Confirmed with Link: Pens trade Bjugstad to Wild (2m retained for conditional 7th)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Imagine if the Penguins used McCann to dump Bjugstad at his full cap hit like Florida did :laugh:
I've been saying that we didn't really win the Brassard/Sheahan deal like we all immediately thought. Bjugs has been nothing special or injured, and McCann's looked lost as he plopped around the lineup looking for a place to find his game, as well as battling injuries of his own.

I don't think either team won that trade, to be honest. :laugh: Florida cleared cap to chase Bob and Panarin that summer--though Panarin went to the Rangers and Bob's been... Uh, not great for $10 million AAV. We ended up with damaged goods that were never really any good in Bjugs, and a guy that pretty much everyone expects to be dealt to no real detriment in McCann.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
People need to be realistic, holy shit. Bjugstad hasn't been decent in 2 years and played 13 freaking games this season. We traded a player that was never going to have any type of positive impact with the Pens and didn't give up any additional draft capital to do so plus gained 2 million in cap space.
He had a very positive impact from the trade deadline on the first season with us.
Last year he was playing hurt even in the few he was in.

I still think you guys are way too hard on the guy, and he coulda been decent next year...health provided. That's a huge if though. Players can surprise you.

But I will say this makes us faster. Not sure our new 3C will be any better though. We know McCann can't do it.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was not a Bjugstad hater. I thought he was alright as the 3C last year. I was hoping they could dump him for nothing, but if I was a fan of the team that got him, I would not be happy about taking on $4.1M in cap, conditional pick or not. So to dump him for any space without taking back another shitty contract or having to add, I can't be too mad.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I think we win that easily if he doesnt get hurt. Bjustad isnt fun to watch but hes a solid nhl center.

He has the weirdest way of thinking, he wants to be a center, he isnt very good at it, is better and more noticeable/ effective on the wing, o he can use his only good trait- his heavy shot, and tends to drive to the net more as a winger, but hates playing there, despite playing a lot of games on the wing and said he wouldn't mind playing the wing when he got here.

....Figure that out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I've been saying that we didn't really win the Brassard/Sheahan deal like we all immediately thought. Bjugs has been nothing special or injured, and McCann's looked lost as he plopped around the lineup looking for a place to find his game, as well as battling injuries of his own.

I don't think either team won that trade, to be honest. :laugh: Florida cleared cap to chase Bob and Panarin that summer--though Panarin went to the Rangers and Bob's been... Uh, not great for $10 million AAV. We ended up with damaged goods that were never really any good in Bjugs, and a guy that pretty much everyone expects to be dealt to no real detriment in McCann.

We have no idea what McCann will retain.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We have no idea what McCann will retain.
Sure, but is anyone hopeful that JR's getting the most out of that, or any asset?

I don't think McCann's got significant value to begin with, but with the way we essentially just gave away the 15th overall and one of our better prospects for a guy who was publicly known to be a cap casualty for the Leafs, and could very easily end up on our third line within a month, I'm not holding out a ton of hope JR maximizes McCann's value around the league.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Severance pay means one or more payments made by an employer to an employee on account of separation from the service of the employer. A claimant receives $42,000 in severance pay. Forty percent of Pennsylvania's average annual wage ($50,699.48 for 2017) is $20,280.00.

In order for them to receive money, they had to actually do something for the company prior.

They got paid a salary to do something for the company prior. Severance pay is for separation from a company.

Trust me I know what I’m talking about here.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sure, but is anyone hopeful that JR's getting the most out of that, or any asset?

I don't think McCann's got significant value to begin with, but with the way we essentially just gave away the 15th overall and one of our better prospects for a guy who was publicly known to be a cap casualty for the Leafs, and could very easily end up on our third line within a month, I'm not holding out a ton of hope JR maximizes McCann's value around the league.

Why do we need to maximize value if we make trades that make us a better team?

Weren’t you just throwing a shit fit about our bottom six? JR just moved out a player without costing anything and opened up a spot and 2 mil to fix it.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
CBA Gurus:

do retained trades count against the player contract limit?

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I was not a Bjugstad hater. I thought he was alright as the 3C last year. I was hoping they could dump him for nothing, but if I was a fan of the team that got him, I would not be happy about taking on $4.1M in cap, conditional pick or not. So to dump him for any space without taking back another shitty contract or having to add, I can't be too mad.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why do we need to maximize value if we make trades that make us a better team?

Weren’t you just throwing a shit fit about our bottom six? JR just moved out a player without costing anything and opened up a spot and 2 mil to fix it.
Making us a better team through a trade is maximizing the value of an asset... And if anyone thinks cap space is our friend with JR at the helm, there are several recent signings you should look into. Outside of spending huge to land a guy like Pietrangelo and using Letang to land a stud 3C or something, I don't see anything significant happening in free agency that makes us a better team. Maybe we take a chance on Haula, who could turn out to be a steal if he regains his Vegas era play, but he's been pretty underwhelming since his leg injury. Otherwise, I don't think free agency is really a means to fix any legit issues. Free agency is for tinkering with your lineup and perfecting things, not completely reshuffling areas of your roster. Guys are always too expensive and there are too many suitors involved to get quality for decent prices.

I'm not bent out of shape like Emp is about eating $2 million in dead cap by retaining 50% of Bjugs' deal, and in a vacuum $2 million in cap space is good. But again, JR is an absolute maniac in free agency, so we'll see how it plays out. As for Bjugs, he was a non-entity in our bottom six (he played, what, 45 games across two seasons with the team?), and one of the ineffective or downright bad players we needed to move. I'm glad he's gone. I'd have liked us to retain less than the absolute max, but it is what it is.

We'll see what this old schmuck has in store for the rest of the off-season. with the guy saying he's trying to clear space to make some moves in free agency, I'm starting to wonder if you were right about potentially dangling Letang on the trade block.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Making us a better team through a trade is maximizing the value of an asset... And if anyone thinks cap space is our friend with JR at the helm, there are several recent signings you should look into. Outside of spending huge to land a guy like Pietrangelo and using Letang to land a stud 3C or something, I don't see anything significant happening in free agency that makes us a better team. Maybe we take a chance on Haula, who could turn out to be a steal if he regains his Vegas era play, but he's been pretty underwhelming since his leg injury. Otherwise, I don't think free agency is really a means to fix any legit issues. Free agency is for tinkering with your lineup and perfecting things, not completely reshuffling areas of your roster. Guys are always too expensive and there are too many suitors involved to get quality for decent prices.

I'm not bent out of shape like Emp is about eating $2 million in dead cap by retaining 50% of Bjugs' deal, and in a vacuum $2 million in cap space is good. But again, JR is an absolute maniac in free agency, so we'll see how it plays out. As for Bjugs, he was a non-entity in our bottom six (he played, what, 45 games across two seasons with the team?), and one of the ineffective or downright bad players we needed to move. I'm glad he's gone. I'd have liked us to retain less than the absolute max, but it is what it is.

We'll see what this old schmuck has in store for the rest of the off-season. with the guy saying he's trying to clear space to make some moves in free agency, I'm starting to wonder if you were right about potentially dangling Letang on the trade block.

There are plenty of useful pieces this year in free agency that could help solidify our bottom six. Question is how much he pays for it.

I’d love to add a player like Jonas Larsson or Nieto to the 4th line.

TVR would be a great depth 3rd pairing D.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They got paid a salary to do something for the company prior. Severance pay is for separation from a company.

Trust me I know what I’m talking about here.
And so do I! And the severance package is based on what they did and how long they were employed prior to being let go. For example: IF you work for a company for say two years and I work for that same company for say ten years, and we had similar jobs within the company, my severance package relative to yours would be much more lucrative.

DEPT of Labor:Severance pay is often granted to employees upon termination of employment. It is usually based on length of employment for which an employee is eligible upon termination. There is no requirement in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) forseverance pay.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
There are plenty of useful pieces this year in free agency that could help solidify our bottom six. Question is how much he pays for it.

I’d love to add a player like Jonas Larsson or Nieto to the 4th line.

TVR would be a great depth 3rd pairing D.
Nieto is interesting, and a Nieto-Blueger-Tanev 4th line sounds miles better than a ZAR-Blueger-Tanev line, especially if they're allowed more of an all-around role as opposed to simply playing the shutdown style. A Petts-TVR pairing sounds a hell of a lot more solid than anything we've had recently, but I'll still die on the "we need offensive depth beyond Letang" hill. And, as you said, there's the big question as to how many Brinks trucks JR is willing to throw at whoever he decides are "his guys".

I'm not sure any of those guys really, truly moves the needle though. We'd still need a 3C or a 3rd line winger of pretty substantial degree if Blueger moves up (as well as a 4C in that case). We'd still need a 2nd pairing guy to play with Marino, and one that brings some offensive punch. I know everyone disagrees, but Petts isn't that guy imo. He just doesn't have any real semblance of offensive potential, certainly not anything approaching the kind of guy we need, and I think his strength is being a bottom pairing guy. Just like I think Blueger's strength is being the 4C who can fill the void left by Cullen if we give him better linemates, and more freedom in his role.

It'd be phenomenal if POJ blew everyone's expectations out of the water and forced his way into that 2nd pairing spot out of camp/pre-season, but that doesn't seem very realistic. The problem is, I don't think there are any solutions to that vacancy in free agency and we've damn near bled ourselves dry in terms of expendable assets of any value, so unless we plan to move someone like Hornqvist or Rust out for someone that fits our needs, I don't see a way we sort out a blueline that's desperately needed the layers of offensive pressure/production since Daley walked and Schultz decided he was done playing hockey after he signed his current deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad