Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Bjugstad to Wild (2m retained for conditional 7th)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m guessing the FO has some idea on where Bjugstad’s health is and what it’s likely to be next season.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
And so do I! And the severance package is based on what they did and how long they were employed prior to being let go. For example: IF you work for a company for say two years and I work for that same company for say ten years, and we had similar jobs within the company, my severance package relative to yours would be much more lucrative.

Instead of trying to play I know more than you on this maybe you want to bring it back to the initial point of why you would pay to get rid of someone who isn’t performing for you and how it relates to Bjugstad and why this decision was made by GMJR and how it relates to the Pens.

This back and forth proving what you know or don’t know about severance has ran it’s comedic value.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Instead of trying to play I know more than you on this maybe you want to bring it back to the initial point of why you would pay to get rid of someone who isn’t performing for you and how it relates to Bjugstad and why this decision was made by GMJR and how it relates to the Pens.

This back and forth proving what you know or don’t know about severance has ran it’s comedic value.
Again from the Dept of Labor:
Severance pay is often granted to employees upon termination of employment. It is usually based on length of employment for which an employee is eligible upon termination. There is no requirement in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for severance pay. Severance pay is a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative). The Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) may be able to assist an employee who did not receive severance benefits under their employer-sponsored plan. Please contact EBSA if you have any questions.

I'm not making this up. lol

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I’m guessing the FO has some idea on where Bjugstad’s health is and what it’s likely to be next season.

They are smartly hedging their bets based on his prior history of being injured and the odds of him missing chunks of time again and the odds of him adding positive value to the team at a $4.1m cap hit.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Again from the Dept of Labor:
Severance pay is often granted to employees upon termination of employment. It is usually based on length of employment for which an employee is eligible upon termination. There is no requirement in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for severance pay. Severance pay is a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative). The Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) may be able to assist an employee who did not receive severance benefits under their employer-sponsored plan. Please contact EBSA if you have any questions.

I'm not making this up. lol

No you are just trolling at this point. You’ve proved you can use Google. Congratulations.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think people are acknowledging how much the flat cap and huge financial hit of the pandemic is going to impact moves this off-season.

Traditional salary dumps aren't going to happen. Most will look like this. Tons of teams have to clear space just to be cap compliant, let alone have room to sign free agents.

Sooner people realize that this will not be a normal off-season, the better.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
There are some interesting quotes by JR in The Athletic. It might cast this trade in a different light for some.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
It's not the worst trade ever.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't buyout his contract or bury him on LTIR.

Reactions: Andy99

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Do tell please. Coles notes are fine.

The covid situation means a lot of teams don't know how much money they'll be able to make, which means a lot of teams are scrambling to cut their expenditure, and cap hit, in order to facilitate this. JR also makes the point that a lot of teams were anticipating a rise in cap of between $3-6M, which obviously did not happen with the pandemic. A lot of teams are in shitty situations.

My personal opinion is that a lot of teams are going to operate on internal caps which are far lower than the actual cap, until everything is back to normal. If it ever is. I doubt you'll see many pure cap dumps where a team takes on 100% of the salary of the cap dump.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Yeah, that was my thought also. Big guys with back injuries don't typically heal. It brings me back to Mario and how much he struggled his entire career with his back. With Bjugstad it sounds like a degenerative though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The covid situation means a lot of teams don't know how much money they'll be able to make, which means a lot of teams are scrambling to cut their expenditure, and cap hit, in order to facilitate this. JR also makes the point that a lot of teams were anticipating a rise in cap of between $3-6M, which obviously did not happen with the pandemic. A lot of teams are in shitty situations.

My personal opinion is that a lot of teams are going to operate on internal caps which are far lower than the actual cap, until everything is back to normal. If it ever is. I doubt you'll see many pure cap dumps where a team takes on 100% of the salary of the cap dump.

The people angry with this trade seem to be missing these points.

I just find it funny people are mad JR created cap space without using an asset.

In the current environment where most teams are in a bad way with the cap, I thought it would cost a third to move out Bju in this exact type of scenario with half retention.

Yet we got people bitching... because they want JR to have more cap space.

Uh, why?

When he has extra space he uses it on guys like Bju, Gubs and JJ.

Put the puzzle pieces together folks.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I thought jr would have to send an asset for someone to take bjug. This is a solid compromise.

Between Schultz and Bjug leaving they cleared $7 million in cap space. If they trade MM that's an extra $4-5 million.

I think our cap situation will be fine.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sucks having to retain 2 mil on any deal, but Bjugstad wasn't a fit here and regularly injured...but not injured enough to be LTIRed for the year. At least he's gone.

What's probably irking most people is that if we have to retain 50% on Bjugstad, what is the ungodly price we'll have to pay to rid ourselves of JJ?

Reactions: EightyOne

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
What's probably irking most people is that if we have to retain 50% on Bjugstad, what is the ungodly price we'll have to pay to rid ourselves of JJ?

People don't want to hear this, but I think the best option is going to be to bribe Seattle to take him next year. It'll cost a draft pick, presumably high, but then you're rid of his entire cap hit. So he'll be here for however many games are played next season.

Borgir

Jan 16, 2010
dEdmonton Alberta
Instead of seeing the continued overreaction to this trade last night, I watched a documentary on the Rwandan genocide. And the people who were interviewed in it had a more level-headed reaction to what they went through than those complaining about this trade.
LGDIOIE5Jp_UXejVkPH624QXdg66kmWkk7RGfV4ciMYjRWwcvXOh49jEvUj0O74H8-agsb8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad