Salary Cap: Pens trade talk Episode XXIV: Sleepy where are you?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
in the POs Carter there is fine…don’t want him playing too many minutes in the RS because he gets worn down and hasn’t been nearly as good as he was last year…I’d like to see us move Kap for a better RW fit…

See, this is what they can't afford, swapping pieces one for one. That's fine when you have true depth, but this team clearly doesn't. You want to find that depth that either works with Geno and pushes Kap down to Carter, or that piece that just goes to Carter.

They have very little time here to find out if Heinen, E-Rod and Kap can pick up their play to be 2nd/3rd line consistent contributors.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Depth forward and depth defensemen is what we can afford and expect to get. Neither should cost all that much. Truthfully if Jarry doesn't play well we're sunk anyhow (most likely). I'm actually more intrigued by Domingue than Desmith. But between the two of them I think we'd be ok for a game or two in the post season.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Its hard to make adjustments when your winning. So these next few weeks against good teams will be telling.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I just want to make it out of the 1st round

We all do. But look at Crosby and Malkin in their prime.

07 - First Round Exit
10 - Second Round Exit (beat a terrible Ottawa team)
11 - N/A
12 - First Round Exit
14 - Second Round Exit (beat a terrible CBJ team)
15 - First Round exit
18 - Second Round exit (beat a terrible Flyers team)

9 of their 16 playoff runs have been 1st round exits or 2nd round exits after beating an underdog. Isles were above us in 19 and went to the ECF two years in a row after beating us in 21.

Reactions: Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Its hard to make adjustments when your winning. So these next few weeks against good teams will be telling.
We are winning but three of the four lines are sucking. It should not be so burdensome to make some changes even though you are winning (against crappy teams).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sure I'd like to see that. But Hextalls comments recently and general conservative (shrewd) approach. I don't anticipate a big splash. Maybe he hits on a Carter like deal again...

Maybe. But whatever Hextall does, this is a team that needs another high end wing to be a serious contender.

The 2nd line's a joke.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I’d absolutely love him here. But I worry that a guy like that is going to command a massive return. Like, after Miller and Giroux he has to be the most coveted forward out there. And if Giroux is calling his shot, then I’m sure Pavs fetches more.

Still, he’d be perfect here. Tough, driven, producing like crazy still, crafty. His work rate and attitude makes him seem like he was born to be on this team. Him and Sid would probably be best buds overnight as he seems like an overachieving, gym rat type. Add in his lack of a cup and adding Pavs would probably be like injecting speed into that locker room’s veins.

For sure.

I'm willing to give up a massive return for a massive upgrade. I'd say this roster demands it.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
We are winning but three of the four lines are sucking. It should not be so burdensome to make some changes even though you are winning (against crappy teams).

ooo for sure I agree. but the second you make a move and the team starts losing its your fault. Also with the price CAL just paid, I am ok with them waiting a bit

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
because Sully either doesn’t care about Ls2 and 3 or can’t figure out how to fix it, he needs to break up L1…at least experiment with it until we see if there’s any moves by the TDL

It sickens me to read Hex & Burke speak glowingly about their coach, especially with how the past 3 seasons have all ended in dumpster fires. If not fired this past offseason, Sully at the very least should have been placed on the hot seat.

Maybe they realized that their window is closed, no matter what moves were made, and have targeted the regular season as their goal for a successful season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It sickens me to read Hex & Burke speak glowingly about their coach, especially with how the past 3 seasons have all ended in dumpster fires. If not fired this past offseason, Sully at the very least should have been placed on the hot seat.

Maybe they realized that their window is closed, no matter what moves were made, and have targeted the regular season as their goal for a successful season.
I too wonder if they measure success as simply making the playoffs. Fans sure seem to think that way this season.

I think they hired Hextall thinking they were about to start the rebuild but the team overachieved last season, so now we are in this weird purgatory. Sleepy isn’t the guy to build in the fly quickly; it’s a bad match right now.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Cannot win with our fourth line the way it is. Boyle is seemingly ok, but Simon and ZAR, regardless of their one good game vs the Devils are black holes. I don't care if Simon "possess" the puck, he should not be playing every day and certainly not in the playoffs.

Play Zohorna and other young guys if it comes to it.

That being said, the Penguins should completely redo the bottom three lines. I would re-do all four, but that's never gonna happen.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
When the Pens hired Burke, I was so very excited. Reading this article in the Trib last week........

After a year in Pittsburgh, executive Brian Burke is high on the Penguins' future

“The hero of this team so far is Mike Sullivan, no question in my mind. No. 1"

"We don’t have much (in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton)"

“We’re very proud of the changes that we’ve made. It’s not about adding diversity. It’s about adding quality people that make you diverse.” :huh:

Sports used to be about sports..... "everything dies baby that's a fact, and everything that dies some day comes back"..... not sure that Springsteen was right on that latter part of his lyric......

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We all do. But look at Crosby and Malkin in their prime.

07 - First Round Exit
10 - Second Round Exit (beat a terrible Ottawa team)
11 - N/A
12 - First Round Exit
14 - Second Round Exit (beat a terrible CBJ team)
15 - First Round exit
18 - Second Round exit (beat a terrible Flyers team)

9 of their 16 playoff runs have been 1st round exits or 2nd round exits after beating an underdog. Isles were above us in 19 and went to the ECF two years in a row after beating us in 21.

And we've lost in the 1st round the past 3 seasons. I get that occasional 1st round bounces happen, but man that's a terrible trend.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

It sickens you?

Coaches get compliments all the time, up until the day they're fired.

Not that the coach is above criticism. They all have a shelf life. But so far this year I've seen the consensus that we're near the top in man games lost, got two old centers, got no real depth, got no big name defensemen, got no prospects, got a goalie who shat the bed last postseason (and he did). Yeah I'd say a coach deserves respect after that. I mean I personally expected much less from this squad.

But I'm sure I'll be frustrated myself with a round one exit.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad