally, Vasi gave up 7 to the Panthers this very week, so you are wrong again.

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
Did I say that he would? He would have been hung out to dry in OT, however, just like both CDS and Jarry have been this season.

Incidentally, Vasi gave up 7 to the Panthers this very week, so you are wrong again.
Yep, he did give up 7 against the Panthers.

But you let me know when he gives up 6 to the Sharks. :laugh:

Then lost to the Sharks.
Brian Elliott was in net. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Most goaltenders will look shoddy on a team that just lets the badguys walk right down Broadway like 20 times a game while everyone halfheartedly waves their sticks on the way past. Especially so for a streaky guy like CDS.

Throw 10 more million at it and be doubly disappointed, I suppose.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca