Salary Cap: Pens trade talk Episode XXIV: Sleepy where are you?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The only way I see it is if it’s to complete some dream he’s always had of playing there. That’s if it even is a dream of his.

It's also possible his dream is a giant bucket full of money tbf. Even if Montreal would be smart to admit their window to win and Letang's window to be worth a giant bucket of money come nowhere near to coinciding and shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: OnMyOwn

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Malkin will need more than a mid-tier wing. He's got that in Kapanen.

We need one of the big impending UFA fish.

Sure I'd like to see that. But Hextalls comments recently and general conservative (shrewd) approach. I don't anticipate a big splash. Maybe he hits on a Carter like deal again...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Overall, I think it is stupid to compare this team to Florida, Colorado or Tampa. This team is never going to be a favorite against those three teams. I take us against every other playoff team though. Maybe not Calgary.

i wouldn’t take us against the Wild or Carolina either…either way we’re not a contender as constituted….your arguments, as you say, also point to us splitting up L1…for whatever reason, it’s the right answer right now…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
No doubt, it's incredibly challenging.

Though running a similar formula that has not produced in recent years doesn't help. We need both top 6 lines scoring 5v5. Maybe it can't happen but running GCR and say Zuck-G-Kap...well I am pretty certain how that ends.

we actually need to run four lines in the POs….not a fourth line that just treads water and plays less than 10 min…will help our top two lines tremendously…does Sully see this? I dunno because he’s still overplaying Sid in the RS

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly I'd be completely content with just adding a good 3rd goalie that they can stash in WBS. You can argue that they already have that in Domingue, but I just don't want another Legace situation.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't have a bunch of stuff to back this with but I find it really hard to see this as anything other than a bluff to see how much money he can get. I struggle to see Letang's ego wanting to spend his last years in the league losing and getting blamed for it as the big bucks man on the team.

I could very easily be wrong mind.
I think He ain't going anywhere, unless the difference is over $2.5M. He has it really good here, he is beloved by the local media and fans for the most part, if he goes to Montreal lets say for $10M, he would be chastised after the first PP he f***s up...

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
we actually need to run four lines in the POs….not a fourth line that just treads water and plays less than 10 min…will help our top two lines tremendously…does Sully see this? I dunno because he’s still overplaying Sid in the RS

No doubt. Though don't say that too loud. Some will come out and berate you for wanting to see any semblance of offense from a 4th line.

If we work with our current cast. I sure hope we spread our top 6 talent to see if we can generate impact.

The biggest thing is we need to try things in the regular season when we have more luxury...not panic shuffle lines in game 6 of the playoffs as we get ready to get ousted.

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
we are Malkin away from being a true contender....
If Geno can be 85% force he once was (3 years agao), than we have four lines each can be really solid...you got the third line with JC or EROd and fourth line will be solid with Blueger anyways...

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Honestly I'd be completely content with just adding a good 3rd goalie that they can stash in WBS. You can argue that they already have that in Domingue, but I just don't want another Legace situation.

Honestly Jarry has bounced back so incredibly well, we almost have no choice but to hope he has grown enough. I don't think we'll be able to find an affordable 1B anymore.

If he keeps up top tier goaltending our playoff chances grow significantly.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If Geno can be 85% force he once was (3 years agao), than we have four lines each can be really solid...you got the third line with JC or EROd and fourth line will be solid with Blueger anyways...

Right but we need to provide Geno the wings to be that player.

Try him with Guentzel and Carter. That's my hope.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

hes not going to be the force he once was at age 35…he needs more help on the wings than he’s getting…Sid gets that help…we’re not anywhere with just the first line being good 5on5

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
GCR + Vezina Jarry definitely works in the regular season.

GCR being our only threat 5v5 come playoff time is an issue. It's a notable concern if we want to compete for one last cup run.

I think it's reasonable for people to want to get Geno's line running effectively whether it's through shuffling our top 6 strength or acquiring a good wing. The latter seeming less likely by comments made by the GM.

Agreed which is why I think Sullivan needs to start trying different combinations here and there. Tough with COVID and injuries but realistically, we can't break up GCR. So we have some figuring to do in the bottom 9. And it can't just be "well...roll the lines we did last time." I mean, that might be fine to start but there has to be a willingness to change it up. That's where Sullivan has to actually coach. As much as we worry about players performing 5v5 and goalies...I worry about Sullivan being Sully come playoff time just about as much as anything.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
No doubt. Though don't say that too loud. Some will come out and berate you for wanting to see any semblance of offense from a 4th line.

If we work with our current cast. I sure hope we spread our top 6 talent to see if we can generate impact.

The biggest thing is we need to try things in the regular season when we have more luxury...not panic shuffle lines in game 6 of the playoffs as we get ready to get ousted.
I hated having them play Boyle, but he has some pair of mitts there...he can actually score...but I think that all is moot point cause if we are healthy our fourth lien is ZAR Bluegs and McGinn anyway and they should be able to chip in an occasional goal

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

in the POs Carter there is fine…don’t want him playing too many minutes in the RS because he gets worn down and hasn’t been nearly as good as he was last year…I’d like to see us move Kap for a better RW fit…

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Sid's under 20 a night for only the second season since Sully got here. That's less than Ovie and Kopitar, who are the same age as him. I don't think he's getting overplayed at all. How many minutes a night do you want him to play?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Defense + backup goalie. Run this like 2017 where we picked up some extras that didn't seem too hot but they were great depth just in case. I do not feel confident in Marino's play averaging out towards the end here, Matheson being a complete rollercoaster, and depending on Ruh. Pets has been solid but averaged out as well. Dumo.. holy shit good and bad.

Our defense just needs to be padded a little bit. That can't be on Jarry only. The forwards have to help, sure, but I would want to see a depth guy brought in.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I thought that way for many weeks…but seeing how Jarry has kept up his play and how we’re winning, this team actually has a chance to go deep with a trade for a top six scoring talent…I’d rather see Hextall not sit on his hands but make a big move and give up one of our prospects and/or a first round pick to land some help…team is dead in the water otherwise…backup goalie would be great too but not sure we have the capital to fix all of our weaknesses…best bang for the buck is a top six winger who can drive play and score and he should pay the price..he owes it to the team

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sid's under 20 a night for only the second season since Sully got here. That's less than Ovie and Kopitar, who are the same age as him. I don't think he's getting overplayed at all. How many minutes a night do you want him to play?

Around 18 min and 17 for Geno…also I know Sid is good at getting blocks at the end of the game and getting the puck out for EN goals, but does he need to play every tight game at the end of the game?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

please forget about that...arguing breaking GCR makes no sense, it won't happen unless someone gets hurt or we are down 3:0 in a playoff series...I think their focus should be to find someone to play on that line within that group, I'd try everything until something works...I brought this up earlier maybe getting sick of Kappy's pull up game, maybe move him to the left wing and force him to do more east west...that way he may be better fit...dunno, its hard to figure out what else could work...maybe try Carter on that line asa winger, none of that will work if they force Geno to play this defensive minded hockey, he spends half of his time behind our goal fighting on the wall, get the puck and pushes to McGinn or Kappy who dump puck to nowhere, than get back again...they need to find the way to keep that puck in the offensive zone or get through the NZ in threes...that would require someone other than Geno to play that F3 guy or somekind of hybrid...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
please forget about that...arguing breaking GCR makes no sense, it won't happen unless someone gets hurt or we are down 3:0 in a playoff series...I think their focus should be to find someone to play on that line within that group, I'd try everything until something works...I brought this up earlier maybe getting sick of Kappy's pull up game, maybe move him to the left wing and force him to do more east west...that way he may be better fit...dunno, its hard to figure out what else could work...maybe try Carter on that line asa winger, none of that will work if they force Geno to play this defensive minded hockey, he spends half of his time behind our goal fighting on the wall, get the puck and pushes to McGinn or Kappy who dump puck to nowhere, than get back again...they need to find the way to keep that puck in the offensive zone or get through the NZ in threes...that would require someone other than Geno to play that F3 guy or somekind of hybrid...

because Sully either doesn’t care about Ls2 and 3 or can’t figure out how to fix it, he needs to break up L1…at least experiment with it until we see if there’s any moves by the TDL

Reactions: pistolpete11

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
If Dallas falls out, we need to throw everything into Pavs.
I’d absolutely love him here. But I worry that a guy like that is going to command a massive return. Like, after Miller and Giroux he has to be the most coveted forward out there. And if Giroux is calling his shot, then I’m sure Pavs fetches more.

Still, he’d be perfect here. Tough, driven, producing like crazy still, crafty. His work rate and attitude makes him seem like he was born to be on this team. Him and Sid would probably be best buds overnight as he seems like an overachieving, gym rat type. Add in his lack of a cup and adding Pavs would probably be like injecting speed into that locker room’s veins.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The whole “I get to play at home” thing would have to be a really big deal for Letang to go there. Montreal eats it’s star players alive.

I remember when Lecavalier was rumored to go there every summer despite never showing any interest in doing so. Which I mean would he? He got to make boatloads of money with relative anonymity in a state with no income tax and didn’t have to deal with extra pressure because he could speak 2 languages.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd point out we've still got a month and 14 games to go to the deadline. We've seen opinions on what this team should swing a lot this season and I don't think there's going to be a firm plan until we've played 10-12 of those games.

It's also quite a few games to play with lines 2 and 3 in without going for breaking up GCR.

Around 18 min and 17 for Geno…also I know Sid is good at getting blocks at the end of the game and getting the puck out for EN goals, but does he need to play every tight game at the end of the game?

Yeah, those numbers just aren't going to happen. You might be able to argue 19 for Sid but most guys around his age who are still powerhouses are playing around 19 or more.

The only way they're going to happen is if we start getting a bunch of big wins where we can afford to rest guys late on.

And I think it's reasonable to prioritise the team's momentum over the injury risk to Sid of playing those last minutes.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I mean that's a big part of he gets his points now. And GCR are basically automatic at cashing in on Empty Netters and putting away the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad