Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Bjugstad to Wild (2m retained for conditional 7th)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Instead of seeing the continued overreaction to this trade last night, I watched a documentary on the Rwandan genocide. And the people who were interviewed in it had a more level-headed reaction to what they went through than those complaining about this trade.

Yeah but we're talking about retaining salary in a hockey trade. How bad is genocide in the grand scheme of things?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Instead of seeing the continued overreaction to this trade last night, I watched a documentary on the Rwandan genocide. And the people who were interviewed in it had a more level-headed reaction to what they went through than those complaining about this trade.

Um...It's all relative.

How important are cash retained trades with a stipulation that basically means you'll never see that pick coming this way anyway and therefore you got rid of a player by paying $2mil, over on your genocide forum?

Huh?
HUH?

b6ffb9f9233e9ed17f0e81b6f5fc0399.gif

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone with access to Yohe's article. Was there any elaboration on the level of free agents he'd be looking at?

With even a few RFAs joining this free agent crop, there's a shit ton of players who could help us.

Too bad I have zero trust in JR with free agency.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Buying him out would have cost them more cash. They sacrificed cap space to save cash. Full explanation below. It’s likely to be the norm for many teams this offseason considering the huge financial impact this has for the teams/owners.
Oh my God, are the Penguins turning the clock back to the early 2000’s?
As a fan, I can only care about cap implications.

I literally do not care about real cash costs.

Therefore, it's a pretty much cutting off your nose to spite the face by willingly trashing 2mil of cap on a notoriously cap crunched team so save a bit of real cash.

It's borderline reckless NOT to have bought him out.

Reactions: PhilThrillPill

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Anyone with access to Yohe's article. Was there any elaboration on the level of free agents he'd be looking at?

With even a few RFAs joining this free agent crop, there's a shit ton of players who could help us.

Get ready for Gudas at 5.75 mil for four years.

Reactions: BillPrep and Andy99

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

The Penguins employ numerous restricted free agents they’ll need to re-sign, namely their presumptive No. 1 goalie, Tristan Jarry. According to Puckpedia.com, they were around $7.7 million under the cap before the Bjugstad trade.

Now they are inching toward having $10 million in cap space. They need to sign Jarry and also are likely to sign restricted free agents Jared McCann and Sam Lafferty. Dominik Simon is another restricted free agent they could consider bringing back.

If they sign all of those restricted free agents, they’ll be very close to the cap.
Thus, if they are to make a dent in the unrestricted-free-agent market, the Penguins need to unload a player who makes a significant amount of money. Murray is a restricted free agent, so dealing him wouldn’t offer any cap relief.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Therefore, it's a pretty much cutting off your nose to spite the face by willingly trashing 2mil of cap on a notoriously cap crunched team so save a bit of real cash.

It is not borderline reckless not to have bought him out. It obviously just shows that the Pens are losing money big time with not having fans in the seats and most likely having less games next year also. Teams need the revenue to be able to spend to the cap.

Obviously we don't have that revenue and for the first time in a long time Pens are making deals with real money being a factor. Scary times I must admit but the good thing is we do have our top 6 forwards and top 4 defenseman signed.

My guess is be prepared to see JJ traded with the same type of deal with Pens trying to save real cash. The good news is I think we will get to see some young players get in the lineup such as POJ, Poulin, and maybe even Maniscalco.

The Pens are going to have a real cash cap much lower than usual. I think the Pens still will be just as good with doing this because they are getting rid of the right players and the additions of Kapanen, Poulin, POJ, and even Maniscalco could all be a net positive of the people they would replace. Kapanen will be better on Crosby's wing than any RW we had last year. POJ will be light years better than JJ. Schultz was honestly worse than JJ last season and Maniscalco or whoever takes that spot on the cheap can't be any worse than the way Schultz played. Poulin can give us good play as our 3 LW.

I think the Pens can be just as good and maybe better with this strategy. Then at the deadline fill the holes for a better player at a position or two when the real cash expense will be cut in half or more. This is the time we are living in at the moment and I will be excited to see the young guys play. Like I said I could actually see us being better with this strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Did you just ignore what the conversation was about? It was about paying assets to get rid of Bjugstad's contract. I'm saying it's a bad move from a win-now perspective to retain money over paying assets to not retain.
But maybe no team would take Bjugstad even with assets thrown in since EVERY team is going to be in a cap crunch just about. Maybe it wasn't going to be Bjugstad+3rd for nothing because Guerin didn't want to take his contract on for that much. It's not like the wild are flush with cash either.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh

Like someone mentioned earlier, hes got those JR eyes deadset on a target of his. We all know how that ends up, its just a matter of how overpaid or overtermed that target is.

It could be someone like Chris Tanev or Radko Gudas, as its been mentioned. This is the first time hes mentioned being a player for UFAs so expect more cap moving out. He also sad its been extremely busy the league and his phone have been ringing off the hook.

Hold onto your butts

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It is not borderline reckless not to have bought him out. It obviously just shows that the Pens are losing money big time with not having fans in the seats and most likely having less games next year also. Teams need the revenue to be able to spend to the cap.

Obviously we don't have that revenue and for the first time in a long time Pens are making deals with real money being a factor. Scary times I must admit but the good thing is we do have our top 6 forwards and top 4 defenseman signed.

My guess is be prepared to see JJ traded with the same type of deal with Pens trying to save real cash. The good news is I think we will get to see some young players get in the lineup such as POJ, Poulin, and maybe even Maniscalco.

The Pens are going to have a real cash cap much lower than usual. I think the Pens still will be just as good with doing this because they are getting rid of the right players and the additions of Kapanen, Poulin, POJ, and even Maniscalco could all be a net positive of the people they would replace. Kapanen will be better on Crosby's wing than any RW we had last year. POJ will be light years better than JJ. Shultz was honest worse than JJ last season and Maniscalco or whoever takes that spot on the cheap can't be any worse than the way Schultz played. Poulin can give us good play as our 3 LW.

I think the Pens can be just as good and maybe better with this strategy. Then at the deadline fill the holes for a better player at a post or two when the real cash expense will be cut in half or more. This is the time we are living in at the moment and I will be excited to see the young guys play. Like I said I could actually see us being better with this strategy.

given the uncertainties the next couple years as well, I don’t think the Pens can afford to retain 50% on JJ...yes, it’s a little less money than Bjug, but the reason for the high retention on him was that it was a one year thing, with Marino coming up for a raise next year...I don’t see them retaining $1.6 mil for the next three years on JJ...either send an asset out with him if they have one that makes sense now or at the TDL/expansion draft or waive him...

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
This team is a marginal playoff team if you enter the year with that. That team is worse than the team that lost to Montreal last year.
I disagree. Replacing Marleau with Kapanen is huge. Replacing JJ-Schultz with Riikola-Ruhwedel is huge. The team is younger, cheaper and better.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
And maybe you don't get that having $2 million in dead cap space with a stagnant cap greatly hurts the Penguins ability to win next year.
It's really not that big of a deal. If they can lose JJ's entire contract without retention then this off season will be pretty damn good overall. Shed the dead weight, add youth, save money. I actually *like* what JR is doing so far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's really not that big of a deal. If they can lose JJ's entire contract without retention then this off season will be pretty damn good overall. Shed the dead weight, add youth, save money. I actually *like* what JR is doing so far.

And if I won the lottery, I wouldn't have to work anymore :laugh:

This team isn't getting rid of JJ this offseason. Whether you want to say "they won't" or "they can't" doesn't matter, Johnson's contract is flat out unmovable right now.

Reactions: BillPrep

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
And if I won the lottery, I wouldn't have to work anymore :laugh:

This team isn't getting rid of JJ this offseason. Whether you want to say "they won't" or "they can't" doesn't matter, Johnson's contract is flat out unmovable right now.
I think NHL GMs will value JJ more than Bjugstad. JJ plays games and is physical. Some neanderthal GM will probably take him for a significant discount. Granted we won't know unless a deal happens, but I actually believe we will get rid of him.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Like someone mentioned earlier, hes got those JR eyes deadset on a target of his. We all know how that ends up, its just a matter of how overpaid or overtermed that target is.

It could be someone like Chris Tanev or Radko Gudas, as its been mentioned. This is the first time hes mentioned being a player for UFAs so expect more cap moving out. He also sad its been extremely busy the league and his phone have been ringing off the hook.

Hold onto your butts

I don't think you get it. Pens are not going to spend big on any UFA. Pens have stated they are going to have a budget of low to mid $70 million. So Pens won't be bringing in any UFA unless they are coming cheap. You are looking at something like this.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Poulin-Blueger-Tanev
ZAR-Lafferty-Simon

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ/Riikola-Maniscalco/Ruhwedel

Jarry
DeSmith

Traded: Murray, Hornqvist, JJ, McCann

This is something close to our lineup to get down that low with real cash and cap. Obviously might get a 3C in a trade for one of our players we are trading. That player will be someone with a low cap hit. Pens might also bring in a 3rd pairing defenseman in a trade. They would be looking for someone on an entry level deal like they did with Pettersson and Marino.

Thinking Rutherford is bringing in any UFA with a cap hit of more than a bargain price is fantasy. Pens will spend near the cap at the deadline when it is half the real cash.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Riikola - Ruhwedel was a terrible pairing when it was employed and would be the worst third pairing in the league. 2 #7s, both undersized getting hemmed into their own zone against heavy teams.

I think we’re stuck with JJ and just need to play him to his strengths (PK) and give him a partner that masks his weaknesses.

Reactions: JTG

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Riikola - Ruhwedel was a terrible pairing when it was employed and would be the worst third pairing in the league. 2 #7s, both undersized getting hemmed into their own zone against heavy teams.

I think we’re stuck with JJ and just need to play him to his strengths (PK) and give him a partner that masks his weaknesses.

I think POJ takes that job easily.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

There lies the problem, a million roided up super Larry Murphy's could mask JJ's weaknesses.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Fyi Toronto is still picking up some of Kessels salary.

Yinz act like we're the only team in history to have dead cap space
When the Leafs made that deal they didn't fancy themselves as serious cup contenders. The circumstances are decidedly different. Also, the % that was retained is also decidedly different.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

This is such a bad take. "I don't care about finances so when the GM makes a good financial move I'm going to bitch about it"

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is such a bad take. "I don't care about finances so when the GM makes a good financial move I'm going to bitch about it"
But that's the thing, some may not believe it's a good financial move. Don't assume we all buy that argument.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016

Salary Cap

Real Money

How the hell are these related? I mean.....They literally aren't. Pens willingly are losing 1.5 mil Cap on this vs buyout. That's a whole bottom six player. But f*** building a team...They could save a couple million from their billionaire ownership group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad